Hotel Information (Master Thread)

Reaction score
I will be adding to this bit by bit as I track down hotels and prices. It's also a good idea for all CJ goers to look into hotels and post any additional information you come across.

In the meantime, here is the string of stations from Tokyo to Chiba-Minato along the JR Keiyo train line. There are other train lines in the area, but with these stations you won't have to change lines along the way. It does actually extend a little further past Chiba-Minato, but it branches off after that.

Note: The spelling and spacing may be slightly off as I've been romanizing from the Japanese.

Tokyo
V
V
Takaracho
V
V
Hatchobori 30 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 540 yen one way
Hotel Hokke Inn Hatchobori
http://www.hokke.co.jp/1310/ (Japanese)
Mon-Fri “A”S8800, “A”D9870, “B”S9400, “B”D10920 (available in both smoking and non-smoking)
Sat only “A”S8500 “A”D9660 “B”S9100 “B”D10710 (available in both smoking and non-smoking)
Sun only “A”S6500 “A”D8000 “B”S6900 “B”D8800 (available in both smoking and non-smoking)
“Sat & Sun Special” (per night) “A”D8600 (available in both smoking and non-smoking)
“Fri & Sat Special” (per night) “A”S8400 “A”D9450 (available in both smoking and non-smoking)

Hotel Sardonics (4 blocks away from the station in a straight line)
S8900, T15500, D15500 “Triple” 17500
Bookings: 03-3553-7200

V
V
Shiomi 30 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 450 yen one way
There appear to be no hotels within a two-block radius.

V
V
Shinkiba 25 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 380 yen one way

V
V
Kasai Rinkai Koen 28 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 380 yen one way

V
V
Maihama (where Tokyo Disneyland is) 22 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 290 yen one way
There are several up-market hotels on the Disneyland outcrop. I’m sure anybody doing the Disney thing can get info on them without too much trouble (else post here or PM me
).

V
V
Shinurayasu 20 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 290 yen one way
Hotel Emion Tokyo Bay
http://www.hotel-emion.jp/english/index.html (English)
http://www.hotel-emion.jp/english/room_rates/index2.html (seasonal room rate information)

V
V
Ichikawa Shiohama 16 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 210 yen one way

V
V
Futamata Shinmachi 12 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 160 yen one way

V
V
Minami Funabashi 10 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 150 yen one way
Mitsui Garden Hotel Funabashi LaLaport
http://www.gardenhotels.co.jp/lalaport/ (Japanese)
http://www.gardenhotels.co.jp/lalaport/room.html (rates in Japanese)
No single rooms, price depends on the time of year. Twin (1 pers.) 12000-16000, Twin (2 ppl.) 18000-24000, Twin (3 ppl.) 21000-27000; “Family Room” (3 ppl.) 24000-30000, “Family Room” (4 ppl.) 27000-33000, also other deluxe accomodation available

V
V
Shin-Narashino 5 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 150 yen one way
V
V
Kaihin Makuhari <- WHERE THE CONVENTION COMPLEX IS
Hotel Springs Makuhari
http://www.springs.co.jp/ (mostly Japanese)
S13860, T24255, D24255, Large Twin (2 ppl) 26565, Large Twin (3 ppl.) 30030, Large Twin (4 ppl) 33495, also higher-priced deluxe accommodation available

Hotel Green Tower Makuhari
http://www.greentower.co.jp/makuhari/ (semi-bilingual)
S12127, “Studio Twin” 17325, T23100, also higher-priced deluxe accommodation available (inc. double deluxe).

Hotel Francs
http://www.francs.co.jp/e/ (English)
Price depends on time of year
S6600-15000, T10000-30000, also double and higher-priced deluxe accommodation available

Hotel “The Manhattan”
http://www.the-manhattan.co.jp/other/english.html (English, see site for room rates)

Hotel New Otani Makuhari
http://www.newotani.co.jp/en/makuhari/ (English, rates on same page)

APA Hotel & Resort (Tokyo Bay Makuhari)
http://www.tokyobay-makuhari.com/english/index.html (English)
http://www.tokyobay-makuhari.com/english/guest.html (rates in English)

V
V
Kemigawahama 3 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 130 yen one way

V
V
Inagekaigan 5 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 150 yen one way
Sala Inagekaigan Hotel
http://www.salahotels.com/inagekaigan/ (semi-bilingual)
“Standard” S7500, “Casual Semi-double” (2 ppl.) 8500, Semi-double (1 pers.) 8500, Semi-double (2 ppl.) 9500, “Studio Twin” (1 pers.) 9000, “Studio Twin” (2 ppl.) 10500, “Standard Twin” (1 pers.) 9500, “Standard Twin” (2 ppl.) 11500, Triple (2 ppl.) 12500, Triple (3 ppl.) 14500

There’s another moderately priced hotel about 10 blocks down if anyone gets desperate.

V
V
Chiba Minato 8 min. from Kaihin Makuhari, 160 yen one way
Hotel Port Plaza Chiba
http://www.portplazachiba.com/ (Japanese)
S8000, S (2 ppl., someone gets to sleep on a sofa bed!) 11500, T15000, T (3 ppl. yep, sofa bed again!) 18500, also other deluxe accommodation available

Hotel New Tsukamoto
http://www.newtsukamoto.co.jp/ (Japanese)
S10395, D15015, T18480

Toyoko Inn Chiba-Minato Eki-Mae
http://www.toyoko-inn.com/hotel/00142/ (Japanese)
S6090, D8190, T8190

Reaction score
Information slightly updated. Now includes rates/links to rates for hotels close to the complex. Also included are train times and fares for stations within 30 min. of the complex. I'm not going to worry about Tokyo and Takaracho for now.

Will add hotels for the other stations soon.

Reaction score
This is a HUGE help. Thanx John. When possible can you add approximate US dollars?

*EDIT* I was using http://www.xe.com/ucc for exchange. You can also divide yen by 106.3 for the quickest rough conversion to USD. Looks like no matter how you cut it $70-90 per night is the average with multiple people. Single rooms are usually over $100 per night.

Thanx,
John

Reaction score
OK, I've put the hotels under each of the stations. I still encourage other members to post any other useful hotel information they come across, as this is definitely not an exhaustive list of all the hotels in the area, just the ones along the train line.

Now don't panic if you go for one of these and it's not available. There are plenty more hotels, and some are even close by. These hotels are on stations that may require you to change train lines once, or for you to be careful about which train you get on. They are by no means inconvenient, so hope is not lost if none of the hotels listed work out for you

As for the exchange rate, I know it's not exact, but I usually just convert 100 yen to $1.00. The dollar is a bit stronger though.

Reaction score
JohnA said:
This is a HUGE help. Thanx John. When possible can you add approximate US dollars?
Heh, no problem. Glad the degree finally came in handy

Reaction score
JohnA said:
Looks like no matter how you cut it $70-90 per night is the average with multiple people. Single rooms are usually over $100 per night.
Ooh, check the updates. There are some comfy looking sofa beds that might interest you

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
JohnA said:
*EDIT* I was using http://www.xe.com/ucc for exchange. You can also divide yen by 106.3 for the quickest rough conversion to USD. Looks like no matter how you cut it $70-90 per night is the average with multiple people. Single rooms are usually over $100 per night.
JohnA

Just to make it even simpler I've been dividing by 100. I know it is not exact but it will give you a rough idea. 20000yen is approxinately $200.00US, close enough for me.

John_sH

Thanks again for doing this. Just a quick question though regarding room sizes, how small are they in Tokyo in general? I know a few of us were more than suprised by how small European rooms were during CE. There was no way 4 people were sharing a room like in the american hotels and even 3 was tight sometimes. I know in the past I've heard everything is smaller in Tokyo so I was just wondering.

Mike

Reaction score
Michael_Ritter said:
I know in the past I've heard everything is smaller in Tokyo so I was just wondering.
Yes, Mike, you'll need a double by yourself.

John

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
JohnA said:
Yes, Mike, you'll need a double by yourself.
Cold John, so very cold.

Hey John_sH, any chance I can convince you to ban JohnA? I'll buy the first beer at the con!

Mike

Reaction score
from what i have seen online. rooms in Japan look like the are similar (in size) to some of the rooms that i stayed in in Europe. Has anyone found a great price on air travel. I have found $1300 round trip (from AZ) but thats about the cheapest i have found. Info on food prices would be great too if anyone has any. In europe i ate a lot of meals at wagamamas. great food for a good price. Any ideas in Japan?

Reaction score
Michael_Ritter said:
Thanks again for doing this. Just a quick question though regarding room sizes, how small are they in Tokyo in general? I know a few of us were more than suprised by how small European rooms were during CE. There was no way 4 people were sharing a room like in the american hotels and even 3 was tight sometimes. I know in the past I've heard everything is smaller in Tokyo so I was just wondering.
Yeah, it depends on your price range, but it's farily safe to say they'll be smaller than hotel rooms in the States. A resort hotel usually has bigger rooms because they try and make the hotel itself part of the attraction, but for a basic single room you're probably looking at a bed, small desk and chair, and not a lot of space to move around.

I saw pics of C4 where a bunch of people were drinking beer and hanging out in someone's room. That's not something most of the hotel rooms will be able to accomodate (unless everyone sits on the beds). Might be kind of fun... like meeting in a tree house or something

Reaction score
Michael_Ritter said:
Hey John_sH, any chance I can convince you to ban JohnA? I'll buy the first beer at the con!
I'm sure there's a downside but... ... What kind of beer?

Reaction score
John_sH said:
I'm sure there's a downside but... ... What kind of beer?
Sapporo, of course.

Those pics were in Andy's suite, not exactly a room. His room was like 3 of mine. LOL Still, we usually get 1 in each bed and two on the floor in sleeping bags or blow up mattresses and *still* have space to get around without stepping on people.

John

Reaction score
amdevil said:
Info on food prices would be great too if anyone has any. In europe i ate a lot of meals at wagamamas. great food for a good price. Any ideas in Japan?
I'll probably start a dedicated "getting around" thread later but looking at maps of the surrounding area there seems to be plenty to suit everyone's budget (assuming that the lowest budget someone has is around 500 yen a meal).

The only thing that might be an issue are the prices of refreshments at the complex itself. It might not be practical to duck out of the complex just for a Coke or something, and who knows how much they'll charge?

GBH

Reaction score
hey all,i head off to japan for holidays every year (the benefits of having a japanese wife
) and on the subject of food just wanted to chip in with a few things.you can eat relatively cheap over there. ramen (noodle)shops can be quite cheap and can be found everywhere.yoshinoya is a chain of cheap counter service restaurants that are everywhere too (its logo is in english and is orange),the train stations have small kiosks everywhere where you can get sandwhiches as cheap as 150yen ($1.50ish).for keeping the thirst at bay they have a great sports drink with a shocking name 'pocari sweat'
but its awesome and cheap. and for quenching the thirst alcoholically,go the asahi!!! kirin black is a nice drop too.
if you want to travel around tokyo while you are there,i'd recommend staying in tokyo and commuting out to chiba for the con.japans rail system is unbelievably efficient so you'll have little trouble.plus if you stay in tokyo you can visit Akihabara ( a few stops from tokyo central on the keihin tohokyu or yamanote line) this is the techno geek capital of japan...basically our mecca
the lines are color coded so kehin tohokyu is blue and yamanote is green.the yamanote is a loop line so its a good way to travel around and see the city.i recommend shibuya too if you go cause thats where the blister shop is.
John_sH,youve put up some really great info mate,very nice work
a few of us from australia are heading over too,most so far are first timers so im planning on showing them around tokyo.if anyone wants in,we can organize a meet up and youre welcome to come along.cant wait!

GBH

Reaction score
hey John_sH,just realised youre located in Osaka,which part mate? i went to Osaka for the first time in december,had a ball!!! stayed in shinsaibashi,met my best mate at the airport and we made drunken fools of ourselves for 3 days before heading back to yokohama.went to club pure near the dotonbori bridge.3500yen cover charge but all you can drink

god bless japan

Reaction score
GBH said:
hey John_sH,just realised youre located in Osaka,which part mate? i went to Osaka for the first time in december,had a ball!!! stayed in shinsaibashi.
Heya, I'm further down south past Tennoji but I actually work two stations up from Shinsaibashi. Hope it wasn't too cold for you!

GBH

Reaction score
Ha! it wasnt too bad,but it rained pretty hard on our last night.yokohama/tokyo was colder by mid january (we stayed for 7 weeks) I know tennoji,we had a quick look around there.became pretty familiar with the midosuji line.

Reaction score
amdevil said:
Has anyone found a great price on air travel. I have found $1300 round trip (from AZ) but thats about the cheapest i have found. Info on food prices would be great too if anyone has any. In europe i ate a lot of meals at wagamamas. great food for a good price. Any ideas in Japan?
Just thought I'd chip in too. I don't go to Japan to visit my relatives often enough, but I can always act like I know what I'm talking about since I was born there
. As for plane tickets, read in "Celebration Japan" thread. There are Japanese travel services (supposedly for Japanese people in the States) that offer really good deals in the summer. I think the cheapest I've found so far is about $920 (out of Chicago). I'm sure better deals will come out soon, although with oil prices going up again, I don't think we'll ever see deals at $500 any more. If you need more info on travel agencies, I'm sure everyone on here will be willing to help you find them
As with food, it's really cheap to eat in Japan than you think. You can get a lot for 500yen (appx $5). As GBH said, there are kiosks in train stations that have really good food for really cheap (not like here in the States where things are overpriced in travel locations b/c people need it and they can only get it there). It costs about the same as getting things in a supermarket (almost...). There are also many fast food chains (not greasy like over here) like the ones GBH mentioned and many others. Also, convenience stores (like 7/11 or Lawson) have decent food for decent price too. I would say you could probably have a good full meal there for under 1000yen. As for drinks, I'm not sure what they'll charge at the con, but they have many vending machines along the streets for 120-130yen a bottle (and even beer!). Or you can always stock up at a supermarket or somewhere and take them with you (for money conscious people like me
) I'll leave it there and let others add more!

GBH

Reaction score
and the coolest thing about the kiosk and convenience store food is that it is really fresh and good quality (unlike convenience stores in australia!!)
unless we come across a hidden gem,we're looking at AUS$1500 for airfares,$900 would be sweet! envy anyone who can get that price

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the infos guys, it really help me a lot.

I do not know if I could do the trip this year, planes tickets are way higher here ( 3278 $ for 2 people and a weekly room).

I wonder if going to the USA and then going to Japan could not be cheaper.....

Thanks again for the info guys, please continue

Reaction score
Hi All,
Has anyone heard from the CJapan hotel-people/company: JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc? I have sent 3 emails and am sending a fourth. I have heard nothing.
I need to book hotels for a bazillion people!
The Cjapan site says, "JTB GMT has reserved rooms near the event venue for Star Wars Celebration Japan attendees. Please email JTB GMT at swcj@jtb.jp for detailed hotel information and reservations." I read this, I email and I hear the chirp of a bazillion of crickets.

Have any of you booked hotel rooms yet?
~Alyssa

Reaction score
Alyssa...I did'nt wait, when CJ was first announced I booked at the New Otani which I thought was the relatively closest, and nicest place, to the event center. It was costly, but they have a lot of very nice features and you get a discount if you are a club member (free to join). I noticed a lot of Hotels in the area were/are blocked out for the CJ timeframe so "something" must be going on

Ross

Reaction score
That might be the way to do it.

If JTB can get you discounted hotel rooms (they are a travel agency after all), then they might be worth waiting for. What you could do is try calling your local branch or the one in your nearest city. They might be able to call head office or something and get things moving a little quicker.

Else you can cut out the middle man and start contacting a few hotels directly, or book online if that option is available. Don't be too concerned about the language thing, it you're patient and if it's a big hotel or hotel chain it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I did my hotel reservation online this morning. I realize my situation is different though.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that we (the mystery - now named associates) have been confirmed at the APA Hotel & Resorts Tokyo Bay Makuhari. Big thanks to the convention organizers and Megumi at JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc for booking us all in the same hotel.
Your help and patience is invaluable.
HUGE Hugz and Kissez
Love,
Alyssa

Reaction score
I wanna go but the hotel prices scare me a little - if there is anyone with space OR who's local to Seattle, and it's the Airfare that is causing second thoughts, please contact me if you are a bit flexible on dates - I can't get you there free but I can POSSIBLY get you a discounted trip if you were to fly with me.