Hasbro - Ghostbusters 2020

Reaction score
Well Brickseek is useless when trying to look these up. I was at a Walmart this morning and saw a case of them on a cart. Looked them up on Brickseek and got a little bit ago “no results for your area”. Yeah right.
I get different information for each figure's SKU on Brickseek. They've said they had at least one or two of the Busters in stock for weeks now. Still no sight of one.

Reaction score
Well Brickseek is useless when trying to look these up. I was at a Walmart this morning and saw a case of them on a cart. Looked them up on Brickseek and got a little bit ago “no results for your area”. Yeah right.
That's interesting. I've had pretty good luck with it. I just check it every few days and it's been spot on for me. Where you able to get the figures?

Reaction score
That's interesting. I've had pretty good luck with it. I just check it every few days and it's been spot on for me. Where you able to get the figures?
I looked that them and passed to be honest.The only one I wanted was Egon. Distribution of these has been a nightmare. I went ahead and got Egon from Mercari and said the heck with it before I found the case this morning. The only figures I have seen of the Real ghostbusters Retros were Slimer and Staypuff that’s been it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The joke was dated in 1989 when it was new. Watching it as a kid I was like, that is a cheesy line because everyone knows no one cared about He-Man anymore in 1989. The RGB toys were one of the hottest sellers for the past 3 years at that point. But were about to be eclipsed by TMNT.
As a kid in 1989, He-Man was still pretty in. Remember, they did the New Adventures of He-Man and took him to space in a brand new series. I remember every kid wanting the Power Sword back then that had all kinds of sound effects and laser blast lights. That being said, Real Ghostbusters had an awesome foothold in the toy aisle that wasn't going away, so I'm sure it was just a tongue in cheek joke to show that not all heroes have to uber-manly.

Reaction score
I found the Plasma Collection Peter and Ray today. I grabbed Ray, then cancelled my pulse preorder. Two things: I wonder if ball jointed elbows and knees would have been a better choice? For some reason, in-hand the double joints seem strange to me.

The other thing - does anyone else have trouble getting the belt of the proton pack to snap on?

Reaction score
I found the Plasma Collection Peter and Ray today. I grabbed Ray, then cancelled my pulse preorder. Two things: I wonder if ball jointed elbows and knees would have been a better choice? For some reason, in-hand the double joints seem strange to me.

The other thing - does anyone else have trouble getting the belt of the proton pack to snap on?
Yeah I think I mentioned that a few pages back - especially on Ray (because of his waist) and Egon, their packs were not able to connect. I don't like that design. It would be fine if they built in a little slack. That's been the only real bad thing I've seen on the figures, outside of not having that little red cable on the ends of the wands like Mattel did. I liked that detail, they felt somehow more real to me. I wish they would do the wands with a clear tip as well that was a little longer. These are stubby, but it's not really noticeable.

Reaction score
I can now say Brickseek does not work when finding the Retro Kenner Ghostbusters. After I got off work I went to a Walmart about 15 minutes from my house. This store rarely gets anything exclusive. Walk in there is a carton of the figures on a pallet. I passed for now. A few minutes ago I tried to look them up on Brickseek and got “No results for your area”. They don’t have a Sku for the the whole assortment. Which is what I used to find the retro ESB figures. So I can say that Brickseek does not work from RGB.

Reaction score
Sorry Saber, I must have missed that post. It was really bothering me, so I watched a review of Ray on YouTube (I rarely do that unless I have a question about articulation [frozen joint vs not an actual joint at all]) and the reviewer said he had that problem too and one of the straps on his Venkman broke because It was too stressed. I noticed last night mine was starting to look like it was too stretched out, so I'll just let it be. I guess it can be kinda cool looking if only one or two don't have it. Almost like they had to go in a hurry or they're really struggling.

The reviewer also noted that where the Hook is on Ray's belt, Peter has a hole in his belt. I have a feeling Hasbro is gonna release these a few times over, each time adding a little more to each release. I hope they change to cable from the pack to the wand, because I feel like over time it's gonna snap. Maybe something rubbery like the power ranger/legends lightning effects?

I'm looking forward to getting the other three (like with tmnt, it just looks wrong not having them all), but I'm not so sure these hit the mark for me based on just this one.

Reaction score
Is there an assortment number like Retros? I also was lukcky and stumbled on a set...but no green ghost or Stay Puft....

Reaction score
do they come in the same case?
No I don’t think they do. I saw a case of the guys and it’s only 2 of each of the ghostbusters. Slimer(again I really hated that Kenner just referred to him as the green Ghost) and Mr Staypuff were pack I think 4 in a case. Even those to sold very well.

Reaction score
so I finally had the chance to open the Plasma Series Ghostbusters from Hasbro and compare them to the original Matty Releases and both companies have pros and cons. I think Hasbro has done an amazing job on the face sculpts, articulation and scale of the accessories for the 4 Ghostbusters, however Mattel gets positive marks as well for more details on the figures.

The Box as I stated earlier I find to be bland when compared to the Mattel one from back in the day. the colors don't seem to pop and the concept of making the box similar to the flight suits worn by the Ghostbusters kinda falls flat in my opinion. The Mondo art on the side is a nice touch as it the interior card (with the design specs) but again nothing really makes the package pop or stand out to me.

the Uniforms on the figures look amazing and the tiny detail of how the name badges on the flight suits sit is a nice touch. the name patches actually look like patches on the Hasbro versions as the Mattel ones look basically like a painted on sticker. One negative I do have is the solid yellow color hose on the Ghostbusters. I would have preferred a yellow transparent plastic tube similar to Mattel.

A somewhat major improvement and step down lies in the proton packs. The new Hasbro version is more in scale to the figure (unlike the Mattel one) and includes the alice frame which was missing from the Mattel one. However Hasbro skimped on the details of the pack in favor of the scale. the pack lacks the subtle details that Mattel was able to capture.

Each figure in the 1st series contains parts that can build the Terror Dog.

(Hasbro on the left and Mattel on the right)

Background for the photos is the Mattel Ghost Trap and the cardboard insert from Super 7 Robocop ED-209 figure

Winston Zeddemore : " If there's a steady paycheck in it, I believe anything you want"

I think the face sculpt is a nice representation of Ernie Hudson and in my opinion is far superior to the Mattel sculpt of the character. The figure features multiple points of articulation which gives it the ability to pose in a variety of action stances. His accessory is the proton particle stream (the only Ghostbuster to be packed with the particle stream which is a major mistake on Hasbro's part.)

(Comparison photo of Hasbro (Left) vs. Mattel (Right)

Ray Stantz: " I couldn't help it... It just popped in there."

Dan Aykroyd is one of those actors whose likeness is hard to get right. it's always something about him that gives sculptors grief in trying to make a truly faithful representation of the Aykroyd. However Hasbro does a decent job of catching the actor in his Ray Stantz persona, but I prefer Mattel's head sculpt but Hasbro's facial sculpt. His accessory are the Ecto-Goggles that he wears in the movie. Same articulation as Winston and the rest of the crew, torso is bigger on Ray's figure to give him a gut.. "Suck in the Guts guys.. We're the Ghostbusters"

(comparison photo of Hasbro (left) vs. Mattel (right)

Peter Venkman: "We came, we saw, we kicked it's A**!"

Bill Murray is one of those actors (similar to Aykroyd) that has always had issues with facial/headsculpts. I remember Mattel had issues getting Bill's likeness on the figure to be approved by Murray and I think Hasbro may have run into the same problems, but were able to deliver a figure that looks like Peter in the movie. Peter's accessory is a ghost trap (that looks rather small in my opinion and sadly is cheaply made (hollow on the bottom and no real play value)

- comparison photo Hasbro (left) and Mattel (right)

Egon Spengler: "I collect spores mold and fungus."

My favorite Ghostbuster from the movie was always Egon as he was sorta the grown up version of myself back in 84 as I was the dorky kid that no one liked and would rather have my head in a good book that worry about sports etc,. Hasbro really nailed the likeness of the late great Harold Ramis in the figure and it blows away the Mattel one. I think Egon may be the crowning jewel of the Plasma series line. His accessory is the trusty PKE Meter.

comparison photo Hasbro (left) and Mattel (right)

Gozer: "Are you a God?"

sadly we never received a Gozer with the Mattel line. Prior to the Mattel series Gozer was available from Neca (sadly mine is currently packed away at the moment so I wasn't able to compare the two figures) but Hasbro does a great job with the figure giving Gozer articulation where the Neca version really had minor articulation. I will say the Neca version is better with the details on the costume as the addition of a second head is a huge bonus for the figure but Hasbro delivers on the articulation.

Dana Barrett / Zuul : "I am Zuul.. I am the Gate Keeper"

Dana/Zuul is always a difficult figure to make as the skirt on the figure becomes a hindrance in the fact that it blocks the articulation of the figure making it somewhat static in nature. I think the Mattel one is far superior in the scenario as the swappable legs and altar helped to make the figure better and give it a new pose that could be used. I also prefer the Mattel face sculpt on their Dana Barrett/ Zuul as it really captures the likeness of Sigourney Weaver where the Hasbro one falls severely flat. Sadly my Zuul is packed away so I didn't get the opportunity to take a comparison photo to share. the Hasbro version also suffers from horrible cankles and as mentioned the hard / sorta rubbery skirt hinders the articulation of the legs.

Build a Figure - Terror Dog:

The Terror Dog is a nice Buildable figure but pales in comparison with the original Neca releases. The Terror dog features neck articulation, jaw articulation, and the front legs have ankle, knee and shoulder articulation while the rear legs feature shoulder and ankle articulation. I'm guessing this is supposed to be based on the Vinz Clortho Terror dog based on the horns as Zuul's horns were more turned down and Vinz's were straighter.

(Neca)
(Neca)

all in all Hasbro did an amazing job with the 1st wave of figures and I'd definitely excited and curious to see where the line progresses from here. We will get new version of our heroes from Ghostbusters II or Afterlife maybe even ATC 2016?, We will get ghosts for them to bust? Time will tell

Reaction score
so I finally had the chance to open the Plasma Series Ghostbusters from Hasbro and compare them to the original Matty Releases and both companies have pros and cons. I think Hasbro has done an amazing job on the face sculpts, articulation and scale of the accessories for the 4 Ghostbusters, however Mattel gets positive marks as well for more details on the figures.

The Box as I stated earlier I find to be bland when compared to the Mattel one from back in the day. the colors don't seem to pop and the concept of making the box similar to the flight suits worn by the Ghostbusters kinda falls flat in my opinion. The Mondo art on the side is a nice touch as it the interior card (with the design specs) but again nothing really makes the package pop or stand out to me.

the Uniforms on the figures look amazing and the tiny detail of how the name badges on the flight suits sit is a nice touch. the name patches actually look like patches on the Hasbro versions as the Mattel ones look basically like a painted on sticker. One negative I do have is the solid yellow color hose on the Ghostbusters. I would have preferred a yellow transparent plastic tube similar to Mattel.

A somewhat major improvement and step down lies in the proton packs. The new Hasbro version is more in scale to the figure (unlike the Mattel one) and includes the alice frame which was missing from the Mattel one. However Hasbro skimped on the details of the pack in favor of the scale. the pack lacks the subtle details that Mattel was able to capture.

Each figure in the 1st series contains parts that can build the Terror Dog.

(Hasbro on the left and Mattel on the right)

Background for the photos is the Mattel Ghost Trap and the cardboard insert from Super 7 Robocop ED-209 figure

Winston Zeddemore : " If there's a steady paycheck in it, I believe anything you want"

I think the face sculpt is a nice representation of Ernie Hudson and in my opinion is far superior to the Mattel sculpt of the character. The figure features multiple points of articulation which gives it the ability to pose in a variety of action stances. His accessory is the proton particle stream (the only Ghostbuster to be packed with the particle stream which is a major mistake on Hasbro's part.)

(Comparison photo of Hasbro (Left) vs. Mattel (Right)

Ray Stantz: " I couldn't help it... It just popped in there."

Dan Aykroyd is one of those actors whose likeness is hard to get right. it's always something about him that gives sculptors grief in trying to make a truly faithful representation of the Aykroyd. However Hasbro does a decent job of catching the actor in his Ray Stantz persona, but I prefer Mattel's head sculpt but Hasbro's facial sculpt. His accessory are the Ecto-Goggles that he wears in the movie. Same articulation as Winston and the rest of the crew, torso is bigger on Ray's figure to give him a gut.. "Suck in the Guts guys.. We're the Ghostbusters"

(comparison photo of Hasbro (left) vs. Mattel (right)

Peter Venkman: "We came, we saw, we kicked it's A**!"

Bill Murray is one of those actors (similar to Aykroyd) that has always had issues with facial/headsculpts. I remember Mattel had issues getting Bill's likeness on the figure to be approved by Murray and I think Hasbro may have run into the same problems, but were able to deliver a figure that looks like Peter in the movie. Peter's accessory is a ghost trap (that looks rather small in my opinion and sadly is cheaply made (hollow on the bottom and no real play value)

- comparison photo Hasbro (left) and Mattel (right)

Egon Spengler: "I collect spores mold and fungus."

My favorite Ghostbuster from the movie was always Egon as he was sorta the grown up version of myself back in 84 as I was the dorky kid that no one liked and would rather have my head in a good book that worry about sports etc,. Hasbro really nailed the likeness of the late great Harold Ramis in the figure and it blows away the Mattel one. I think Egon may be the crowning jewel of the Plasma series line. His accessory is the trusty PKE Meter.

comparison photo Hasbro (left) and Mattel (right)

Gozer: "Are you a God?"

sadly we never received a Gozer with the Mattel line. Prior to the Mattel series Gozer was available from Neca (sadly mine is currently packed away at the moment so I wasn't able to compare the two figures) but Hasbro does a great job with the figure giving Gozer articulation where the Neca version really had minor articulation. I will say the Neca version is better with the details on the costume as the addition of a second head is a huge bonus for the figure but Hasbro delivers on the articulation.

Dana Barrett / Zuul : "I am Zuul.. I am the Gate Keeper"

Dana/Zuul is always a difficult figure to make as the skirt on the figure becomes a hindrance in the fact that it blocks the articulation of the figure making it somewhat static in nature. I think the Mattel one is far superior in the scenario as the swappable legs and altar helped to make the figure better and give it a new pose that could be used. I also prefer the Mattel face sculpt on their Dana Barrett/ Zuul as it really captures the likeness of Sigourney Weaver where the Hasbro one falls severely flat. Sadly my Zuul is packed away so I didn't get the opportunity to take a comparison photo to share. the Hasbro version also suffers from horrible cankles and as mentioned the hard / sorta rubbery skirt hinders the articulation of the legs.

Build a Figure - Terror Dog:

The Terror Dog is a nice Buildable figure but pales in comparison with the original Neca releases. The Terror dog features neck articulation, jaw articulation, and the front legs have ankle, knee and shoulder articulation while the rear legs feature shoulder and ankle articulation. I'm guessing this is supposed to be based on the Vinz Clortho Terror dog based on the horns as Zuul's horns were more turned down and Vinz's were straighter.

(Neca)
(Neca)

all in all Hasbro did an amazing job with the 1st wave of figures and I'd definitely excited and curious to see where the line progresses from here. We will get new version of our heroes from Ghostbusters II or Afterlife maybe even ATC 2016?, We will get ghosts for them to bust? Time will tell
Funny, I think Dana is the best Sigourney likeness I've ever seen and the Terror Dog by Hasbro is more accurate in looks to me as well. The red eyes really sell it. I think Mattel went overboard with the paint apps. My biggest gripe with any of the figures outside of the proton pack belt clasp is the ladies' feet size. Both Gozer and Dana feature abnormally small feel like they've been wrapping them since they were children. It's a so weird that they went that route. Take a look at their feet in proportions to their bodies and you can see they are absolutely too small and make it harder for them stand straight up as a result. Like, how much money did THAT save you, Hasbro? What cheap-out.

I also think it's majorly stupid of Hasbro NOT to use soft goods on Dana. They could easily do a Snoke-like rob that has the red sparkles with a gold sash. My guess is they didn't want to make a nude figure underneath, though they could have kept the details semi-androgynous. Her articulation is completely wasted on the dumb plastic/rubber clothing.

Reaction score
Funny, I think Dana is the best Sigourney likeness I've ever seen and the Terror Dog by Hasbro is more accurate in looks to me as well. The red eyes really sell it. I think Mattel went overboard with the paint apps. My biggest gripe with any of the figures outside of the proton pack belt clasp is the ladies' feet size. Both Gozer and Dana feature abnormally small feel like they've been wrapping them since they were children. It's a so weird that they went that route. Take a look at their feet in proportions to their bodies and you can see they are absolutely too small and make it harder for them stand straight up as a result. Like, how much money did THAT save you, Hasbro? What cheap-out.

I also think it's majorly stupid of Hasbro NOT to use soft goods on Dana. They could easily do a Snoke-like rob that has the red sparkles with a gold sash. My guess is they didn't want to make a nude figure underneath, though they could have kept the details semi-androgynous. Her articulation is completely wasted on the dumb plastic/rubber clothing.
completely understand. I just feel like the Mattel version of Dana works better than Hasbro. The facial sculpt was amazing on the Mattel version and really showed how far the sculpts had come over the course of the line.

(Hasbro)
(Mattel)
(Mattel)

to me the facial sculpt looks amazing and I don't mind the lack of articulation in the Mattel version because really all the character does is stand around, walk a little and lay on a bed. lol.

as far as the Terror Dog battle... I agree with you on the eyes as the red really does sell the figure, Neca's had a light up feature that when you pushed the tail of the Terror Dog the eyes lite up red which was a neat feature but also an annoying feature as the only way to display the Terror Dogs with the red eyes was to either rig the tail feature to be permanently down or display them as is with no red eyes.

I'd be curious to see if Hasbro gives us a second wave who would be included from the 1st film. I'm guessing Louis Tully, Janine Melnitz,, and Walter Peck are the only 3 I can think of at this time which would either be a small wave full of repacks or the 1st wave or part of a Ghostbusters II wave or Ghostbusters Afterlife wave. I'd love to see them also do the 2016 movie (even though a lot of people hated the film)

Reaction score

Great write-up! Just wanted to say that, pouring over your photos, it looks like the back-of-the-box one confirms your suspicions. They do call the terror dog BAF Vinz Clortho.

I'd be curious to see if Hasbro gives us a second wave who would be included from the 1st film. I'm guessing Louis Tully, Janine Melnitz,, and Walter Peck are the only 3 I can think of at this time which would either be a small wave full of repacks or the 1st wave or part of a Ghostbusters II wave or Ghostbusters Afterlife wave. I'd love to see them also do the 2016 movie (even though a lot of people hated the film)
Those three seem like the most logical human characters. Beyond that, you start to get into people who aren't action figure friendly, like the Mayor and the Dean. I wonder if they would start releasing ghosts -- Slimer, the Library ghost, etc. Or if they will start dipping into the second movie.

Reaction score
They're finally showing up in my area! Came across 5 complete sets today! Bought 2 sets. Canceled the online orders I made. Also picked up Plasma Venkman from Target.View attachment 354844
I just got back from my local Walmart and out of curiosity I had a stockman scan the labels on the pegs and it showed they got 4 cases of figures. 3 of the cases are GBs and 1 case is Slimer and Stay Puft. I had the overnight stockman hold some of the other figures for me. Maybe these figures are starting to get stocked more frequently?

Reaction score
I just got back from my local Walmart and out of curiosity I had a stockman scan the labels on the pegs and it showed they got 4 cases of figures. 3 of the cases are GBs and 1 case is Slimer and Stay Puft. I had the overnight stockman hold some of the other figures for me. Maybe these figures are starting to get stocked more frequently?
From what I've researched, the ones showing up in stores now are considered the second wave. They're the same figures but the cardbacks are missing "who ya gonna call" above the top logo. I don't know why Hasbro would do that, I've not seen a single one outside of the 2 ghosts until today, so my area may not have ever received "wave 1".

Reaction score
From what I've researched, the ones showing up in stores now are considered the second wave. They're the same figures but the cardbacks are missing "who ya gonna call" above the top logo. I don't know why Hasbro would do that, I've not seen a single one outside of the 2 ghosts until today, so my area may not have ever received "wave 1".
You're right. I have both, but the case I just bought doesn't have "Who ya gonna call" on it. Good research! I'm going to go back to Walmart tomorrow and check those cases too.

Reaction score
You're right. I have both, but the case I just bought doesn't have "Who ya gonna call" on it. Good research! I'm going to go back to Walmart tomorrow and check those cases too.
I didn't even notice until I looked around on FB for who was selling them. One of the sellers called out that difference I imagine so he could say his were more rare which may be right. It's still odd when its only been a month.

Reaction score
received my 2 preordered Slimers today from Walmart. 1 was slightly bent and the other was perfect.
This makes me nervous for the one I ordered as I want to tack it up on the wall.

After much debate, I decided to cancel all 4 of the Busters and the Stay Puft. Walmart gave me a delayed notification on them so I took it as a sign to save some $$$. I wasn't a huge fan of the cartoon as a kid and always only wanted the Slimer.

Reaction score
completely understand. I just feel like the Mattel version of Dana works better than Hasbro. The facial sculpt was amazing on the Mattel version and really showed how far the sculpts had come over the course of the line.

(Hasbro)
(Mattel)
(Mattel)

to me the facial sculpt looks amazing and I don't mind the lack of articulation in the Mattel version because really all the character does is stand around, walk a little and lay on a bed. lol.

as far as the Terror Dog battle... I agree with you on the eyes as the red really does sell the figure, Neca's had a light up feature that when you pushed the tail of the Terror Dog the eyes lite up red which was a neat feature but also an annoying feature as the only way to display the Terror Dogs with the red eyes was to either rig the tail feature to be permanently down or display them as is with no red eyes.

I'm so surprised your prefer the Mattel Dana sculpt. I think the Hasbro one is one of the best actress likenesses I've seen, they did an incredible job on Sigourney's likeness.

That is pretty cool that the Matty Terror Dog eyes lit up though - I understand your frustration with not being able to display it that way easily, but I feel like toys really miss these cool features anymore nowadays. I'd love to see a C-3PO that had light-up eyes. I mean, the figure itself is so basic, no accessories ever, so why not pop some cheap electronics into the eyes? Ditto with the Jawas. They could easily rig up something where you press down on the head and the eyes light up. No aesthetics would be messed with.

I like the new Hasbro Terror Dog better for it's articulation and also it's blacker, like in the movie. I'm curious if Louis and Janine will be from GB1 (as neither do much) or GBII where Louis actually gets in a suit with his ear muffs and Janine has a much more pronounced look with her red hair like the cartoon. If anything, I'm sure they'd do a proper Vince with the strainer gadget hat and maybe a lamp or bowl of popcorn (yes, have some)

Reaction score
This makes me nervous for the one I ordered as I want to tack it up on the wall.

After much debate, I decided to cancel all 4 of the Busters and the Stay Puft. Walmart gave me a delayed notification on them so I took it as a sign to save some $$$. I wasn't a huge fan of the cartoon as a kid and always only wanted the Slimer.
I cancelled the ones I ordered too. If you have the means, check the stores. They're showing up on pegs this week.

Reaction score
Finally got around to placing a preorder for the few Plasma series that I want. I don't think I'm going to deep dive on this line. Probably just the four guys. Seems odd buying them after getting the whole first series of the Diamond releases, but the plasmas just look too good to resist. Besides, I'm going to do a separate, character focussed display with the Diamonds, and put the Plasmas on the 'build a rooftop' which will look 10X more impressive (and in scale!) with the smaller figures.

Reaction score
Looking at Egon, I'm glad they didn't go the route of past figures and make his glasses a separate piece. That worked in theory, but in execution it made them look oversized and cartoonish. Having the frames be part of the head sculpt works better IMO.

And speaking of cartoons, I saw some of the RGB figures at Walmart recently. Boy did they bring back memories. Though I was surprised at how small they were. Maybe it's because I myself was small when I had them, and it was never a toy line I felt much need to return to in adulthood, but I definitely remember them being slightly larger. Oh well.

The only toy I'm really interested in would be the Terror Dog (who appears to be Vinz Clortho), but it seems he's a BAF, so no dice here. I suppose I could try the secondary market, but something tells me that he'll be insanely expensive there. I might impulse buy Venkman (especially the RGB one) for simple nostalgia, but probably not.

I'd be down for a movie accurate figure of Mayhem, but the extreme dislike of the 2016 film means no new figures of any characters or ghosts from that one anytime soon. Or ever. Which annoys me to no end. The film's quality (or lack thereof) aside, Mayhem was a fun design and stood out from the other ghosts, and it sorta angers me that because the film was received so poorly, all I'll really ever have of him is the inaccurate reddish brown figure which lacks his mane and is oddly proportioned (his tail, legs and wings all being way too small). But, then, that's the story of my life; most of what I like seems to be intensely hated by everyone else. At best, no one cares; and in any event I've seen tons of figures I liked that were released since I joined the forums here in '05 be greeted with resounding choruses of "Wasted slot!" with me often one of the lone voices going "Yay!" XD

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looking at Egon, I'm glad they didn't go the route of past figures and make his glasses a separate piece. That worked in theory, but in execution it made them look oversized and cartoonish. Having the frames be part of the head sculpt works better IMO.

And speaking of cartoons, I saw some of the RGB figures at Walmart recently. Boy did they bring back memories. Though I was surprised at how small they were. Maybe it's because I myself was small when I had them, and it was never a toy line I felt much need to return to in adulthood, but I definitely remember them being slightly larger. Oh well.

The only toy I'm really interested in would be the Terror Dog (who appears to be Vinz Clortho), but it seems he's a BAF, so no dice here. I suppose I could try the secondary market, but something tells me that he'll be insanely expensive there. I might impulse buy Venkman (especially the RGB one) for simple nostalgia, but probably not.

I'd be down for a movie accurate figure of Mayhem, but the extreme dislike of the 2016 film means no new figures of any characters or ghosts from that one anytime soon. Or ever. Which annoys me to no end. The film's quality (or lack thereof) aside, Mayhem was a fun design and stood out from the other ghosts, and it sorta angers me that because the film was received so poorly, all I'll really ever have of him is the inaccurate reddish brown figure which lacks his mane and is oddly proportioned (his tail, legs and wings all being way too small). But, then, that's the story of my life; most of what I like seems to be intensely hated by everyone else. At best, no one cares; and in any event I've seen tons of figures I liked that were released since I joined the forums here in '05 be greeted with resounding choruses of "Wasted slot!" with me often one of the lone voices going "Yay!" XD
That's funny you thought they were smaller, when I finally found all 4 of them, I was so surprised that the cards seemed HUGE to me! I thought the cards were a lot more tidy, but they take up a lot of real estate compared to other lines. I love the artwork though, so it makes sense to have more cardboard. I guess I'm just too used to TVC and how small the Star Wars cards are in general.

Reaction score
But, then, that's the story of my life; most of what I like seems to be intensely hated by everyone else. At best, no one cares; and in any event I've seen tons of figures I liked that were released since I joined the forums here in '05 be greeted with resounding choruses of "Wasted slot!" with me often one of the lone voices going "Yay!" XD
I feel you. And if no ghosts make it into the 6 inch line, they're gonna be milking repaints pretty hard. I expect the team from the 2016 movie being made more than I expect a bunch of ghosts to get made, honestly.

Reaction score
Looking at the cards, it seems they're designed primarily that size to allow for the accessories to all be showcased separately from the figure.
Yes and that too! I think that's actually a novel way of showing them off. It's like showing you how to play with the figures before ever opening the package.

Reaction score
Was just looking at pics of the Spengler neutrona wand replica out later this year (an absolute must buy for me). And wondering if it might be possible to remove the 'Afterlife' wrappings from the handle. From everything I've seen it looks like it's sculpted detail, so I'm now wondering how wierd it might look if I just spray it black to match the rest of the prop.... It's going to look lumpy for sure and won't stand up to close scrutiny but it might be the best option. I really wish they'd made it removeable for both looks though.....

Reaction score
Was just looking at pics of the Spengler neutrona wand replica out later this year (an absolute must buy for me). And wondering if it might be possible to remove the 'Afterlife' wrappings from the handle. From everything I've seen it looks like it's sculpted detail, so I'm now wondering how wierd it might look if I just spray it black to match the rest of the prop.... It's going to look lumpy for sure and won't stand up to close scrutiny but it might be the best option. I really wish they'd made it removeable for both looks though.....
Part of me thinks it's cool they differentiated it for this movie, but at the same time, how is (what looks like) a BB-gun rifle grip better than the rubberized finger grips they used previously? And how is wrapping some green cloth supposed to be "better" in some way? I feel like I can read right through the prop. Nothing appears necessary or novel - it reads like this "hey, how can we sell something that Mattel just made recently? - uhhhhh, let's make the clear emitter tip come out farther, throw some canvas wrapping around the handle THAT'LL MAKE IT LOOK OLD! And uh, throw a wooden rifle grip on there, Egon always liked the Wild West, right?!"

I think it's cool that it stands out for this particular movie, but if it had been sitting there since the 90s, would Egon have really messed with it? He's the guy that designed them anyhow, why would he practically go backwards on the functionality? It just seems like yet another obvious ploy to sell a prop rather than some cool, functional upgrade.

Reaction score
I've not seen anything about the 'wooden' grip. Maybe I've just not paid enough attention to the pre release images. To me it just looks like the standard grips with the fake 'wrapping' on top....

Edit: I've just googled all the promo images and there's definitely no 'wooden' handle. Just the original grips with fake 'cloth' around it. Have there been new pics with more changes?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've not seen anything about the 'wooden' grip. Maybe I've just not paid enough attention to the pre release images. To me it just looks like the standard grips with the fake 'wrapping' on top....

Edit: I've just googled all the promo images and there's definitely no 'wooden' handle. Just the original grips with fake 'cloth' around it. Have there been new pics with more changes?
Look at the fore grip, the one further down closer to the wand emitter. It's definitely a wooden grip. Compare it to any GB neutrino wand and you'll see what I mean. There would be large finger grooves in both the back grip and the fore grip - they were identical in the originals. It can be seen plainly below:

Compare to the Matty Collector Wand - a spot-on replica of the originals

Reaction score
Oh, I see what you mean. Good spot! It doesn't bother me. I'll just paint it black. The Matty was always out of my price range, even when it was new and especially now with what they go for on the secondary market. I imported a Matty PKE when it first released, and even in a well paying job it almost bankrupted me, so I never got any of their other props. I'm willing to put up with a few inaccuracies just to be able to finally have a wand. Perhaps I'm just easily pleased!

Reaction score
Oh, I see what you mean. Good spot! It doesn't bother me. I'll just paint it black. The Matty was always out of my price range, even when it was new and especially now with what they go for on the secondary market. I imported a Matty PKE when it first released, and even in a well paying job it almost bankrupted me, so I never got any of their other props. I'm willing to put up with a few inaccuracies just to be able to finally have a wand. Perhaps I'm just easily pleased!
Do you live in another country? I know back then the Matty Wand was around the same exact price, maybe a little more than this Spengler one, but if so - that's a bummer you couldn't get it distributed to your area at a fair price. The PKE was like $45 here in the US and I passed it up - still kicking myself. But I REALLY hope Hasbro comes through in the Ghostbusters realm and starts doing a lot more props, especially the Ghost Trap which I also passed up. Those things go for ludicrous prices on eBay now.