Questions Due: Friday, September 16, 201
Responses Returned: Monday, October 3, 2011

Questions Due: Friday, October 14, 2011
Responses Returned: Monday, October 31, 2011

Questions Due: Friday, November 11, 2011
Responses Returned: Monday, November 28, 2011

Questions Due: Friday, December 2, 2011
Responses Returned: Monday, December 19, 2011

Since questions are due by 10AM, I'm planning to send them in on Thursday nights.

We get to submit 2 questions each round. I will pick them from what is posted here...although I already plan to submit one asking about the distribution problems.

Our latest answers:
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbros_93rd_STAR_WARS_QA_The_Answers_137872.asp

Roundup report (will be updated as new sites post their sessions):
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbros_93rd_STAR_WARS_QA_RoundUp_Report_137871.asp

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Re: Hasbro\'s STAR WARS Bi-Weekly Q&A Session - Part 11

Dear Hasbro,

We've seen some pics of the upcoming tauntaun and it looks fantastic! It seems to be one of the most highly anticipated releases and I am assuming it might come with a Luke figure as well as possibly be released again with Han further down the road. Will we also see a carded Hoth Luke figure in 2011? He is among the most wanted on many fans lists, we've seen some great figures in The Vintage Collection so far and this core character is overdue for the VC treatment!

Reaction score

Are Greedo from "Sphere of Influence," Chewbacca from "Wookie Hunt," or Sy Snootles from "Hunt for Ziro" planned for inclusion in The Clone Wars line?

Reaction score

Dear Hasbro,
Short and to the point, when are we going to see a new very well sculpted without bulky softgoods OT Yoda? The last time the be all end all Jedi Master got a new OT figure was seven years ago!!

Reaction score

What a dismal lot of answers... Whoever fielded those questions lacked any of the enthusiasm I've seen in previous Q & A's. I really wish Rebelscum had left the bonus commentary as a question. It was much more to the point and educated in terms of addressing the distribution debacle.

My concern/question is this:

Without proper consideration, it seems an annual report at Hasbro might suggest that the Vintage line has turned out to be less successful than it originally had. Its nearly June, and the 5 Targets in our area (that usually can't keep up with the local demand) still dangle the same 30+ Clone Troops and Sandtroops I saw back in January... Hasbro's sluggish sales can easily be attributed to poor distribution strategies, but I can only imagine that the sales reports don't tell this side of the story. I'd buy 50 new figures tomorrow (doubles in several cases) if you'd just get me something - anything - new on the shelf! Does Hasbro still consider the Vintage line a success given the way sales have obviously slowed or have they postponed any assessment of the line's success in lieu of correcting the distribution mis-steps and the ultimate deprivation it has thus caused in the market?

Perhaps I'm reading into the answers that were given, but in previous Q & A's, there seemed to be no definitive end in sight for the vintage line. This recent round of answers seems to hint at 2012 culminating in the end of the Vintage line.

Reaction score

rogerthat said:
What a dismal lot of answers... Whoever fielded those questions lacked any of the enthusiasm I've seen in previous Q & A's. I really wish Rebelscum had left the bonus commentary as a question. It was much more to the point and educated in terms of addressing the distribution debacle.

My concern/question is this:

Without proper consideration, it seems an annual report at Hasbro might suggest that the Vintage line has turned out to be less successful than it originally had. Its nearly June, and the 5 Targets in our area (that usually can't keep up with the local demand) still dangle the same 30+ Clone Troops and Sandtroops I saw back in January... Hasbro's sluggish sales can easily be attributed to poor distribution strategies, but I can only imagine that the sales reports don't tell this side of the story. I'd buy 50 new figures tomorrow (doubles in several cases) if you'd just get me something - anything - new on the shelf! Does Hasbro still consider the Vintage line a success given the way sales have obviously slowed or have they postponed any assessment of the line's success in lieu of correcting the distribution mis-steps and the ultimate deprivation it has thus caused in the market?

Perhaps I'm reading into the answers that were given, but in previous Q & A's, there seemed to be no definitive end in sight for the vintage line. This recent round of answers seems to hint at 2012 culminating in the end of the Vintage line.
You're basing the the success or failure of the Vintage Collection solely on the toy aisle at your local Target?
Have you checked a different store?

Anyways, Hasbro said from the very beginning that Vintage would run for 2 years. So it should come as no surprise that they are preparing to wrap things up in 2012.

Reaction score

yodashizzle said:
Dear Hasbro,

We've seen some pics of the upcoming tauntaun and it looks fantastic! It seems to be one of the most highly anticipated releases and I am assuming it might come with a Luke figure as well as possibly be released again with Han further down the road. Will we also see a carded Hoth Luke figure in 2011? He is among the most wanted on many fans lists, we've seen some great figures in The Vintage Collection so far and this core character is overdue for the VC treatment!
I second this one.

Reaction score

I sent 2 questions in this morning...

The first was the question about the previous Fans' Choice Polls, because I really liked the idea of wrapping up those choices. So let's see if there's any interest left in Nym or Twi'lek masseuses (there IS on my end!)

The second was the question about the Jedi Spirts.

I've also been told that the question about distribution that was asked...wasn't answered. So it is being asked again. I know who asked it, but I don't want to take away from them at all. So I leave it up to them to determine when/if they will talk about their session.

Bottom line...Hasbro KNOWS this is a big issue. However, I seriously doubt they'll even answer anything about it at this point.

Reaction score

bigbarada said:
You're basing the the success or failure of the Vintage Collection solely on the toy aisle at your local Target?
Have you checked a different store?

Anyways, Hasbro said from the very beginning that Vintage would run for 2 years. So it should come as no surprise that they are preparing to wrap things up in 2012.
Yes, I have checked other stores... Just used Target as an example in an already long winded concern/question. For the record, we have 2 TRU's (full of Saga Legends & CW), 3 Walmarts (Clone Wars and the occasional vintage remnants) and countless Meijers (CW, Saga Legends, everything vintage waves 1 & 2). Distribution tells the same story everywhere you turn here... I finally broke down and went with scalpers on ebay to save on gas.

Hasbro never said anything definitive regarding the line beyond 2012. They've actually declined to say, sighting conditions of its success or failure... Which is my point for asking the question.

Poor distribution is causing what would appear to be a failure for the line. While its a boon for scalpers and online stores, for collectors and Hasbro its turning out to be a nightmare. Wedge Antilles figures going for $70-160... Hasbro's take on that is what? $5 at best?

I've collected Hasbro's product for 8 years now - I've never been so inclined to spend my money on the line as I have since the vintage theme started, but there's less than ever to go around. Based on what I'm reading, I'm not alone. Yet here we are watching it burn out... It makes no sense at all.

Reaction score

Mr Curto said:

The first was the question about the previous Fans' Choice Polls, because I really liked the idea of wrapping up those choices. So let's see if there's any interest left in Nym or Twi'lek masseuses (there IS on my end!)

I've also been told that the question about distribution that was asked...wasn't answered. So it is being asked again. I know who asked it, but I don't want to take away from them at all. So I leave it up to them to determine when/if they will talk about their session.

Bottom line...Hasbro KNOWS this is a big issue. However, I seriously doubt they'll even answer anything about it at this point.
I dont get what they can say? They know its a mess, we know its a mess. What more is there to say. Looking forward to the Spirits question, nice one.

Reaction score

I agree with you...I don't know what answer people are expecting, but at least I can say that I have passed on the feedback from the collecting community. What's left of it...

Expect more conversation about this...and other...topics, next week.

Reaction score

Perhaps I was a bit wordy in asking a pretty simple question...

Given the distribution issues that have plagued the vintage line, have sluggish sales translated into a vintage line failure to the number crunchers at Hasbro?

Reaction score

rogerthat, I would not expect Hasbro to touch that. And I expect that the line is probably successful financially, but even if it weren't, your question is so loaded that you have to understand that Hasbro will never sit at a Q&A and give some response like " Oh, yes, the line is a total failure." Not being able to find oodles of what figure you want doesn't indicate that anything is a failure. On the contrary, it would appear that with some exceptions like perhaps the Cloud Car Pilot, Dengar, 4-LOL, the Sandie and the ROTS Clone, the figures being produced are being purchased. Which in general terms is a good thing. Hasbro and retailers are making money, there's a looooong list of figures I would like to still see, but they've come and gone. That seems to indicate that product is moving, and while it's possible that the production NUMBERS are fewer for each figure and that's part of why things seem scarce, I would have to guess that Hasbro determines production cost, production quantities, and then factors in what price they sell to retailers in the hopes of making a profit and keeping the whole program running. Since a lot of that kind of information is never going to be forthcoming, I take the continued waves of figures, the answers that talk about things going into 2012 and no signs of things really failing as pretty self explanatory.

Reaction score

Dear Hasbro, How about combining the vintage line and the saga legends into one line of figures and call it the vingtage collection? Having 2 different lines of fiigures confuses collectors like myself and it whould be better overall for collectors. Have one line of figures from the clone wars line and one line of figures called the vintage collection but no more saga legends . I like the vintage collection more than saga legends every new star wars figure should be new to vintage.

Reaction score

Combining TVC and SL into one line is something that has been discussed many times on the Forcecast collecting show, including when we discussed it with Hasbro directly. While it makes perfect sense to us...it doesn't make sense to Hasbro for some reason.

I guess they like to keep the repacks separate from the other repacks.

Reaction score

yodashizzle said:
rogerthat, I would not expect Hasbro to touch that. And I expect that the line is probably successful financially, but even if it weren't, your question is so loaded that you have to understand that Hasbro will never sit at a Q&A and give some response like " Oh, yes, the line is a total failure." Not being able to find oodles of what figure you want doesn't indicate that anything is a failure. On the contrary, it would appear that with some exceptions like perhaps the Cloud Car Pilot, Dengar, 4-LOL, the Sandie and the ROTS Clone, the figures being produced are being purchased. Which in general terms is a good thing. Hasbro and retailers are making money, there's a looooong list of figures I would like to still see, but they've come and gone. That seems to indicate that product is moving, and while it's possible that the production NUMBERS are fewer for each figure and that's part of why things seem scarce, I would have to guess that Hasbro determines production cost, production quantities, and then factors in what price they sell to retailers in the hopes of making a profit and keeping the whole program running. Since a lot of that kind of information is never going to be forthcoming, I take the continued waves of figures, the answers that talk about things going into 2012 and no signs of things really failing as pretty self explanatory.
I agree. Even if the line was failing (and I seriously doubt that it is), Hasbro would never admit it with over a year's worth of new product coming down the pipe.

Reaction score

Now that Star Tours has rebooted itself, can we look forward to seeing our favorite, ex pilot on a vintage card? The ride was certainly a driving force keeping Star Wars fresh in people's minds for years and would be a great nod towards its nostalgia.

Reaction score

Mr Curto said:
Combining TVC and SL into one line is something that has been discussed many times on the Forcecast collecting show, including when we discussed it with Hasbro directly. While it makes perfect sense to us...it doesn't make sense to Hasbro for some reason.

I guess they like to keep the repacks separate from the other repacks.
Agreed Mr Curto and I think the lines the way they are now is confusing collectors and combing the lines of TVC and SL into one line whould be better overall for collectors. Have one line of clone wars figures and one line of vintage collection figures. Why hasbro does not want to do that is puzzling. Hasbro should do the right thing and combine the TVC and SL into one line. As a matter of fact Mr Curto you should ask hasbro either in another q and a or session or on an upcoming show of the FC Collectors Edition why they (Hasbro) won't do that.

Reaction score
Re: Hasbro\'s STAR WARS Bi-Weekly Q&A Session - Par

I disagree in combining TVC & SL - simply because in SL there are many Clone Wars figures, too.

Reaction score

bigbarada said:
yodashizzle said:
I agree. Even if the line was failing (and I seriously doubt that it is), Hasbro would never admit it with over a year's worth of new product coming down the pipe.
Granted, Hasbro isn't about to call it a failure... I guess a better way to ask is, "Did the vintage theme manage to revive the collector aimed line as hoped, increasing sales to previous levels?"

Product in the pipe and future plans really tell us nothing in terms of a line's success. Hasbro has the license and they're pretty much obligated to keep the line going. Still, Hasbro has made comments in the past regarding the collector aimed line's diminishing sales... I believe there were comments regarding the TAC, and they most certainly conceded that the initial BAD line in blue packaging didn't at all meet their expectations. I believe the reason they sited was that the number of collectors had fallen off drastically. I for one think it had to do with the lousy packaging choices they were making. As long as they did that, I kept my figures loose - and bought just one... When the package became attractive, I started buying two. I'm pretty certain I'm not alone in this.

Perhaps I'm wrong about the line being hurt by the abundance of Sandtroopers and Clone Troopers clogging the shelves. Maybe I'm just living in a bubble here - a land of pegs never getting fresh stock and 4 month old product still sitting like an imperial army waiting to get deployed... That's usually a sign sales are slow, but apparently not in this case. I must be naive or just plum confused...

For the record, in the 8 years that I've been collecting, I've never once missed a figure - never once did I find myself in the situation I'm currently in now: buying scalped figures online. While a couple were tougher to find, I always got my figures locally and at retail. The current situation is like nothing I've ever seen. I blame the Sandtroops and Clones.

Reaction score

For starters, I hear what you're saying. I hope my posts wasn't read as an attack, I think you're spot on about some things. If you feel frustrated seeing these damned sandies and ROTS clones, you are definitely not alone. And I'd agree that some figures seem to be nigh impossible to find in this line, many of us are struggling in our hunts in the wild. It's not only possible that slow guys like sandtroopers and yellow helmeted clone(s?) are indeed hurting things, I'd go so far as to say that they are huge disappointmens for fans and Hasbro alike. We don't want 'em, Hasbro isn't seeing them sell and that hurts things down the road. BUT...it's not clear that the Vintage Collection line as a whole is failing. I don't know the numbers, Hasbro doesn't give out some information. Asking for it is just not worthwhile, they'll never tell some of these things. I think many of us are seeing a combination of things that is causing us to feel really irritated, and I'm with you on that, I'm not just trying to sound like I'm placating you, I am genuinely sympathetic because I can't find stuff. It happened with Legacy too. There are TONS of figures that I missed out on in either the numbers I'd like or actually in more cases, I missed them completely. Uneven distribution, poor quantities, all those things are part of this deal. I'm just saying that even though a lot of people feel irked by all this, Hasbro ain't never gonna take the kind of accountability to the level that some ask for.

It's also a case of the old addage about attracting flies with vinegar and honey. On a certain level, Hasbro is like anyone, they tend to respond better to questions that don't castigate them. On distribution, the answers tend to be standard, vague, and essentially useless. Even on a particular figure or vehicle though, they usually field questions that aren't focused on tearing them a new one, you know? I know there's probably plenty of legitimate criticism that can be dished out, but I just don't see Hasbro ever touching some things, and other times they simply respond more to less harsh questions, that's all really.

Reaction score

A well made point... I get what you're saying - Hasbro does seem to prefer the kid gloves. Thank you for your courteous response... I was a little afraid my own might earn me the "troll" dismissive.

Cheers... Roger

Reaction score

rogerthat said:
For the record, in the 8 years that I've been collecting, I've never once missed a figure - never once did I find myself in the situation I'm currently in now: buying scalped figures online. While a couple were tougher to find, I always got my figures locally and at retail. The current situation is like nothing I've ever seen. I blame the Sandtroops and Clones.
Here in Germany, there had indeed been figures that had been rare - but with TLC, things went worse.

The infamnous EU wave ... - a novelty ! I have NEVER seen in my now about 12 or so years of modern collecting A WHOLE WAVE evading me !

That was new to me - and it was so frustrating to me it broke my fun I had with collecting.

Collecting with a whole wave missing just isn't fun to me.

And when collecting isn't fun anymore, THEN I'll quit.

Right now, I'm buying only 1 figure in about 3 months - which is partially because of the increased prices as well.

And the almmost total absence of the gamprrean guard ... breaking, too. Especially since I always wanted to have those backcards as well ( I was a vintage collector in the 80s as well !).

Reaction score

I post like twice a year, usually seeing my concerns or points I want to make already voiced by someone else. I'm seeing those now as well, but I feel a need to add my voice to the growing and understandable clamor.

Dear Hasbro,

In my opinion, you are doing a splendid job of making detailed elite figures while heeding fan's polls and various site wishlists, giving both kids and collectors pretty much exactly what they want: versatile articulated toys with as much play value as any 3 3/4 has ever had. Each ensuing line gets better and better, with a great range of mains, aliens, OTs, PTs, EUs, troops, and droids. Great stuff!

However, what good does all that do for us consumers if we never even see the figs on the pegs? This is not a one-time "Solo Kids" wave kind of thing, but a pretty consistent problem. Every wave, particularly desirable offerings or not, is in short supply, sparesly found. When I hear at Fairs or Cons all the greatness you guys are planning, I get so thrilled, salivating over long months to get these much (and long) desired figs and vehicles. I've got the money! I've got the interest! I live within 30 miles of 8 Wal-Mart supercenters, 3 Targets, 2 TRUs, 2 K-Marts (still open and operating!), and a Kohl's, plus every variety of Walgreen's-level store, so I also got the opportunity! But nobody has anything. There are a few extremely old waves (some 2009 Legacy and even some TAC!), as well as a few first-wave or peg-warmer Vintage. I already own all these in droves, and I would spend just as much or more if new stuff was there. But no timely figs are released on schedule, ever. After a few months, the waves will be over, never having been available anywhere.

All my collector friends around the country are having the same problem. And we are sharks, going to EACH store several times a week. At my most local Wal-Mart, there are a few 4-LOMs, Grievouses, Manga Guards, and older wave figs (absolutely great offerings, but ones most of us already possess). It seems the most desired figs always, always, always coincidentaly happen to be the ones that are never available (Gamorreans, for example). What kind of business repeatedly denies the most prevalent collector requests? You listen so well to most or essentially all of our demands like champs up until distribution and availability.

My question is, why? I don't mean to be snarky; I just want to know why, really. I realize that you are selling lots of figs, and that the desirable ones only look rare because they are selling so fast. I know the line is a success. But why not re-card and re-distribute the ones that are here today, gone today? Is it that you don't know which figs will get hot until all the manufacturing and distribution strategy stuff is done? I'm just saying, it shouldn't be too hard to know beforehand what you need to make abundantly accessible and obtainable. You make like 80% of the top Fan's Choice figs like true champs but then hide them in some bunker somewhere. With figs already approaching 10 bucks each, how can you expect to sell really big numbers unless you give us a chance to buy the ones we really want? How hard can it be to re-card a Jacen, a Jaina, a Revan, a Kun, a Tholme, a Tarados, a Thi-Sen, a Hondo, a "Goldie," a Gamorrean? I understand the concept behind exclusives like Netrum Pollard or Teek. But I'm talking about figs one is supposed to be able to walk into a store and buy for one's $7.99 or another product listed at basic retail for a basic price. You re-pack so many others, why not those? And I'm not just talking about a Boba Fett/Quinlan Vos/Starkiller has a daughter wearing a two-piece kind of thing either; I'm also talking about basic guys, like Fi-Ek Sirch. Regardless of the popularity, it seems like ALL the figs are actually getting rarer to see (but especially the big faves). Why not re-card and re-distribute? Everybody involved would win! Why?

Okay, that's pure venting, and I don't expect for this stuff ever to be posted, especially in present form. I just wanted to support the 93rd session "commentary" question or something like it, as why so many distribution problems and why not fix them with some re-cards. I know they actually re-card plenty, like the upcoming Spacetrooper. But it does seem like every guy I go in to find happens to be the one never there.

Reaction score

Guys, I'm just going to throw this out there. I'm not making excuses on Hasbro's behalf, but I think there are some things to consider...

First, Star Wars is a line that initially had a run between 1978 and 1985 with Kenner. The current "modern" line has been going since 1995. So a seven year run and a sixteen year run with no end yet in sight for the current one. With big retailers like Wal-Mart, Target, TRU, and K-Mart, Hasbro has to compete for space. Sometimes with other toys that Hasbro makes, but generally, Star Wars is pretty unique in that every summer, some movies get churned out and toy pegspace gets rearranged to accomodate. There's an ebb and flow, but Star Wars has maintained a steady presence. You can't say the same about say, Independance Day toys. Or Tron toys. There were some when the film came out in the 80's. And there's some stuff out for this newer film. But Tron Legacy toys will not be found next year at this time or in five years at your Wal-Mart. No offense to any Tron fans and maybe my prediction will be proven false but...that is a film franchise that doesn't have the sustainable interest of Star Wars. Actually, I can't think of many things that have consistently been there through ALL the different toys that have come and gone in the last sixteen years except Star Wars. GI Joes, maybe some others have had similar multiple runs with fairly lengthly lives, but Star Wars is pretty unique in how successful it's been over a really long period and with a mountain of stuff produced. Thankfully, the line is so full of opportunities with six movies and EU that the rich potential for cool stuff is steadily realized and we all get to collect whatever things from that galaxy far, far away that we like. But my point is about how you have to be careful to do some things for a line of toys to last. Pacing is one thing. They can't give us everything all at once, and over a couple decades, slowly and steadily characters and figures finally get made, remade or rereleased. If Hasbro isn't VERY conservative in how they do things, they run the risk of doing things like flooding the market and killing the line. Keeping us hungry for more is part of the program here. And if you think about it, as much as I'd like to see pegs full of certain figures, when Hasbro underestimates demand and the pegs are cleared of the great majority of the releases, that means that they can keep putting stuff out down the road. I'll use a couple of current examples. The Gamorrean Guard and Dagobah Landing Luke. I love these two, would buy more of each. And many collector's would gladly buy these figures too. They're really good figures. But if the pegs are constantly full, and we as fans finally get our fill of wanted figures, the pegs might be stuck with guys for months after a certain point. And that not only means that new Star Wars figures can't make it onto the pegs, but the lack of product flow puts the whole line in jeopardy. It's all about Hasbro trying to successfully gauge the demand but they would rather err on the side of caution and not saturate the pegs. They'd rather keep fans hungry for more. If a figure seems to be one that is very high demand, they can rerelease in Legends, a battle pack or something to meet that demand down the road. If you look at how much pegwarming occurred in 1999, the line was in big trouble. Hasbro thought that the demand on some things would be huge and they were wrong. It resulted in Hasbro having to approach things much more conservatively. If they made a profit on the TVC Gamorrean, and there's a big demand still, they can do something about it. If the Gammie flopped and no one was buying him, they're in trouble. And the thing is, in some sense, those simple dynamics are in play ON EVERY FIGURE THEY MAKE! Think about how many guys are pegwarmers versus how many are still in demand or may have hit the level of equalibrium where most fans found the number of some figure and the stores don't have any left (figures where supply and demand roughly balanced). Hasbro shoots for that equalibrium on ALL figures ALL the time. That's a tough set of numbers and variables to get exactly correct over and over again. So I cut them a little slack. because they have to keep the line going, and every year, with every new line, they run the risk of ruining things and running Star Wars figure collecting into the ground. I'll take some irritation at not seeing more than a couple Gamorreans and Dagobah Landing Lukes in TVC so far because I'll still buy 'em if they rerelease them as a carry forward or somewhere else in the future, I only have to be patient. Or I can go online. What I CAN'T do is expect that Hasbro should make ninety billion Gamorreans JUST so I'm satisfied (or in the bigger picture the whole collecting community) because if they did that enough time swith enough figures and Wal-mart is stuck trying to sell them, then Wal-Mart will have to look to other toys and/or manufacturers to keep product moving in their stores so they can make money. They need stuff to flow to do that, and while we may like seeing availability of figures released last fall like Wicket or the pig where those guys are still on pegs because Hasbro made sure to have huge numbers available, Wal-Mart and in turn Hasbro certainly do not. They want the pegs full of NEW guys that move like hotcakes. Keeping the product flowing is the biggest obstacle for Hasbro and retailers to overcome. Finding that elusive balance between what people will buy versus how much stuff is out is harder than most folks realize.

Reaction score

<font color="green"> Its clear that something has gone wrong here with the distribution. Very wrong. I am sure it is a combination of factors and this is the result. It has been bad at times, but I guess it has never been so bad.

The thing is, the important thing is not how and if Hasbro explain this to us. That is pointless and anyway will count for nothing.

The important thing is how and if they resolve the issue. We should know that Hasbro probably knew about this issue long before we did. So lets not think that we need to point this out to Hasbro. They know! The know cos its costing them $.

Sure they could comment on it. They could apologise about it. And they could say it will be better soon. But whether they say that or not, it really doesn't matter. Would it reassure us to hear Hasbro comment on it? Well it probably would I suppose, but it is very clear after this months Q+A that for whatever reason, they REALLY don't want to comment on it. So I guess thats that.

We just have to hope that they are working it all out and that there are ways they can correct it all, so that the product starts to flow freely to our stores and we can carry on buying.

Its all very frustrating and its pretty sad, cos you have to think that sales from this last year will mean the line is going to shrink going forward, and thats sad cos its not a true reflection of demand.

Lets hope things improve soon.
</font>

Reaction score

Solution- Increase online options for the collector base. And I will beat this dead horse into quantum particles. Hasbro has even hinted at exploring this option more in the last Q&A and they are as stubborn as a mule. This way they can do direct to consumer sales, get out exact quantities and probably sell more because you won't have slaker employees leaving them in the back to get clearanced a year later nor will distribution centers be able to ship figures people would be happy to buy to areas where those happy buyers don't live. The great thing is that it wouldn't require any major overhaul or restructuring in the company that would cause short term financial stress and would actually augment their immediate profit, even add a little job growth.

Retail stores can just keep the Legends, Clone Wars and anything else that has broad casual and kid friendly appeal. However, they should rotate more interesting figures into the Legends line up to keep collectors coming to the stores because when I do my toiletry and grocery shopping it would still be nice to have an add on purchase that is not and Endor 3-PO or Kashyyyk Yoda and instead may be a Revan or VOTC Han. Lets face it, with the economy, rise in commodities, the need to focus more on the family it's just a waste of time at this day in age to hit fifteen stores just to buy a Key Lime Helmeted Clone that you think you may be able to use for a custom just so that you didn't end up coming home empty-handed. The thrill of the hunt has become straw grabbing desperation.

Reaction score

Well, yodashizzle, you pretty much answered my question! All that makes a lot of sense. I don't think they could do any better job of answering one of those types of questions than you just did. They do have to pace and plan beyond what the typical consumer (like me) can understand.

It's just frustrating to see the great Hasbro presentation at something like Toy Fair but then never actually see any of those cool products hit the shelves. It'll say something like "coming May 2011" but July will roll around and you'll never have seen it. I'm just saying that they stand to make a lot of money if people like me just had a chance to buy 'em. I'm a frugal guy who drives a clunker Pontiac and uses store-brand products. But Star Wars figures are my one hobby and only splurge. I understand the issues involved, but it's just disappointing to go to Wal-Mart twice a week (for actual shopping) and never see anything. Going down that toy aisle is like therapy for me! It's like somebody going to Taco Bell once a week for a splurge but being told every time that they are out of tacos. Hey, I know I'm pathetic, but I'm just sayin'...

All good thoughts, though. Thanks for the feedback.

Reaction score

So, Curto - what questions did you Send along? And if you not mind me asking, which site sent In the actual distribution question this last round? I want to say galactic hunter.com since they never posted answers?

Reaction score

Thanks duros, I appreciate that. Again, i don't think that there's a good excuse for HOW MUCH underestimation there seems to be in finding supply/demand equalibrium, but I do realize that there are a lot of things that go into decisions and long term thinking about keeping the line healthy is probably a big factor. But I still am peeved about not finding some of these guys just like everyone else.

my_kind_of_scum, Curto mentioned the things you asked about, here's what he said a little ways up if you missed it...

Reaction score

Isn't Galactic Hunter sending in their questions thru 16bit now?

Reaction score

Dear Hasbro, when can we expect to find out more about your upcoming Expanded Universe figures?

Reaction score

Revanfan1 said:
Dear Hasbro, when can we expect to find out more about your upcoming Expanded Universe figures?
in July from SDCC

Reaction score

yodashizzle said:
Thanks duros, I appreciate that. Again, i don't think that there's a good excuse for HOW MUCH underestimation there seems to be in finding supply/demand equalibrium, but I do realize that there are a lot of things that go into decisions and long term thinking about keeping the line healthy is probably a big factor. But I still am peeved about not finding some of these guys just like everyone else.

my_kind_of_scum, Curto mentioned the things you asked about, here's what he said a little ways up if you missed it...

Thanks. I somehow missed that post entirely.
And Curto, thank you for sending in my question. I'm expecting a big negative on Nym, but I will hold out hope...

Reaction score

Michael_Knight said:
Solution- Increase online options for the collector base. And I will beat this dead horse into quantum particles. Hasbro has even hinted at exploring this option more in the last Q&A and they are as stubborn as a mule. This way they can do direct to consumer sales, get out exact quantities and probably sell more because you won't have slaker employees leaving them in the back to get clearanced a year later nor will distribution centers be able to ship figures people would be happy to buy to areas where those happy buyers don't live. The great thing is that it wouldn't require any major overhaul or restructuring in the company that would cause short term financial stress and would actually augment their immediate profit, even add a little job growth.

Retail stores can just keep the Legends, Clone Wars and anything else that has broad casual and kid friendly appeal. However, they should rotate more interesting figures into the Legends line up to keep collectors coming to the stores because when I do my toiletry and grocery shopping it would still be nice to have an add on purchase that is not and Endor 3-PO or Kashyyyk Yoda and instead may be a Revan or VOTC Han. Lets face it, with the economy, rise in commodities, the need to focus more on the family it's just a waste of time at this day in age to hit fifteen stores just to buy a Key Lime Helmeted Clone that you think you may be able to use for a custom just so that you didn't end up coming home empty-handed. The thrill of the hunt has become straw grabbing desperation.
I don't want TVC to become and online only line of toys. The internet is usually my last resort, because I prefer to hold the figures in my hand and examine their paint apps before I purchase them. Plus there is always the impulse buy variable. Some figures I have no plans to purchase until I actually see them in person. Those impulse buys probably make up between 60-90% of all my Star Wars purchases. If TVC became online only, then there would be no more impulse purchases from me.

For example, at the beginning of 2011 there were only 2 action figures announced for this year that I had any interest in at all: Kithaba and the Weequay Skiffmaster. However, just from visiting stores and seeing the toys on the pegs, I have purchased about 20 additional figures that I originally had no plans to buy. Only the Weequay has been released at this point and I bought two of him, so over 80% of my Star Wars spending has gone to impulse buys in 2011, so far.

Reaction score

Dear Hasbro,
How about re-creating the Build-A-Droid on a larger scale? Maybe include part of a larger beast in different Battle Packs or Deluxe Figure Packs. Build your own Zillo or Rancor or Acklay.

Reaction score

Hasbro,

With the Vintage Card Wegde figure FINALLY starting to trickle into retail, and I mean trickle, there has been an enormous amount of buzz created. Seeing how he is only packed one figure per REVISION case, do you currently have any plans to make him a carry over figure? I realise this would cut down on the number of CLONES you carry over, but I think this would be a better sale generating figure then a clone or Sandtrooper.

Reaction score

Dear Hasbro
Over the full course of season 3 of TCW animated series and from the season 4 trailers of the upcoming season, we have seen lots of Characters that would have great talent as figures and would make great collection. We have had characters in new outfits, new characters and new Clones. So, from the first half of season 3 will we be seeing any of these (Captain Keeli, Greedo, Baron Papanoida, Ion Papanoida, Mandalorian Royal Guard, Mandalorian Secret Service, Moogan Soldier, Aurra Sing in black gear, Jocasta Nu, Gregar Typho, Royal Naboo Security Force, Any of the Hutts, Demolition Droid and Chata Hyoki). I feel these will make great figures but how come you are refusing to make Jedi Master Ima-Gun Di and Duchess Satine Kryze? Those two would make great collections and everyone would love those figures so I don't understand why you won't do them?

Also from the second half of season 3 will we see any of these (Nightsister, Nightbother, Talzin, Karis, New versions of Asajj Ventress (Jedi, Sith 2 and Nightsister), Ky Narec, TJ-912, Feral Opress, Halsey, Knox, Devaron ARF Trooper, ARF Commander Trauma, Toydarian Soldier, King Kaatunko, Delta Squad, Adi Gallia, Father, Son, Daughter, Qui-Gon Jinn, Admiral Tenant, Dark Side Ahsoka, ARC Troopers Echo and Fives, Osi Sobeck, Citadel Commando Droid, Security Battle Droid, Captain Tarkin, K2-B4, R2's Battle Droids, OOM-10, ARC-170 Clone Pilot, Admiral Coburn, Clone Trooper Comet, Commander Wolffe (Phase 1 Version 2), TZ-33, Clone Wolfpack Trooper, All the Trandsohan Hunters, Sugi, Wookiee Warriors and Tarfful?

And finally from the season 4 trailers, we see a lot of new oufits and the Clone phase 2 armour, so will we get any season 4 figures before the end of the year? These would make good figures from season 4 (Clone Wolfpack Trooper Phase 2, Padme Amidala in Battle Gear, Ahsoka Tano in Scuba Gear, Anakin Skywalker in Scuba Gear, Clone Trooper Jesse Phase 2, Gungan Warrior, Admiral Ackbar, Quarren Soldier, Clone Pilot Phase 2, Captain Rex Phase 2, Phase 2 Clone with shield, Clone Scuba Trooper, Commander Wolffe Phase 2, Yellow Magnaguard, Besalisk Jedi, Padme Amidala in Scuba Gear, Clone Trooper Comet Phase 2 and 327th Clone Phase 2?

Also, will we be seeing any more different gears of Padme in TCW line in the future? I really like the Padme in adventure gear but I feel that two versions is not enough, considering how many outfits she has!

Reaction score

my_kind_of_scum said:
And Curto, thank you for sending in my question. I'm expecting a big negative on Nym, but I will hold out hope...
You're welcome. I am curious as to the answer, as I happen to like Nym. I remember asking a few years back about him, and was told that they'd be more likely to make the guy from the Legacy comic (help me out here...I can't recall his name). But that was wayyyy back when, and the comic is canceled, and that guy didn't seem to be a huge part of the series anyway, right?

I also tend to like any question that asks about fan polls.