Hoth Rebel Trooper - VC120

GNT

Reaction score
Hasbro will be releasing a Hoth Rebel Trooper in the 2018 Vintage Collection line.

Any thoughts on this figure? Who's going to purchase it?

Reaction score
That's actually a non bearded running change that never occurred in the Legacy Collection era around 2008/2009. It did turn up in a Hoth Battle Pack shortly after though.

Reaction score
Thank the maker! I had two of this guy and sold them off a couple of years ago, been suffering sellers remorse ever since.

Reaction score
Back in the day I never could find the Hoth set with this guy, and ebay prices have always been stupidly high for it. I'm pretty excited for this one to get a reissue. I'll get atleast three of them.

Reaction score
While the repack is nice, I kind of wished that it was the mustache version. "Rebel Commander" from Vintage, even though it was a mistake.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I have more than enough of this figure from the first release (darn, I was hoping this would have been the Echo Base trooper!), and I still love the sculpt aside from the too-skinny legs. I don't think I need any more, but I think it will sell well.

Reaction score
While the repack is nice, I kind of wished that it was the mustache version. "Rebel Commander" from Vintage, even though it was a mistake.

We need all of them in the Vintage collection - EBT rerelease, Original Hoth Rebel Trooper, and Hoth Rebel Commander. Wouldn't mind seeing Toryn Farr, Major Derlin, General Riekaan and K-3PO on Vintage cards as well. Save me the trouble of making customs.

Reaction score
We need all of them in the Vintage collection - EBT rerelease, Original Hoth Rebel Trooper, and Hoth Rebel Commander. Wouldn't mind seeing Toryn Farr, Major Derlin, General Riekaan and K-3PO on Vintage cards as well. Save me the trouble of making customs.

I'm surprised the Echo Base Trooper didn't get a reissue, as hard as it was to find and how much it goes for now. Those things will sell like hot cakes if they ever reissue it.

Reaction score
I wanted the brown jacket version instead of this one. Oh well at least it is something from the OT.

Reaction score
THANK THE MAKER!! I did manage to that get the Target Hoth set... but this is a essential figure from the original Empire Strikes Back line.. awesome to get him on the classic cardback again..

hopefully the Echo Base trooper sees the light of day again (I managed to get him, but I know he was very scarce when he was released)

The original Kenner figure was actually a Battle Gear soldier but his brown painted vest made him look like the Echo Base trooper... and The Rebel Commander was a proper Hoth Battle Gear soldier

Reaction score
The Echo Base trooper would have been a much better release but I'll still pick one or two of these up.

Reaction score
Maybe they'll save the Echo Base Trooper for the Wampa battle pack with Snowtroopers. :grin:

Actually, I really would like an update for Rieekan and Derlin.

Reaction score
Good choice for a re-issue and it'll be on the same image as the Vintage version by the looks of it. Definite purchase for me.

jim

Reaction score
It is a good opportunity to get it. I have the other soldier in my collection and it takes time waiting for some fellow battles

Reaction score
I doubt it though, as I mentioned in the other thread I've got enough blasters and rifles already for these guys. :) And sorry if I referred to it as a 'scanner' thingy.

Reaction score
That likely wouldn't happen, and we all know why. But I get your meaning.

And since they're only doing 15 new figures per year, I think they need to bring back multipacks or Deluxe sets. Rieekan w/Console, and Derlin w/vehicle maintenance organizer. etc.

Reaction score
Or something spiffin' new like the Hoth base mobile cannon (they can throw in a Snowspeeder Luke for good measure). :)

Reaction score
I'd love to see Hasbro give us this with a new Hoth rebel or a generic X-Wing Pilot:

jiJlUfK.png

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Hoth Rebel troopers - ESB is my favorite SW film, and I thought the outfits looked cool.

Unfortunately, the character has been under-represented in the modern line. I also feel it's ridiculous that the bearded/moustached character has been made so many times, especially since there were only two Hoth troopers seen with facial hair in the film: Major Derlin (already made as a figure, and his outfit was different than the regular troops) and another mustached character that was briefly seen during the Hoth battle.

So, the clean-shaven troops are the ones that should really be made as troop-builders. And, it's cool that they'll be making this in TVC - I wonder if it will be a generic trooper, or based on a specific character?!

Reaction score
Based on what we've heard, I'm going to just assume that it's a simple repack of a previous figure. However, if they do plan to kitbash it somehow to mkae it appear new. I'd like for it to be the Mustached Commander.

Reaction score
What I've always done with many characters of troopers is just swap heads. It doesn't always work, sometimes you can make it work with a slight but of customization, and sometimes it works shockingly simply and fits like a glove and even fits a helmet. I've swapped imperial heads for rebels, naboo troops for imperials, anything with anything if it works. I'm just kind of OCD at times with it, so I have to have at least one that always has the original head.

Reaction score
Loved the original but I wouldn't mind them giving him different legs to get rid of the wide stance.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Loved the original but I wouldn't mind them giving him different legs to get rid of the wide stance.

Absolutely- not just the wide stance, but I've always felt the legs were sculpted too skinny for him to be wearing heavy snow gear.
Shadow-Of-The-Dark-Side-Hoth-Rebel-Trooper-Search-For-Skywalker_Big_6.jpg

Reaction score
Guys, this is just going from memory, not research. However, IIRC listed below are the Hoth rebel soldier figures that have been released in the modern line:

Hoth Rebel Trooper POTF2 line - carded w/beard & not wearing goggles (1997)
Hoth Rebel Trooper Deluxe POTF2 line w/Laser cannon - clean-shaven & with goggles on (1997)

And:

Hoth Rebel Trooper carded (Legacy line, circa 2009-ish) - there was a variant released here as well, IIRC.

Going along with this:

Two different Hoth Rebel Troopers came with the boxed Hoth set (Target Exclusive) with Hoth Laser cannons, etc. - circa 200X - IIRC, these were variants?! of the previous Legacy figures that were released carded.

And:

TVC (2011) - Rebel Soldier Echo Base Battle Gear, carded - I never even saw this figure anywhere:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=JReviews&rop=showcontent&id=873

Side-note - the below are based on specific Hoth rebel characters, not generic troopers - but I'm including them here to the sake of completion:

1) Major Derlin was released carded in 200X (not sure which line, possibly Legacy?!)

2) General Rieekan was released in a set w/the command screen from Hoth, circa 2003/2004-ish

So, do I have this right, or am I missing something?! Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guys, this is just going from memory, not research. However, IIRC listed below are the Hoth rebel soldier figures that have been released in the modern line:

Hoth Rebel Trooper POTF2 line - carded w/beard & not wearing goggles (1997)
Hoth Rebel Trooper Deluxe POTF2 line w/Laser cannon - clean-shaven & with goggles on (1997)

And:

Hoth Rebel Trooper carded (Legacy line, circa 2009-ish) - there was a variant released here as well, IIRC.

Going along with this:

Two different Hoth Rebel Troopers came with the boxed Hoth set (Target Exclusive) with Hoth Laser cannons, etc. - circa 200X - IIRC, these were variants?! of the previous Legacy figures that were released carded.

And:

TVC (2011) - Rebel Soldier Echo Base Battle Gear, carded - I never even saw this figure anywhere:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=JReviews&rop=showcontent&id=873

Side-note - the below are based on specific Hoth rebel characters, not generic troopers - but I'm including them here to the sake of completion:

1) Major Derlin was released carded in 200X (not sure which line, possibly Legacy?!)

2) General Rieekan was released in a set w/the command screen from Hoth, circa 2003/2004-ish

So, do I have this right, or am I missing something?! Thanks in advance

For non-major named characters don't forget General McQuarrie and Toryn Farr. Oh and there's the Echo Base Hoth Rebel Trooper.

Then we have modern versions of Luke and Han's TaunTauns, we have the SAGA Wampa and the new one coming out as well. For modern major players, there's Hoth Han (brown) with hood up, Hoth Han (brown) with hood down. Hoth Han (blue) hood up, Hoth Han (blue) hood down. Plus also there's the Hoth Han with open jacket. There's Luke in Hoth gear (closed scarf), Luke in Hoth (open scarf), Luke with Bacta tank, and Snowspeeder Pilot Luke. There's Hoth Leia and Chewbacca. Plus for rebel gear we have all three types of turret guns. Plus even that little...what appears to be...remote control thingy that one hoth trooper has. Plus the radar screen! Then there's, of course, the new snowspeeder. You also have more snowspeeder pilots in Dak, Wedge, and Wes Jensen. I know they've made a couple more, but not to modern standards. So you have at least two fully manned speeders with luke/dak and wedge/wes. There's also K-3PO, 2-1B, FX-7, a treadmill droid, and the Hoth Gonk and Astro's.

Then for Hoth Imperials there's the new probe droid. There's the snowtrooper, snowtrooper commander, General Veers, AT-AT Commander, and AT-AT Driver. For gear there's the E-Web blaster cannon, the BAT-AT and AT-ST.

So really, other than a few updates (2-1B needs one badly) ...I think Hoth is one of the most well represented scenes Hasbro has done in SW history. We've pretty much got it all and up to modern standard mostly. All I can really think of that's left to do is maybe a few more snowspeeder pilots, the rebel transport ship, and the echo base troop transport (little white thingy)...which I'd be ALL over!

Here's a question: are Snowspeeders like X-Wings and there are unique deco's on them for certain pilots, or are they generally all the same deco? Because I remember red on the original snowspeeder toy I had, but the latest one has grey markings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's really interesting because I always thought the HRT Echo Base trooper from the last TVC line was the one that most collectors were clamoring for. I was lucky and ended up finding a number if that one during the TVC run, along with Ponda Baba. I have 2 of this version that is going to be re-released, but I'll probably pick up another one when it comes out.

Reaction score
It's really interesting because I always thought the HRT Echo Base trooper from the last TVC line was the one that most collectors were clamoring for. I was lucky and ended up finding a number if that one during the TVC run, along with Ponda Baba. I have 2 of this version that is going to be re-released, but I'll probably pick up another one when it comes out.

Yes, to me this TVC HRT Echo Base Trooper is the best individual "generic" carded Hoth Trooper out there, and I say "generic" in quotes because it is based on a specific character, but the character isn't really named - per se. I never saw this or Ponda Baba when it was first released to retail stores, but definitely want this figures.

That being said, we still haven't seen a definitive SA troop-builder Hoth Rebel Trooper in the modern line - not even close. What I envision is one similar in appearance to the POTF2 Deluxe clean-shaven version w/the Laser Cannon (1997), but much more articulated & with removable goggles/more accessories. This is the basic look of the troopers that we saw in ESB fighting in the trenches against the AT-AT walkers, and it pretty much mirrors many of the Hoth Rebel troopers that were seen in ESB - who all had similar outfits.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love that the more representative HRT is coming in this release. That said, if EVER there was a time for Hasbro to figure out about putting multiple heads in a release, this would be it. If they could include the vintage "Rebel Commander" head - mustache and dangling scarf - it would guarantee that I purchase an extra to open to assemble that variant.

Reaction score
Just saw the new TVC2.0 cardback for this guy. Not sure I like them changing the classic backdrop color from orange to blue, or the fact that the photo seems to be enlarged now, but still glad to see this is coming.

Oh, and hey! Nice to see you back '78!! Been far too long! Or maybe you've been here all along, and I've been away too long, heh. Anyways, nice to see you posting, buddy.

Last edited: