Guy Standaven

Reaction score
Does anyone out there in the massive Star Wars universe know who Guy Standevan played in A New Hope? Guy was an extra/actor who appeared in over 1000 films/TV shows from the 1940's up until his death in 1998. He did many uncredited bits in films but he was credited quite a few times in small parts in which he had lines. If you goggle his name you will find many pictures of him from websites such as Britmovies, Moviedude and the actors compendium. His link with Star Wars is that he used to do signings at conventions and it's been said at Britmovies that he was in the original film. Does anyone recall meeting him? Does anyone know who he played?

Reaction score
IMDb credits a fellow by the name of Anthony Lang for playing the part of BoShek.

IMDb doesn't list a Star Wars credit for Guy Standevan though.

I do see him list here in this other thread as a 'celebrity signer' at conventions, supposedly tying him to Star Wars.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1030863/

Here's a website that offers vid caps of actors in their roles. Under Guy's page there is no mention of Star Wars.

http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=34168

This thread remind me of another thread I recall reading years ago, about a guy who used to frequent the conventions pretending to have been in Star Wars. Anyone recall that guys name? I seem to recall him claiming that he played a jawa, but there some evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
Reaction score
there was a guy who did those "ahhh 7-up" commercials in the 1980's, who claimed to be the voice of Darth Vader. he got away with it because, James Earl Jones was not credited for his work as the voice of Darth Vader, until the special editions in 1997.

Reaction score
IMDb credits a fellow by the name of Anthony Lang for playing the part of BoShek.
Talk:BoShek - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

^^ scroll down half way through the page to the heading "this is not Anthony Lang" -- there is a picture of Anthony Lang, and, this guy is CLEARLY not Bo Shek ;) hehe

meanwhile, Guy Standeven DOES look like Bo Shek. judging by the photos, I'm pretty sure that's him. *shrug*

-===-

edit

Anthony Lang played THIS guy, in ROTJ http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sim_Aloo

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anthony_Lang <-- this is definitley NOT the same guy who played Bo Shek. IMDb is clearly mistaken.

Last edited:
Reaction score

These are all from films released in the late seventies (in order from 76 to 79).

Reaction score
looks like the same guy to me. the 1977 pic has the hair combed at a different angle, to create a sort of "comb-over" to extend the hairline. and the sideburns are obviously fake. he obviously spent some time in the "hair and makeup" trailer with the rest of the Cantina patrons. any other differences can be attributed to the raised-eyebrow-("..Alderraan? Really? I don't think so.")-expression on his face. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
looks like the same guy to me. the 1977 pic has the hair combed at a different angle, to create a sort of "comb-over" to extend the hairline. and the sideburns are obviously fake. he obviously spent some time in the "hair and makeup" trailer with the rest of the Cantina patrons. any other differences can be attributed to the raised-eyebrow-("..Alderraan? Really? I don't think so.")-expression on his face. ;)
Thanks for all the replays. I really don't thinks he's Bo Shek though. They look very different. He's probably a background officer as he often played official types. Who knows. The mystery continues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replays. I really don't thinks he's Bo Shek though. They look very different. He's probably a background officer as he often played official types. Who knows. The mystery continues.
Mystery (semi) solved! He is in Return of the Jedi. He's an officer in the briefing room scene. Thanks to the people at Britmovies for that ( forums/Extras/ Guy Standaven) As for A New Hope? Who knows?

Reaction score

These are all from films released in the late seventies (in order from 76 to 79).
They look very different if you study their hairlines and foreheads. Even their noses are very different though appear similar on initial glance.

Hard to believe someone may have played even a minor role in Star Wars but not lay claim to the role. I wonder if it's an extra that passed on prior to the early 1990's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
there was a guy who did those "ahhh 7-up" commercials in the 1980's, who claimed to be the voice of Darth Vader. he got away with it because, James Earl Jones was not credited for his work as the voice of Darth Vader, until the special editions in 1997.
Actually JEJ was credited for ROTJ I think. I remember the guy you mean. He played Daddy Warbucks' butler in the 1982 version of Annie, Punjab.

Reaction score

If you look at the ears on the guy in the blue shirt pic, these seem to be the same ears as BoShek. The is a forensics way of telling as most ears are like a fingerprint. Very similar, or the same.

Reaction score
Nope. The edge of the ear is much thicker on BoShek. It isn't the same person.

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of TVC
Reaction score
I just read about this and was here to check if it'd been updated... beat me to it by a day! :grin:

Dat shirt tho...

Reaction score
Picture1.pngPicture2.png
Found at last! Six years after I made the post and all thanks to frequent Guy Standeven spotter, Joe. Due to IMDB not allowing anymore uncredited parts being added for a New Hope he is down as miscellaneous crew for this film. I guess he's some sort of Rebel pilot or crew person. Guy is also in the briefing room scene in Return of the Jedi but alas you don't see him in the final film. He could well be the same character I guess. Picture3.png

Reaction score
The money arrow is the big thick white arrow pointing to the guy with the hat that is sitting down. Only TWO hats exist in the production photograph that faces the crowd - ONE hat is standing and ONE hat is sitting down.

The guy with the magenta arrow is not Guy Standeven. He doesn't line up.

I noticed there may yet be other BTS photography out there, but it will be some time (forever) before I can work on it.

GuyStandevenSearch_1_EDIT.jpgGuyStandevenSearch_2_EDIT.jpg

Reaction score
Now I’m thinking this could be Guy. In 1976 Guy wasn’t as grey as the other bloke. Hmm...the mystery continues.C82CA45B-4D60-48B1-9EA7-E617BAD61A16.jpeg

Reaction score
Dear Star Wars Fans

My book on Guy Standeven is now available to buy on Amazon. The title is Who's That Guy? The Sometimes 'Knightmare' Life of an Unknown Actor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FP54XCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would like to thank you all for your help in trying to identifying Guy in A New Hope. Eventually, my American pal, Joe found him in the Rebel Briefing scene and although this isn't conclusive I know that mid 70's hairline better than my own! Therefore I'm convinced it's him.

A book about an unknown but much-loved actor is something of a niche interest but I think I have told his story well and hope, of course, you buy a copy!

Best wishes,

Marcus