Green Leader's A-Wing with Arvel Crynyd

Reaction score
Re: A-Wing Green Leader with Arvel Crynyd

jadams said:

at the walmart in Roanoke Texas....

This may sound somewhat petty, but I think that the a-wing in this photo may be a packaging variant, all the other a-wings that I have seen don't have that plastic "bubble" under it, the ones that i have seen including the one I got is lying on it's belly

Reaction score

Found one at my Walmart today, now I'm a happy camper

This thing is great, highly recommended. Now my A-Wing fleet has a leader.

Reaction score

Rizz said:
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else in the thread, but I was wondering if anyone has seen the gunships without seeing the A-wings in the same store?
I have. The Gunships seem to be much more plentiful in my neck of the woods.

Reaction score

gunships only in my walmart as well here in charlotte, nc. I had to ebay my a-wing

Reaction score

Saw this today but ill wait for clearance prices. Odly the 2 walmarts near me one has about 25 gunships the other about 30 Awings.

Reaction score

I picked one up today. I have to say I wandered the store debating on whether to get one before I forced myself, knowing I'd kick myself later if I didn't. But as much as I love the look, new cockpit and the fact that they threw in a figure I'm still not sure that it was worth the money. Also, I saw the new TLC and CW battlepacks and wanted them too but couldn't justify spending all that money. Who wants to bet that in a month all the unsold A-Wings will be marked down to 20 dollars? The Walmart Exclusive strikes again.

Reaction score

Yeah, for these Wal-Mart exclusive prices I am most certainly waiting for the clearance tags. And if they never hit clearance and I don't get one, then it wasn't meant to be.

Reaction score

Wish I could wait on clearance prices. A month ago my walmart finally put the Figrin Dan tin set on clearance $2 cheaper, though they now marked it down to $18. So think I'll have to pick up an A-Wing when I see one.

Reaction score

I picked one up this morning. There were 16 of them on the top shelf above the Star Wars section.

Reaction score

ohmAniPadmeOhm said:
Who wants to bet that in a month all the unsold A-Wings will be marked down to 20 dollars? The Walmart Exclusive strikes again.
No way. Walmart is way slow in clearancing items. The absolute earliest we will see this clearanced is post-Christmas, and I doubt it will even come then.

Reaction score

Anyone want an A-Wing for $20 shipped? POTF2 version but it looks the same as this exclusive as far as I can tell. Just the ship, no packing & it doesn't have the new pilot guy.

Reaction score

macross7 said:
Anyone want an A-Wing for $20 shipped? POTF2 version but it looks the same as this exclusive as far as I can tell. Just the ship, no packing & it doesn't have the new pilot guy.
i think the exclusive has a new cockpit and canopy.

Reaction score

BingoBrown said:
ohmAniPadmeOhm said:
Who wants to bet that in a month all the unsold A-Wings will be marked down to 20 dollars? The Walmart Exclusive strikes again.
No way. Walmart is way slow in clearancing items. The absolute earliest we will see this clearanced is post-Christmas, and I doubt it will even come then.
Yep, I remember when the Cantina Band members were piled high on risers and they just sat there for months not moving. It wasn't until recently they went on clearance along with the Max Rebo band sets.

Reaction score

Hasbro giveth and taketh away. Theres a new cockpit but they removed the clear plastic cone thruster thingies in the back. I always thought those were part of the engines. Now its just empty space painted yello with screw holes. On the plus side I think they finally got the landing gear working 100% this time around. The new handles in the cockpit look fragile tho.

And why does everyone forget this mold was made 25 years ago and paid for itself several times over by now with all these releases. Theres obvious price gouging going on.

The original droids release only got produced when kenner's bean counters sourced a factory and figured out a production count that recouped the original cost to tool it while yielding a profit.

Each subsequent release was just gravy to hasbro after the cost of a few ounces of plastic. Just like everything else they repaint. Dont have to pay people to conceptualize sketch and sculpt out of thin air. No development/engineering and tooling costs to make something from scratch. Just dust off the old mold again and again. Their profit margin is huge on rehashed stuff like this compared to all new vehicles like the torrent fighter and homing spider which still end up selling for $19.99 despite all the work that has to go into them. This comes with a figure, big deal. Its a new head & helmet on last years figure. Using 90% of a mold that paid itself off last year too or the bean counters wouldnt have approved its production the 1st time.

One of the reasons why this ship is always released with a figure in the modern line is because it lacks any action feature to sell it. Action features/action figure. Its a trade off. So it evens out in a $19.99 price range. This should have been $20-$22 tops. Not enough new and not enough bang for the $30 bucks. I got the dagger squadron b-wing for $5 more the first week it was out. Sure thats an old mold too but its a bigger ship with action features, interchangeable guns, extra stickers and the pilot came with a gun. This has a new cockpit that makes it more cramped to fit a figure. La dee daa.

Hasbro needs to learn how to put things in perspective and stop pushing it with the price gouging. Oil doesnt cost $150 a barrel still. That was one time and then it dropped. Its currently cheaper then a year ago when basic figures sold for $6.99. They cant ride on that oil excuse forever and they already got a hefty profit 3rd quarter before any price increases were in effect. They arent exactly hurting. Just taking advantage of bad times.

Reaction score

Darth_Sinister said:
Hasbro giveth and taketh away. Theres a new cockpit but they removed the clear plastic cone thruster thingies in the back. I always thought those were part of the engines. Now its just empty space painted yello with screw holes.
Those plastic bits aren't supposed to be there, from what I've seen on ILM models of the ship. I thought they were leftovers from a light-up feature back in the day, but checking out vintage boxes & descriptions that's not the case... Kenner might have added the clear plastic to give more support to the thrusters' framework.

In any case, the new thrusters are MORE accurate, not LESS, so I call that a good thing.

Reaction score

got it today, never had an A wing and very impressed but 30 dollars? too much just for a included pilot, its a small ship, the smallest of all the rebel ships by far. rebel pilot is neat but they shoulda had him in a screaming expression like that scene lol. happy that its the movie color aqnd not some green yellow whatever. i have now have all the rebel ships from the movies, now i just wish hasbro would release all the imp ships, still need the tie bomber and interceptor.

Reaction score

Keaton33 said:
got it today, never had an A wing and very impressed but 30 dollars? too much just for a included pilot, its a small ship, the smallest of all the rebel ships by far. rebel pilot is neat but they shoulda had him in a screaming expression like that scene lol. happy that its the movie color aqnd not some green yellow whatever. i have now have all the rebel ships from the movies, now i just wish hasbro would release all the imp ships, still need the tie bomber and interceptor.
I hate buying repaxcks but this one was worth it.

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
Darth_Sinister said:
Hasbro giveth and taketh away. Theres a new cockpit but they removed the clear plastic cone thruster thingies in the back. I always thought those were part of the engines. Now its just empty space painted yello with screw holes.
Those plastic bits aren't supposed to be there, from what I've seen on ILM models of the ship. I thought they were leftovers from a light-up feature back in the day, but checking out vintage boxes & descriptions that's not the case... Kenner might have added the clear plastic to give more support to the thrusters' framework.

In any case, the new thrusters are MORE accurate, not LESS, so I call that a good thing.

I give kenner credit for designing something un obstructive to the look yet adding to the ship to make it more practical and intricate as well as sturdy for a toy. because its still a toy.

As this new a-wing is, its just 2 rings held on by the end tips of the rear wings. Drop it and it breaks easily. Not really an improvement if its more prone to breaking. And thats not a good thing.

If they wanted accuracy hasbro should have painted the whole inside of the engine housing and rings yellow too. Or better yet achieve that effect by returning these missing pieces but casting them in translucent yellow plastic.

Lightsabers are just beams of light in the movies. For the toys they are cast in plastic. No problems there. So why shouldnt the light emanating from engine thrusters be any different to achieve a similar look. Its still a toy and painting two yellow circles with flat paint doesnt exactly mimic movie accuracy.

Reaction score

BingoBrown said:
Depends on the store too. I've seen $1 3" 2007 Titaniums and $15 TF Classics Devastator sets at various Walmarts when their neighboring stores still have them at full price. Surprises like these usually happen around the time SKU's get dropped so a particular Walmart store will drop the price tremendously to clear the stock out of their system. Now since Target stores are faster at responding to dropped SKU's, this is a hint that some Walmarts may respond as well to the same drop SKU, but again its up to the individual store.

Now since the A-wing is an exclusive, this may or may not happen. Since 1994, the only Walmart exclusive I've seen drop is the Commerative Cantina figure set (at $10 for some Walmarts). Other Walmarts in the area kept them at full price until they eventually sold down.

Reaction score

I picked this up for Christmas today. Hopefully I'll be able to find somehwere to display it.

Reaction score

Got one at last and love it! Simple, good cockpit, great pilot. Nothing extra like action features even though there are traces of the previous releases. Overall a ship I can treat as a scale model and that goes hand-in-hand with my big tie and b-wing. Perfect.

Reaction score

BingoBrown said:
ohmAniPadmeOhm said:
I totally agree with you. We still have Max Rebo Band members for $30 and even Episode I figures from 1999 on the shelf!?!? What's up with that? Probably somebody took them back for credit.

Reaction score

Unknown said:
I picked this up for Christmas today. Hopefully I'll be able to find somehwere to display it.
Hang it on the wall like I do.
Merry Christmas!

Reaction score

That's one of the ideas I had. Got any pics to show me how it's done?

Reaction score

Darth_Sinister said:
Lightsabers are just beams of light in the movies. For the toys they are cast in plastic. No problems there. So why shouldnt the light emanating from engine thrusters be any different to achieve a similar look.
Because maybe kids & collectors don't want it to look like it's flying ALL the time? And those big hunks of clear plastic, painted translucent yellow, would make it look like the engines are on.

You're REALLY reaching for arguments on why an improved & more accurate ship is worse than its predecessors. I don't even think the 'more prone to breakage' argument holds water, as I doubt the clear parts in previous versions would've made the entire engine structure that much sturdier.

What next? Demanding the return of the vintage X-wing mold because the large-size version's wings tend to droop?

Reaction score

^^
Agreed. It looks much better now that it's more movie accurate. I just found this today and it's awesome. Best release of this ship yet. The new cockpit and paint apps are great. Arvel's a bit disappointing compared to earlier pics (lack of the white boot cover things) but he's still a really good figure with a very nice head sculpt. With the helmet on he looks very close to the actor in the film. They must've had about 25-30 of these on an endcap far from the toy section. They've probably had it for a while and I just kept missing it, since it was in a such an odd spot. With how many they had, looks like no one else has found them yet either.

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
Darth_Sinister said:
Lightsabers are just beams of light in the movies. For the toys they are cast in plastic. No problems there. So why shouldnt the light emanating from engine thrusters be any different to achieve a similar look.
Because maybe kids & collectors don't want it to look like it's flying ALL the time? And those big hunks of clear plastic, painted translucent yellow, would make it look like the engines are on.

You're REALLY reaching for arguments on why an improved & more accurate ship is worse than its predecessors. I don't even think the 'more prone to breakage' argument holds water, as I doubt the clear parts in previous versions would've made the entire engine structure that much sturdier.

What next? Demanding the return of the vintage X-wing mold because the large-size version's wings tend to droop?
Oh here we go again with toonimator REALLY reaching for arguments as we've all come to tediously become acquainted with.

I happen to not see a problem with the nefarious clear plastic pieces. But thats just me and you shouldnt let this fact bother you so much to pick apart my post on this ridiculous issue, twice now? And surely a third to come. I would have thought once you reached "emperor status" you would stop this type of harping and nit pick posting again and again nagging and beating dead horses to death to make yourself seem right all the time while increasing your posts. You do it all the time to everyone on here thread after thread. You cant let anything go. You pick and provoke then get in over your head you have to argue it and reinforce your own opinion as if its the only "right" one. Its gotten old, ya know? But I'm going to try the same tactics you do to see if you can relate to how annoying it is on the receiving end, threefold.

Where to start...

How about this. You toonimator are really reaching too far to insist this version of the a-wing is "improved" and "accurate" with no faults. Using this tired argument that two clear plastic parts were the absolute downfall of this ship.

In all these years there werent many complaints about the clear plastic parts being inaccurate or letting it bother people so much. Least of all kids. There are things everyone nit picks about but this isnt one of them. YOU are grasping at straws there trying to make it sound as if these two clear parts were the bane of the entire star wars fanbase for 25 years wanting an accurate a-wing. Tone that down a few notches. Its ridiculous.

You do realize they can be taken off easily anyway? So if you didnt want them, invest in a screwdriver and your problems are over. For those of us that want them we dont even have a choice now. They're gone. and they served several purposes. Those of us who hang them up display them "in flight" and if they fall on the back rings they will potentially break. They flex when you grab and twist them gently as it is. They are only attached to the top and bottom of each wing tip with no other support. If you bothered to look at the design of these pieces you will see they *are* meant to strengthen an otherwise poor design in the physical realm. There are two tabs to support the gaps under and above the wings and the clear circles at the ends fill the empty space in the ring so there isnt room to give way. You may have noticed with this ship's design these thrusters stick out in the back. A back end that is more likely to fall on or get hit. When you have something rigid inside filling gaps as fragile as these and stabilizing tabs these parts wont flex or stress as much due to drops or damaging blows. In other words its a clear skeleton for the thrusters. But I tell you what. Drop yours on these rings at ceiling height a few times on a hard floor if you are that confident its sturdy as-is. Removing something meant to keep it intact is not an "improvement" at all. For $30 I want something complete and intact that wont break easier then its predecessors that survived more then a few dings with these pieces in place proving their usefullness.

Your argument on movie accuracy is nonsense. Its still not movie accurate. If two clear removable plastic pieces bother you so much how ever do you cope with that cockpit hatch button being placed too far back? Or the long hinge attached to the cockpit window? I mean if you are going to split hairs, split hairs equally. Those two things mess with the aesthetics a hell of a lot more then the plastic thruster pieces. And my gosh there's screw holes all over the bottom! And a battery compartment that doesnt open. And a hole where a button used to be. And that landing gear cant be all that accurate either. What were the "improvements" again? Oh right... they removed the least of this ships problems, first. Good going.

More inaccuracies: The concussion missile launchers are still unpainted. Not even carbon scorn. And there shouldnt be double black stripes painted outside those rear rings. That was just as made up as the clear thrusters that used to be in this same area. But that inaccuracy is ok? That inaccuracy is "accurate?" That is part of the "improvements?"

But lets get back to the engine thrusters. The "improved" yellow circles they painted "to be movie accurate instead of big hunks of clear plastic" as you say are actually inadequate to say the least and dont come close to representing what IS movie accurate. From the model this area glows yellow. Brightly. Both the complete inner thruster and the inside of the rear rings are yellow. But this with its two flat yellow circles and screw posts sticking out doesnt even cut it. Even if they painted the inside of those rear rings yellow too it would have been a step closer. As it is the engines are senselessly half lit up looking nothing like the movie. By no means is this version "accurate" or an "improvement" as you put it. *Removable* translucent yellow plastic would achieve this effect seen on the model, that was just my suggestion. Leaving these pieces clear would work just as well. And they were not hunks of plastic. They were small, hollow, fit snugly inside, clear and virtually un obstructive in their design. Whats next? Complaining torture droids and senate camera droids have clear rods sticking under them? They're still toys in the end.

Since these thrusters are now painted with those yellow circles the ship's engines ARE permanently "on" ready for flight/flying. Whereas just leaving those clear *removable* pieces on looked more neutral and could go either way. You're arguing pointlessly in circles there. Now paint them yellow too since it suits you. And once again you could just take the clear plastic parts off if you insist your ships should be boringly displayed "parked" at all times and insist everyone else should be limited to your own ideals.

How about understanding this concept/philosophy? In a toyline that has plastic lightsabers. Clear "invisible" stands for small floating objects. Plastic lava. Rubbery electric tendrils. Clip on blast effects. And tangible destroyer droid shields, gungan shields and holograms. Plastic has always been used in versatile ways to achieve certain looks and features. because they are toys. Whats next for you? All lightsabers should not be ignited? Figures should come with hilts because not everyone wants lit sabers and everyone else should just use their imagination? That'll be fun for a TOY line.

And brace yourself but a lot of vehicles arent movie accurate. Jedi starfighters didnt split wing sections apart. V-Wings dont launch their entire "laser" barrels at targets. Nor do STAPs ARCs Gunships... ect. We can be here all day pointing out gross inaccuracies that far outweigh two trivial clear plastic parts you have such hatred for that once again can always be removed to suit your needs. They're still TOYS. Some things have to be practical for play value and presentation as well as make a sturdy product. Buy some high end replicas for explicit accuracy and be anal about them. Let toys be toys, quarks and all.

Lastly, although the argument you're trying to make about the vintage x-wing is waaaaay out there and doesnt really apply - the a-wing only has one mold to utilize - (anything to throw into an argument when you have no more points to make, eh toon?) Fine. Lets go there too. Considering hasbro already has a "better" larger wing tie out, they're re-releasing the vintage Tie fighter with short inaccurate wings AGAIN. For a reason. A vintage x-wing would be no surprise if they choose to release it again at a marketable price point. I dont demand it as you imply, I have no need for more of those actually. You brought up kids before? Goody. Oh sure lots of little kids will be able to easily pick up an FX x-wing mold and fly it around. Or maybe a cheaper smaller version made available to them could be a good alternative. Like the tie fighter (see, did you make that connection yet?) This has been discussed before by others and it makes practical sense. Even if you dont agree. Even if you feel some things are too inferior for your standards. Some people out there might dare to disagree with you also and think what they want. And brace yourself yet again toonimator, some people prefer their small wing tie fighters and vintage mold x-wings for whatever reason they have and they are entitled to have those reasons even if you try to insist they are all wrong reasons because they arent as movie accurate as they could be. Are we done yet?

Reaction score

Saw about 15 of these at my local WM. Then I saw the price. Walked right on by...

Reaction score

It's funny, but I could have sworn I first saw one of these in early September, if not early August. I even considered buying it at the time.

Reaction score

In the last two weeks I have been to 7 different Wal-Marts and only found these at one. They had about 12 or so and I picked up one. Nice vehicle (since I've never owned one) and good looking figure.

Reaction score

I was just at my walmart today. They had lots of them and so i picked 2 of them up, and couldn't be happier!

Totally recommended!!!

Reaction score

I decided to breakout my POTF A-Wing and do a little re-work. So, I picked up another Walmart A-Wing to swap some parts.

Although the POTF A-Wing is over 10 years old
I really like the color scheme and weathering.

I ended up swapping the cannons and the cockpit.

I had a spare GI JOE Hawk figure. I did quick head swap. I had to shave a bit of the inside of the sculpt to get it to fit on the neck post. So, No more CLONE pilots

Reaction score

More pilot pics

Tried giving him a new helmet scheme. I just used some electric tape for a quick fix until I come up with something permanent.

Reaction score

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. They have not appeared here in Canada yet and I am hoping they are coming soon. I have noticed on Ebay that sellers want almost 50 dollars plus around another 20 to ship up here. Seems a bit much for something they are only paying 30 for themselves.
From what I have seen, the ship and figure look great and will make excellent additions to my collection once I am able to get a hold of them.