Grand Moff Tarkin - Retro Figure

Reaction score
For those of you getting them at Target - are you having an employee look up the DCPI or using the machines in the aisles? So far all are showing N/A in the machines, but I haven't asked an employee.

Reaction score
Same here. Mine was a Saturday evening, no one in toys and only one employee in electronics. So I just wandered around until I found someone with the retail tool belt of scanners and such on. He looked it up, radio'd out back and had two brought out to meet me. I gave everyone a round of thumbs up.

Thought about trying for the individual retro figures as well as I was betting they were out back somewhere as well, but decided not to bother. I doubt my target is 'the one' where they aren't register locked. ;)

Don't know if it matters, but I asked if they could look up a 'board game' for me, not a Star Wars figure/collectible/whatever. FWIW.

Reaction score
For those of you getting them at Target - are you having an employee look up the DCPI or using the machines in the aisles? So far all are showing N/A in the machines, but I haven't asked an employee.
I called the store w/ DCPI to confirm it was in stock. They offered to hold it at the desk for me.

Reaction score
Got him today thanks to a helpful employee! I tried to also get the others but he said I'd have to come back in a few weeks. He looks a lot better in person.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What I find interesting about the DPCI on these is that each individual figure seems to have its own and that's the only way to find them on Brickseek. However, I've also read that this single DPCI is what appears on the receipt - 087-16-8221.

As far as pricing, I think they're $9.99 each at Target. The board game with GMT is $19.99.

Ugh.. my bad. I thought I was in the thread for Wave 1 Retro Collection. The DPCI for the board game with GMT is 087-10-0431.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What I find interesting about the DPCI on these is that each individual figure seems to have its own and that's the only way to find them on Brickseek. However, I've also read that this single DPCI is what appears on the receipt - 087-16-8221.

As far as pricing, I think they're $9.99 each at Target. The board game with GMT is $19.99.
thanks...………………...

Reaction score
I got mine today. I checked the DCPI on the store machine and it came up N/A as well. There were several employees around and a fella named Nick was great and offered to look it up for me. He came back with a full case and handed me one. Funnily enough, the stock cart he was working with in the aisle had 3 cases of the retro figures.

Reaction score
Hoping Target has plenty of stock of these. I have two. I'd like to grab a couple more Tarkin's for display with my Death Star and Star Destroyer. Hoping for a 25%+ coupon , I may bite. Don't know what to do with the games though, I guess Goodwill or a school donation.

Though they may complain there's no Tarkin. "We don't want your Tarkin stumps" lol

Tried to post a clip of seinfeld muffin stumps, no go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hoping Target has plenty of stock of these. I have two. I'd like to grab a couple more Tarkin's for display with my Death Star and Star Destroyer. Hoping for a 25%+ coupon , I may bite. Don't know what to do with the games though, I guess Goodwill or a school donation.

Though they may complain there's no Tarkin. "We don't want your Tarkin stumps" lol

Tried to post a clip of seinfeld muffin stumps, no go.
The Goodwills and landfills are going to be flooded with those games lol

Reaction score
The Goodwills and landfills are going to be flooded with those games lol
Just for the heck of it I listed and sold a Tarkinless game last week. After shipping, the profit was about $4 lol. I guess there are some takers out there. I have the original game and plan on keeping one new edition of it.

Reaction score
Had to order this from Target.com. Could never find in store even though website said there were 3 available in aisle 42.

Reaction score
Saw a lone Tarkin in the game section of Target. Kind of a neat figure, but vintage style is not my thing, so I passed. I gotta draw the line somewhere. LOL!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Has anyone tried taking Tarkin's head off ? I'm wondering if it has a post like the ESB Imperial Commander. Would love to be able to do some head swaps.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried taking Tarkin's head off ? I'm wondering if it has a post like the ESB Imperial Commander. Would love to be able to do some head swaps.
It looks to me like the first 21 style mold not a post.

Reaction score
Spotted at my local Target, figure looks so small...very nice retro sculpt

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love this figure and the game is a nice replica too (never had one growing up). Target shipped it in mint condition with lots of air packs. I hope Hasbro continues these vintage style unreleased figures. And I dont mind if they pack them with different replica vintage toys like this. Or a multipack type release. Rebel Fleet Trooper, Death Star Trooper, Sandtrooper, Owen and Beru, Han Stormtrooper, Cantina aliens (done in similar wild color outfits as if they hadnt seen the movie or full reference photos other than the heads), Bith band, possibilities are plentiful...

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Tarkin is a recast from an Imperial Commander torso or if he was a ground up build? The torso looks nearly identical. The arms and legs are close as well, but not as close as the torso. Just wondering because he looks kind of kit bashed, other than the head. Not hating or snubbing, I think he's a great figure.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Tarkin is a recast from an Imperial Commander torso or if he was a ground up build? The torso looks nearly identical. The arms and legs are close as well, but not as close as the torso. Just wondering because he looks kind of kit bashed, other than the head. Not hating or snubbing, I think he's a great figure.
It's a new sculpt. Tarkin has more rank insignia and code cylinders on his tunic, and no circle on his belt buckle. Some of the wrinkles near the waist are different as well. It's possible they used the Imperial Commander figure as a starting point, though.

Reaction score
It just doesn’t look like a vintage figure to me. Kenner humans don’t have necks. It lacks the nostalgia factor for me, because it just looks too modern. I’m gonna have to pass.

Reaction score
It just doesn’t look like a vintage figure to me. Kenner humans don’t have necks. It lacks the nostalgia factor for me, because it just looks too modern. I’m gonna have to pass.
Its actually a lot better looking in person...I think the sculpt is fantastic!

Reaction score
Oh what is this on a vintage Kenner Imperial Commander, could that be a neck ? maybe it's just excess plastic the factory forgot to trim off.

Reaction score
It’s not a later figure. It’s a fig from a ‘77 movie. It looks fake to me.

Reaction score
In that case, it probably would’ve looked just like that then. Those later fig sculpts had advanced a lot, and sported way more sophisticated looks. But I think of Tarkin as a ‘77 guy—neckless.

However, now that I think about it, Anakin’s Ghost was a human from ‘85, and he didn’t have a neck. Barada was from ‘85, and he doesn’t. None of the mains ever do, as far as I can remember. But sculpts definitely were better then, so I guess it would’ve been possible. Even so, it looks off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the only reason it looks a bit off, is because he almost has a smile on his face. I don't know if they were trying to capture Cushing's smirk, or what, but I think a little more of a generic expression on his face would make this even better.

Reaction score
I think the only reason it looks a bit off, is because he almost has a smile on his face. I don't know if they were trying to capture Cushing's smirk, or what, but I think a little more of a generic expression on his face would make this even better.
It's symbolic of this sub line putting a smile on collectors' faces.

Reaction score
I do agree that Tarkin looks more like something that would have come out in 1984 or 1985, instead of 1978, but I still think it's a great figure. Trying to recapture that "vintage look" is not easy (look at how hit and miss the ReAction line has been). It's basically like trying to mimic another artist's style. So, taking that into consideration, I think Hasbro did a really good job.

Reaction score
Overall, I agree. I’m glad that they are still trying to make 3.75” figures.

Reaction score
I got an email notice that board games are Buy 2 get 1 Free at Target. Not sure if it would work on this game, but worth a try if you wanted extra Tarkins.

Reaction score
Of the 5 Targets that I have scoured I have yet to see the board game or the 3.75 Han in Stormtrooper. I did see the 6 inch Luke in Stormtrooper in a few of them but I don't collect that size.

Reaction score
Its the opposite. I have seen the game/Tarkin, the trash compactor Luke and the Stormtrooper Solo. The only figures I have only seen one time were the Retro figures. One one shipment at 2 stores then boom gone.

Of the 5 Targets that I have scoured I have yet to see the board game or the 3.75 Han in Stormtrooper. I did see the 6 inch Luke in Stormtrooper in a few of them but I don't collect that size.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are likely still available online at Target's website or app.