Hassk Thug

GNT

Reaction score
Looks like we have a new alien in the basic TFA toy line - Hassk Thug:

Hairless wookiee perhaps? :p Never heard of this character, I suspect this character appears on Takodana.

Either way, who's up for this beast?

Reaction score
Some of these alien designs for TFA just don't feel SW to me.

Reaction score
This one is a pass for me...the design is weird, the paint app is quite poor in my opinion.

Reaction score
The green aliens named Duloks? I was thinking it looks similar to the Gorax from the first Ewok movie:

Reaction score
This guy utterly rules. What's more "Star Wars" than some ill-tempered beast-man in a dumb rubber mask, and with a generic, non-dorky name? Easily my most-anticipated figure of everything revealed in the past few days (thus far).

Reaction score
So I'm guessing this new wave will start showing up after the premiere? It'll probably be months before my town sees them, considering my Target just finally started getting the Hux wave and Wal-mart and TRU refuse to restock for some reason.

Reaction score
Awesome figure - I concur with EddieU on this one: it looks awesome!!!!

Reaction score
Looks like a crossbreed between a Wookie and a Lassat (Zeb's species from Rebels)

It actually looks pretty cool.

Reaction score
Finally, another wolf-like creature! I dig them, hence the username.

Love his design. Wish the paint app was stronger.

Anyone notice that the card picture looks more like a painting?

Reaction score
To me, it looks like a ripoff of Chewie. Although the similarity to the creature from the Ewok movie is uncanny.

I'll prolly pass on this one. Unless I find him for dirt cheap, and use his head for a custom.

Reaction score
Haha! I think this character design is sweet! Feels kind of like it's pandering to people's OT nostalgia, and they'd be right -- I love it! Sometimes the simplest monster looks are better than the weirdest ones.

Reaction score
This one is a pass for me...the design is weird, the paint app is quite poor in my opinion.

Exactly. Ditto.

I spent one minute looking intently at the photo in the OP to try and find something about it to like, and nup, it's not happening for me; another stuff-up by Hasbro. Too much corner-cutting in the design. This one could have been brilliant were it not for Hasbro's cost-cutting measures and lax approach to the design:p

Reaction score
He looks like a bad monkey. Dunno yet. Might buy. The problem is, I have limited funds/space, so I don't really need all the background characters. Until I see the movie, I don't know which of these aliens are gonna have a big role, or just background cameos.

Reaction score
I actually kinda like it. Of course it could be me just liking that alien faces are being shown finally.

Reaction score
I'm sort of two minds on this. On the one hand, I feel like this guy could've been sitting around a table in Mos Eisley, much like Lak Sivrak (and then replaced for looking too cheap later). And yet he doesn't feel as Star Wars-y to me. From one perspective, I'm really missing the usual Star Wars races: Duros, Trandoshans, Ithorians, etc. Yet again, it is an entire galaxy that is always expanding, and its pretty likely, especially on a settlement planet like Jakku we'd see a lot of races from new planets and such.

Reaction score
Eh... I still say it's a weak, uninspired design. Something Marvel would've conceived of and printed during their SW comic book run back in the 70s/80s.

Reaction score
How many Thugs are in this new Star Wars movie?

That will end up in some weird Bud Spencer cantina fight... Old Han inbetween... must be a fun movie!

I kind of like every new TFA 3.75" alien... as long as faces are not covered with yellow visors

Reaction score
Let me be pessimistic for a sec. Is it possible there's some intent by Disney as to why there's so many new characters in the TFA movie? I had a notion that it's possible every new character in the movie is worth thirty million dollars to Disney in toy sales and merchandise sales outside the movie; feel me? So they would be inventing as many characters as they can squeeze into movie, then wallah, time to rake in the money afterward from action figure collectors etc.

Reaction score
Let me be pessimistic for a sec. Is it possible there's some intent by Disney as to why there's so many new characters in the TFA movie? I had a notion that it's possible every new character in the movie is worth thirty million dollars to Disney in toy sales and merchandise sales outside the movie; feel me? So they would be inventing as many characters as they can squeeze into movie, then wallah, time to rake in the money afterward from action figure collectors etc.
So far I have not seen more characters than any of the other movies. And for a movie release we are still lagging way behind the prequel initial waves of figures. I mean episode 1 had like 40 figures released in 99 with another 10 or so in 2000. Same with episode 2 and 3. They were all in the 30-40 range of figures.

If anything this is the most lackluster release so far with the lowest amount of unique figures for a movie tie in.

So pretty much the exact opposite...

Reaction score
Man, I HOPE so!

Reaction score
Cool alien design, not too impressed with Hasbro's execution though unfortunately.

Reaction score
I red < that's how it should be spelled, past tense of read; now where's the linguists responsible for our language?:wtf:) from an official write-up about the movie, that we've only seen 1/3rd of the characters so far from the TFA movie in action figures, so it looks like there's might be more than any previous SW episode.

Reaction score
He looks like an Ewoks cartoon villian. Unkar looks like a Droids cartoon villian. I am seeing a trend here.
Yeah, seems they're recycling old ideas/designs. Rebels did it with Chewie's McQuarrie concept, TFA is using all sorts of old concept imagery, so it isn't too far-fetched for me to believe they're taking somewhat irrelevant (now) series and using them as a platform for design.

Reaction score
I red < that's how it should be spelled, past tense of read; now where's the linguists responsible for our language?:wtf:) from an official write-up about the movie, that we've only seen 1/3rd of the characters so far from the TFA movie in action figures, so it looks like there's might be more than any previous SW episode.
I hope we continue to see a ton more. I think the character options are at the very least interesting. Got my interest peaked!

Don't know if Aussie rules English is somehow different, but the spelling of the past tense of "read" here in the U.S. is still "read". Understanding the difference in tense requires a recognition of context; there is no spelling change...

Reaction score
Don't know if Aussie rules English is somehow different, but the spelling of the past tense of "read" here in the U.S. is still "read". Understanding the difference in tense requires a recognition of context; there is no spelling change...
My verbose 2 cents: Yes, i appreciate what you're saying, and yes it's the same here in Australia for the use of "read", but since i'm a linguist translator this particular use of "read" having to be defined by the readers discernment has always been a pet-peeve of mine concerning grammar in general, it could be deemed nictpicking by me but i'm adamant personally that the spelling of "read" needs to be modified, as we usually use the spelling of a word to define context for present-tense, transitive current tense, past tense and future tense, like... there is, there are, there was, there shall, as is usually the case, so i'm down on the linguists responsible for this anomaly, I wish they would change it. If i had my way the past tense of "read" would be spelled "red". An example of the misuse of "read" in our language... "For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues every Sabbath day." < yes our brain defines the correct context, but it shouldn't need to IMO, better spelling would have been more appropriate... "Did you read it? Yes, I have red it"

The current use of "read" in the English language seems to be the only egregious instance of breaking all English grammar rules, technically speaking. A bit like the action figure of this thread "Hassk Thug", he seems to be the only one IMO that doesn't seem like a quintessential Star Wars character:grin:

Reaction score
Eh... I still say it's a weak, uninspired design. Something Marvel would've conceived of and printed during their SW comic book run back in the 70s/80s.
A comic series which I absolutely loved (including all the wacky, SW characters that came out of this era eg: Jaxxon).
probably why I like this guys as well :p

Reaction score
My verbose 2 cents: Yes, i appreciate what you're saying, and yes it's the same here in Australia for the use of "read", but since i'm a linguist translator this particular use of "read" having to be defined by the readers discernment has always been a pet-peeve of mine concerning grammar in general, it could be deemed nictpicking by me but i'm adamant personally that the spelling of "read" needs to be modified, as we usually use the spelling of a word to define context for present-tense, transitive current tense, past tense and future tense, like... there is, there are, there was, there shall, as is usually the case, so i'm down on the linguists responsible for this anomaly, I wish they would change it.
That is the longest sentence I've ever seen in my life.

Reaction score
That is the longest sentence I've ever seen in my life.
I don't mind breaking a few world records from time-to-time:awesome:. But did you notice how the fluency of the syntax precluded you needing to take a breath while reading that longest sentence you've ever seen in your life? Ingenious design always makes things effortless for the user/participant. You'll find conversely that many times technically people overuse full stops.

Reaction score
I don't mind breaking a few world records from time-to-time:awesome:. But did you notice how the fluency of the syntax precluded you needing to take a breath while reading that longest sentence you've ever seen in your life? Ingenious design always makes things effortless for the user/participant. You'll find conversely that many times technically people overuse full stops.
You'll find that since this a forum consisting purely of written word, white space needs to be taken into account.

White space, much like in a screenplay, helps with ease of reading. They function like paragraph breaks and help highlight the important parts of your replies.

I suggest you take note of the writing styles on here and try to adapt.

Reaction score
In response to the criticism towards this figure in that it's "not Star Wars:" I think it's a good thing the backgrounders we've seen so far are not cantina/Jabba's Palace ripoffs. I'd rather see new designs for the new movie as opposed to similar designs to stuff we saw 30+ years ago.