He-man Masters of the Universe movie - Upcoming

GNT

Reaction score
In a weird way I do enjoy the cheesiness/low budget Dolph He Man movie plus Frank Langella still gives me the creeps, I haven't watched it in years.

All I want is a great film with the characters done justice that could launch a new franchise. It needs to be a mixture of paying respect to the source material and changing a few things that might not work in a live action film.

Reaction score
Hah, I love the 1987 version. It's like "boy if we shot this whole thing in Eternia can you imagine how expensive it would be."

Reaction score
McG is no longer directing which is probably a good thing. Goyer is writing, hard to say if that's good or bad, his stuff is all over the map

Reaction score
Well, i guess it depends on what version of He-Man you're after. Something more lighthearted and comical like the old Series. Or dark and gritty like Blade, TDK, etc. If the latter is true He's your man I guess. Like you said, there's good and bad. Personally I'm after something in between because dark/gritty doesn't really feel right. Not does the other.

Maybe they should follow Rogue One's story, it had a very nice combination of several tones. Though TBH, as long as this one has been on the back burner. And all the people that have been attached only to leave. Something is very wrong somewhere.

Reaction score
To this day I HATE the cartoon. I collected MOTU and the mini comics told a verrrrry different story. both halves of the power sword could be used to open the mysterious Grayskull. (ever wonder why He Man and Skeletor had identical swords that actually snapped together? and the lock on the castle grayskull door fits the assembled door perfectly? There was no Prince Adam, He man was a barbarian that gained extraordinary powers from the enchanted chest protector gifted to him by the sorceress, when he rescued her. (btw TEELA was the sorceress).It was more fantasy and less hokum. my memory could be a tad hazy on specifics, but the original source would make the most kick-*** movie!

Reaction score
Hah, I love the 1987 version. It's like "boy if we shot this whole thing in Eternia can you imagine how expensive it would be."
Watch Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films. It's about the film company who made Heman (This was their big budget production) It available now on netflix. They made a ton of cult classics 80s films. But few actually made money, because they were making 10 times the films per a year than the big studios.

Reaction score
To this day I HATE the cartoon. I collected MOTU and the mini comics told a verrrrry different story. both halves of the power sword could be used to open the mysterious Grayskull. (ever wonder why He Man and Skeletor had identical swords that actually snapped together? and the lock on the castle grayskull door fits the assembled door perfectly? There was no Prince Adam, He man was a barbarian that gained extraordinary powers from the enchanted chest protector gifted to him by the sorceress, when he rescued her. (btw TEELA was the sorceress).It was more fantasy and less hokum. my memory could be a tad hazy on specifics, but the original source would make the most kick-*** movie!
Right there with you about the mini-comics. I absolutely loved them and the backstory they created for MOTU. I enjoyed the cartoon at the time for what it was, but I wish they would have followed the mini-comics instead. The cartoon pretty much turned He-Man into a generic superhero type character, complete with a bumbling secret identity who, by the way, looked exactly like He-Man with a slightly lighter complexion. I mean, Clark Kent at least made an effort with the glasses.

But I agree, the mini-comics would provide a great basis for a MOTU movie.

Reaction score
Could be why they are having such a difficult time producing this, they don't know which way to go. Maybe some Directors want to follow the Cartoon, while others want to follow the Comics. Hence the many Directors to come and go, as well as Producers.

I'm sure they went that route for the show because it was what worked for TV, typical formula that's been proven. MOTU went the route of not using Adam and the secret identity, so it can work. Just needs to be better this time. I also think the problem is casting the right person for him, not many talented big actors out there.

Reaction score
Count me as cynical, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not another live-action MOTU film will be any good, especially now that it's coming on the heels of a plethora of sci-fi/superhero/fantasy films. Obviously, the special effects will be first rate at this point - the concern I have is with the story/casting/etc.

I am a big fan of super-hero/sci-fi films in general, but I have been extremely disappointed with many of the ones that have come out in the past five-ten years. I did like the first Superman re-booted film (2013), Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (2014), X-men: Apocalypse (2016), and the Suicide Squad (2016). But, for the most part I've been disappointed with most of the other X-men films, most of the Spider-man films, the first Avengers film, Dr. Strange (2016), Superman & Batman (2016), and most other genre movies.

I actually did like the 1987 MOTU film - but I only began to appreciate this years after it was originally released. I re-watched that again this year and really dug the film.

It will be ironic if I end up enjoying the '87 MOTU film more than the forthcoming 2019 film - LOL.

Right there with you about the mini-comics. I absolutely loved them and the backstory they created for MOTU. I enjoyed the cartoon at the time for what it was, but I wish they would have followed the mini-comics instead. The cartoon pretty much turned He-Man into a generic superhero type character, complete with a bumbling secret identity who, by the way, looked exactly like He-Man with a slightly lighter complexion. I mean, Clark Kent at least made an effort with the glasses.

But I agree, the mini-comics would provide a great basis for a MOTU movie.
I also really enjoyed the MOTU mini-comics back in the day. Just an FYI, last year all of these were collected into one nice volume - I have this, and it's excellent:

http://news.entertainmentearth.com/2016/06/21/masters-of-the-universe-mini-comics/

Reaction score
Watch Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films. It's about the film company who made Heman (This was their big budget production) It available now on netflix. They made a ton of cult classics 80s films. But few actually made money, because they were making 10 times the films per a year than the big studios.
Saw that on Netflix. Really good documentary. Seems all you had to do was write a script and Cannon would make it.

Reaction score
Saw that on Netflix. Really good documentary. Seems all you had to do was write a script and Cannon would make it.

If only I knew back then.... but given their financial practices maybe that's a good thing

Reaction score
With the movie making technology these days they can make a really good MOTUC movie without messing with the source material(I am looking at you Bay for Transformers and Steven Sommers for GI Joe Rise of Crap I mean Cobra)and hopefully make it enjoyable. Yeah a good script helps too. No transferring the story to earth to save on production costs. Keep it on Eternia. That was my main gripe about the 1987 movie. The only scenes of Eternia were a few matte paintings. The set of Greyskull looked very confined too. The problem is doing it.

GNT

Reaction score
The movie maybe going to Netflix, it'd be great if they could turn it into a short mini series instead to flesh out the characters.

Reaction score
Interesting, Netflix has shown some good gritty stuff with several of their series. And the talent on some shows are pretty good too, but some stuff still falls into that B Movie category.

I would prefer a short series too, if it does go to Netflix. As it would give the chance and time to allow more depth to everything that a 2.5 hour Movie couldn't.

With all the bad guy characters alone, a movie would never be able to cover them. Nor would they try, and it would likely be 1 and done.
Seeing how well the Dark Crystal looks, I have a littel more confidence that they could pull off He-Man.

Reaction score
I’d love it if Netflix turned this into a short series. With she ra doing well Netflix could be a good home for Heman