Grand Moff Tarkin - Retro Figure

Reaction score
They do look slightly off, but Hasbro employees said they are printed on...so I doubt they're wrong about their own products. They're also specifically making the cards and figures different enough, so as not to be confused with vintage Kenner.
I love the concept and overall execution save for the "stickers". They appear to be the same size as the special offer stickers on the true vintage figures. I'm considering scanning a couple of them from old cardbacks and placing them over these. It would at least be more aesthetically pleasing.

Dax

Reaction score
The only thing I'm not liking here is the board game. It's not a deal breaker, but for me personally I've always found the game to be very 'meh'. Personally I think they should have released Tarkin with the Palitoy cardboard Death Star playset. That would have been frickin amazing! I guess that would have been much more expensive though and the boardgame is going to be much cheaper in comparison.

Reaction score
The only thing I'm not liking here is the board game. It's not a deal breaker, but for me personally I've always found the game to be very 'meh'. Personally I think they should have released Tarkin with the Palitoy cardboard Death Star playset. That would have been frickin amazing! I guess that would have been much more expensive though and the boardgame is going to be much cheaper in comparison.
It is a shame that we must buy that board game to get the Tarkin. I suspect there will be a lot of them up on eBay without the Tarkin. I had the game back in the day and never really cared for it. The ROTJ game was a lot more fun.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I actually thought the same thing. That would be amazing - and a better fit for Tarkin.

Reaction score
so one question. we all know Tarkin is infamously i think one of two vintage figures that was supposedly all ready to go but then never released. yet i dont believe i have EVER seen pictures of that Tarkin and so i have no idea what he looked like. is this suppose to be the actual unreleased vintage Tarkin or just a new vintage style bs that someone sculpted?
As I've never seen photos of the Kenner prototype Tarkin or whatever it was; I can't say with absolute certainty; but I feel that, as un-Kenner as this figure feels; it has to be a brand new, modern sculpt. Neck is weird, details too sharp, hair too textured. Too much detail for Kenner.

Reaction score
I wished it was the Destroy the Death Star game rather than the Escape from the Death Star game. I used to have the Destroy one. I liked playing with the little plastic x-wings. :)

Reaction score
As I've never seen photos of the Kenner prototype Tarkin or whatever it was; I can't say with absolute certainty; but I feel that, as un-Kenner as this figure feels; it has to be a brand new, modern sculpt. Neck is weird, details too sharp, hair too textured. Too much detail for Kenner.
I think the prototype that people thought they saw for Tarkin was actually a custom figure. I don't believe images of Tarkin were ever released. They did show off the Yarna / Gargan, "Luke in Jedi Robes", rocket-firing Fett, and Droids & Ewoks unreleased figures, etc - but never if I recall correctly a Tarkin. Like the rest of the retro line, he is a new sculpt - the old Kenner molds have been destroyed and sold in many cases - I believe Hasbro confirmed many years ago that they are no longer in their "catalog" of molds and tooling.

Reaction score
It is a shame that we must buy that board game to get the Tarkin. I suspect there will be a lot of them up on eBay without the Tarkin. I had the game back in the day and never really cared for it. The ROTJ game was a lot more fun.
The game and Tarkin SRP is $19.99, it honestly wouldn’t be worth it to try and get maybe $5 for it on eBay. I will probably just keep the game or donate it to goodwill.

Reaction score
I think the prototype that people thought they saw for Tarkin was actually a custom figure. I don't believe images of Tarkin were ever released. They did show off the Yarna / Gargan, "Luke in Jedi Robes", rocket-firing Fett, and Droids & Ewoks unreleased figures, etc - but never if I recall correctly a Tarkin. Like the rest of the retro line, he is a new sculpt - the old Kenner molds have been destroyed and sold in many cases - I believe Hasbro confirmed many years ago that they are no longer in their "catalog" of molds and tooling.
I think, like the bantha, that the Tarkin figure was a placeholder photo on Kenner paperwork .. the bantha I think was a colour drawing .. but I don't recall ever seeing a mock up for him ..

Reaction score

or people swapping out Tarkin because they feel like they're being taken for a ride by hasbro with this one. wow, what an awesome idea the palatoy DS would've been. Prob. cheaper to produce, triple the sales. So many people love that thing but can't afford it. Granted it's a repro, wouldn't bother me one bit, i just want a cool place to display my loose collection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wpuld would not be surprised if the Palitoy Deathstar ends up being a SDCC exclusive. I remember Hasbro do the GI Joe missile HQ for Comic Con back in 2017. That was a sears exclusive back in 83. Which today goes for insane amount of money on eBay.

or people swapping out Tarkin because they feel like they're being taken for a ride by hasbro with this one. wow, what an awesome idea the palatoy DS would've been. Prob. cheaper to produce, triple the sales. So many people love that thing but can't afford it. Granted it's a repro, wouldn't bother me one bit, i just want a cool place to display my loose collection.

Reaction score
I can confirm that the cartoon fart is indeed a sticker.

And with the sticker cleanly removed, it looks good. The Grand Moff might have just won me over on buying his retro friends and enemies.

Reaction score
At TF, someone from Hasbro said the sticker was printed on, and then at Celebration the same person said its removable, lol - glad its removable - that factor will likely lead to more overall sales, giving the line a boost that will lead to future releases. Considering this is out at some locations, I'm surprised no one has taken comparison photos with Kenner figures.

Reaction score
I can confirm that the cartoon fart is indeed a sticker.

And with the sticker cleanly removed, it looks good. The Grand Moff might have just won me over on buying his retro friends and enemies.
now what if only tarkin card has the sticker and the other 6 singles are not a sticker :grin:

Does target have this in there board game section or the star wars section.
so far...the back room https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=family+guy+bed+bath+beyond&view=detail&mid=4D0F9F18494DE9373FA04D0F9F18494DE9373FA0&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got the DPCI for this and called up my local Target. They had 6 in the back so I had them pull one for me and went and grabbed it. Here's the DPCI for those that want to give it a shot: [FONT=&quot]DPCI# 087-10-0431

Make sure and call your Target because I tried it on Brickseek and they showed nothing
.[/FONT]

Reaction score
I rarely feel comfortable asking employees to look for stuff. Giving them a DPCI number would probably give me a panic attack.

Reaction score
Not only all of that but Tarkin is actually a natural pack in for a Deathstar, could have been the Palitioy ( Same as printing a board game) or my preference, the Vintage Kenner plastic Death Star.

I hate to say this in public in case the DO rerelease the Death Star.. But have been mightily motivated buy the people n youtube who create entire hemispherical Death Star play sets by putting 9 of the originals together to create an entire circle. Now I am not looking to do that ( you can even reach into it..its closed off) BUT I would LOVE to get three o four and make a side to play in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Palitoy DS would have been a better choice, but I'm not sure it would have been cheaper to produce. By the looks of the vintage game, it was likely dirt cheap to reproduce, unless they made upgrades to the pieces / parts. I just have doubts that there is actual interest in the game, which may cause Tarkin to linger on shelves. I think they should have made him exclusive, just like the others, but with the track record of most retailer exclusives, they end up being overproduced and eventually hit clearance.

Perhaps if they release the Imperial Dignitary figure, there will be another opportunity for the Palitoy DS...

Reaction score
I agree this guy would have made a perfect Palitoy Death Star pack-in. The price on the board game isn’t terrible but who Is really playing. Wasted opportunity? Maybe they were afraid to go DS right out of the gate with this Retro line, but I would have loved it.

Sticker removed, now all I see is Luke’s cropped saber under that digital required by law to be there warning label that doesn’t come off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I picked this up last night at a local Target. An employee got one out of the back room for me.

Reaction score
I can't find anyone selling these on-line even for preorders. Am I missing something or is this a Target exclusive as well?

Reaction score
My understanding was the RETRO line was Target exclusive, in the states at least. An employee at my local store explained that there is flag in their system that can prevent the sale of certain products until after the already-set hold date. He was nice enough to retrieve one from the back and was surprised that he could ring one up for me. I purchased but he said they wouldn’t even have a place for them on the shelf until May 5th. In another thread, a scummed heard the 15th. Either way, my guess would be the same hold exists online.

Reaction score
I went ahead and tried calling my local Target with the DCPI #. After switching me to toy department, she said they were in back room stock and would take them to front desk to hold for me. I told her I wanted three games. I quickly left to pick them up in case a manager put a stop to it. They had them waiting for me by the time I got there. I already sold one on ebay today, so that offset my costs for the two I am keeping, one I am opening, one staying sealed. The one I opened did have an imprint on the card from the way it is packaged in box. I really love this Tarkin for my vintage collection. My guess is there will be plenty available soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can see the imprint on card near the middle. There is a large cardboard sleeve that holds the figure in place, I suppose that did the damage.

Reaction score
Looks like the same deal as many random Target exclusives that have Self-imposed street dates. They wont even show up on brickseek until the street date. At least this time they let you buy it before the date (unlike the Vandor playset).

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think the Palitoy Death Star was trademarked to Palitoy not Kenner. Therefore, don’t think Hasbro has the rights to it. Yeah they have the SW license, but they don’t own the rights likely to Palitoy designed stuff (unless they bought Palitoy). Palitoy can’t produce it, but neither can Hasbro unless they bought the rights.

*EDIT* Just read that Hasbro indeed owns Palitoy...so it could be done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have found that the best way to remove the sticker is to lay some lighter fluid across the top and let it soak in for about ten minutes. It comes right off with little to no residue clean up after that.

My older best method (heat gun) did not work at all. These have some damn strong adhesive.

Seriously, they REALLY need to clean these cards up. With the sticker the lame, fake aging and all the warnings is killing the look of these cards.

Don't even get me started on all the tri-lingual nonsense.

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have found that the best way to remove the sticker is to lay some lighter fluid across the top and let it soak in for about ten minutes. It comes right off with little to no residue clean up after that.

My older best method (heat gun) did not work at all. These have some damn strong adhesive.

Seriously, they REALLY need to clean these cards up. With the sticker the lame, fake aging and all the warnings is killing the look of these cards.

Don't even get me started on all the tri-lingual nonsense.

:rolleyes:
So the "Retro" sticker is removable and not actually printed on the cardback?

Reaction score
So the "Retro" sticker is removable and not actually printed on the cardback?
That is correct.

I only did one one for me and another for my friend. I was able to do no harm card side and save the stickers without any chemicals. It is a delicate process, use the lighter fluid if in doubt.

Reaction score
Does anybody know where we will be able to find this game and Tarkin figure in Europe?
Specialty shops and online are your only bets. There hasn't been a single Hasbro SW product since TLJ wave 1 in Dutch stores.

Reaction score
Specialty shops and online are your only bets. There hasn't been a single Hasbro SW product since TLJ wave 1 in Dutch stores.
Thanks for the reply, i have already given up hope on Dutch retail stores but it looks like Star Action Figures from the UK will be selling them when they come out.

Reaction score
Looks like the same deal as many random Target exclusives that have Self-imposed street dates. They wont even show up on brickseek until the street date. At least this time they let you buy it before the date (unlike the Vandor playset).
I was able to pick one up this weekend. I had no trouble checking out either. A buddy of mine this morning got 2 of the sets as well.

Last edited: