Hot Toys Stormtrooper

Reaction score
I don't think it's milking it. They were trying to make it more comfortable and less clunky for the actors, and we're living in a world of 4K television so they were trying to make the details a bit sharper. It would have been a lot of work to make them as wonky as the originals. And the originals have so much variation that if you pick just one look then it might not look right either. This movie is going to do some things right and some things wrong--this to me seemed to be more about pragmatism. All the new troopers are more about milking fans love of troopers in my view.

They could have easily brought back the scout trooper and used an AT-AT driver for the tanks for variation, but instead we have 3 brand new troops.
You have very good points there....

Now that you've mentioned it, I wonder what type of troopers will maneuvering the AT-ACT Walkers...hmm...

Reaction score
You have very good points there....

Now that you've mentioned it, I wonder what type of troopers will maneuvering the AT-ACT Walkers...hmm...
It's the scarif variant. Instead of a biege and brown armour, it will be white and black with red details.

Reaction score
Given that Rogue One takes place just days before ANH, the classic OT Stormtroopers should have been identical to the ones in ANH. It's stupid of LFL and the production designers to make the side armor look significantly different.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Given that Rogue One takes place just days before ANH, the classic OT Stormtroopers should have been identical to the ones in ANH. It's stupid of LFL and the production designers to make the side armor look significantly different.
I'm taking it as visual interpretation update and fine with it.

Reaction score
I'm taking it as visual interpretation update and fine with it.

LFL/Hot Toys is taking it as an opportunity to sell more toys to obsessive completists. :)

As Smithers once said regarding the new Malibu Stacy doll: "She has a new hat!"

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't plan on purchasing any of the R1 figures, (yet), except for any potential Rebel fleet troopers which I don't have enough of yet from ANH. I'm probably going to stick with OT with a few exceptions here and there.

Reaction score
The old crappy, wonky, asymmetrical and rough OT Stormtrooper armors and helmets are not good for today's standards of film-making. People going into the cinema don't want to see gaffer tape or badly built armor on a hi-def 3D movie. I love the crappy OT Stormie armor, it is the one and only for me, I have no interest in getting an idealized one, but I totally get the idea of new improved stuff for the present cinematic times.

Reaction score
LFL/Hot Toys is taking it as an opportunity to sell more toys to obsessive completists. :)

As Smithers once said regarding the new Malibu Stacy doll: "She has a new hat!"
And why shouldn't hot toys not make it? Why shouldn't they attract new fans with it from this film, or offer collectors a new version, or more importantly give a chance to those who missed out on their previous ST.

I'm not a completist, and this is the ST that is definitive for me and getting as I'm glad we will have non wonky canon version from a film.

Already selling my double ANH single trooper for it.

And I'll say it, f*** the completists, hot toys! Continue giving more choice to new fan and old fans all the time.:twisted::)

Last edited:
Reaction score
These Stormtroopers will appear in R1 so they are movie accurate. Even the ROTJ Stormtroopers shown before are screen accurate. Then there are the game Stormtroopers. The only weird ones were the gold and chrome ones. But in the end these are simple repaints, some with slight sculpt changes, which bring easy money to HT's budget, and thus they are able to release new non-trooper figures not released before. While i don't care about gold or game or R1 Stormtroopers I understand the reasons behind making them

Last edited:
Reaction score
The HT ANH Stormtrooper helmet has always felt slightly off to me. Almost like the bottom half of the helmet is too large compared to the top half. I can't necessarily explain what's wrong, but my eyes can perceive it and it bugs me enough that I never bought one.

These helmets are so iconic and the designs are so subtle and complex that they really work just like human faces in terms of the likeness. So looking at the HT Stormtrooper is like looking at a really well done portrait of a person, but some proportion on their face is wrong (maybe the artist made their chin too large) and it's throwing the entire likeness off. This would be something I could forgive on a $10 action figure, but it's a dealbreaker on a $200+ action figure.

Hopefully, the Rogue One Stormtrooper fixes this issue and if it does then that will be the version that I will buy.

Also, I agree with the sentiment that certain details on the original helmets could be flat decals back in the 1970s, but today's 4K technology (which I'm sure will soon be replaced with 8K, then 16K resolution) means that they need to add more depth to the designs. As much as I love the OT costume designs, I've always been just a little disappointed when looking at high-definition photos of the actual props and how sloppily some of them appeared to have been put together.

Reaction score
You're definitely not wrong. They're very idealized. I like them but they don't look quite like the real thing. Have you seen Herb's custom helmet? It's close to dead on as I think it was scanned from the real thing but I don't think the details are as sharp as the Hot Toys one.

Reaction score
These helmets are so iconic and the designs are so subtle and complex that they really work just like human faces in terms of the likeness. So looking at the HT Stormtrooper is like looking at a really well done portrait of a person, but some proportion on their face is wrong (maybe the artist made their chin too large) and it's throwing the entire likeness off.
I thrive for accuracy when it comes to my 1:6 scale collection, but usually settle for close enough. The Hot Toys helmet seems too animated and I hate it with a passion.
i_know mentioned the custom helmet I'm using on my HT Stormtrooper, for me this new custom sculpt has the definitive iconic look of the 1977 troopers, it might be a 3D scan of a 1:1 helmet, but I think it's more likely derived from the Gentle Giant minibust.
Hot toys will need to seriously up their game if I'm to make any further purchases considering how costly they're becoming I want perfection 😃

Reaction score
That custom helmet looks pretty amazing and that's what I would have expected to see from Hot Toys.

Hot toys will need to seriously up their game if I'm to make any further purchases considering how costly they're becoming I want perfection 
I agree, if I'm paying over $200 for a Stormtrooper figure, then you should be able to stand it up right next to a photo of an actual Stormtrooper costume and not be able to tell the difference (apart from the size, of course). If it's a sub-$10 3.75" figure or a $20 6" figure, then there is a such thing as "close enough". Once the price crosses into the triple digits, then "close enough" isn't really an option (within reason, of course).

It seems like Hot Toys sculpted a Stormtrooper helmet from scratch, when they should have just scanned in the 1:1 helmet, cleaned it up some and used that. Since Stormtroopers don't actually exist, their design falls into the category of art. Those costumes are works of art, just because they were made for a movie and assembled by many different people doesn't change that fact. So, when I want to buy an action figure of these designs, I want it to be as close to a perfect facsimile as possible, not another artist's interpretation of that design. This means that a 3D scanned helmet is preferable to a hand-sculpted helmet.

To explain this another way, if I was in the market for a full sized print of Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' painting, then I would only consider buying the most perfect, computer-scanned, mechanically-produced copy that I could afford. I would NOT buy another artist's attempt to recreate that painting from scratch, not matter how close to the original it might be.

Obviously, I've bought hand-sculpted Stormtrooper toys in the past, but I didn't pay anywhere near $200 for any of them and 3D scanning wasn't really even a practical thing when the Star Wars lines relaunched in 1995. Now that the ability to scan the actual helmets into a computer and create perfect copies exists, that's all I want to see in my Stormtrooper toys (this applies to all the other Imperial designs as well).

Last edited:
Reaction score
That custom helmet looks pretty amazing and that's what I would have expected to see from Hot Toys.

I agree, if I'm paying over $200 for a Stormtrooper figure, then you should be able to stand it up right next to a photo of an actual Stormtrooper costume and not be able to tell the difference (apart from the size, of course). If it's a sub-$10 3.75" figure or a $20 6" figure, then there is a such thing as "close enough". Once the price crosses into the triple digits, then "close enough" isn't really an option (within reason, of course).

It seems like Hot Toys sculpted a Stormtrooper helmet from scratch, when they should have just scanned in the 1:1 helmet, cleaned it up some and used that. Since Stormtroopers don't actually exist, their design falls into the category of art. Those costumes are works of art, just because they were made for a movie and assembled by many different people doesn't change that fact. So, when I want to buy an action figure of these designs, I want it to be as close to a perfect facsimile as possible, not another artist's interpretation of that design. This means that a 3D scanned helmet is preferable to a hand-sculpted helmet.

To explain this another way, if I was in the market for a full sized print of Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' painting, then I would only consider buying the most perfect, computer-scanned, mechanically-produced copy that I could afford. I would NOT buy another artist's attempt to recreate that painting from scratch, not matter how close to the original it might be.

Obviously, I've bought hand-sculpted Stormtrooper toys in the past, but I didn't pay anywhere near $200 for any of them and 3D scanning wasn't really even a practical thing when the Star Wars lines relaunched in 1995. Now that the ability to scan the actual helmets into a computer and create perfect copies exists, that's all I want to see in my Stormtrooper toys (this applies to all the other Imperial designs as well).
I'm looking to purchase a Storm trooper figure but like you want the most accurate one. What do the experts on here think the most accurate one is?

thanks.

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a Storm trooper figure but like you want the most accurate one. What do the experts on here think the most accurate one is?

thanks.

Accurate to ANH? To RO?
The most accurate OT Stormtrooper remains the one from Hot Toys, followed by the Marmit. Then the Sideshow and Medicom. Not discussing here customs/modifications, but stock figures

Reaction score
Agree 100%... I sold my SSC stormie to fund HT, and I still have my Medicom(though smaller scale)& several Marmits. Their sandtrooper is still one of my favorites in that line.

Reaction score
Accurate to ANH? To RO?
The most accurate OT Stormtrooper remains the one from Hot Toys, followed by the Marmit. Then the Sideshow and Medicom. Not discussing here customs/modifications, but stock figures
Thanks everyone, what does OT stand for?:ninja:

Reaction score
It still bums me out that Hot Toys basically re-released all of their OT figures that sold out except the Stormtrooper! What gives, when they have all of their Episode VII stuff sitting on the shelf and they could sell a bunch more of these.

Still looking to pick this guy up.

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a detailed comparison between the Hot Toys Spacetrooper and the Stormtrooper? I am wondering if I can just detach the hose going to the mouthpiece and not install the backpack to make a Stormtrooper?

I know obviously the base is going to be a different color and nameplate, but items I am looking to compare include:

1. Any differences in the armor between the two (especially the back armor once the backpack is removed?
2. Once the hose underneath the mouthpiece is detached, will there be any visible connection point still seen underneath the helmet?
3. What is the height of the Spacetrooper, is he more comparable to the short or tall stormy?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Reaction score
Backpack and hose are glued to the chest piece and mouth piece.

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a detailed comparison between the Hot Toys Spacetrooper and the Stormtrooper? I am wondering if I can just detach the hose going to the mouthpiece and not install the backpack to make a Stormtrooper?

I know obviously the base is going to be a different color and nameplate, but items I am looking to compare include:

1. Any differences in the armor between the two (especially the back armor once the backpack is removed?
2. Once the hose underneath the mouthpiece is detached, will there be any visible connection point still seen underneath the helmet?
3. What is the height of the Spacetrooper, is he more comparable to the short or tall stormy?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
It is almost impossible to remove the hose and backpack and not damage the figure.
It is as tall as the Tall Stormie.

Reaction score
It is almost impossible to remove the hose and backpack and not damage the figure.
It is as tall as the Tall Stormie.

Oh man, that is a bummer to hear... So the hose and backpack come in tact as the figure sits in the shipping box?... Maybe I could remove the helmet altogether and replace it with the loose helmet that comes with Luke Stormy?

Reaction score
Unless you cut the hose, there is no easy removal of the extra parts which are making it a Spacetrooper. Plus I'd keep it as is because Stormies might get re-released some day, but I kinda think the Spacetrooper will not.

Reaction score
So if the hose is permantly attached to the helmet, you could swap out the helmet like I stated above with my loose helmet... I just need to know if the backpack can be detached in some way?

Reaction score
Hot toys makes some of the best stuff, but some of their methods are cheap.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you talking about the hose/helmet or the backpack?
I think Clutch from RPF tried to transform a Spacetrooper into a regular Stormie and he told us it was a pain in the ***, he discussed it on Sideshow Freaks. This comes from a RPF old timer. Personally I wouldn't mess with it, you might end up with damaged Spacetrooper in the process.

Reaction score
The variant backdrop is a nice touch. Especially since they used the one displayed last year with Han.