Grand Moff Tarkin - Retro Figure

GNT

Reaction score
Looks like Hasbro will be releasing Grand Modf Tarkin in the Retro packaging. Thoughts on this release?

Reaction score
I love that he’s being released on his own card inside the game packaging, and not just included as a loose pack-in Figure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Without a doubt.

Although I've read conflicting reports as to how this line will scale with the actual vintage line (c.f. TVC).

More than likely I'll be in for the whole line as I couldn't go passed the thought of those figures all minty. They'll all be coming off cards though. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Shouldn't these retro figures have their own subsection?

They arent TVC, they arent modern figures. This doesnt seem to be the place for them.

GNT

Reaction score
Shouldn't these retro figures have their own subsection?

They arent TVC, they arent modern figures. This doesnt seem to be the place for them.
Lol the figures only just announced within the last 24hours, sub sections don't happen within seconds of picture s being revealed.

Reaction score
Solo never got a subsection either, and it’s been a bit longer than seconds.

Reaction score
Lol the figures only just announced within the last 24hours, sub sections don't happen within seconds of picture s being revealed.
I mean, you're a mod, is that not in your ability to do this? Or do only specific mods have those permissions?

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Only Admin can start actual forum sections, mods can do all the threads and all other stuff. If I could I would so I'll have to pass it onto the higher ups to start. Again it's not an instant thing.

As for the figure, this makes up for not having a real vintage Tarkin :)

Reaction score
I actually have the original Escape the Deathstar game still sealed. I love the card back for Tarkin.

Reaction score
Looking forward to Tarkin, always wanted one back in the day and very happy we'll finally be getting an old school Kenner version. Good job Hasbro! Now do a Sandtrooper and Rebel Fleet Trooper!

Reaction score
I'll be buying this, but for some reason he looks a little off to me, but still cool.

Reaction score
Eh always something slightly weird about attempts to recreate the Kenner look. I have the same issues with Super 7 ReAction figures. They're admirable attempts, but not quite on the mark. Kenner had very limited reference photos and had to use their imaginations. You just can't authentically recreate that in the modern age. It'll always look slightly off. It's like buying a Fender Strat that was made last year, but they purposely made the paint worn to replicate travel wear.

Reaction score
This will be the only one of these that I will get...unless they make other "never before released" retro figures. I have the real versions of all of the others, so I don't feel the need to buy them, plus...big head Han? C'mon Hasbro! I'd maybe consider buying a set to keep carded if they didn't have that huge "retro collection" logo over the image.

Reaction score
Plus, I just think it's awesome that he comes in the Escape from the Death Star board game. Every time I think of that game I think of "Grand Moff Tarkin, spin again"

Reaction score
I saw he came with the game. I always wanted that too. Giant win all around.

Reaction score
Sometimes, they never happen! (cough, cough "Solo", "Resistance")

GNT

Reaction score
Sometimes, they never happen! (cough, cough "Solo", "Resistance")
Yes those sections never happened but both lines were pretty small, if Resistance grows I'll push for a seperate section. At least the current section has all the 5POA discussion in one place so the section could just be simply renamed as the 5POA figures section perhaps.

Reaction score
Yeah, Solo was a great film IMO, and it just doesn't get the love it deserves.

Reaction score
This GMT retro figure looks sub-par; very similar to what I'd expect a bootleg to look like. I know that's intentional, but I have 0 interest in this. I guess that means there will be more to go around for those that do want this - LOL.

The POTF2 1997 figure was far superior in both appearance & sculpt, and that's a 22 year old figure at this point.

Reaction score
I want the Tarkin figure. I am not that thrilled with having to buy the game though. Maybe I can sell it and keep Tarkin.

Reaction score
This is probably THE single most popular character that vintage Kenner collectors have been asking for, so in that regard, Hasbro knocked it out of the park slating this release. Not sure if its something that interests me yet, but I'm glad it exists now. Releasing it with a game is an interesting choice, the pricepoint will really determine whether it becomes a "wait until clearance" item though.

Reaction score
Yes those sections never happened but both lines were pretty small, if Resistance grows I'll push for a seperate section. At least the current section has all the 5POA discussion in one place so the section could just be simply renamed as the 5POA figures section perhaps.
Come on, brother. The "Solo" line was not "pretty small", it was huge, easily on par with TLJ and R1.

There are plenty of options here (still are) for a way to make the forums make more sense.

Make a combined "Force Link" forum. Or a "Spinoff Movie" forum.

I agree "Resistance" is currently too small to rate, but you could make an "Animation" forum and combine it with the other animated shows.

Just throwing that out there. Because having Solo (and even Resistance) inexplicably part of "Last Jedi" is just weird.

Reaction score
I wonder if the figure will come with a come with a scratch n' sniff sticker on its back emitting a foul stench? ;)

I already bought a spare vintage Imperial Officer and POTFII Tarkin to customize into a vintage Grand Moff, so I don't know if I'll buy this one.

Reaction score
I'll be buying this, but for some reason he looks a little off to me, but still cool.
I am going to remove Tarkin from the box and of course leave him carded. I will keep the board game though. I did the same thing with the 40th Vader. I took him out of the box with the stand and left him on the card back.

Reaction score
I'm a customizer and created my own Tarkin which has been a nice fill-in. I will be happy to replace him with this "official" version of him now though. Never played or owned that game so I will most likely keep it and add it to board game collection.

Reaction score
I'd maybe consider buying a set to keep carded if they didn't have that huge "retro collection" logo over the image.
A million times this. I'm surprised there hasn't been more complaints about this, seeing as one of the biggest selling points would be to have a cheaper alternative to display a vintage carded set. But that horrid red dot right on the photo ruins the entire appeal of collecting them MOC.

Reaction score
A million times this. I'm surprised there hasn't been more complaints about this, seeing as one of the biggest selling points would be to have a cheaper alternative to display a vintage carded set. But that horrid red dot right on the photo ruins the entire appeal of collecting them MOC.
I think it's because most collectors assume it's a sticker that can be easily peeled off. Going to be a lot of whining once they are in hand.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lot of whining for sure. Will make it a lot harder for opportunists to pull off scams out of this line in the future though.

Reaction score
so one question. we all know Tarkin is infamously i think one of two vintage figures that was supposedly all ready to go but then never released. yet i dont believe i have EVER seen pictures of that Tarkin and so i have no idea what he looked like. is this suppose to be the actual unreleased vintage Tarkin or just a new vintage style bs that someone sculpted?

Reaction score
Eh always something slightly weird about attempts to recreate the Kenner look. I have the same issues with Super 7 ReAction figures. They're admirable attempts, but not quite on the mark. Kenner had very limited reference photos and had to use their imaginations. You just can't authentically recreate that in the modern age. It'll always look slightly off.
I agree 100%, but I think this one looks better than any of the modern retro figures out there.

Looks pretty aesthetically legit to me.

That said, let's see what the final release looks like AFTER the manufacturing process.

Reaction score
so one question. we all know Tarkin is infamously i think one of two vintage figures that was supposedly all ready to go but then never released. yet i dont believe i have EVER seen pictures of that Tarkin and so i have no idea what he looked like. is this suppose to be the actual unreleased vintage Tarkin or just a new vintage style bs that someone sculpted?
I was about to ask the same thing. I thought there was a picture floating around but I can't find it. I could be very mistaken but I also can't find a lot of the Epic Continues pictures I used to see.

kk1

Reaction score
This is sweet, not really something I was expecting either but I can easily get behind this line if they make more never produced figures like this.

Reaction score
Looking at the cards for Luke and Leia it appears that the red "Retro" card logos are ever so slightly ****eyed from one another, which does suggest that they are stickers and not printed directly onto the art.

Reaction score
They do look slightly off, but Hasbro employees said they are printed on...so I doubt they're wrong about their own products. They're also specifically making the cards and figures different enough, so as not to be confused with vintage Kenner.