Great Things To Do and Eat in Dallas

Reaction score
I thought a thread might be a good idea about things to do (free things, not so free things, Drive Ins) and great places to eat in Dallas (hole in the wall, historic, food type, known for).

I am coming in on Friday and leaving Monday so any help would be appreciated for me and I am sure others going to Dallas for the first time.

Reaction score
Dallas is a drive to Plano. I would like to no some good places to eat in Plano too. The past two times I just got stuck at the hotel, I'd really like to go out on Saturday night this time.
Good thread!
Also, it would be great if we could all meet at a local bar for some drinks this time.

Reaction score
Plano and the sourrounding areas are rich with places to eat and do and bars and ahh Im allready getting excited to go back to a real city. (Im in the hill country of texas right now) I grew up In the Big D so this is a homecoming mixed with starwars. We should start posting places we find online and share ideas and vote or something. Make the official unofficial after schedule. Mix in the right ammount of events for those with family or under 21 then some for us who can do whatever.

Reaction score
Chris_Luby said:
Plano and the sourrounding areas are rich with places to eat and do and bars and ahh Im allready getting excited to go back to a real city. (Im in the hill country of texas right now) I grew up In the Big D so this is a homecoming mixed with starwars. We should start posting places we find online and share ideas and vote or something. Make the official unofficial after schedule. Mix in the right ammount of events for those with family or under 21 then some for us who can do whatever.
Great idea, we need to have an "official" scummer after party at a local watering hole. What is the best bar in Plano close to the convention hall??

Reaction score
wow. GMTA I was going to post a thread like this today!
I'm finding that DFW is a difficult area to research, or perhaps it's just not really very touristy?

Are there bus/walking tours of the city? Any interesting architecture? (I seem to be really into that, photographically speaking lately) that are either well-known or 'not so well known'.

I'll arrive noon Friday and leave Tuesday afternoon. I know about the historic district, the 6th floor museum and the arboretum but would be interested in knowing about anything else. I'll be on public transit the whole time.

I'm sure there will be info at the airport, but I do like to plan in advance

Reaction score
Dallas it self has some neat historical sites to see I guess JFK related and other. But plano is a good drive down 75 to get to the city. DFW is huge and just all melts together. Plano is less touristy and has many places to go but most are chains. Im not a local anymore so I don't know of any great hole in the way places, anyone still in DFW in this thread?

Reaction score
Well, of course, if there's anything interesting to do in Plano than I'd like to know about that too.
It's just been hard enough to find something about Dallas, I haven't really gotten around to searching about Plano

Figures... I was in LA with hardly any tourist time and Chicago with NONE... this time I make sure to plan tourist time and there's not a lot to do lol

We need a Dallas/Plano area tourist bureau to post in here lol

Reaction score
There is a train line now from Plano into Dallas which could help move you around if needed. Also, for fans of the old TV series Dallas, Southfork ranch or what ever it was called is about 4-5 miles from the Plano center.

-Ben

Reaction score
There's a lot of fun stuff to to in Dallas, the problem is that it's pretty spread out and hard to get around w/o a car.

If you want to hit some shopping there is the Galleria in Dallas and some pretty cool outlet malls in Allen about 5 min from the convention.

The 6th Floor Museum is there with lots of interesting items from the Kennedy Assassination spot which you can see and is real eerie as you can look right up to the window and over the "grassy knoll". That is downtown in Dallas.

Also downtown are some good nightlife areas, Deep Ellum being generally considered the best. Lots of bars and barfood type restaurants.

Not sure when the Mavericks start, but that stadium is great if there's a game--of course the Rangers could be headed to the playoffs, so you might be able to catch some post-season baseball as well.

There's also a great little area that my wife and I always hit, but I can't remember the name of it. It's centered around Chuy's and La Duni Cafe (both of which are great). There's several high end shops for the wife and plenty of good bars/restaurants for the guys.

The art museum downtown is pretty good too, again though, it's a bit of a drive from Plano.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check it out!
I was hoping to catch an NHL game while I was there, but they're on a road trip then sigh. lol

Reaction score
I rented a car for my wife and I so transportation is not a problem for tourist things.

Reaction score
The past two years I have been wanting to take my brother to Medieval Times. Gotta love Cable Guy.

Reaction score
If you go out from the convention center and head west to 75 and then go south (Left turn onto 75)... once you hit Richardson take the Campbell Road exit and go right (west). Right on the corner as you turn onto Campbell is a Potbelly's sandwich place (SW corner next to Starbucks).

Honestly one of the best "fast food" sandwiches you'll ever have. Just outstanding.

There's a Double Tree Hotel in the same parking lot and their rates for that weekend are in the $50-$60 range. I picked their pay-now rate and it was right about $60 with taxes/fees.

But seriously... Potbelly's is outstanding. I get the chicken salad and have them add hot peppers.

If you keep going south on 75 towards downtown Dallas there's great shopping at North Park Mall (visible from the highway and exits are clearly noted). Not a far drive from the Plano area at all. It's upper end shopping, though they do have a cool little toy store (pricey). There's a PF Changs inside the mall along with a great foodcourt (Tin Star I think is the name of a Mexican place in the food court - great nachos).

But there are literally TONS of places along 75 in the Plano area to eat, see a movie, etc. Definitely not a place where you should go and later say there wasn't anything to do or anywhere to eat.

If you're a guy and you don't have family in tow - try Bonedaddy's BBQ in Richardson - great food and great "sights". It's like a Hooters on steroids. There's also a similar place called (seriously) Twin Peaks that's closer to Plano. Food isn't as good as Bonedaddy's.

Reaction score
SoonerSean said:
If you're a guy and you don't have family in tow - try Bonedaddy's BBQ in Richardson - great food and great "sights". It's like a Hooters on steroids. There's also a similar place called (seriously) Twin Peaks that's closer to Plano. Food isn't as good as Bonedaddy's.
I am thinking Rebelscum party at this Bonedaddy place Saturday night.

Anyone in for that?

Reaction score
I think were thinking Buffalo Wild Wings since its good for family and also serves adults drinks.

Reaction score
I live about 10 minutes from the Plano Center and maybe I'm so used to all the places around here, but there's not a lot of unique things to do in Plano. Like someone said it's mostly chains.

Somebody mentioned Potbelly's on Campbell Road, there's actually one a little bit closer to the Plano Center. Get on 75 (most locals call it Central Expwy) head south and take the 15th Street exit -- turn right on 15th street, go to the next light, and turn right into the shopping area; it will be on your right. They really are great sandwiches; if it were a publicly traded company I'd buy stock in it.

Bonedaddy's is about half a mile from my house and has great barbecue. Tell them it's your birthday and they might sit in your lap.
Never been to TwinPeaks, but there's one near the Plano Center.

Downtown is really kind of dead on the weekends, but if you go downtown to eat, you need to go to the Iron Cactus - fantastic tex-mex, and world class margaritas. Trece (pronounced tray-say) is another great tex-mex place and is located in uptown. It's got the best tequila bar in town. You'll have to google directions to both places.

Deep Ellum has kind of lost itself in the past few years. I really wouldn't recommend going down there at night, unless you're in a large crowd and don't mind the chance of getting mugged, your car broken into, or caught in the middle of a rumble.

The lower Greenville area is a great place if you want a hole-in-the-wall bar. If you drive MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PARK ON THE RESIDENTIAL STREETS OR YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED. Lots of college students from SMU go to this area on the weekends.

For touristy stuff, the Sixth Floor museum in downtown is a must visit. I've been there probably 3 or 4 times and every time I learn something new. Supposedly they've made some updates to it recently.

Also, there is Southfork, which will be interesting to fans of DALLAS but the area has been developed and really doesn't look like the show's intro anymore.

Of course, you can make the drive to Arlington and get your picture taken in front of the Death Star, as the new Cowboys Stadium is referred to locally. Expect about an hour drive to get there, and I don't believe there's any public transit that will drop you off near the stadium. For NFL fans, the Cowboys are in town that weekend, playing againt the Atlanta Falcons. You can get a $29 ticket -- it's referred to as a Party Pass -- to the game but it's standing room only and be prepared for $75 parking, $8 beer, $5 hot dogs, etc...

Fort Worth is about another 30 minute drive from Arlington, but has a fun downtown area (much more lively than Dallas).

For shopping, go either to Northpark Mall or Stonebriar Center. To get to Northpark drive south for about 11 miles on 75/Central Expwy from Plano and take the Park exit (be careful there is also a Parker and a Park exit in Plano - do not take these exits as they are nowhere near Northpark). You can either turn on Park and then into the mall, or just stay on the service road and then into the mall. Northpark is upscale shopping, the girls are all hot, the guys are all gay, and it has a LEGO store if anyone is interested. Eat at Luna de Noche while you're there.

Stonebriar Center is in Frisco. It's not as easy to get to, but is a massive mall and also has a LEGO store. The Plano Center is on Spring Creek Pkwy about half a mile east of 75/Central; leaving the Plano Center you can stay on Spring Creek Pkwy and go under the highway and just keep driving west until you get to Preston Road (you'll have to drive through a butt load of lights); take a right on Preston Road and head north until you see the mall on your left. Trust me, you can't miss it. Tons & tons of places to eat around it.

Or you can stay on Spring Creek Pkwy, drive thru the light at Preston, drive past the EDS campus, until you get to the North Dallas Tollway. Take a right and go up to Legacy Drive. On your right will be the Legacy Town Center -- it's a fun little town center where you park your car and there are lots of bars, eateries, a movie theater, pubs, clubs, or whatever, all with in walking distance.

Finally, you can always visit one of the metroplex's 30-40 gentlemen's clubs.

Hope this helps some of you who are travelling here.

I do want to point out that for a major city, the public transit is abysmal. DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) is very limited as to where it can take you. Most places you'll still have a hike from the depot, or a really long bus ride.

Reaction score
Thanks foir that great info! It's really too bad the Con isn't closer into Dallas or FW. Sounds like I'll be spending a lot of time on the bus if I want to do any touristy stuff.

Love to go into Fort Worth, but there's no way I'll have time to do that... sigh. Sometimes not driving is annoying lol

Reaction score
Is the Iron Cactus downtown Plano or Dallas? I love Tex Mex. I ate at a Tex Mex place last time by my hotel at it was great, I can't remember the name of it though.

Right before let's really decide on the Official Hangout for scummers, let's make this happen this time.

Reaction score
Iron Cactus is in downtown Dallas.

Where was your hotel? I might be able to tell you the restaurant.

For good tex-mex in Plano, go to Abuelo's. It's on the northbound service road of 75/Central Expwy between Parker and Spring Creek.

Ed3

Reaction score
DART's Parker Road light rail station is about a mile and a half south of the Plano Centre. From there, you can take the Red Line through Dallas into downtown to see Dealey Plaza and such, connect to the Blue Line to visit the Dallas Zoo, or even connect to the TRE to visit Fort Worth. There's a ton to see and do right on the light rail line (shop, eat, and watch a movie at Mockingbird Station) or any of the couple dozen stations along the way.

http://www.dart.org

Reaction score
I went to Dallas a few years ago and had the best steak of my life at Pappas Bros. Strongly recommend this, especially if you're going with the significant other and want a nice dinner either of the nights there. It's a bit pricey, but oh-so-worth it. The address is: 10477 Lombardy Lane Dallas, TX 75220.

Reaction score
For the locals...

Okay, I've been googling architecture and photography in Dallas and found a lot of places I want to go visit. Most are in the main downtown/arts/historic area and I'm comfortable with that, but a few are just a way from that... I think the area is called Deep Ellum? As a SWF with a camera :p , I'm wondering about the area... is it fairly safe during the day, etc.

I'll be on my own unless there's someone interested in venturing down that way Friday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

Thanks!

Ed3

Reaction score
I feel perfectly safe in Deep Ellum during the day but I'm a fairly large guy, not usually wielding a camera. I'd feel safe sending my girlfriend there during the day but, as with any urban neighborhood, there is some safety in numbers. (At night, the answer is a clear "heck no".)

Reaction score
Ed3 said:
I feel perfectly safe in Deep Ellum during the day but I'm a fairly large guy, not usually wielding a camera. I'd feel safe sending my girlfriend there during the day but, as with any urban neighborhood, there is some safety in numbers. (At night, the answer is a clear "heck no".)
Me and a buddy went to see The Cult last month at the House of Blues in Dallas, and just for grins we took a stroll down memory lane to Deep Ellum. We hung out there just about every weekend when we were kids and the "punk rockers" dominated the scene. Back then is was awesome, we saw bands like the Exploited, Circle Jerks, Blur (before they were big), and the Toadies just to name very few. Good times for sure. Nowadays, not so much. It was like a ghost town, just a couple of tattoo shops and one club remain. But they are working to bring it back from what I hear.

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I totally agree with safety in numbers and don't plan to be out anywhere other than the bus at night... even though it would be awesome to photograph some areas (like the west end marketplace area? and some of the other buildings downtown) at night of course!

Having said that, I'd love some some company if anyone else has free time after the con and wants to traipse around Dallas with me and my camera!
Or some kind of group outing Sunday or Monday night. I'm planning on wandering around the downtown area from pretty early Monday morning until I run out of daylight and Deep Ellum Tuesday morning.

For a city that doesn't seem very touristy, I've found a lot of places I want to visit
Thank you internetz and google street view :p

Reaction score
Anyone in the Dallas area, how has the weather been? Heard warm days very cool/cold nights. This is my first time in Texas so Im not sure what to really pack for clothing.

Reaction score
keep an eye on weather.com. Search under 'Plano, TX' and go to the 10 day forecast later this week. Right now it just goes up to next Wednesday, so give it a few days and you'll get a good idea.

Ed3

Reaction score
It's north Texas so the weather 12 days from now could be... anything. It could be 80 and sunny, it could be 50 and raining, or it could be both in a span of 24 hours. Check the weather as the dates get closer for a better read on the situation but you might want to prepare for multiple possibilities.

Reaction score
Actually that's true all over. I had to be in San Antonio this weekend and I had looked at the weather of Thursday and it was calling for upper seventies and sunny and I got rain and temps fell into the 50s.....I was not prepared.

This is still Texas and should not be "cold".

Reaction score
DarthBobul said:
Anyone in the Dallas area, how has the weather been? Heard warm days very cool/cold nights. This is my first time in Texas so Im not sure what to really pack for clothing.
Depends who you ask. If you're a Texan, they'll tell you that it's freezing at 50 degrees. Right now it's 59 degrees and there are a lot of people complaining that it is too cold.

In my office at work, there is a girl who wears gloves INSIDE the office because it is too "cold"!

You're from NJ, so I wouldn't worry about the cold. I'm from Chicago and I can go most of the Year with just a windbreaker.

Reaction score
50 sounds ok to me. The furnace kicked on yesterday in the house. Fall has arrived here.

Reaction score
If anyone is coming down for the weekend and only going one day to FanDays, and you like cool jets, head over to north Fort Worth.

http://www.allianceairshow.com/

Awesome show and the Blue Angels will be in town this year. They switch every other year with the Thunderbirds.

Reaction score
deathstar1000 said:
DarthBobul said:
Depends who you ask. If you're a Texan, they'll tell you that it's freezing at 50 degrees. Right now it's 59 degrees and there are a lot of people complaining that it is too cold.

In my office at work, there is a girl who wears gloves INSIDE the office because it is too "cold"!

You're from NJ, so I wouldn't worry about the cold. I'm from Chicago and I can go most of the Year with just a windbreaker.
::UPDATE:: 50 degrees sounds even better today. It is currently snowing here in NJ right now. Texas is looking better and better. Only a week and change to go.

Reaction score
Is anyone flying in late and perhaps wants to share a taxi? My flight is getting in at 11:30 and i'd love to split a taxi with someone. I usually take the Supershuttle but they take so long.

Reaction score
Im looking for a nice sit down place to eat for Saturday night in or near Plano. Have car will drive. Any ideas? Kahkis and a button down shirt for attire. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hey DB, I don't know if you have left yet, and I replied to your email, but there are lots of restaurants in the area. Last year we ate at Magic Time Machine (it's not nearby but it's fun, character waitstaff, great crutons), Abuelo's for Mexican, Spaghetti Factory, Olive Garden... but here's a link to restaurants in the area.
Restaurants In the email, I also gave you my cell and work # just in case you need something.
Have fun!