Grand Moff Tarkin - Retro Figure

Reaction score
Ok, we here in Germany will get a GERMAN Version in August. If anyone is interested in the variation please contact me via PM.

Reaction score
I opened up my Tarkin figure (mainly because I tried removing the Retro sticker and tore the front of the card) and noticed that his blaster fits very loosely in his hand. However, when I replace it with a real vintage Stormtrooper blaster, it fits much more snug and doesn't constantly try to fall out of his hand. So I wonder if part of the problem with the accessories of these Retro figures is Hasbro is making them slightly too small?

Although, when I put Tarkin's blaster in my vintage Stormtrooper's hand, it fits just fine and doesn't fall out. So, clearly Hasbro still botched the design of the Retro figures' hands (something that Kenner was able to get right on on the first try, 42 years ago, so clearly Hasbro is devolving in the realm of basic competence); but I wonder if the Retro Han Solo would do a better job of holding onto an authentic vintage Han Solo blaster? I don't have a vintage or a Retro Han Solo, so I can't test this out.

Reaction score
I opened up my Tarkin figure (mainly because I tried removing the Retro sticker and tore the front of the card) and noticed that his blaster fits very loosely in his hand. However, when I replace it with a real vintage Stormtrooper blaster, it fits much more snug and doesn't constantly try to fall out of his hand. So I wonder if part of the problem with the accessories of these Retro figures is Hasbro is making them slightly too small?

Although, when I put Tarkin's blaster in my vintage Stormtrooper's hand, it fits just fine and doesn't fall out. So, clearly Hasbro still botched the design of the Retro figures' hands (something that Kenner was able to get right on on the first try, 42 years ago, so clearly Hasbro is devolving in the realm of basic competence); but I wonder if the Retro Han Solo would do a better job of holding onto an authentic vintage Han Solo blaster? I don't have a vintage or a Retro Han Solo, so I can't test this out.
After reading this, I tried your theory. Negative. The Retro Han Solo figure won't even hold a Vintage blaster. It's got something to do with the thumb being just a little too small, and does not wrap around the back side of the blaster. It could just be my specific figure though.

Reaction score
After reading this, I tried your theory. Negative. The Retro Han Solo figure won't even hold a Vintage blaster. It's got something to do with the thumb being just a little too small, and does not wrap around the back side of the blaster. It could just be my specific figure though.
Nope not an isolated incident i have 2 open Hans and the only way for him to hild it is at the hip.

Reaction score

From what I have heard it was done intentionally. One reviewer even speculated that it was done as a way of protecting vintage collectors from dishonest sellers. I mean, yes, I know there are those who can differentiate these from the originals. But we also have those who buy beaters as a means to guarantee that their loose collection is 100% authentic. So my guess is that none will have the same level of grip as the originals had. And that "Retro Collection" Han might not hold a vintage since another said that there appears to be no real difference between both the original and the "Retro" guns.

Reaction score
From what I have heard it was done intentionally. One reviewer even speculated that it was done as a way of protecting vintage collectors from dishonest sellers. I mean, yes, I know there are those who can differentiate these from the originals. But we also have those who buy beaters as a means to guarantee that their loose collection is 100% authentic. So my guess is that none will have the same level of grip as the originals had. And that "Retro Collection" Han might not hold a vintage since another said that there appears to be no real difference between both the original and the "Retro" guns.
There are differences, but they are subtle. The plastic is just a bit softer for the Retro figures. The guns all have just a bit of flex to them. You can bend them slightly and they don't show any stress marks or break. I'm sure with enough force they will. Vintage Kenner weapons do not flex. They bend and show white stress marks, or just outright break. These weapons are all black. The vintage weapons were many different shades of greenish blue to blue to darker blue. ONLY the original Kenner Endor Han had a solid black blaster. Same goes for the Stormtrooper blasters, and Chewbacca's bowcaster. None of those were cast in solid black with exception of Luke Stormtrooper and a couple of the Droids figures.

Reaction score
There are differences, but they are subtle. The plastic is just a bit softer for the Retro figures. The guns all have just a bit of flex to them. You can bend them slightly and they don't show any stress marks or break. I'm sure with enough force they will. Vintage Kenner weapons do not flex. They bend and show white stress marks, or just outright break. These weapons are all black. The vintage weapons were many different shades of greenish blue to blue to darker blue. ONLY the original Kenner Endor Han had a solid black blaster. Same goes for the Stormtrooper blasters, and Chewbacca's bowcaster. None of those were cast in solid black with exception of Luke Stormtrooper and a couple of the Droids figures.
Quite honestly I have not touched a single vintage weapon since the PotF days. So that is a good thing to know. d=(^_^ ) <(( Japanese pre-emoji era thumbs up!! ))

Plus I also should have added is that the "Retro" Chewbacca has shorter legs than the original. Plus he also does not have that "excited" look in his eyes. And the way "Retro" Luke was painted is different compared to the original.

Reaction score
well We all know Tarkin never was release in the vintage line. I actually wanted him since he had a big presence in the film. It’s amazing we got characters that were only in a scene for a few seconds that got a figure. Though some that had more screen time never did. Beru and Owen come it mind.

Reaction score
well We all know Tarkin never was release in the vintage line. I actually wanted him since he had a big presence in the film. It’s amazing we got characters that were only in a scene for a few seconds that got a figure. Though some that had more screen time never did. Beru and Owen come it mind.
I found out that Hasbro did eventually make a Beru figure. It was at the "flashback" end of their POTF2 stuff. Around 1999. She comes with a Treadwell Service Droid and some blue milk.

EDIT: I also found out that Owen was made twice. Once in 1997 and a second time in 2010.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It’s nice to see the game on the shelf and actually available in person. If the Grand Moffs were just cardbacks on a peg instead I can’t help but think they’d be long gone.

I like Tarkin but I wish the sculpt was slightly more advanced. They probably intentionally made him to look like he landed with everyone else in 1978 instead of a later 1985 POTF addition.

Reaction score
I think a number of collectors are waiting on Tarkin, because they're now warming shelves in some areas, and they're due for a wider release this Fall. I imagine there will be a significant clearance by the end of the year. If anyone is into making custom Kenner Imperial officers - you'll have your chance! There are rumors they might do another game / figure combo, but I'm hoping its not the case - just release the figures - I have no interest in all that extra cardboard.

Reaction score
I think a number of collectors are waiting on Tarkin, because they're now warming shelves in some areas, and they're due for a wider release this Fall. I imagine there will be a significant clearance by the end of the year. If anyone is into making custom Kenner Imperial officers - you'll have your chance! There are rumors they might do another game / figure combo, but I'm hoping its not the case - just release the figures - I have no interest in all that extra cardboard.
Hmm... interesting. 'Battle At The Sarlacc Pit' game with Princess Leia (Jabba's Prisoner) release?

Reaction score
^ but didn't Disney put the axe to any future slave leia items? Maybe jabba palace ishi tib or human skiff guard. For ESB..yoda, jedi master game w/ dagobah training Luke

Reaction score
^ but didn't Disney put the axe to any future slave leia items? Maybe jabba palace ishi tib or human skiff guard. For ESB..yoda, jedi master game w/ dagobah training Luke
I think I remember some furore over that. It's a shame, a glaring omission in the original run.

Reaction score
No. At least not that I am aware. They are simply talking about a name change. Instead of "Slave Leia" it will probably be called Jabba's prisoner or something along those lines.

Reaction score
I’m sorry but that Wonder Woman looks horrid. Back on topic though. I did wish that Tarkin should have been packed with some better then a board game. I would have preferred the Palitoy Deathstar the reason is back a few years ago Hasbro rereleased the Cobra missile Command Headquarters that came out in 1982 as a Sears exclusive for SDCC. Even came with the 3 figures the original playset came with( Cobra Commander, officer and Soldier). It was a really good representation.

^ in that case "Leia (Jabba's Palace)" should be the most PC name LOL

if mego had the right to SW figs, I would imagine the "outfit" would been silk-screened ala their 8" Wonder Woman "outfit https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/product/variationdetails/90473?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=43841

Last edited:
Reaction score
This Tarkin figure is REALLY amazing. If you didn’t know better, you would just assume Kenner had made a figure you forgot about or one you simply never owned.

As pack ins go, I don’t hate the Escape From The Deathstar game. Although I owned it as a child and have zero recollection of playing it much — which is NOT a good sign. My family LOVED games... ;).

Going forward, My FANTASY must buy to get a figure (when the retro line continues) would be a retro collectors carry case. You know... The vinyl kind with the trays and what not. Or that groovy plastic display stand they made in 1978. I think both of those would be well received.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tarkin with the OG kenner Death Star would have been amazing. That said,the game is cool in a nostalgic way and way more affordable.

Reaction score
IÂ’m sorry but that Wonder Woman looks horrid. Back on topic though. I did wish that Tarkin should have been packed with some better then a board game. I would have preferred the Palitoy Deathstar the reason is back a few years ago Hasbro rereleased the Cobra missile Command Headquarters that came out in 1982 as a Sears exclusive for SDCC. Even came with the 3 figures the original playset came with( Cobra Commander, officer and Soldier). It was a really good representation.
yeah I do agree about the mego WW. I guess they did it that way to avoid any "wardrobe malfunctions" while the intended, or assumed, male child was playing w/ it--(lack of better terms here, lol) Catwoman, and Tarzan megos was the same way. Green Arrow too but that I assumed was done to utilize the alternate glove designs to allow him to hold his bow. Yet Isis' outfit was not silkscreened. I wish Captain America was done in a similar way as Green Arrow and Green Goblin in regards to sleeves and gloves vs the Batman/Robin/Aquaman oven mitten gloves. Anywoo...Tarkin looks great, I still have not opened my game to remove Tarkin yet (been 3 months) but then again, I haven't open any TVC all this year except Jabba's palace set. I need to start opening them to display. I just been too lazy...no really, was too busy w/ going back to grad school. and work to take the time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This was never an exclusive in the first place. Despite Hasbro saying wave 1 retros are returning as fan channel only, ive had them bookmarked on Target.com and they are still listed as merely out of stock. While Han Stormtrooper is marked as no longer available... So maybe the stores that are now hetting the game have a shot at retros?

Reaction score
This guy would sell better at 15.99 without the game.

The game is a waste. The box could have contained Tarkin with the Palitoy Death Star playset. It’s just some sturdyish flat cardboard and small plastic extras but wow this would have become a legendary set to have.