Han Solo - May 25, 2018

Reaction score
That, IMO, looks nothing like Boba Fett. To me, it resemble Revan's mask more. But he makes no sense in Solo.

Perhaps it's merely a random Mando for filler. Or possibly one we'll see in the new Mandolorian series, thus put there on purpose.

I suppose if someone wanted to purposely connect Boba to Solo, any explanation could be told. But he is missing the a few key elements to his outfit, not to mention he's wearing some odd overcoat? Some may think "disguise", but why would he need one? He's never used one before, one screen.

But who knows.

Reaction score
the NUSW movies are guilty of using rejected designs from previous productions. a lot of old/undeveloped McQuarrie designs. or just anything that GL rejected ove the years..
this was probably based on an old design for Boba Fett. but as we know (within the canon) Boba's helmet was the exact same as Jango's. and this ain't it. :p
so , No. Boba Fett was not in the Solo movie. :p LOL

Reaction score
It may be a prototype bucket, not the finished ESB attire. But the kill hash marks & Spartan T helmet may mean something, or nothing at all. I was just passing the article on.
That, IMO, looks nothing like Boba Fett. To me, it resemble Revan's mask more. But he makes no sense in Solo.

Perhaps it's merely a random Mando for filler. Or possibly one we'll see in the new Mandolorian series, thus put there on purpose.

I suppose if someone wanted to purposely connect Boba to Solo, any explanation could be told. But he is missing the a few key elements to his outfit, not to mention he's wearing some odd overcoat? Some may think "disguise", but why would he need one? He's never used one before, one screen.

But who knows.

Reaction score
Just an interesting theory some over at screen rant had. At the early time of Solo’s production... a Boba Fett spin-off supposedly was being considered. Wouldn’t it make sense that he would slyly show up somewhere in Solo? Add to that: Maul is in the movie, alive due to animated canon. During The Clone Wars cartoon...Aurra Sing was a mentor to Boba, and on one particular mission...his father’s helmet was detonated. Now they establish that Beckett killed Aurra Sing in the Solo script. And this fellow does briefly appear to be interested in the affairs of Lando, Qira & Han. Without the helmet, he would clearly appear to be a Clone Wars soldier(with Jango being the template on Kamino), and would surely want to hide that identity.

Reaction score
Just an interesting theory some over at screen rant had. At the early time of Solo’s production... a Boba Fett spin-off supposedly was being considered. Wouldn’t it make sense that he would slyly show up somewhere in Solo? Add to that: Maul is in the movie, alive due to animated canon. During The Clone Wars cartoon...Aurra Sing was a mentor to Boba, and on one particular mission...his father’s helmet was detonated. Now they establish that Beckett killed Aurra Sing in the Solo script. And this fellow does briefly appear to be interested in the affairs of Lando, Qira & Han. Without the helmet, he would clearly appear to be a Clone Wars soldier(with Jango being the template on Kamino), and would surely want to hide that identity.
Having read the article it's quite an interesting and believable theory. It's just a shame, if it was true, it'll most likely never pan out.

Reaction score
That is an interesting theory!
And in regards to his appearance.. I guess it depends on how long he was in/near that Sarlacc stomach acid :)

GNT

Reaction score
It looks like a helmet similar to Fett but not sure if that's him. Any word on this?

Reaction score
It reminds me of one of those cheap old Don Post helmets where only the upper part of the visor is actually transparent and the vertical part is just molded onto the helmet and painted black.

Reaction score
the rumor is a stretch in my opinion. It has some similarities but looks boxier, doesn't have an antenna, and the visor doesn't extend down.

Reaction score
It reminds me of one of those cheap old Don Post helmets where only the upper part of the visor is actually transparent and the vertical part is just molded onto the helmet and painted black.
it looks a LOT like the Don Post Fett helmet.

I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS a Don Post Fett helmet. LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
If Boba Fett was in Solo you 100% would've known considering all the other blatant fan service that was thrown in the movie.

Reaction score
If Boba Fett was in Solo you 100% would've known considering all the other blatant fan service that was thrown in the movie.
Agreed. There's no way an idiotic idea like having Boba Fett in the 'Solo' movie, wouldn't have been front and centre.

Frankly, thank god he wasn't. I preferred it when Boba Fett was just some guy that was hired by the Empire to hunt a fella he never met before. Having every character know every other character in Star Wars is one of the worst things about it, to be honest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just saw an interview with Peter S., the original Maul voice actor who stated he did, indeed, record lines for the Maul cameo...but they decided to go with Sam Witwer instead.

Reaction score
they should have just used palpatine.

this scene resembles the 'thanos' teasers leading up to avengers1, where they tease the Big Baddie of the 20-movie saga.
it kind of implies that Maul is the Big Baddie of the SW universe (as it pertains to Han's Adventures)*,
but to SW fans, we ALREADY know him as just a failed second rate "henchman".
that would be like Ronan getting the infinity glove instead of Thanos -- or some guy we ALREADY know to be thanos' *****.

simply put: this cameo should have been used to tease a Level Boss ; not the failed-lackey-from-another-movie.
* Jabba would have been the most logical choice; the audience already =KNOWS him as a "Crime boss".
palpatine would have worked, equally well. but Maul? (Maul is to Palpatine , as Bib Fortuna is to Jabba the hutt).
fans of the EU may know Maul to be a 'crime boss' .. but movie-goers will see him as Palpatine's "Bib Fortuna". :\

Last edited:
Reaction score
(Maul is to Palpatine , as Bib Fortuna is to Jabba the hutt). :\
Mmmmmmm...I don't know if that stacks up, but I think I see what you're getting at.

But, I think Bib is the lad you hire when you want someone to answer the door and Maul is the guy you get when you want a door kicked in.

:grin:

Reaction score
That's deeply philosophical. Because nobody is really alive either?

It cheapens it for me. We all know how Avengers is going to go and will watch it nevertheless, but reaaly? It sucks when storytellers use a cheap get-out. I blame J3sus.

Reaction score
I still stand by that Maul was a bad idea, I can always easily edit out the cartoon stuff if I want to...but actual film stuff is far more jarring to edit out. I always looked at Clone Wars and Rebels as sort of ...unnecessary canon. Yeah I suppose it is canon, but it's like sparknote annotated stuff. Not required! So for them to basically legitimize Maul's survival by having him in an actual film, well I was irritated. Especially because I really think there are much better choices to go with as the big boss man.

I would have went with Prince Xizor. 1. Why Crimson Dawn? There's already an older established crime syndicate out there that is still in continuity, Black Sun. 2. Paul Bettany's character really stuck me as a Xizor-like character, being particularly cultured but also highly criminal and even violent. 3. Much like Thrawn, it was a natural way of being an older beloved EU character back into canon in a natural (albeit adapted) way. 4. Xizor (a crime lord) fits the space western motif far better than a Sith Lord.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The general public wouldn’t have had a clue who Xizor was. I wasn’t a big fan of having Maul come back in The Clone Wars, but he did end up having a pretty good story by the time we got to Rebels. So, I was fine with his appearance in Soli. I hope that more movies or TV shows continue this story in some way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As MysterioMaximus suggested, Xizor would've been a great choice instead of Dryden Vos. After casting Bettany, all they had to do was rename Crimson Dawn to Black Sun, replace the sigil and adapt Xizor's usual look for film. The basic design was already there and could've been achieved with make-up or minimal CGI.

I know Bettany joined the cast late, after the director's switch, and there was little time to design the new character. But adapting SotE's designs couldn't have been more difficult, expensive or time-consuming than coming up with Dryden's current look.

Sure, the character's death would mean SotE could not happen, but currently Thrawn's fate in Rebels prevents the Zhan novels from re-entering canon too.
Then indeed show McDiarmid in a cameo at the end and you have a nice nod for old EU fans while the general audience can also follow along.

Reaction score
I see where you guys are coming from but Maul is more well known, especially to kids, than Xizor. I think it was a better use of a cameo since Maul has already been dealing with crime syndicate/bounty hunter things in Clone Wars and Rebels. Xizor would have merely been fan service in a movie that already has plenty of fan service.

Reaction score
A but currently Thrawn's fate in Rebels prevents the Zhan novels from re-entering canon too.
How has Thrawn's fate in Rebels prevented the Zahn novels from re-entering canon? The Zahn novels take place several years after ROTJ. Plenty of time for him to return from wherever he ended up. I haven't read any of the new canon yet, but I am guessing whatever has been written post ROTJ is more likely to prevent the Zahn novels from re-entering canon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those space whales dragged a broken star destroyer into hyperspace. The windows were shattered. There's no way Thrawn survived that. Ezra's force powers might have saved him, but Thrawn?

Reaction score
Those space whales dragged a broken star destroyer into hyperspace. The windows were shattered. There's no way Thrawn survived that. Ezra's force powers might have saved him, but Thrawn?
I think you're right. There's really no way he could have survived that.

Reaction score
There was so much potential for Solo, they simply wasted the chance. And now there's no way to expand on it. It is also sad how they treated Thrawn, he could have been one the the better Villains in a future movie.

I blame J3sus.
Why, did he beat you at checkers?

Because even that event was told differently than what truly happened, yet it makes for good storytelling and propaganda for the masses.

Reaction score
I had forgotten the specifics of the ending, but I’ve seen many comments in other places from people wanting to see Thrawn show up in later stories.