Holographic Nute Gunray

G

Hi everybody, i mostly discuss on the vintage forum , Well but if any of you want a custom holographic Nute gunray, or Holographic amidala coruscant as they were planned to be released by hasbro, please email me...will provide picture..
You can anyway check my other customs here: bobafettkitbashed.50megs.com
My email: vinceviard@aol.com

Reaction score
Unproduced Holo Nute Gunray on ebay

link to personal auction removed.

[ 12-01-2003, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: JoshEEE ]

Reaction score
Re: Unproduced Holo Nute Gunray on ebay

Are you sure this isn't a custom? I like... I like... but reserve not met and it's $15. How much more could they ask for it?

GNT

Reaction score

It's hard to tell from the picture, the figure is roughly the same as the first version but has an articulated elbow and maybe a few changes. Need a better picture to tell for sure because I'm sure there are people out there who have just used the first version to make a mould of it to make a hologram version.

Reaction score

I'm interested in the item but I don't know how valid it is! I DONT WANT TO GET SCAMMED!

Reaction score

Not to be a prude but you do know you're not supposed to post links to your auctions, right?

BTW what's the reserve?

Peace.

Reaction score

Originally posted by JediKnight87:
Are you sure this isn't a custom? I like... I like... but reserve not met and it's $15. How much more could they ask for it?
<font size="2" face="arial">no custom there, it was supposed to come out awhile ago (2000), and yes posting links to your own auctions is a bad thing.

Reaction score

Haha, i didnt know we wernt allowed to post auctions. But its mine and its legit i assure you

Reaction score

Reserve is a set amount that the bidder has to pay in order to get the item. For Ex let's say the bid is set at $50 and the price hasn't reached $50 yet. Bidders have to keep bidding till the reserve is met.

Btw how much is the reserve
?

Reaction score
Holographic Nute Gunray - Authentic or Knock Off?

I've had several tubs of loose figures sitting around for a while from a collection I bought several years ago. My buddy was separating the figures and came across what appears to be an unreleased Holographic Nute Gunray.

The green translucent plastic appears darker than pics I've seen of other specimens in the past. Also, the eyes and mouth have paint apps.

Let me know what you folks think. Is it a prototype or possible knock off?

Reaction score
I've had several tubs of loose figures sitting around for a while from a collection I bought several years ago. My buddy was separating the figures and came across what appears to be an unreleased Holographic Nute Gunray.

The green translucent plastic appears darker than pics I've seen of other specimens in the past. Also, the eyes and mouth have paint apps.

Let me know what you folks think. Is it a prototype or possible knock off?
Looks very much like a bootleg. Where did your friend get the figure?

Reaction score
Interesting. The outer robe appears to be from the Episode I figure, but the other parts don't. I'm not sure what it is.

Reaction score
Looks very much like a bootleg. Where did your friend get the figure?
Like I said, this was part of a collection I picked up several years ago. I don't even remember the original owner's name or where he got this from. Besides color, it looks identical to the unreleased Holographic Nute Gunray.

Rebelscum.com; Star Wars Toy News Archive

Interesting. The outer robe appears to be from the Episode I figure, but the other parts don't. I'm not sure what it is.
The stamp on the bottom says Hasbro China 2000 LFL.

Reaction score
Like I said, this was part of a collection I picked up several years ago. I don't even remember the original owner's name or where he got this from. Besides color, it looks identical to the unreleased Holographic Nute Gunray.

Rebelscum.com; Star Wars Toy News Archive

The stamp on the bottom says Hasbro China 2000 LFL.
Was this friend from the US? It kind of seems like a bootleg that you would find in a foreign country.

GNT

Reaction score
Not sure about the eyes being red but other then that it looks alright.

I know a few made it out of the factory when they were getting made (I'm pretty sure a worker just made a few more just to sell) since there was a few around on ebay at the time. I kinda wish Hasbro would've gone through with it and released it.

Reaction score
Was this friend from the US? It kind of seems like a bootleg that you would find in a foreign country.
The original owner was U.S. based. The one unique thing he did with his figures was create a custom base for each one. Rather simple...took a black protech figure stand and added a round label with the series logo and figure name.

Galactic Hunter.com - Holographic Nute Gunray
Click the link for better and bigger images :).
Now that one's colors seem to match up better with mine. Thanks!

Not sure about the eyes being red but other then that it looks alright.

I know a few made it out of the factory when they were getting made (I'm pretty sure a worker just made a few more just to sell) since there was a few around on ebay at the time. I kinda wish Hasbro would've gone through with it and released it.
I don't plan on having it graded but I've considered contacting AFA to possibly verify the figure.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Reaction score
More likely than not, it is the real deal...but with some added touches.

The piece itself looks A-Ok. In pre-production terms, the Holo Nute Gunray is a relatively common piece, albeit still much rarer than any produced figure from the Hasbro line. A lot of them hit the market in 2002-2003, most coming out of Hong Kong. The color schemes varied but they had the same copyright markings and has been pointed out, the figure's lower body was indeed a new sculpt, not a "repaint" or "recast" of the 1999 Nute Gunray figure. It is certainly not a bootleg as there a healthy number of legit examples floating around in the secondary market.

The rub, however, is that the eyes and mouth are most certainly customized. You can tell from the comparatively poor paint app and I am guessing the paint itself is acrylic or something else of the model-painting mode. My educated guess is that the original owner came across this example, when they were pretty plentiful, picked it up for relatively cheap and wanted to attain the look of what he/she thought a released version would look like - so a dab of paint was added. If you look at Hasbro literature from that time, there are images of a "final" Holo Nute that indeed has red eyes and an opaque mouth. That is probably what the owner was going for.

(Adding paint to a pre-production piece...meh...even if a "common" piece, still kind of lame!)

I am aware of 4-5 different versions of this figure, including the one used in Hasbro photography.

Hope this helps! By the way, AFA probably won't grade or authenticate due to the touchup's but I could be wrong...

Reaction score
I am the owner of the 2 with the chip in the pic linked from GH and I tend to think what ^ said is true. I've seen pics of one of these with the paint apps that were going to be used for production and yours doesnt look anything like them and home made. Someone probably got a legit pre production piece and added the paint. I would say this would decrease it's value and would look into finding a way to possibly remove this paint without damaging the prototype.