Hidalgo On Luke In The Sequels

Reaction score
I remember someone interviewed Colin Treverrow (sp?) well before TLJ came out and while he was still listed as the director for E IX and he stated how much he was looking forward to working with Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in E IX. I can't remember the whole interview, but he did make it sound like both were supposed to be alive in E IX.

I don't know what to think of these new rumors and all. The only thing I can say is that if Disney really wanted to reboot the SW franchise because GL could still cash in on the OT characters, then it puts things into a completely different persepective. My hope is that Disney, even though they've made their money back, has realized it didn't work.

Reaction score
That website is so blatantly biased against Disney and TLJ it's not even funny. I'm no TLJ fan myself but they at least need to be somewhat honest in their "journalism".

They are quoting a "rumor" from a YouTuber named Doomcock in that one article...I mean it may end up true but idk...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing this for the simple reason that it is known that a large proportion of the fee paid by Disney was in shares - ergo, GL wins regardless and this probably wouldn't make much difference.

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing this for the simple reason that it is known that a large proportion of the fee paid by Disney was in shares - ergo, GL wins regardless and this probably wouldn't make much difference.
Oh I thought it was the opposite - I was under the impression he actually ended up with more cash than stock.

Reaction score
here's a story from 2012 when the deal went down.
he received 2billion in cash and 2billion in stock.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-20146942
"Disney will pay about half in cash and half in stock, issuing 40 million Disney shares in the transaction."

this made GL the second largest shareholder of Disney stock
https://www.businessinsider.com/george-lucas-is-now-disneys-second-largest-single-shareholder-2013-2
"The Walt Disney Company on Wednesday registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission the transfer of more than 37 million shares of its stock to George Lucas, making him the second largest single shareholder in the entertainment giant after the estate of Steve Jobs."

-===-

and here's a story from 2015 describing how much that disney stock went UP in value, BEFORE the force awakens was even released

Disney shares have risen close to 70 per cent over the past two years, fuelled by blockbuster films such as Frozen and superhero hits from the company’s Marvel division.
Investors also have high hopes for the coming year which features two releases from its Pixar stable and the hotly anticipated Star Wars: The Force Awakens in December.

Lucas sold his Lucas film group to Disney at the end of 2012, receiving $2.2billion in cash and 37.1 million Disney shares, according to regulatory filings.
At the time, Lucas’s Disney shares were worth $1.9billion, giving the deal a total value of $4.1 billion.

But the shares he received are now also worth $4.1 billion, giving the Lucas film deal a total value of approximately $6.3 billion.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/george-lucas-makes-2-2bn-from-walt-disney-stock-1.2218740

^^ GL reaped a 2 billion profit on his disney shares, BEFORE the force awakens was even released.

Last edited:
Reaction score
See I've already encountered this...and I don't buy it. I'm not hooked for multiple reasons: 1. If the characters Lucas created are alive or not in current continuity, the merchandising of them will never stop. With the figures for both Disney's Galaxy's Edge theme park and contemporary toy sales significantly under preforming (new record lows with the toys), the stuff that DOES sell in mass is the OT themed merch. They can't afford to stop commercializing the OT. So regardless, Lucas will make his share. 2. In the case of Han Solo, predicting his death was just common sense. It's been, basically, in the works since the original ideas for ROTJ. Frankly, I'd have been more surprised if he DID survive TFA. 3. Lucas has ALREADY made his share and then some and will continue to with just the original deal alone. Regardless of what the reasoning for killing off the OT characters has been, Lucas will be laughing all the way to the bank. It doesn't effect him financially whatsoever. So I think you can def. rule out that, at least, it has nothing to do with cutting out George Lucas's share of profits. It's almost like people are looking for justifications for the poor writing...when in actuality, it's just been poor writing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That website is so blatantly biased against Disney and TLJ it's not even funny. I'm no TLJ fan myself but they at least need to be somewhat honest in their "journalism".

They are quoting a "rumor" from a YouTuber named Doomcock in that one article...I mean it may end up true but idk...
Doomcock....are they 12?

Reaction score
Nah! No style to it. Now Jugs McBulge? That has flair!
or *****Bandit6969 it has numbers in it so you know it's classy

Apparently Doomcock is okay with the censor software here but not the T word for boobs

Last edited:
Reaction score
or *****Bandit6969 it has numbers in it so you know it's classy

Apparently Doomcock is okay with the censor software here but not the T word for boobs
Hm! See here's something strange: I was trying to think of the only way to justify why **** isn't censored...and I assume it's of course because the board defines it as a rooster. Maybe someone who made the board way back when was a chicken farmer? Hah! But turns out, that's incorrect. It IS censored, just only when it's by itself. Because then I thought, if that were true, I know the three letter other old dictionary term for a donkey does NOT work. Maybe it's so intense badminton players can discuss in depth tactics of how to properly strike their shuttlecock. Hah!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hm! See here's something strange: I was trying to think of the only way to justify why **** isn't censored...and I assume it's of course because the board defines it as a rooster.
Seems like it is.

Now, if you had said cockerel...

Where is this site based anyway? The censor filter is nearly puritanical. :D Even **** (short for Richard) is censored and that's somebody's name!

Reaction score
Seems like it is.

Now, if you had said cockerel...

Where is this site based anyway? The censor filter is nearly puritanical. :D Even **** (short for Richard) is censored and that's somebody's name!
I mean granted, I get it's a family friendly board. In my own personal life, I'm rarely offended by things like foul language. I'm an R2. I drop the F-bomb with oblivious casualty, sometimes when informed of I feel slight guilt but I'm always of the "They'll get over it!" opinion. But where I usually don't slip is in front of kids, I'm usually pretty good at self-censoring in that sort of environment. That and places of worship, though I myself am not religious but occasionally find myself in a location of, which the odd thing is...when someone else does slip and cuss in those dynamics...I usually find it humorous and am personally not offended, but I supposed I get why some would be so I attempt some level of awareness. So I mean, I get it! But the thing around here? Some of the censored words just seem a bit...arbitrary.

Last edited:
Reaction score
:grin:

Well, I'm Irish, over here we use curse words to let you know that there's a noun or a verb coming.

Reaction score
:grin:

Well, I'm Irish, over here we use curse words to let you know that there's a noun or a verb coming.
While I'm not literally in Ireland, I am genetically Irish...so I totally understand. Probably explains a lot about our trash mouth lingo in our personal lives. Hah! :grin:

Reaction score
While I'm not literally in Ireland, I am genetically Irish...so I totally understand. Probably explains a lot about our trash mouth lingo in our personal lives. Hah! :grin:
Lol I'm of Irish descent as well as the son of a sailor. Cussing is oxygen

Reaction score
The map to Luke Skywalker in TFA made no sense. With the way it was depicted in the movie, it would be like looking at a map of the United States with Nebraska cut out with a pair of scissors, then everybody being perplexed for years wondering where Luke could possibly be. They clearly had a map of the rest of the galaxy and R2's map was just the last puzzle piece. So, if they were truly looking for Luke, then why not do what the Empire did in ESB and start scouring the area that they don't have a map to with probes? Start with ancient Jedi Temple locations and work out from there. They would have found Luke in a matter of weeks if they were going about the search intelligently.

But if Luke had truly gone into hiding to die and had cut himself off from the Force, then that begs the question of why the First Order even cared about him. He wasn't actively interfering with their plans and Luke sat by and did nothing while they blew up five planets, so why did they even consider Luke a threat?

EDIT: It looks like I'm way behind in this thread and was responding to a comment from an earlier page.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You actually got the thread back on topic...
...So, bravo.
Nice.

ST in a nutshell right there.
Yeah, storywise the Sequel Trilogy is a lost cause. I don't think there is any way to salvage it. As it is now, Ep9 will come out, make its billion dollars, and then no one but hardcore Star Wars fans are even going to remember it existed within a year.

Reaction score
For me the ST can be salvaged if TROS makes the events of TLJ insignificant.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are keeping up with rumors and spoilers for Ep9, but it seems that they are planning to do just that. However, it's just rumors and maybe a bit of wishful thinking at this point.

However, even if they completely undo everything that TLJ botched, we would then end up with a "trilogy" where the middle act is completely irrelevant. In that scenario, what's the rewatch value going to be on the Sequel trilogy as a whole? I'd say almost nil. If the third movie is just damage control and reversing the mistakes of the second movie, then there is no saving this trilogy. Best to just let Ep9 come and go, then forget all three of these movies ever happened.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are keeping up with rumors and spoilers for Ep9, but it seems that they are planning to do just that. However, it's just rumors and maybe a bit of wishful thinking at this point.

However, even if they completely undo everything that TLJ botched, we would then end up with a "trilogy" where the middle act is completely irrelevant. In that scenario, what's the rewatch value going to be on the Sequel trilogy as a whole? I'd say almost nil. If the third movie is just damage control and reversing the mistakes of the second movie, then there is no saving this trilogy. Best to just let Ep9 come and go, then forget all three of these movies ever happened.
The thing for me is that I WANT to accept this Trilogy. I don't want to dislike Star Wars. I personally enjoyed TFA. I didn't have any issues with it being "safe" or a retread/soft reboot. I thought it served it's purpose as an introduction for newer fans while planting interesting seeds for the next movie and bringing our Legacy characters back into the mix (knowing full well that their end was on the horizon). After TFA I was so incredibly excited for the future movies.

I would have never imagined how bad TLJ would be.

I'd have absolutely no issues with TROS basically voiding TLJ from existence. For me the Saga ends with the last shot of TFA (that beautiful sweeping shot of Luke and Rey). I hope that in December the Saga ends at the conclusion of TROS.

Reaction score
It's becoming bloody hard work though. TLJ made me actually dislike TFA it was so bad.

Reaction score
It's becoming bloody hard work though. TLJ made me actually dislike TFA it was so bad.
That's true. I wasn't happy with where TFA started, but after seeing the film I figured, ok, it's something different, let's see where it goes from here. It looked like we were going to see some interesting stuff with Luke and Rey, but TLJ just went in a completely different direction, so of course, many postive thoughts I actually had for TFA kind of went out the window.
T

Reaction score
Yes. I have a difficult time rewatching TFA since TLJ. Knowing where the story goes after TFA ends actually sucks. I waited 2 years to see what Luke's reaction would be to being handed that his lightsaber (you know...Anakin's lightsaber...the FIRST lightsaber we see on screen in the whole Saga) and we all know how that played out.

As it stands right now I'd rather keep the mystery of the Rey/Luke interaction as it was back before TLJ. That is why for me, personally, the Saga ends with the last shot of TFA.

I'm HOPEFUL that TROS changes my opinion. Even if that means "playing it safe" and relying on so-called fan service. Because honestly after TLJ I deserve to have my fan serviced everyday and twice on Sunday.

Reaction score
I saw a lot of mixed emotions on Luke's face at the end of TFA, sadness, hope, uncertainty, as well as a sense of recognizing his new destiny in the force (training Rey). What I did not see was him tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder. So, I can understand your feeling for that scene being the end of the Saga. It would have left open so many possibilities in the future.

I really want to like TROS. I really do, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out.

Reaction score
The thing for me is that I WANT to accept this Trilogy. I don't want to dislike Star Wars.
Not accepting this trilogy doesn't mean that you dislike Star Wars. I've found that the more Star Wars movies they make, the more of an OT Purist I become. And the more of an OT Purist I become, the more enjoyable and stress-free being a Star Wars fan is.

Will Ep9 redeem the Sequel trilogy? Who cares? It's not like anything Disney does will impact the greatness of the Original Trilogy or rob me of the memories I formed collecting Star Wars toys from 1978-1985.

Reaction score
to be honest, the more movies they make, the more I appreciate the PT as well. not just the OT.

Reaction score
to be honest, the more movies they make, the more I appreciate the PT as well. not just the OT.
Absolutely agree on that. They just have that certain SW feel to them - I haven't really narrowed it down to what that is. But it seems to be lacking in the newer movies
- perhaps in some years time, I find that it was there anyway.

A friend of mine keeps saying that there are now more bad SW movies than good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree to a point. TROS can make a difference. TLJ doesn't necessarily need to be insignificant, but it needs to be given purpose, it needs to have some weight applied to the story that isn't there now.

So, here's an exercise...

Episode VII: The Force Awakens
Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last jedi, has been destroyed.
With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.
Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke's whereabouts ...

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.
Only General Leia Organa's band of RESISTANCE fighters stand against the rising tyranny, certain that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will return and restore a spark of hope to the fight.
But the Resistance has been exposed. As the First Order speeds toward the rebel base, the brave heroes mount a desperate escape...

Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

*you have three lines to make whatever you like of this third movie... base it on rumors or on your own ideas. I'll post mine once I feel it represents what I think.