Houston Area Reports-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i thought for sure the spurs were gonna lay down and die on that one. sorry bryan

Reaction score
LordWill said:
i thought for sure the spurs were gonna lay down and die on that one. sorry bryan
It makes a big difference when your star player, Tim Duncan, is healthy since their whole offense goes through him and it also matters when a loss sends you home. Plus I think they did a great job of responding to the Hornets runs of 10 or 12 straight points with their own. A difference this game was bench players actually making shots and good rebounding.

The biggest difference was the NBA pulling Joey Crawford from the Spurs series.

Reaction score
anybody seen indy4 yet? keep getting mixed reviews. i know i'm gonna see it anyway eventually.. just curious as to what people thought.

please no spoilers... don't wanna make people mad here

Reaction score
I saw the movie Thursday and I was entertained. I'm a huge Indy fan so that might make my opinion more positive than objective. My only real problem with the film was way too much use of CGI in the action sequences. I loved the old stunts because you knew almost all of them were actually done not produced by a computer. There are just some scenes that seem to showcase special effects work that does little to advance the plot. There were definitely some scenes that could have been cut short because they became so unbelievable in my opinion it lost my interest and had me rolling my eyes.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but I thought they relied on special effects and computer generated images too much. The comedy from the original movies was there as well as the typical Indy stunts we've come to know and love, but in some areas they just tried too hard.

Hope that helps and doesn't add to the confusion.

Reaction score
I thought it was okay, although I didn't like the end at all. I thought the comedy and action was good. I agree on the overuse of special effects and CGI.

Reaction score
the first 35 min i thought were classic indy but once he started on the adventure and ultimately til the end of the movie i thought was a total farce.did not like the angle at all.
just my opinion.

Reaction score
As a HUGE Indy fan (actually thought he was so cool I now have degrees in archaeology and history) I loved it. Especially knowing what Lucas and Speilberg based the film on and all the jokes that float around archaeology circles about UFO's and such ... great fun. I mean, who actually went to this thinking "Oscar"

Reaction score
I still haven't seen it yet as I've been working every day since last Monday

But I finally get the day off Wednesday so I may go check it out.

Reaction score
hey anyone have any FX sabers? curious as to options on how how they were mounted.

i have a darth maul fx double blade. as you can imagine, mounting is going to be somewhat cumbersome. any ideas? i have a small darth maul focus, and i'd like to mount the saber lengthwise on the wall, but the collection takes up like 2 feet of space, and the saber take up over 6 feet. will look kinda goofy i think. vertical options? anything?

Reaction score
Indy was a lot of fun. Even more the second time watching.

I just have my FX sabers mounted on the pool cue style racks Rebelscum was advertising.

Reaction score
stopped by WM on kirkwood.they had nada.i have not seen anything in a long time.some stores have only 3 or 4 figs total.

maybe hasbro is holdin out til the fall.

Reaction score
LordWill said:
hey anyone have any FX sabers? curious as to options on how how they were mounted.

i have a darth maul fx double blade. as you can imagine, mounting is going to be somewhat cumbersome. any ideas? i have a small darth maul focus, and i'd like to mount the saber lengthwise on the wall, but the collection takes up like 2 feet of space, and the saber take up over 6 feet. will look kinda goofy i think. vertical options? anything?
I also picked up 2 of the saber rack's from Phillip. I'd looked at just getting a pool cue rack, but they didn't fit right and I didn't like the look. For multiple sabers I didn't find anything that was as economical as a multiple saber rack. However, I have seen with the Darth Maul FX mounting the two bases on the wall length wise and then getting a little support piece for both ends of the sabers. Otherwise your sabers are going to start warping and drooping without the support on the tips.

There were some pictures in the prop forum of vertical & horizontal mounting, but they are not up anymore.

Here's a link to the saber racks we're talking about. I don't know if this answers the question, but it can give you an option. I have scene the Darth Maul sabers put on each side of a display, but obviously it won't be the full saber.

Rebelscum Store

Another option for mounting horizontal sabers ELITS It's a site that's part of the FX-Sabers site

Reaction score
I have a bunch of FX sabers that I have mounted in-between my SW OT movie posters. My Maul is horizontally mounted above the posters. I am using the mounts someone listed earlier at the FX-Sabers site. I love them, and they even sell a small support for the blade on horizontally mounted sabers to avoid the blade warping.

Can anyone recommend a good local dealer for Gentle Giant or Sideshow items in the downtown or north Houston/Spring/Woodands area?

Reaction score
GoldLdr said:
I have a bunch of FX sabers that I have mounted in-between my SW OT movie posters. My Maul is horizontally mounted above the posters. I am using the mounts someone listed earlier at the FX-Sabers site. I love them, and they even sell a small support for the blade on horizontally mounted sabers to avoid the blade warping.

Can anyone recommend a good local dealer for Gentle Giant or Sideshow items in the downtown or north Houston/Spring/Woodands area?
The best place I know of is Bedrock Comics. There is one on 1960 near Veterans Memorial. It's in a strip center on the left after you pass Veterans Memorial if you are coming from 45. It's next door to a Half Priced Books. Here is a link to all their Houston area stores Bedrock Comics

Reaction score
Yes, Bedrock is the best place in town. I know the Westheimer Store has a lot of the SW Sideshow figures, and they'll deliver it to a store closest to you.
They're cool like that.

Finally found a Mighty Muggs Yoda at Meyer Park WM. The rest of series 3 was there, too.

Reaction score
Rancors were out and about at Baybrook Target as well this morning.

Reaction score
Thanks Darth Bryan. I have been to bedrock several times, so I agree they are great. I was hoping that there were others as well so if bedrock doesn't have something, there is another option that isn't ebay!

Reaction score
I found one of the Mygeeto Battle packs at the Target on Fairmont last night. They also had a couple of Rancors.

Reaction score
I am mostly a prop replica collector, but today I went to FYE (for your entertainment) here at katy mills mall, and they had some star wars figures on sale. This store mostly sells cd's, and dvd's, and loosley sells toys. So just to let ya'll know.

Reaction score
I am also mostly a prop collector, with a few statues/busts thrown in. Do you have any good local stores in Katy/Houston for Props, or do you end up getting everything off the web.

Reaction score
There are a couple of props around at local comic book stores, but they are priced ridicously high. I buy mostly from associate dealers, here on RS, and eBay. Here is my collection:

Reaction score
nice stuff thor. the oiler trashcan is awesome too

Reaction score
No matter how many times I take pictures of my collection, that trashcan is always in there. Keep forgetting to take it out of the picture. Oh well, kinda treat it as a trademark.

Reaction score
lol. I love the trashcan. I'm currently displaying most of my replicas in what will someday be the theater room, but for now it's the kids play room. So when I take pics, I will have to remember to move geotracks, little people, transformers and other sundry kids toys!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I'd post and say hi. I haven't seen a thing in a month except the Darth Stewie bobblehead at TRU out at Katy Mills yesterday. I whole lot of nothing has been my toy scores of late.

My only real find has been the Mia & Tia CARS two pack.
SW related items have been pathetic on the NW side. Still haven't seen the Unleashed wave with the exception of Juno Eclipse & Maris Brood.

So if anyone has a battle damaged Vader I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Bryan

Reaction score
Saw a damaged vader at bedrock comics on westhiemer, only problem is it's fourteen bucks ugh

Reaction score
LordWill said:
did you guys know there was a lego store opening? i didn't. but then again, i'm way the hell out here in katy.
lego store at baybrook mall
Haha, I was just about to post about the LEGO store, Jorge. I had no idea we had one either until I was at Baybrook Mall today shopping around. They opened last week and are having a grand master LEGO builder build an 8 foot Yoda this weekend in the food court.
While I was there, the lady in the store was building a General Grievous LEGO, and they had a full size blue clone trooper made out of LEGO in the store. I was tempted to buy the Star Destroyer I always wanted, but I think I'll wait a bit. They also had the Ultimate Collector Millenium Falcon on display, as well as a Indiana Jones crystal skull made from clear LEGOs. You guys in the Clear Lake,Friendswood, League City, etc area should check it out for sure!

EDIT: I just watched that video and realized the employee they interviewed was the guy that sold me my LEGO set today. I didn't realize he was the manager.

Reaction score
Jedi_thor said:
I was not aware of it. Does it sale just lego products kinda like the disney store?
Yeah, it sells any kind of LEGO product you can think of that you see in Target, TRU, or Walmart. In addition, it sells the Ultimate collector sets that are sold only online or in LEGO stores such as the Star Destroyer, Millenium Falcon, and Death Star.

Reaction score
New Wal-mart exclusive comic book packs at Dunvale/Westheimer this morning.

Reaction score
Master Replicas Mini Lightsabers on sale for 9.99 at Fry's at 45 north location, and webster location. about 75 left at each location. Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS and Anakin Skywalker ROTS.

For the few prop collectors in Houston...

Reaction score
I haven't found any more of the 2008 Saga Legends Fan's Choice figures, but did get a R-3PO from 2004 "Saga" line. It was on clearance for $2.45 at the Target in Kemah. Go figure?????

Reaction score
As of 4:00 pm this afternoon, Greenspoint Wal-Mart had tons of exclusive Droid Factory sets (at least 6 to 7 cases; 12 sets in one case) and comic 2-packs (7 to 8 of each kind) - It's been a while to see so many new stuffs and with such supply, everyone should be able to get them without a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.