Grand Admiral Thrawn - Archive Line

Reaction score
I got into collecting Black Series after this figure was already gone. So I'm glad to have another chance to get it.
Exactly the point of these Archive figures. To bring us that got into this line later, a chance :D
I have him though, but if the face deko is nice, I will probably buy this one.

Reaction score
If I was into carded action figures that alone would be worth the purchase, really liking the art w/50th logo. Looks nice but I'll pass as I already have Thrawn. Tempting though. lol

Reaction score
This is the only "existing" Rebels figure that I missed out on. Can't wait to grab him!

Reaction score
I agree, it seems too soon with this one.
That was my first thought when they revealed him, but I guess it does make sense since they re-released the other Rebels figures, as SpectreOne pointed out. Still, why not release him with the other Rebels figures as jcb213 suggested?

I don't remember Thrawn being all that tough to track down. Does he demand a high price on the secondary market? I don't know, it almost seems like a waste of a slot to me, but I am glad that folks that didn't get him before will have a shot at him.

Reaction score
Love that folks can now get Thrawn without paying $40 and up on the secondary market, but it does seem odd that he's taking a slot in an Archive wave and not in the "Fan Channel"-exclusive Rebels wave. Maybe it's more of a nod to the character's place in Star Wars history as the villain that resurrected the franchise in the early '90s--hence the Lucasfilm 50th Anniversary logo.

I'm really torn over whether or not to get this re-release even though I have the original (and a custom I made just before the original release was announced). On the one hand it's unclear how much a character like Thrawn, who's never had a (canon) live-action portrayal, will benefit from the face-printing tech; on the other hand he's my favorite character and it'll be tough to pass up an upgrade.

Reaction score
I hadn't started watching Rebels or read his trilogy last time he was out (and I only saw him in the wild one time). Very glad to get a second chance on him.

Reaction score
Glad he is back out for people who don't have him. I look forward to telling myself I can pass on him since I already have him, then seeing how good the faceprint looks as the release date approaches before I cave and spend the money for him to fit in better when standing next to Tarkin or opposite the Rebels.

Reaction score
Glad he is back out for people who don't have him. I look forward to telling myself I can pass on him since I already have him, then seeing how good the faceprint looks as the release date approaches before I cave and spend the money for him to fit in better when standing next to Tarkin or opposite the Rebels.
Came here to say this as well. Right now I'm saying to myself "Do I really need to upgrade?" when I know when released I'm going to pick him up.

Reaction score
I don’t see an upgrade to the face, personally. He just looks a little bit like Dracula to me. Maybe the hi-res shots will show something different but I feel pretty contented with the original release as it is.

Reaction score
Hmm... not much of an improvement, if any?
But as have been stated by many: good for those who didn't get him. It's a great figure!
And a possibility to make another skin color face to fill out the ranks and an officer body. It's a win win.

Reaction score
Yeah I dunno if I’m biting on this one. The photoreal looks a little better, especially the thinning of the eyebrows. But I like the darker more saturated blue. And Thrawn already cost me $50 cause I had to have the exclusive just for the JTG helmet. So I guess it’ll be a game time decision. As of now I’m only definite on Cody and Han cause I sold the originals.

Reaction score
Hmm... not much of an improvement, if any?
But as have been stated by many: good for those who didn't get him. It's a great figure!
And a possibility to make another skin color face to fill out the ranks and an officer body. It's a win win.
I think it's a big improvement, actually!

I had been on the fence about this figure, passed on him a couple times, and then when I finally decided I wanted him he was fetching $40 on ebay. I do agree he is an odd choice, although as others have noted he ties in well with the recent Rebels wave and he is the subject of the latest Star Wars novel. Perhaps he will be making a comeback in some form of Star Wars media in 2021?

Reaction score
What's the "improvement"? The only thing I notice is they lessened the red in his eyes, and he it might be lighter shade of blue. Definitely not worth a second purchase. IMO

Reaction score
I still have a few of thrawn's and hera's from the first release sitting around in the garage. remeber I couldn't stop finding them and trading them out for figures I needed.

Reaction score
The original looks more like what I picture from the comics or an artistic representation, whereas the Archive seems what would be more realistic in tv/movies. I agree that the skin color should definitely be a darker shade of blue and I also noticed the mismatched coloring on the boots, which I hope is corrected. All in all, though, I'll definitely pick him up to keep carded.

Can't update the OP anymore, but here are the rest of the press images. Available Spring 2021 with a MSRP of $19.99.

Last edited:
Reaction score