QUESTION How badly does damage affect the value?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I attended Boston Fan Expo over the weekend, and was finally able to meet Ashley Eckstine. She was so sweet and amazing that I decided I would pick up a Funko Pop from the show floor and go back to get her to sign that as well. Where this was sort of a last minute decision, I did not have a hard case with me and didn't want to pay $20 for one on the floor. However, the dealer I got the Pop from sold it in a soft protector.

After seeing her again, I made sure to wait about 10-15 minutes before putting the Pop back in the soft protector. Well, long story short, somehow, somewhere along the way home, it got some damage. I noticed it last night when I transferred it into the hard case. I had it personalized, so it's not like I'm going to sell it. And obviously I saw her sign it in person, but I'm curious about how badly damage to a signature can devalue it? I still enjoy it, and will always how the memories of my interactions with her, so overall, I'm very happy, but slightly upset that it did get damaged.

20240617_081122.jpg

20240617_081126.jpg

If its for you're personal collection, then the damage is minimal. I'd say the meet & greet and memento of a great experience trumps all. Ashley is an amazing person to meet. I met here 5-7 times and each was a great time.

As for value, monetarily, it does hurt to have a less than stellar autograph. Value is subjective, but you can make an educated guess from sales on eBay and deduct a little bit. Unfortunately, when you look at the damage, you will be reminded of the good and bad. Embrace the good part and try not dwell on the slight accident to the signature.

I like the two-toned color autograph. Great choice by her, I'm guessing.

Some might say try to carefully remove the second part of the smudged character name and it would look neater, but that's just my opinion.
It's what I would do if it were mine but I would need to ask advice as not something I've ever done.

If its for you're personal collection, then the damage is minimal. I'd say the meet & greet and memento of a great experience trumps all. Ashley is an amazing person to meet. I met here 5-7 times and each was a great time.

As for value, monetarily, it does hurt to have a less than stellar autograph. Value is subjective, but you can make an educated guess from sales on eBay and deduct a little bit. Unfortunately, when you look at the damage, you will be reminded of the good and bad. Embrace the good part and try not dwell on the slight accident to the signature.

I like the two-toned color autograph. Great choice by her, I'm guessing.
Thank you for the reply. I am indeed more than willing to look past it, as it is for me and in my personal collection. She is amazing, and that's why I decided to see her again before the show ended. She remembered my face, but asked to remind her of my name. Which I thought her even remembering me at all was awesome! I watched her sign a couple other things in two colors, so when she asked me if I wanted yellow or orange, I asked if she could do both. She thought it looked great when it was done, and so do I.

Some might say try to carefully remove the second part of the smudged character name and it would look neater, but that's just my opinion.
It's what I would do if it were mine but I would need to ask advice as not something I've ever done.
It's a paint marker, and I honestly don't think it would take much to wipe it off. I see your point, but I honestly think this is a little better than just having Ahsoka and a blank space.

I have a Monkees painting I did that Davy put his finger on Micky's signature when they were passing it down the line. Peter jokingly chastised Davy about it a bit which I think is a great memory, seeing them clown around together. That and I have a partial Davy print. ;) So it was left alone.

I did get Mike to resign it later as the pen I took for his sig had dried out and the original sig was washed out. :D

Back