Han Solo (Hoth) - Archive Line

Reaction score
They used the earlier mold for the head, it seems. While the paint is improved, the face isn't shaped as well as the later Han head molds. Even so, I'll be ordering this.

Reaction score
Glad to see this one finally released in the Archive line! Should have been in the 40th ESB line, but oh well. I would have bought this just for the photo real, but I am glad they gave us the brown coat as well...even though I am partial to the blue, I know it is "technically" accurate in brown and now I will have both,

Reaction score
I still can't get on board with the brown coat. I mean, I know that the actual costume Harrison Ford wore was brown in real life. But on film, it appeared blue.
It does look odd. For so many years we've been conditioned by release after release of Hoth Han with a blue coat. I saw The Empire Strikes Back at the cinema last week and whenever Han appeared on Hoth I could only see the coat as brown. I have finally unlearned what I had learned. I'm excited to see a brown coat release, even if it does look odd.

Reaction score
this one i AM getting... love the coat and detail,,, and the packaging is pretty nice too!

Reaction score
Growing up watching TESB in the 90s, I was completely baffled by the blue/brown controversy once I heard it was a thing. The coat was always obviously brown to me, just perhaps lit by blue light/filters to make Hoth feel cold to viewers.

That being said, I picked up the exclusive version of this a while back. I wish they would retool the torso - he's a bit lanky for Han.

Reaction score
This is the original “the dress” debate!

Ive only ever seen Han’s coat as brown but I think it depends on the home media format you watch it on. I think in earlier VHS copies it looked blue.

Reaction score
The weird thing is Han’s Bespin coat was deliberately made a stone gray color so it would look blue on film. But post-processing made the brown coat inadvertently look blue - which, toys aside, intuitively make sense to the viewer because of the consistency of color between the two outfits, i.e., “Han’s ESB color is dark blue.”

Reaction score
Looks great. But asides the face print, are there any changes to the mold?

Reaction score
Looks great. But asides the face print, are there any changes to the mold?
Looking at Cody and Luke and all the other Archive figures that have been released so far, I think the only alteration is the face print (and the correctly(?) coloured coat in this case).

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I have the Tauntaun version of Han in blue, so if anyone gets this new one in a case and wants to trade, keep me in mind ;)

Reaction score
I still can't get on board with the brown coat. I mean, I know that the actual costume Harrison Ford wore was brown in real life. But on film, it appeared blue.
And yet no one complains that Leia's snowsuit should be baby blue and Chewie's fur more of a slate grey...
EchoBase.jpg

Thats said, this figure's coat is not nearly a dark enough shade of brown! :LOL:

Reaction score
One of JW Rinzler's BTS featurettes on the Star Wars digital releases shows him in the costume archive where the brown coat is displayed. That, and some reference books I have show that same brown coat, so the issue appears to, at least officially, be settled.

For so many years, the only way I saw these films was via VHS. I swear on everything that is good and holy that his coat appeared blue. But I have since learned more about filming in snow, color corrections and the like. I argued on here for years his coat was blue. Happy to say, I was wrong.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
It’s funny but I never had an opinion on coat color throughout the 80s and early 90s, and I immediately accepted the POTF2 version being brown as the correct color (and just looked “right” somehow). From that point on, it’s never been an issue for me!

Reaction score
With these Hoth archive figures coming out I kind of wish Habro did a 6" scaled vintage boxed Taun Taun instead of a Wampa. I would have picked up 2 for the Han and Luke figures.

Reaction score
And yet no one complains that Leia's snowsuit should be baby blue and Chewie's fur more of a slate grey...
View attachment 363757
I can think of 2 reasons for that.

First, Liea's outfit and Chewbacca's fur have a slight blueish tint to them, but not to the point wear the original color is drowned out. Leia's outfit still looks like a white outfit in blue lighting. The grayish parts of Chewbacca's fur may look slightly blueish but the lighter brown parts of his fur still clearly look brown. And to use an example you didn't mention, even C3P-O still looks gold. The blue tint didn't make him green. But the brown of Han's coat is completely drowned out. There is no hint that his outfit is brown except for a few brief moments that he walks past some people welding and the flicker of light reveals a hint of brown for a split second. The blue filter they put on the Hoth scenes drowned out the original color of his outfit more than anyone else's.

Second, Han's coat is only seen in the Hoth scenes with the blue filter. The only time it is ever seen, it is seen with a blue filter that drowns out the brown more than the blue filter drowned out the colors of the other examples you mentioned. Leia and Chewbacca are also seen in other scenes with better lighting so there's no mistaking the color of their outfits/costumes.

Reaction score
I can think of 2 reasons for that.

First, Liea's outfit and Chewbacca's fur have a slight blueish tint to them, but not to the point wear the original color is drowned out. Leia's outfit still looks like a white outfit in blue lighting. The grayish parts of Chewbacca's fur may look slightly blueish but the lighter brown parts of his fur still clearly look brown. And to use an example you didn't mention, even C3P-O still looks gold. The blue tint didn't make him green. But the brown of Han's coat is completely drowned out. There is no hint that his outfit is brown except for a few brief moments that he walks past some people welding and the flicker of light reveals a hint of brown for a split second. The blue filter they put on the Hoth scenes drowned out the original color of his outfit more than anyone else's.

Second, Han's coat is only seen in the Hoth scenes with the blue filter. The only time it is ever seen, it is seen with a blue filter that drowns out the brown more than the blue filter drowned out the colors of the other examples you mentioned. Leia and Chewbacca are also seen in other scenes with better lighting so there's no mistaking the color of their outfits/costumes.
I always knew it was brown but then I only saw the 90s figs as a kid and the tint may have been fixed for the SE.

Reaction score
I guess I'm the rare weirdo that prefers blue. I understand on an academic level that the prop was brown, but as it looks blue on screen I've always preferred that look. Same with the xenomorphs from ALIENS... the actual props had a brown tinge but appeared blue on screen.

Both are valid, though. I'll probably get the new one, pop the old ones jacket and arms on then use the extra goggles for Luke.

Reaction score
I agree it should be blue, as it appeared on screen, even if the prop was actually brown. I mean, we know that Yoda was just a puppet in reality, but nobody’s clamoring for a Yoda figure with Frank Oz’s hand up his ass.

And, given that the Bespin Han jacket was deliberately made in stone grey so that it would appear blue on screen, we have to assume that the filmmakers actually knew what they were doing, and intended the Hoth parka to appear blue too.

Reaction score
I agree it should be blue, as it appeared on screen, even if the prop was actually brown. I mean, we know that Yoda was just a puppet in reality, but nobody’s clamoring for a Yoda figure with Frank Oz’s hand up his ass.

And, given that the Bespin Han jacket was deliberately made in stone grey so that it would appear blue on screen, we have to assume that the filmmakers actually knew what they were doing, and intended the Hoth parka to appear blue too.
It was only blue on vhs though. So that’s not how it appears for 80% of versions.