Guest List, Part II?

Reaction score
Re: Umm...Guest List, Part II?

if the show isn't just an autograph show then why bother with the autograph hall at all? like it or not autographs now are a part of star wars so this is one of the reasons why people including myself are coming to this event

i want this show to be special, i really do but it could be spoilt by the lack of guests

Reaction score

I think a lot more people would complain if 100 guests went, than the few people here complaining about 35. I remember at a certain convention I went to, the cues clashed so much, people complained constantly. It's striking a balance with what Star Wars fans want, and what autograph hunters want.

-Nick

Reaction score

"It's striking a balance with what Star Wars fans want, and what autograph hunters want."

I am sorry but that is not a balance for either party, there is not a balance of old and new MAIN guests from the six films, I am sorry, and I am not going to be convinced by any of the pro CE supports on the boards.....

Reaction score

LITTLEOBIWAN said:
"It's striking a balance with what Star Wars fans want, and what autograph hunters want."

I am sorry but that is not a balance for either party, there is not a balance of old and new MAIN guests from the six films, I am sorry, and I am not going to be convinced by any of the pro CE supports on the boards.....
No, I meant a balance in terms of entertainment & things to do, including guests and that.

-Nick

Reaction score

Nick_Macarty said:
LITTLEOBIWAN said:

No, I meant a balance in terms of entertainment & things to do, including guests and that.

-Nick
Shame this show doesnt really have a balance of either at the moment

Reaction score

emotionalvampire said:
Shame this show doesnt really have a balance of either at the moment
How do you know, it hasn't happend yet. Most shows tend to have more than they promote, so we will have to see what happens.

-Nick

Reaction score

swgrapher72 said:
I think Jeremy has high tailed it out of here. He can't possibly come up with any more excuses.
Jeremy has been on holiday in Sardinia without an interent connection, enjoying +40C weather, the clear blue waters of the Mediterranean and not having to deal with thread.

I'm back now but will be making this my last post in the Guest List thread since none of the answers I have given have been enough for most of you. Enjoy whatever you get out of the show, and if you have any personal comments to make aboout me then I invite you to approach me at CE instead of posting them here where I will neither see or respond to them.

Jeremy

Reaction score

THANK GOD. Later Jeremy, glad you enjoyed your time off and i'm personally glad we didn't have to hear any more excuses from you here. It's 13 days until the show. There is no excuse from the organizers anymore. Very Weak.

Reaction score

Do we need excuses for a show that hasn’t happened yet? NO!

I take it all you complainers won’t be going to CE then?

After all the complaining about the CE organisers not giving you the information you want, it would be stupid not to listen to your own info & advice and still go.

It’s just beyond me how anyone can judge an event before it’s even happened, and I can understand the lack of replies to the few complainers now; it’s looking a little sus.

I think I'll sit back and enjoy the game.

-Nick

Reaction score

I was always positive about CE until a few days ago. Im a little disappointed Jeremy et al has decided not to answer questions, I dont know his connection to CE but he seems knowledable. Maybe an admission that things are not going to plan would have sufficed.
Its only 13 days to announce the rest of the guests and with a stuntman allegedly going to sign instead of performing on stage then I think i'll give this event a miss. I never thought id be saying that.

Reaction score

At the end of the day they are not going to dish out every piece of information to the public are they on a daily basis. If there was 150-200 or even 300 guests how would you experience the whole event that CE is going to offer. I agree with what nick m says and i say enjoy the show for what it is not because they have got a certain amount of Guests.

I agree we are not being told everything but why should we be told everything. I personally am going to meet up with fellow collectors and mingle and hopefully grab a odd bargain
. I bet at the end of the day you will have a smile on your face after the event.
Just my few pence worth.

Reaction score

__Coxie__ said:
At the end of the day they are not going to dish out every piece of information to the public are they on a daily basis.
Just once a month, or even every 2 months would be acceptable.

Reaction score

SteveSith said:
__Coxie__ said:
At the end of the day they are not going to dish out every piece of information to the public are they on a daily basis.
Just once a month, or even every 2 months would be acceptable.
I totally agree and understand with what you are saying steve but on the other side of things you have to take into consideration they have had C4 to organise and run so that has took up alot of there resources. We have had to play secound fiddle to you guys in the states when it comes celebrations.

I'm in the fan section on our club table and all our paperwork for it has only just been delivered to us. Its about and all our details and requests for the table and check this out, all of the paperwork had to be in by mid april we had it delivered last week.

Reaction score

I thought 'they' have nothing to do with both CIV and CE. Both are run by seperate bodies. Thats why Lucasfilm has Cards Inc to organise it.

Reaction score

maybe i'm not the best on the comments about who organises what cos i aint got a clue but we have been kept in the dark about a lot but now since c4 is over with we've been getting plenty of news trickling though so there do seems to be a bit of a link.

But you know your going to love it at ce beside's you've got the reblescum table to entertain you. But then i do live about 100 miles away from london and i haventgot to travel round the world to get to it

Reaction score

Nick it appears your taking over for Jeremy, which is just great.

The fact is, this show should have never taken place in July. They needed some downtime after C4 in the US and having this show less than two months later was not a good idea and not well planned out.

It's very sad when shows in the UK (not the US) that are being planned for September are announcing guests on a daily basis and they are much more exciting and definetely more rare than anything that has been announced for CE.

I'm not bashing the entire show, just the autograph guests. Again, this is a post about the guests at the show, not the show itself and if you look at the lineup, compared to other shows across the UK in the last year and in the future, it's very, very, weak.

There is no debating it, no arguing it. It's just a fact. I am going to go, maybe for a few hours or so, but that's about it. I have my plans already and i'm going to stay the course.

I was hoping for a better turnout and I was hoping for better communication instead of LIES. We have been told time after time annoucnements are coming. Now it's 13 days before the open of the show and they are still draging their feet. Why?

It's a simple question, why? With 13 days to go before C4 the guest list was nailed down, as were most of the behind the scenes guests who were doing panels throughout the weekend.

This show is being poorly organized, at least from the autograph hall, which is a MAJOR BOON to the organizers and promoters. Don't forget, they are getting a healthy cut of what is being taken in and they know that people will line up to get autographs like they do at every show.

I'm sure some big announcment is coming soon... oh wait...they said that a month ago....or was that three weeks ago? oh, i think it was two weeks ago...???

I could understand if this show was two months away, then ok, they have a legimate excuse but it's 13 days and they are still keeping people in the dark.

Very weak.

Reaction score

Whereas CIV was more well organized, I am sure CE will pull it together in the 11th hour. Say what you will about it being organized, it's still a SW event and it's not like these things happen every day...give the folks behind the curtain a chance!

Reaction score

I see what your saying, but I don't know why we need to have constant updates. I've never relied on an update for any show in the UK I've been to.

Agreed a bigger gap after C4 would have helped, but I think a lot of guest's must also book there Holidays during this time anyway which doesn't help either. Especialy with the way the weather is in the UK at the moment.

-Nick

Reaction score

I think a few things sum this event up for me......

1) Mike Edmonds is advertised as Jabba's right arm or something, rather than Logray the Ewok. Considering you already have a Jabba Puppetteer on the books advertising him as another is rather odd, especially when he played an ewok.

2) Has this show even been advertised to anyone other than the converted? By that I mean those who don't already hang out at conventions like collectormania and memorabilia. I have friends in London and they haven't seen or heard a thing about it.

Reaction score

garindan said:
2) Has this show even been advertised to anyone other than the converted? By that I mean those who don't already hang out at conventions like collectormania and memorabilia. I have friends in London and they haven't seen or heard a thing about it.
I saw a full page advert on the back of the "Model & Collectors mart" last week. Plus various other places.

-Nick

Reaction score

It has been advertised nearly every day in The Evening Standard......

Reaction score

SFX and Empire magazine have been advertising it also with full page ads

Reaction score

The free London Newspaper 'Lite' have also had ads running all of last week, including a front page one. Local radio stations have also had regular ads. I've seen lots of articles in newspaper featuring Star Wars items and telling of CE, and on Sat 7th July the Times looks to have a big article on Star Wars and no doubt CE will be its focus. So yes, there's been plenty of advertising outside of the normal routes, far more then I've ever known for a convention.

I can't talk too much about the South Hall plans, but there's lots of nice touches and I think it'll create a great Star Wars atmosphere. It's pretty darn big too. Besides the many collecting panels, there'll be artists talks and I'm sure the actors will have panels (we know Ant Daniels will, and Rick Mc is a dead cert!)). We also have the CG CW presentation, no doubt a Lucasarts presentation, live music event, Empire quiz final, ANH screening and all the art exhibition&archive stuff which is taking place in the galleries. This is all stuff that has been revealed from open sources, so again it comes back to what I've said elsewhere, people just don't seem to want to accept other stuff besides the autograph hall is happening.

I agree the guest annoucements should have been better delt with, and the line-up could be stronger. But with SM pulling out late on, they've been left in a very difficult situation and trying their best.

Outside of the autograph hall, I've been really impressed with how things have gone. I'm only involved with the fan area (promoting the FanForce and running the fan art exhibition) and I've been delt with very professionally and well informed through-out the past six months. So it's important to put things in context if you'rt going to slate the show.

I don't deny the autograph hall is a big deal, and it'll be nice to have big guests do panels too, and from that POV the line-up is disappointing but I think there's still time and a chance things may improve a bit more. I'd rather they be realistic and not make promises they can't keep.

Reaction score

I am surprised that Mayhew and Baker have not been announced......

Reaction score

Guys, guys... I've ben ill at home for two days and when I return all I read on this thread is a bunch of naysayers ranting about CE like it was the end of the world. On the up-side, Nick has handled his argumentation well (IMHO). I'm in total agreement with his comments: for me, too, CE will be about FUN.

And I betcha, guys, STAR WARS FUN is what I intend to have while in London at CE!!

Whether there'll be 200, 300, 3000, or just 3 signing guests present... We (you!) are the ones who'll make the difference. WE'RE the celebrities, if WE handle the event properly.

And I'm all the more at ease to say this, because, other than being a RS staff member I have nothing whatsoever to do with the convention's organization. Just a plain and simple collector and fan from Portugal.

FZ Over And Out.

Reaction score

Thanks for the info matt. I didn't know about the artist talks, Empire quiz final, AD talk, and ANH screening. Should be fun!

Reaction score

mattman81 said:
I agree the guest annoucements should have been better delt with, and the line-up could be stronger. But with SM pulling out late on, they've been left in a very difficult situation and trying their best.
When I was at CIV, I was asking some of the guests at CE, Dave Prowse and Ian Liston to name two. They all told me the same thing that Cards Inc dropped SM because they wanted to bring too many of their own guests in. Possible meaning a bit more profit for SM!
Looking at their line up for LFACC, they now have loads of first time SW signers going which kind of shows what they could have brought to CE

Reaction score

emotionalvampire, the SM being sacked rumour was put to bed a few weeks back by Jason Joiner himself. And why would Crads inc. begrudge SM bringing in people on their books?? That's why they were employed in the first place and that's exactly what Derek Maki is doing, so the rumour is not only false but makes no sense. And profit is not always a guarantee, I'm sure Jason will tell you that too.

G

Yeah, lots of rain and half of Yorkshire and Worcestershire are underwater, but this is gradually improving. London hasn't been affected and isn't likely to be due to major flood defences.

DLoSith said:
Nick_Macarty said:
Especialy with the way the weather is in the UK at the moment.

-Nick
What's the weather like in the UK at the moment? Bad??

Reaction score

Gobo1979uk said:
Yeah, lots of rain and half of Yorkshire and Worcestershire are underwater, but this is gradually improving. London hasn't been affected and isn't likely to be due to major flood defences.

DLoSith said:
Nick_Macarty said:

-Nick
My friend in Hertfordshire says its been hot but with only 10 mins of rain here and there. Its next to London so I assume its much the same there.

Reaction score

LITTLEOBIWAN said:
I am surprised that Mayhew and Baker have not been announced......
I'm sure Baker will be there, he usually does not miss something like this. Mayhew may not want to fly to London. I think they will only have 7 more signers to announce, so I don't think there is going to be that one great signer to make us auto collectors really happy. I could be wrong though. I've found some great other things to do in London during the weekend though - so I'll still have fun.

Reaction score

SteveSith said:
Gobo1979uk said:

DLoSith said:
Nick_Macarty said:

-Nick
My friend in Hertfordshire says its been hot but with only 10 mins of rain here and there. Its next to London so I assume its much the same there.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the weather in London has been awful.....near non-stop rain....and its meant to continue!

Reaction score

Non-stop rain but there'll still be water shortages this Summer due to it being the wrong sort of rain.
Funny enough though I heard we will have one day of Summer thins, and the date for that will be July 15th

Reaction score

From Star Wars. Com

Autograph and Entertainment Stars at Celebration Europe
July 02, 2007

Stage and screen star Jay Laga'aia will make a rare appearance signing in the autograph hall at Star Wars Celebration Europe, and will also take to the stage as host of the Cantina Battle of the Bands on Saturday night.

Laga'aia is fresh from his Celebrity Hosting duties at Star Wars Celebration IV, and at Disney's Star Wars Weekend at their MGM Studio in Orlando, Florida.

In addition to his Star Wars role as Captain Typho, Padmé Amidala's head of security in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, the actor has a distinguished and busy career, starring in numerous productions on both stage and screen. Children's projects have always held a special place in Laga'aia's heart. For seven years he has worked on a pre-school children's show for ABC Australia, and is currently creating a children's show that will be performed at the Sydney Opera House in September of 2007. The prolific Laga'aia is also writing a children's music album for ABC Music, and children's books for Scholastic.

Celebration Europe looks to provide the biggest selection of Star Wars stars at a single European convention to date. Stars will be signing autographs and appearing on stage and/or in meet and greet sessions.

Jerome Blake: Mas Amedda, Orn Free Taa, Rune Haako, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith.

Blake started his career as a musician before moving into film and discovering the world of costumes, armor, and stunts.

John Coppinger: Senator Yarua, Jabba the Hutt's eyes, Graxol Kelvyyn, Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace.
A visual effects artist whose career has spanned decades of popular movies, Coppinger is also a poet and sculptor.

Dave and Lou Elsey, the Academy Award-nominated Creature Shop Creative Supervisor and Creature Shop Fabrication Supervisor for Episode III Revenge of the Sith, will travel from Australia to celebrate the magic of movie creation and makeup arts with fans at Celebration Europe. The Elseys share an infectious enthusiasm for creature effects and makeup, and will share the inside story of their incredible work on Revenge of the Sith. In addition to their time in the autograph hall and on stage, the Elseys will provide their expert eyes as judges for the costume panel, and will appear for a meet-and-greet session in the Star Wars Fan Club Lounge.

Julian Glover: General Veers, The Empire Strikes Back.
The busy actor has appeared not only in The Empire Strikes Back and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, but recently voiced Aragog in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and played Triopas in Troy.

Garrick Hagon: Biggs Darklighter, A New Hope.
In addition to a busy stage and film career, Hagon writes and directs for his audio book company, The Story Circle. The company continues to win numerous awards for its productions.

Nalini Krishan: Barriss Offee, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Born in Fiji, Krishan started her acting training in college and has appeared in Indian feature films.

Richard LeParmentier: Admiral Motti, A New Hope.

LeParementier has had a long and busy career, appearing in more than 50 film and television productions. He also has written extensively for the U.K. film and television industry.

Peter Mayhew: Chewbacca, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Revenge of the Sith.
Not only did Mayhew create the favorite Wookiee hero onscreen for the original trilogy, he returned to the set for Revenge of the Sith. Like his onscreen character of Chewbacca, Mayhew has been a favorite in the Star Wars fan community through the years.

Mary Oyaya: Luminara Unduli, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith.

In addition to her role in Episodes II and III, Oyaya appeared in Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, and the television series Farscape.

Simon Williamson: Max Rebo, Gamorrean Guard, Mon Calamari Officer, Return of the Jedi.

Max Rebo was one of the signature new characters created for Jabba's palace in Episode VI. Williamson helped bring Rebo and a number of other characters to life.

Matthew Wood: General Grievous, Revenge of the Sith; Dug Taxi Driver, Attack of the Clones; Bib Fortuna, The Phantom Menace.

Wood, the Supervising Sound Editor for the Star Wars prequels, created the voice for General Grievous for Episode III, and voices for other prequel characters as well. Always busy with his technical responsibilities for the film, Wood managed to find his voice -- or rather helped the nefarious droid general find his voice.