Green Harvest Blog: Scott McWilliams Prototypes

gus

Reaction score
I started a blog to document the scandal surrounding the prototypes sold by Scott McWilliams:

http://greenharvest.blogspot.com/

1. Please share on your websites and bookmark this blog.
2. Send me any stories about your dealings with Scott, and I'll be sure to post them on the blog.
3. Scott, if you're listening, I welcome your input and commentary as well. Would be happy to post your responses on my blog.

Thanks all!

Gus

Reaction score
I realy hope to see some more info on the current standing towards Scott (possible lawsuit against him ect.). We don't need to know everything, but we would love to know if it goes to court and such.

That letter looks fantastic! As someone who writes and reads legal documents everyday I must say it was more than just a fun read.

-Alex

Reaction score
Thanks for setting that up Gus, ill be sure to email you all the details (including the PM i got from Scott McWilliams claiming you helped determine the value for one of the pieces i bought, a conversation i now know to be bogus) regarding the fake prototype Luke X Wing items i bought from Scott McWilliams.

marc

Reaction score
Gus,

Before I even read the letter, is there any way to black out the personal info on the people involved?

Just looking out for privacy.

*EDIT* A further note after reading it. I also saw the inconsistencies and unprofessional typos Gus has mentioned, and I believe I have seen another.

After saying that after Scott refused refunds and the claim that the result would be an attack on his reputation on the boards was considered a form of extortion, would it also stand to reason that the threat of "you endanger the innocent people you associate with, as well as the entire economic future of yourself and your family" if the thread was not removed also be considered a form of blackmail? I'm no lawyer, but that's how I interpret this statement.

Ian

Reaction score
Gus,

Thanks for putting up the blog and keeping everyone up to date on this terrible scam. It is always nice to see the community continuing to look out for and inform the "masses". Hopefully Scott will come forward and do the right thing.

Scott

gus

Reaction score
Ian_C said:
Gus,

Before I even read the letter, is there any way to black out the personal info on the people involved?

Just looking out for privacy.
That's a great point. I will leave out anything private that people want to black out.

Gus

Reaction score
Ian_C said:
*EDIT* A further note after reading it. I also saw the inconsistencies and unprofessional typos Gus has mentioned, and I believe I have seen another.

After saying that after Scott refused refunds and the claim that the result would be an attack on his reputation on the boards was considered a form of extortion, would it also stand to reason that the threat of "you endanger the innocent people you associate with, as well as the entire economic future of yourself and your family" if the thread was not removed also be considered a form of blackmail? I'm no lawyer, but that's how I interpret this statement.

Ian
Scott's attorney had only been practicing law in Florida for a few days when he wrote the letter (he was admitted 9-20-10). However, others in his firm have been around a while so it's surprising to see this type of demand letter...

Reaction score
Re: Green Harvest Blog: Scott McWilliams Prototype

Best. Blog. Ever.

It amuses me to no end that Scott would choose a "personel" injury firm to represent him in this.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this CJ, Chris, Phil and Gus. I was really hoping the disappearance of the McWilliams thread was because legal action had been taken against him and not vice versa. It would be nice to see that information made available again here or on SWCA just as a reference and w/o Scott's name being mentioned.

Does anyone else feel like the term Green Harvest gives these pieces a sense of legitimacy they don’t deserve?

As a side note. If Georgoulias isn’t an expert on Star Wars Memorabilia then who is?

Gus, you may want to re-redact those addresses again. They are still pretty easy to make out.

Chad

Reaction score
CloudCity_Gangzr said:
Does anyone else feel like the term Green Harvest gives these pieces a sense of legitimacy they don’t deserve?
Actually I was just thinking the same thing.

I don't mean to offend anyone that's involved, but I think the term is a bit unwarranted. I just don't foresee anyone selling these fakes on at a later date. Nor do I see them somehow being "collectible" in any fashion. I view the hobby term Blue Harvest as something totally different.

Just my two cents.

Reaction score

Shane Turgeon said:
It amuses me to no end that Scott would choose a "personel" injury firm to represent him in this.
Based on its website, it appears to be primarily a DUI firm launched in 2002.

Not exactly a Dream Team.

Reaction score

Lol. Maybe now his lawyer will be looking for a lawyer, to go after people point out their inexperience?

Leif

Reaction score

I added a comment to the blog.

It's also worth noting that in the letter, the lawyer ends with the statement "I demand that these slanderous and defametory forum posts be retacted". First of all, everyone knows that 'slander' is by definition, verbal defamation, and does not apply to written statements such as would be found in forum posts. Also, 'retacted' isn't a word, so its a bit unreasonable to write a letter demanding action, when you're going to make people guess as to what action you want them to take.

Right now I'm imagining a law office where people drive around the hallways in bumper cars, with circus music playing over the P.A. system.

Leif

Reaction score

I can appreciate the public service element of posts like this. As a new entrant in the SW hobby, I certainly will spend some time reading up on this matter.

One suggestion: if you want to get this out to as many people as possible, make sure the title tag of your blog is identical to the subject of this thread (minus the Re:). As is, neither the title tag (Green Harvest) or the url (greenharvest.blogspot.com) include any of the information on the person allegedly named to be behind the sale of fake prototypes.

Your best ally and enabler in spreading the word about this will be search engines and to ensure your blog would benefit from the visibility and appearance in search results, you would need the fundamentals of your page to include the basics (i.e. keywords people would use to search if they suspect they've been swindled into buying fake prototypes).

Dave_T, I noticed the Star Wars 1 35 cent variant price box as your avatar. Are you a collector of price variants?

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
CloudCity_Gangzr said:
From theswca.com:

During the early 90's, authentic vintage action figure and Micro Collection silicone molds were used inside Kenner to create hardcopies for sale on the secondary market. Thankfully information came to light years back to debunk the claim that these "Blue Harvest" pieces were authentic prototypes. While they were cast from the original silicone molds, they played no part in the production process. This characteristic makes them reproductions, although somewhat more collectible than a typical reproduction item due to their place in hobby history. It's imperative to note that "Blue Harvest" hardcopies hold a small fraction of value compared to authentic unpainted hardcopies.

The term Green Harvest it totally appropriate to name this scam due to the history of the term Blue Harvest and the use of green dynacast. Another term I heard and chuckled at was "McCopies" but I think Green Harvest fits better.

Though I don't have a horse in this race, thanks Gus for putting this blog out there and keeping everyone up to date. You may be taking a legal risk by being the "face" of those affected but you show you are willing to stand up for what you believe. I wish all those affected by Scott the best of luck in getting this settled.

Mike

Reaction score
Green Harvest is very fitting. The tagline on the GH shirts reads, Profit Beyond Imagination. It's also a play on the Dynacast.

Mike, It was ScottCopies not McCopies. LOL That was my term. Not funny? Sue me.

John

Reaction score
JohnA said:
Green Harvest is very fitting. The tagline on the GH shirts reads, Profit Beyond Imagination. It's also a play on the Dynacast.

John
Be careful John you may for indicted for Liable....

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
JohnA said:

John
Ah, it was ScottCopies. My bad! Sue me for being wrong!

Though I have to admit, I do like McCopies too.

Mike

Reaction score
Another grammar irregularity was the last part on the first page. "you previously ask my client" What is this all your base are belong to us redux? I'm thinking either this is some dopehead or a very elaborate rick roll. I even got a cell call while i was napping and looked up the number to discover its a prank call thing.

Reaction score
I like McCopy too. I’m aware of the origins of blue harvest and I see the reasoning behind the name green harvest. I just don’t care for it. I liken blue harvest to the restrike coins. Pure replication made from production used tools(molds/dies). I liken McCopies to trash. The SW collecting community has created sub categories over smaller distinctions than this in the pass. The focus of bootleg collecting is based on the intent of the creator. Don’t even get me started on kit-bashed pieces. Other than to help the victims of this situation recoup some of their losses, I cant see any good reason to give these a place in the hobby.

As much as I agree with what some of you have said about Scott's legal counsel, it may be unwise to speak negatively about his lawyer. If he is newly barred, he may be gung-ho and sensitive to such comments. I would hate him to work pro bono, just to prove a point. I’m sure he is reading this.

Dax

Reaction score
I think that if anyone harboured any further doubts as to the guilt of this individual, his decision to pursue legal intimidation over coming to the community and explaining his actions speaks volumes. Obviously another desperate tactic to delay refunding money obtained by deception. If he thinks that raising funds to right the wrongs he has wrought is difficult, perhaps he should give a thought to how difficult his life will be while playing Mummys and Daddys with his cell mate in the Federal Penitentiary.

Given Scott's predilection for forgery, have we actually confirmed that the letter did indeed come from the company on the letter head? I wouldn't put it past him to have obtained a letter head and simply filled in the blanks himself. It would certainly be true to type.

Reaction score
CloudCity_Gangzr said:
I like McCopy too. I’m aware of the origins of blue harvest and I see the reasoning behind the name green harvest. I just don’t care for it. I liken blue harvest to the restrike coins. Pure replication made from production used tools(molds/dies).
If 'Blue Harvest' involves reproductions made from vintage molds, then it does make sense that a different name would be applied to these other fakes, which weren't reproduced from original molds.'Green Harvest' makes more sense to me, in a number of ways. It implies a cash grab. It's both a reference to the 'Green Harvest' shirt, and a fitting partner to the 'Blue Harvest' reproductions scam.

While McCopies is cute, based on Scott's last name, but it also sounds like a reference to McDonalds restaurant, which implies a cheap purchase & an equivilent quality of service. As if you paid for a 1/4 pounder, but only got a cheeseburger. That's not quite the situation here, as people shelled out a lot of money, and were defrauded.

My main concern with the 'Green Harvest' is that I wouldn't want to see any of these fakes go the way of the 'Blue Harvest' fakes. It seems that Blue Harvest items command a bit of money, but these Green Harvest fakes should really be destroyed IMO.

Leif

Reaction score

CloudCity_Gangzr said:
I liken blue harvest to the restrike coins. Pure replication made from production used tools(molds/dies). I liken McCopies to trash.
There's a pretty good chance you can call some of those coin restrikes McCopies or Green Harvest trash too.

Reaction score

Shane Turgeon said:
There's a pretty good chance you can call some of those coin restrikes McCopies or Green Harvest trash too.
You're saying this clown is behind the thicker restrike coins too???

if not, please delete...

Reaction score

The counsel's engrish isn't so good, I'm guessing he's a fob.

Reaction score

lastcentury_net said:
Shane Turgeon said:
You're saying this clown is behind the thicker restrike coins too???

if not, please delete...
I can't say with 100% certainty on it, but from what i gather, there is some convincing speculation that points to it.

Reaction score

This is an argument that always gets sideways due to semantics. Some would say he is responsible for the restrike coins. When in reality, I think what they actually mean is Scott was the first they know of to sell restrike coins. He certainly had nothing to do with the actual production of the coins themselves. As far as I know, the guy that did make the restrikes has never implied that Scott asked him to make coins. I personally find it very hard to believe that Scott asked the creator make him a bunch of reprints of Warok and A-Wing Pilot coins. Another distinction in the coin situation and this is everyone that purchased restrikes from Scott got a refund if they wanted it.

Reaction score

CloudCity_Gangzr said:
Another distinction in the coin situation and this is everyone that purchased restrikes from Scott got a refund if they wanted it.
And several early people to catch on to Scott's game with the "Green Harvest" got refunds too. They were also told to keep quiet about the whole thing. It wasn't until the whole sweater started to unravel that Scott just stopped communicating and stopped issuing refunds on the figure protos.

While it may be a matter of semantics to some, i personally find it to be an incredible coincidence if someone who perpetuated a scam of this magnitude also being the first seller of proven fake coins and wasn't likely complicit in their creation as well.

Reaction score

Brilliant Blog Gus

i really hope all yous guys that have lost funds with this get them back or at least get some justice on this scumbag

Sue Me Anytime you want with a fake letter

cheers

Vince

Reaction score

"These statements have depreciated the value of my client's collection."
....this line makes me laugh. Thanks Gus for the blog.

Reaction score

Shane Turgeon said:
While it may be a matter of semantics to some, i personally find it to be an incredible coincidence if someone who perpetuated a scam of this magnitude also being the first seller of proven fake coins and wasn't likely complicit in their creation as well.
Sure, I know where you're coming from, many share your point of view and based on character its a reasonable assumption. But its an assumption nevertheless. I have reservations about the theory. Mainly, the restriking of cat I and II coins. This is a non collector mistake and one I don't think Scott would have made. Secondly, Scott returned the coins to the source for a refund. If he placed an "order" for coins to be produced, a refund wouldn't be an option, imo. Lastly, the returned coins made it back on to the collectors market. So at very least the source knew the coins were tainted and sold them again. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. I'm just saying it doesn't add up.

Reaction score

CloudCity_Gangzr said:
Secondly, Scott returned the coins to the source for a refund.
CloudCity_Gangzr said:
Lastly, the returned coins made it back on to the collectors market.
Are you certain? I mean given the second statement you made above, are you sure the first statement is accurate? Is there any possibility Scott didn't return the coins, but just resold them instead?

I'm asking out of sincerity since I don't know the situation. But it seems like an obvious ploy to say you returned them for a refund, but instead just resold the fakes. Just asking.

Leif

Reaction score

Leif_G said:
Are you certain? I mean given the second statement you made above, are you sure the first statement is accurate? Is there any possibility Scott didn't return the coins, but just resold them instead?

I'm asking out of sincerity since I don't know the situation. But it seems like an obvious ploy to say you returned them for a refund, but instead just resold the fakes. Just asking.

Leif
No, I cannot say with certainty that they were returned to the source for a refund. So, yes I’m speculating just like everyone else. I will say his story is consistent with what I witnesses in the market at the time. He was selling the coins, then they disappeared abruptly, and then they reappeared abruptly from several different sources. It seems reasonable that if he did keep them to sell, then at least one person would have come forward by now and said they bought a thick coin(s) from Scott. Especially in the wake of the HC scandal. The other possibility is he sold them to someone with full disclosure and they resold them as legitimate pieces. I can’t rule that out, but if that’s how it went down, is Scott to blame?

IMO, a lot of you guys are overlooking the obvious flaw with the Cat I & II coins. No one wants to tackle that one. It’s convenient to do this, as it wraps everything up into a nice tidy package. There's the HC scandal to corroborate a pattern of shady behavior, and hey "if it looks like a rat and smells like a rat". It just doesn’t add up, IMO.

Another thing I’ve observed about Scott is he seems to minces truth with lies. It’s hard to decipher one from the other. It is easy to dismiss everything he says as false, but you would miss out on a lot of truths if you did that. Despite what you (& I) think of him, he really did have great contacts and he’s privy to a wealth of good information. For the record, I am not apologizing for the things he's done. I had a bad experience with him myself. I wasn’t rooked out of any cash, but he strung me along for about six months on a Han HCII and I haven’t spoken with him since. The guys a strange ranger.

I will share his account of the thick coins with the group. Make what you will of it. It’s full of facts, half truths, lies, and inconsistencies. I think this mystery could be solved if the right people would chime in. But, I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you.

Sorry for the scan guys, if you wanta read it start at the bottom and work your way up.

Reaction score

Guys, Philip closed the last thread due to possible legal action. By now posting things about coins and such now this thread seems to go the same way as the last one. This post was meant to be a announcement on the blog. Don't stray to far from it or this thread might also be closed by Philip. Just my €0,02.

-Alex

Reaction score

The grammar is the same, total engrish:p problem. Which leads me to believe the legal counsel is actually scott mcwilliams pretending to be someone else.

Reaction score

Well a simple phone call should be able to establish if they are representing him, or not.
I am assuming the guys involved must have done that already.

Edit.

They have...the Attorney never got back to Philip.