Han Solo - Bespin - SL24

Reaction score
I'm really hoping we can all get to the point where the merits of the Legends and SA line can be discussed without insulting the other line.

The Legends Han is a fantastic sculpt and looks natural with a neutral stance. Only one natural pose is possible due to limited articulation. Details are very sharp. Great likeness.

The VC Han has sharp details. Articulation allows dynamic movie accurate poses. Head sculpt is lacking, and feet are small.

This one has me stumped. I have my current VC Han posed in a dynamic "shooting at Vader" stance, and it looks great. But this Legends Han is fantastic in the neutral pose and has a much better likeness. I'm not sure which to display.....decisions decisions :).
I agree with this as well. What it all comes down to is that it's good, REALLY good to have options. I will continue to collect both lines, but, at the moment, almost 100% of my interest is in this line. Sadly, there's just so little going on with the SA line at the moment.

Reaction score
Sorry, but if it had more articulation and a "real" belt/holster, it would look like crap (see VC version). Proper scale, proportions and sculpt purity go out the window when you add too much at this size. This is what makes this line so awesome. These are just pure Star Wars figures.

Best thing Hasbro/Kenner has given us in decades.
Not necessarily true. There are some Clone Wars and Vintage Collection figures that have a perfect balance of SA and proper scale, proportions and sculpt. If the effort is put in by the sculptor you can have a wonderful balance of both. However, sadly the reality is that usually Hasbro either goes in either one direction or the other and doesn't usually pay attention to both.

The quality of these SL figures is lacking, especially in the paint apps department. They are generally very sloppy which detracts from otherwise nice sculpts.

Reaction score
Good point, TVC hoth Leia is an example of what can be done in a SA. That Han looks much better but I'd look into replacing the feet of you can.

Reaction score
I'm really hoping we can all get to the point where the merits of the Legends and SA line can be discussed without insulting the other line.

The Legends Han is a fantastic sculpt and looks natural with a neutral stance. Only one natural pose is possible due to limited articulation. Details are very sharp. Great likeness.

The VC Han has sharp details. Articulation allows dynamic movie accurate poses. Head sculpt is lacking, and feet are small.

This one has me stumped. I have my current VC Han posed in a dynamic "shooting at Vader" stance, and it looks great. But this Legends Han is fantastic in the neutral pose and has a much better likeness. I'm not sure which to display.....decisions decisions :).
^

Agreed. Posting something like this isn't intended to be an insult, it's just reality.

I'm just glad we got another chance to get this figure (and many others) right.

All I can say about the above pic is…..wow!
Exactly, I not interested at all in what line a figure is from.

I just compare a new figure to the last best version, and update if required. To me its a matter of fact that the Saga Legends version makes TVC one awkward and amateur. Yes it cant be posed much, but I am not making any points about posability, I am only interested in the aesthetic of the figure standing neutrally

Reaction score
This looks be in the top five Han figures Kenner/ Hasbro has ever made... Might be the top spot for me.

Sallah

Reaction score
Got mine in. The left hand is glued weird at the wrist. It's rotated so any weapon he has would be held sideways. The right hand is pretty good though. It's just that his left hand is at a weird angle. Looks very un-natural.

Reaction score
Got mine in. The left hand is glued weird at the wrist. It's rotated so any weapon he has would be held sideways. The right hand is pretty good though. It's just that his left hand is at a weird angle. Looks very un-natural.
Glued? I've seen this mentioned before aren't all of these parts a simple cast? What's with all this glue talk?

Reaction score
I too assumed that the entire arm and hand were one solid piece...looking more closely it appears some of the characters (like Han Bespin and Bespin Luke ) have arms as seperate parts from the hands, while Jedi Luke has one solid arm/hand. What's odd is...this could easily be an added point of wrist articulation if they are going to use seperate parts, but isn't it cheaper to do it as a solid piece?(which is the argument of the 5POA line, by hasbro). Also...what's even crazier...is the fact that these ledgends figures..are now $8 at Toys R Us?!

Reaction score
I too assumed that the entire arm and hand were one solid piece...looking more closely it appears some of the characters (like Han Bespin and Bespin Luke ) have arms as seperate parts from the hands, while Jedi Luke has one solid arm/hand. What's odd is...this could easily be an added point of wrist articulation if they are going to use seperate parts, but isn't it cheaper to do it as a solid piece?(which is the argument of the 5POA line, by hasbro). Also...what's even crazier...is the fact that these ledgends figures..are now $8 at Toys R Us?!
Might be cheaper to the hands cast in skin-tone and weld them in then to paint them? Might be a safety thing?

Reaction score
Must be cheaper somehow. Maybe it quickens the process of taking the figure from concept to production. Now I need to look at those Luke arms. I'd be interested in hearing more about how these things are produced. Someone was also claiming these are 3D printed.

Reaction score
These figures are not 3D printed. Someone in the Bespin Han thread claimed Bespin Han was 3d printed. I have a 3d printer, have experience with 3D printed objects and can spot one when I see it. These figures are standard injection molded. I have no idea why someone was claiming they are 3D printed.

Reaction score
These figures are not 3D printed. Someone in the Bespin Han thread claimed Bespin Han was 3d printed. I have a 3d printer, have experience with 3D printed objects and can spot one when I see it. These figures are standard injection molded. I have no idea why someone was claiming they are 3D printed.
Thought so, thanks for confirming.

Reaction score
I think one of the points that was being made, I think it was Internets, is these figures seem to be designed on computers now, which is why we're getting virtually identical sculpts between scales (see 6" Bespin Luke vs 5POA Luke). As far as some of the prototypes shown at NYCC some of them had the appearance of being 3D printed. It's possible that this stage of the design process uses 3D printing, but obviously not what is at stores.

Reaction score
I think one of the points that was being made, I think it was Internets, is these figures seem to be designed on computers now, which is why we're getting virtually identical sculpts between scales (see 6" Bespin Luke vs 5POA Luke). As far as some of the prototypes shown at NYCC some of them had the appearance of being 3D printed. It's possible that this stage of the design process uses 3D printing, but obviously not what is at stores.
That would make sense given how the legs and overall build of the two Hans are so similar yet clearly different. Maybe they are 3d printing a rough "skeleton" then sculpting on top of it? The sculpt then gets molded? I'm not sure what that accomplishes except maybe keeping all the figures consistent in height and build.

Reaction score
Ha. So much for that. I guess if you just post an image link, it shows the image.

Reaction score
That's for posting the links, I appreciate you digging them up. I see what you're saying about the pattern but it's not a print. It's tough to explain but the pattern of layers on a 3D print don't appear that way. They don't start on one part and stop on another. That pattern would need to start at the sole of Hans boots and stop on crown of his hair. Also the layers don't change direction(as seen on the hood of the jawas). It would be thin slices of plastic stacked one by one on stop of each other all the way through the object. Here's a print of the new episode 7 speeder.

Reaction score
I think folks are confusing 3D printing with digital sculpting.

The figures are not 3D printed. That wouldn't really be cost effective in mass production... But they very well may be digital sculpts that are then used to create molds. This would account for the same sculpt veing usedfor multiple scales, and how a standard Han could have his coat digitally sculpted over the existing body (in computer modeling).

Sallah

Reaction score
Right, well Hasbro definitely uses digital sculpting software for Star Wars, there was a video online not too long ago that shows the design team working on the 6" Biker Scout in a digital sculpting program.

Reaction score
I think folks are confusing 3D printing with digital sculpting.

The figures are not 3D printed. That wouldn't really be cost effective in mass production... But they very well may be digital sculpts that are then used to create molds. This would account for the same sculpt veing usedfor multiple scales, and how a standard Han could have his coat digitally sculpted over the existing body (in computer modeling).

Sallah
That definitely would explain Han. The ANH and Bespin seem to definitely have the same roots. I was really surprised to find out the legs aren't identical. The boots seem to be but the pants are folded completely different. Looking forward to getting my Han Bespin in hand to compare.

Reaction score
That's for posting the links, I appreciate you digging them up. I see what you're saying about the pattern but it's not a print. It's tough to explain but the pattern of layers on a 3D print don't appear that way. They don't start on one part and stop on another. That pattern would need to start at the sole of Hans boots and stop on crown of his hair. Also the layers don't change direction(as seen on the hood of the jawas). It would be thin slices of plastic stacked one by one on stop of each other all the way through the object. Here's a print of the new episode 7 speeder.
Yeah I see what you mean about the pattern, I was thinking since they were still putting joints together for these that maybe that accounted for the pattern being at different angles, etc. but looking more closely it doesn't make sense especially when you look at where the front of he Jawa robes meet and it doesn't match that stacking you pointed out with some of the 3D printed items I have.

Reaction score
I think the sculptor on both Han and the jawas decided to do a "pull" from real cloth on to the sculpt, to make it look more like fabric.

Reaction score
So, does this Han have swivel wrists or are they just separate pieces from the arms that were stuck into the end and glued in place?

Reaction score
Can they be pulled out? I'm waiting to see how long it takes for someone to start customizing this guy. Other than the head swap onto TVC body.

Reaction score
This figure was very close to being a great figure. The addition of

-better paint/plastic
-more articulation
-slightly less wide stance

Reaction score
This figure was very close to being a great figure. The addition of

-better paint/plastic
-more articulation
-slightly less wide stance

Nah, its great. Paint is awesome on all I've seen.

You already have your SA Bespin Han with "better paint/plastic, more articulation and less wide stance.":

Lol….

Reaction score
Nope. I don't think the vintage figure came out as well as it could have. This legends figure was almost exactly what I wanted. Added articulation, slightly wider stance and better paint would make this figure great to me.

Reaction score
received mine yesterday from BBTS. it's a great figure indeed. sadly my house is a construction zone nightmare and all of my figures are in storage save for a few or I would post pics of him in the BMF and alongside Chewie.

Reaction score
I think this figure is more suited for the potf2 or saga Falcon.
It fits in with it alot better.

received mine yesterday from BBTS. it's a great figure indeed. sadly my house is a construction zone nightmare and all of my figures are in storage save for a few or I would post pics of him in the BMF and alongside Chewie.

Reaction score
I think this figure is more suited for the potf2 or saga Falcon.
It fits in with it alot better.
I was going to post a similar thought, but figured maybe I was just crazy. :)

I think he looks better with the OTC version. Don't get me wrong... The BMF and all the "big scale" vehicles are great, but I kinda fell those belong with the SA 3.75" line. The 5 POA seem to fit better with the slightly out of scale vehicles based on the vintage molds.

I have my OTC Falcon out with these now (one of the few things I held onto from my 3.75" collecting days) and it really does "feel" like the vintage line came back. I could see myself hunting down a '95 X-Wing & Shadows of the Empire Slave 1 very soon...

Sallah