How close Have you come to walking away?

Reaction score
With the state of collecting, I am seriously considering walking away. Today Just may be a bad day, But Entertainment Earth lost another order, and can't replace the Skywalker helmet I never got, Disney cancelled the order for my Skywalker saber set, and I doubt Target will ship the rest of my retros. I realize that It's fast becoming apparent that the Juice is soon going to be no longer worth the squeeze. I only started collecting modern again when Photoreal came around, but figures are becoming a complete chore to chase after. considering walking away...

Reaction score
I'm at a point in my collecting that if I miss out on stuff because of price or it being hard to find I simply don't care. Anything I acquire now and in the future is just icing on the cake and not really super important to me. I keep setting new goals for myself in what I want in my collection, but really I should just be satisfied with what I have and learn to enjoy it rather than chasing new things.

Reaction score
I was at that point a few years ago with modern stuff. In fact I did walk away, sold off all the modern stuff and boxed up the vintage stuff. Didn't look at them for several years. Then one day something brought me back. I opened up the vintage and fell in love with them again. Haven't bought many modern items since I was reactivated, maybe a couple. Vintage is now what keeps my attention. Yeah its expensive right now, but there's still deals to be had. Thrill of the hunt, that's what keeps me in it now and what I have in my collection.

Reaction score
I’m at the point in my collecting where I can stop shopping online for Star Wars figures. I’ve already stopped checking stores as it’s been utterly useless for the past 3 years here. If a store ever had anything I never made it in time. As for online as I’m in Canada the shipping plus customs kills any chance of a figure being affordable. eBay and Facebook have ridiculous prices. So I guess it’s time to try to enjoy what I have.

Reaction score
Well, yes, the Disney acquisition entirely changed my collecting habits. I had to reassess and take a choice of continuing in a limited capacity or not at all. Lately, I haven't had any issues with order cancellations or missing out on things I want, like many of you are experiencing, and I think the difference is because I have a much narrower focus in what I collect. Only TVC single carded figures from episodes 1-6. I found the older media is more readily available than the current hot property like Mandalorian merch. Some preorders are coming in a bit later than initially estimated but there is nothing I have missed out on. Perhaps cutting back on some things and finding a particular focus will bring peace of mind. I actually came very close to just collecting figures from the original Star Wars, it would make things so much simpler, but for now, I have not had any difficulty with TVC figures from episodes 1-6. I think the hardest part is figuring out what to let go and not get roped back into collecting that again while currently active on other things. I have been tempted by some of the latest clone wars figures as I used to have a collection, but have to resist.

Reaction score
Having a collecting focus is super important. It's too easy to get caught in new things and go down another rabbit hole. I struggle with that a lot. I enjoy collecting too many different things and it's something I need to work on.

Reaction score
Honestly 2018 was going to be my last year until they announced the freaking Barge!!! lol Then they somehow kept my interest in the basic line with the Jabba goons a few updates, but it's never really felt like it got better. Just that the Barge was essentially a real big snort that the high lasted a decent years worth. Now I'm right back the that ledge.

The real problem with taking a backbeat/hands-off approach is that you'll no doubt miss something you may just have wanted or been after a long while. And by the time you find out about it it's 3 times original price. I honestly don't recall it ever being this bad with Star Wars in terms of scalper prices because there was hope the store would eventually get it too, not so much anymore.

My main problem is acceptance and trying to acclimate to the new environment with limited releases and characters I want, as well as accessibility at items for certain figures. As EU is my main interest those seem to be the toughest to get whenever they are made. Or there has to be some kind of premium price attached.

Reaction score
I am just super frustrated by the preorder process. I think I am covered and bam the rug gets pulled out. The only place that has yet to cancel is bbts.

Reaction score
My frantic collecting started to end with the sequel movies, Oh, I thought Porgs were very cute and have quite a few-flock of them, BB8 and the Child figures, not too many, but as for action figures and playsets, no. I got The Barge and think it's worth it, haven't opened it up. I started buying Star Wars themed fabrics and fan made things. I'm thinking about Cele. next year and wondering, "Is there anything I would run to get?", I like Star Wars glassware, older sets like "77, Hallmark ornaments-not all offered though. But as some of you have said, picking up some "antique" collectibles is really more satisfying if the price is right. I enjoy EU also.

Reaction score
I stopped collecting a long time ago. the only thing I still buy now are the black series helmets... but I wouldn't call it "collecting" anymore... I just buy the ones I like.

Reaction score
I thought about what everyone was saying yesterday and reminded myself that I was going to have my collection sold off if something happens to me. I must get busy inventorying. but, as I have gone through stores and headed to the toy section, a lot of Star Wars items were gone, bought up? don't know. but what was left did not prompt me to buy. the prices are pretty high. I will stick to a couple figures or ships, old ones in good condition, if possible.

Reaction score
As predicted, Target cancelled my retros, despite the order stamp of 4:01 when they went up for preorder at 4. I tried getting them in store, but every case they brought from the back was ripped open and no Cara Dune. how does this happen when you are there at opening and they are register locked??? This was across 5 Targets! I was happier focusing on vintage. This week alone, Limited Skywalker saber set cancelled, Retros cancelled, and EE lost my Red 5 Skywalker helmet, and refunded me then cancelled the order, despite them being "Hot off the truck" today. It's as If someone is telling me to just walk away....

Reaction score
Poor Lobot, that's terrible! Have you called Target about the mess? ripped open? they need better supervision in the back!

Reaction score
I stopped collecting "new" figures during the early 2000s. Once Hasbro dropped the Kenner branding and past TPM , the figures became too skinny and shorter than the POTF/POTJ lines.

Only around 2015 did I get back into actively collecting Star Wars, but still nothing current.

Reaction score
You have some thinking to do. The way you want to collect now, you aren't feeling fulfilled. You have to ask yourself though, if by quitting full time, the aggravation you no longer experience will outweigh the aspects that you will still miss.
Because you may find that you have swapped aggravation for a sadness or emptiness. And if that may be the case, then a reconstructed approach and focus may be the best compromise. Finding a way to eliminate frustration by focusing on a subset approach that you are better able to fulfill.

GNT

Reaction score
It’ll all come down to how expensive the toy line gets in the next few years for me, it’s pricey atm which is a huge factor but with only small amounts of SW figures that show up here from time to time it makes it harder to collect (as if Hasbro doesn’t want people here collecting their toys) so most of the figures I get are shipped from the US which is also pricey. Can’t win.

Reaction score
To borrow a line from a Joy Division song..................don't walk away. I just think you'll regret it. You collect.....to some degree...we all do for different reasons, but I can understand the frustration...maybe take a break, reevaluate. But don't just throw in the towel altogether. Maybe look to have a specific focus like people do with a specific character. I've let the expensiveness make me more driven to get some stuff done with dios from the OT. Custom figures and scenes take a lot of time & energy and it's kinda good to channel my enjoyment in a different way now I guess. Instead of wild hunts or keeping up with new stuff, I've limited my purchases over the last four or five years to only things I've thought about and really would like to add. That means mostly OT and mostly 3 3/4"...only a handful really compared to previous years. Makes it simple for me. Maybe you need to simplify too.

Reaction score
It's mostly a matter of getting the product into my hands. Also running out of room is making me pass on a lot of stuff namely Black series. Passed on Death trooper Archive today. Also Target had Ackbar, Luke Hoth wave woth banged up cards. Grabber Royal guards to open because I have a sneaking suspicion we are about to get an Emperor's throne play set.

Reaction score
I hear you about running out of room and I hope you're right about another playset, hadn't thought about that particular possibility but I love it.

Reaction score
I may be close to calling it quits soon, we’ll see. Not only is the collection process frustrating as hell sometimes, but I’m not sold on the direction Lucasfilm is taking things. It seems like everything has an undercurrent of sequel trilogy apologia that steers the ship.

Of course, I say this as Kenobi, Andor, and ROTJ 40th are all right around the corner, ready to lure me back in. So we’ll see. Maybe a simple pause coinciding with the end of Mando season 2 is in order. (I remember the last time they teased Luke at the end of a show and it didn’t end well then.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see things offered that are now a days popular, like Mandalorian nd other shows. then the reboots of old figures. but as everyone notices, it's the sequel movies that seem to be pushed. If I'm at a con. and see action figures, I look at the date, condition of the item-as everyone does. and notice the prices-ugh! they can change from one booth to the next on the same item or figure! I've also started gathering up old loose figures and they are going up in price too! example, a loose Greedo figure with dirt and a broken antennae, $30! I did not get him! that's at a local shop.(WA. state)

Reaction score
I walled away from collecting years ago. I honestly don't miss it either. I still have some of my stuff but it sits in a closet untouched. maybe one day i will sell what i have left but i just haven't gotten around to it

However just recently I started buying old plastic model kits and im finding im getting into that same obsession i had, so im trying to stop it before it starts. The problem with models is they are a lot bigger and i dont have room.

Reaction score
I've recently been fighting with myself about minimalizing my collection and trying to cut back on a lot of things, it's quite difficult because I just don't want to let go of a lot of the things I have. Namely because if I ever wanted them back some day it would likely cost me double to triple what I got for them. My problem is I don't have a specific focus on just one property but spread out over several IP's, and that takes up a lot of room so if I ever had to move into a 1 bedroom apt someday I don't know where all of it would go. lol

Reaction score
Hasbro is already doing the "walking away" for me by reducing the lineup for the 3.75" scale, vastly raising the prices, ignoring the European market, and putting all the effort into 6".
HotToys has long since priced themselves out of my range, and FantasyFlight/Asmodee is gleefully following along.

Granted, it's a gradual process, not a one-time decision, but the Disney era has been the beginning of the end, and their stubborn refusal to sell me any real media of what I want to see is definitively not helping.

Reaction score
I've recently been fighting with myself about minimalizing my collection and trying to cut back on a lot of things, it's quite difficult because I just don't want to let go of a lot of the things I have. Namely because if I ever wanted them back some day it would likely cost me double to triple what I got for them. My problem is I don't have a specific focus on just one property but spread out over several IP's, and that takes up a lot of room so if I ever had to move into a 1 bedroom apt someday I don't know where all of it would go. lol
I am about to thin the heard. any doubles will be going to Ebay to offset the last few preorder rounds. Honesly was thinking of ditching all modern.