Handmade Trash Compactor Set diorama

Reaction score
Thanks to NiubNiub (dioramaworkshop.com) and Pyrto I got the inspiration of doing my own trash compactor diorama.
Two special features: I used real lights for the backdoor and in the ceiling. The lamps are lego bricks. The result is stunning when switched on!

For the hull, I used a ready made wooden box. The two parts fitted in loosly. Therefor I added small strips for pressure so they fitted supertight.
On the top and back I build a layer for the two lamps, ordinary ones that go on socket power. I hate battery supported lights, for you never use them for a long time.
To filter the rather white light of the lamp, I gave it a yellow filter. That worked the best in the end, for a red filter dulled everything.
Finally I gave the wood a mahonie brown wash for a classy effect.

All of the rest is wood or layers of cardboard (like the round door of the entrance).
I painted the lot with acrylics.
Of course I painted the figures as well to make them look more dirty. The high gloss varnish finished the ‘’wet look’’ of the parts. I was quite surprised at how much detail came forward when doing the two bases.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Reaction score
that is an excellent build and a great set up, well done!

Reaction score
Absolutely sick looking man!! I'm super impressed with how good that looks.
You should shoot it on a tripod, shutter delayed with the other lights off in the house....it would look totally real.
Send it to me, I'll shoot it in studio and won't even charge you for shooting it...I'll just forget your return address...
Totally awesome...inspiring!

Reaction score
Absolutely sick looking man!! I'm super impressed with how good that looks.
You should shoot it on a tripod, shutter delayed with the other lights off in the house....it would look totally real.
Send it to me, I'll shoot it in studio and won't even charge you for shooting it...I'll just forget your return address...
Totally awesome...inspiring![/QUOTE

Well, USBK, thanks for the proposal, but I think I will recline...:whistling:
Maybe I'll make that photo myself someday!
And thanks for the compliments! :weeabooface:

Reaction score
Awesome way to display a couple great underrated sets. Very nice work. I always love creative problem solving. The use of the Lego pieces as lights is fantastic.

Good job,
Stephen

Reaction score
Very nice! I like how the outside is painted trash compactor style too. Good idea including the light above too.

Reaction score
Wow! awesome diorama. I love the look of the lights above the door. Fantastic job!

Reaction score
{The hyperlinks to the pics of this thread were dead, so I reposted with active images}

Thanks to NiubNiub (dioramaworkshop.com) and Pyrto I got the inspiration of doing my own trash compactor diorama.
Two special features: I used real lights for the backdoor and in the ceiling. The lamps are lego bricks. The result is stunning when switched on!

For the hull, I used a ready made wooden box. The two parts fitted in loosly. Therefor I added small strips for pressure so they fitted supertight.
On the top and back I build a layer for the two lamps, ordinary ones that go on socket power. I hate battery supported lights, for you never use them for a long time.
To filter the rather white light of the lamp, I gave it a yellow filter. That worked the best in the end, for a red filter dulled everything.
Finally I gave the wood a mahonie brown wash for a classy effect.

All of the rest is wood or layers of cardboard (like the round door of the entrance).
I painted the lot with acrylics.
Of course I painted the figures as well to make them look more dirty. The high gloss varnish finished the ‘’wet look’’ of the parts. I was quite surprised at how much detail came forward when doing the two bases.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Reaction score
Lighting is spot on. Also dig wood construction for dios as they will survive moves, revisions, accidents, pets walking around and knocking them off shelves, etc. Looks like Luke is really getting his butt kicked in there by the dianoga too! I looked at this and realized how bad my own version of this scene is. Good stuff, man!

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. Copy what you like about my dio, that is how I use inspiration from others too.

Last edited: