Hot Toys MMS Darth Vader and Obi Wan Kenobi

Reaction score
Probably over £300.00 for the pair, only interested in Vader myself but as I have lots of him already, the figure would need to impress me greatly if I were to go ahead & preorder it.

Reaction score
I'm loving the ben kenobi. I have sideshows but the face on mine always looked ashen and the sculpt seemed off. Looking forward to an ultimate Ben I don't need a new Vader but if he's amazing I might bite.

Reaction score
I think we can expect a $500 price tag for this duo. 8 Years since Sideshow released their versions so HT shouldn't have it too hard to offer better ones. Vader's height will again be an issue for some it seems.

Reaction score
They won't. Earlier releases offered both bundle and single purchases options. These won't be any different. Bundle will have an extra accessory and maybe a another one limited to certain markets just like the stormtrooper 2 Pack.

Law

Reaction score
This release sorta completely messes up my sense of how they're doing this. They JUST released the SSC Vader! I know it wasn't the ANH version, but is that really an important distinction when we're talking about $300 figures? Doesn't the HT one kinda cut into sales of the SSC one?

Well, I'm almost certainly in for Kenobi. The SSC one is solid, one of the better figures from that era, but it's clearly something that could be improved upon. And a phenomenal HT Kenobi would be realllly welcome. Not QUITE as much as a new ANH Luke, but still great.

The Vader, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. I really, really love the SSC version. A new Vader doesn't seem necessary to me. I'm not bothered by minor differences in the outfit enough to spend $300 so that my Vader/Kenobi display is slightly more accurate. Plus, while HT is usually beyond spectacular, they've been known to be imperfect. The Han Solo isn't quite as good as it might have been, and their Indiana Jones from the Raiders line was really poor (IMO). If Vader is one of their "it's so perfect I'm weeping" figures, I'll probably bite the bullet and grab another. But if it's not quite stellar, I'm happy to keep my SSC one.

Reaction score
Dang! I'll probably want these too! Wallet is hurting already and Hot Toys just keeps throwing these awesome releases out there! I wish they would slow down a little so my wallet could breathe for a bit.

Reaction score
This release sorta completely messes up my sense of how they're doing this. They JUST released the SSC Vader! I know it wasn't the ANH version, but is that really an important distinction when we're talking about $300 figures? Doesn't the HT one kinda cut into sales of the SSC one?
Even though it might not appear as a major distinction, i think it is in the mind of manufacturers like HT and SSC. Why bother releasing different versions in the first place if they don't believe every one of them deserve to be.
Surely, having two Vaders at the same scale on the market in such a short period of time will force part of the Customer base to make choices. Yet, HT and SSC must believe Vader is so iconic impact on sales will be minimal. And, besides, HT know they have to release their Vader sooner rather than later as they'll have plenty of new characters to release starting next year with a nexw Star Wars movie every year.
With that in mind, SSC ANH Vader being 6 years old next year, HT version will certainly push most collectors toward splashing the cash on a great update.

Reaction score
I don't feel like I need 2 Vaders but if it is amazing I'm sure I'll cave and likely keep both -- already have SS ESB/ROTJ. Due to space my plan was to just go Hoth, so all the ANH stuff while tempting I'm not 100% on board for. Figures like Chewie, R2, and 3PO don't seem so scene specific to deter me.

Reaction score
This is great news just because it allows me to delay getting Vader and focus on probe droid and then Hot Toys stuff instead.

Reaction score
I have both the Hot Toys Luke and the ROTJ deluxe Vader. I can tell you that they are not in the exact same scale when it comes to the Height & weapons. The Luke's HT lightsaber handle is slightly thinner and the blade gets thinner toward the tip. The Vader seems bit too tall next to Luke and I fear will be the same if not slightly taller then the HT Chewy when released! IMO the Chewy should have been a least a half a head taller then the protoype shown. So if you go with all HT versions instead of the SS versions they will be much closer in overall scale. To me the Droids can be slightly off if you stick with the SS versions cause they aren't human so to compare wouldn't be as noticeable IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, another two pack! Great pass for me, as the SS Obi is good enough for me not to spend $200++. I may get the vader, as the ANH Vader needs updating, so it depends on the sculpt. I am so glad that I didn't get the SS ESB Vader, as something told me to wait. I thought it was heartburn, but maybe it was the force. so for me, it depends on vader's height and sculpt. if he is still the jolly black giant, I will wait for a normal height vader. if he is awesome, I may be in.
man, hot toys is really cranking them out. I miss the days of SS releasing every 6 months when we all thought the line was dead.

Reaction score
I know I'll be in when the pre-order comes up. I'm really liking the HT offerings, so I want to get the major characters. Now if they start releasing obscure minor characters like SSC has, I'll pass on those.

Reaction score
I passed on the SSC ESB/ROTJ Vader, never felt it was worth it. This HT Vader could be an upgrade to my old giraffe SSC one.

Reaction score
I agree that the blurred lines of what qualifies as a hand in hand license sharing of SSC and HT makes one hesitate. It makes me want to go all in with HT and ignore everything SSC is doing. At these prices that option seems the most likely for me.

If HT announces R2 and/or 3PO (under the excuse that it's a shiny version 3PO or from another film) then the so-called collaboration that would prevent them from stepping on each other's toes was just for talk. Teasing the HT Vader so soon says to me that just about any character can come at any point from either or both companies.

Law

Reaction score
I have both the Hot Toys Luke and the ROTJ deluxe Vader. I can tell you that they are not in the exact same scale when it comes to the Height & weapons. The Luke's HT lightsaber handle is slightly thinner and the blade gets thinner toward the tip. The Vader seems bit too tall next to Luke and I fear will be the same if not slightly taller then the HT Chewy when released! IMO the Chewy should have been a least a half a head taller then the protoype shown. So if you go with all HT versions instead of the SS versions they will be much closer in overall scale. To me the Droids can be slightly off if you stick with the SS versions cause they aren't human so to compare wouldn't be as noticeable IMO.
The HT Luke is clearly out of scale JUST SLIGHTLY with the entire SSC line. It's been remarked upon before, and for people like me, it's a real frustrating part about HT's greater profile in the 1:6 line. I passed on Medicom because I didn't need a very expensive line of figures that didn't fit in with my 1:6 collection. When I compare SSC Bespin Luke with the HT version, the HT one looks like a human being and the SSC one looks like a doll -- the proportions are all off. But while I recognize that, I still wish HT were consistent with SSC. Having a Han Solo who can't stand anywhere near ANH Luke without looking dwarfed is going to be frustrating. And having a Vader that seems tiny next to Boba Fett will be, as well. And so on.

Reaction score
Need to really think about what I collect. With all the new lines and HT going nuts with Star Wars. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
So first it was ANH Han/Chewie, and then the pair of Stormtroopers, and now Vader/Obi-Wan. Looks like Hot Toys is going for an ANH theme so far with their line (perhaps at the request of Disney?). I'm betting ANH Luke/Leia will be the next pair revealed.

Sure would be nice if they'd offer up something soon that Sideshow HASN'T already done. Yeah, I know Chewbacca was new, but so far the ratio between new characters and remakes is heavily tilted in favor of remakes. I'm not really interested in an updated Obi-Wan, and I just got the removable helmet Vader from Sideshow, which suits me just fine. So if Hot Toys wants to just focus on ANH-themed characters for now, then how about a Grand Moff Tarkin? Or R5-D4 and some Jawas? Or some cantina aliens (Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan would make a real nice pair!).

So Luke and Leia are probably coming next, and then maybe a non-weathered C-3PO/R2-D2 to round out the main ANH cast. But I'm going to be real annoyed if we don't have any more NEW characters coming in 2015 besides Chewbacca.

Last edited:
Reaction score
According to a very reliable source on Sideshow Freaks, we can indeed expect another couple figures from ANH in the (very) near future. Luke and Leia seem like a good bet. This same source hinted at two more figures from ESB and three from ROTJ (Luke Jedi being one of them) before HT starts focusing on TFA.

Reaction score
Well hopefully one of the ESB figures is Hoth Leia since Sideshow neglected to offer her with the recent Hoth Luke and Hoth Han. I'm betting one of Hot Toys' other ESB figures is an updated Bespin Han. I may buy that one since the Sideshow version is awful.

As for ROTJ, yeah an updated Jedi Luke is a given. A Slave Leia is what I'm hoping for the most, so we can finally have one to go with Sideshow's Jabba the Hutt. An Endor Han would be another likely ROTJ figure if Hot Toys is just going to focus on main characters at first.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So first it was ANH Han/Chewie, and then the pair of Stormtroopers, and now Vader/Obi-Wan. Looks like Hot Toys is going for an ANH theme so far with their line (perhaps at the request of Disney?). I'm betting ANH Luke/Leia will be the next pair revealed.

Sure would be nice if they'd offer up something soon that Sideshow HASN'T already done. Yeah, I know Chewbacca was new, but so far the ratio between new characters and remakes is heavily tilted in favor of remakes. I'm not really interested in an updated Obi-Wan, and I just got the removable helmet Vader from Sideshow, which suits me just fine. So if Hot Toys wants to just focus on ANH-themed characters for now, then how about a Grand Moff Tarkin? Or R5-D4 and some Jawas? Or some cantina aliens (Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan would make a real nice pair!).

So Luke and Leia are probably coming next, and then maybe a non-weathered C-3PO/R2-D2 to round out the main ANH cast. But I'm going to be real annoyed if we don't have any more NEW characters coming in 2015 besides Chewbacca.
Be prepared to be annoyed in the near future. Hot Toys will focus on the figures that sell, especially popular characters that SS released years ago that need updates. I think they will try not to overlap characters within reason, but we could see the droids since they're uber popular. Either way SS will make money, either on pre-orders or NRDs cancellations with HT preorders. They will coordinate releases to maximize profits, that's it. After HT runs through 3 or 4 versions of Vader, Han and Luke..it'll be interesting to see what will come OT wise. But then there are years of sequel trilogy stuff to produce in the meantime as well...

Reaction score
At the speed Hot Toy's is chewing these out, it won't be long before they start with characters from ESB... :wub:

Reaction score
According to a very reliable source on Sideshow Freaks, we can indeed expect another couple figures from ANH in the (very) near future. Luke and Leia seem like a good bet. This same source hinted at two more figures from ESB and three from ROTJ (Luke Jedi being one of them) before HT starts focusing on TFA.
So this will be all next year to allow breathing room for TFA?

As for the figures, it only makes sense for Luke and Leia to complete the ANH heroes line up.

Sandtrooper, and then there's ANH Vader and Obi-Wan.

For ESB, well obviously one will be Boba with the other a likely Snowspeeder Luke... or dare I say... Lando or Rebel Hoth trooper?

For ROTJ... Hmmmm... Luke Jedi, Royal Gaurd and obviously the Emperor...

Reaction score
If everything go as planned, we should indeed get all those OT figures in the next 12 months. Knowing HT, there'll be delays for sure though.

Reaction score

As for the figures, it only makes sense for Luke and Leia to complete the ANH heroes line up.

For ESB, well obviously one will be Boba with the other a likely Snowspeeder Luke... or dare I say... Lando or Rebel Hoth trooper?

A HT Boba Fett & Royal Emperor Guard...
now THAT I don't mind at all!

Curious to see HT's version compared to SSC's & Medicom's...

Reaction score

I think for ESB the obvious choices are Bespin Han and Hoth Leia. Bespin Han is a badly needed upgrade and Hoth Leia--which can easily be converted to Bespin Escape Leia with a different portrait, hands, and shoes--hasn't been done by Sideshow.

Reaction score
If these sabers light up I'm probably going to have to get them; otherwise I will stick to new never made figures just can't justify all the added expense of a new license like so many others. But I did need some extra stromtroopers though; so those I didn't mind.

Reaction score
If these sabers light up I'm probably going to have to get them; otherwise I will stick to new never made figures just can't justify all the added expense of a new license like so many others. But I did need some extra stromtroopers though; so those I didn't mind.

Dang!! Don't give HT ideas...!!
I was deciding whether to get Kenobi (if they sell separately)
& hoping I don't need to... but if light sabers is lighted... then it'll be VERY tempting- dang it! LOL

Reaction score
I can tell you if they do light up they will be fragile. The Luke Bespin I have is fragile as hell.

Law

Reaction score
I can tell you if they do light up they will be fragile. The Luke Bespin I have is fragile as hell.
I'm curious -- how do you consider it fragile? Mine seems basically fine.

I fret a little about the belt, but I wouldn't call it "fragile" -- I can't picture how to do it in a way that would be more secure. And posing the figure doesn't make worry.

I do try to take care with the PERS system, but that's more common sense than a feeling that it's fragile. It's just a delicate piece of equipment is all. ;)

That said, it can be frustrating to pose. He has trouble raising his arms straight out and forward -- they tend to want to go out to the side instead. And there's a padding on the inside of his jacket that bunches up oddly in some poses (with his arms together out in front, holding his lightsaber). Plus it rides up a lot -- feels like it's maybe the tiniest bit too small. It's possible to compensate for these things by fussing with him when you pose him, but it's a little frustrating to HAVE to fuss with him like that, I'd have preferred a jacket that fit a little better and didn't have these issues.

Reaction score
I'm curious -- how do you consider it fragile? Mine seems basically fine.

I fret a little about the belt, but I wouldn't call it "fragile" -- I can't picture how to do it in a way that would be more secure. And posing the figure doesn't make worry.

I do try to take care with the PERS system, but that's more common sense than a feeling that it's fragile. It's just a delicate piece of equipment is all. ;)

That said, it can be frustrating to pose. He has trouble raising his arms straight out and forward -- they tend to want to go out to the side instead. And there's a padding on the inside of his jacket that bunches up oddly in some poses (with his arms together out in front, holding his lightsaber). Plus it rides up a lot -- feels like it's maybe the tiniest bit too small. It's possible to compensate for these things by fussing with him when you pose him, but it's a little frustrating to HAVE to fuss with him like that, I'd have preferred a jacket that fit a little better and didn't have these issues.
I actually just got this set...agreed on most counts. I haven't tried posing him in any lightsaber-wielding poses yet, but there are articulation points in the shoulders that need attention for a natural look...the sleeves on the jacket are maybe a touch short but a quick tug when re-positioning the arms fixes it and brings the shoulders on the jacket down to a more natural contour. I think it may be more a limitation of 1/6 tailoring rather than an actual flaw as I can get him looking really natural.

But "fragile"...no, I wouldn't say so. :hmm:

Reaction score
Kenobi looks great, that is a must purchase for me. I like the Vader a lot, but I have both 1/6 Vaders so I have a hard time justifying getting another.