God save the Emperor - A Royal Guard prototype limelight

Reaction score
I've shared my ERG pre-production run on other forums and groups lately, thought I'd do a proper limelight here as well. It all started with the blue print from York's famous cantina sale back in 2006, then I've picked up approx a piece a year. I love the design of the character, so clean and evil.

Figural 2D stuff: Staff blue print, LFL/Kenner reference photo, 35mm slide with HC

Figural 3D stuff: handpainted protomold, black first shot leg, first shot w brown cape, bagged QC sample, stress test figure, production. The beige parts are wax, that MIGHT MIGHT be early castings from an alternate sculpt, the research continues but I think that will be tough to ever say for sure.

Package 2D stuff: 65bk proof with Revenge text on back, 65bk QC, 65C emperor offer Cromalin, POTF early alt design mock-up (which at some point used to have picture and bubble and Kenner logo attached to it)

One of the coolest things are that the QC index note says: "Beware of mixing up with old fabric", i.e. the brown fabric used on the first shot.

Enjoy!
Mattias

NEW!
Been fortunate to add a few smaller great items for my ERG run. Big thanks to Mete and Ross Cuddie!

The first shot head is now out of the AFA-case and displayed on a "naked" production body. I didn't want to have a red cape before the brown cape that was later intentially changed, hence the break.

The whole figural run incl a new "photo sample/model" used for photographing the Imperial Shuttle box diorama.

Slides can be a nice and fun addition to a run. I especially like them for research purposes, if you can match them with a specific exciting hard copy or a mock up used in a toy fair catalog or a transperacy used for developing a print which later was retouched and created into photo art.

Whats cool about the first slide is that there's a knob on the prototype staff, look at the blue print and you see the knob is hand drawn. So it wasn't made just for fun, but made it into the prototype stage.

Plus the figure itself COULD be my protomolded piece, but it's next to impossible to match. And the ERG in the Shuttle cook pit could be my photo sample, but thats def impossible to say for sure.

Photo credit: Ross Cuddie

If you haven't checked out the great article on the archive about kenner photography I recommend you do that:
http://blog.theswca.com/2014/10/collecting-and-displaying-kenner.html

Dug out this proof sheet today to have framed. Not an ERG item per se, but think it's a quite cool connection. And one of the figures in the pic is in my figural run as a photo sample/model.

Thanks for looking,
Mattias

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, great stuff and very impressive that you constantly expand you amazing preprod collection!

Thanks for sharing!

/Jäger AKA Stackars Jack

Reaction score
Amazing run as usual, love the protomold, and the brown cape first shot. Very impressive, thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Another fantastic character focus. Some great pieces - my favourite is the 65c Cromalin. The colours look fantastic.

Reaction score
Amazing run, I see lot's of great pieces there! I don't think I've seen a good run on him before.... Congrats!

Reaction score
POTF early alt design mock-up (which at some point used to have picture and bubble and Kenner logo attached to it)
Have any pics surfaced? If so, any you can share? Or it it glue residue that gave it away?

John

Reaction score
Have any pics surfaced? If so, any you can share? Or it it glue residue that gave it away?
Unfortunately I haven't found any pics, but Ive asked Kim to look for it when he's going through his negatives. Fingers crossed. So it's glue residue that gives it away, very clear bubble and image shaped residue, and a separate Kenner logo shaped residue.

Mattias

Reaction score
The black alt POTF card is actually pretty awesome, what could have been...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Amazing run, I see lot's of great pieces there! I don't think I've seen a good run on him before.... Congrats!
Look up 'PhantomShadows' RG run (R.I.P Andy) you can see a huge focus on him.

Mattias-great collection buddy. Love the cromalin :)

Reaction score
Ughhh who else is really mad at themselves for getting into this hobby so late?!

Great run, Mattias.
LOL I was actually thinking how nostalgic that pic made me. That was my second big show. That display was sick. To think, so much of it just sat there and went home with both Toms again after the show. People kill puppies and kittens for that stuff now.

John

HWR

Reaction score
Really great stuff Mattias. Thanks for sharing photos here, but would love to see your entire collection irl one day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Really nice display! Museum worthy. :) Do yo have a Luke X-wing focus as well? Researching I came over an old tread were you expressed you'd started a focus.

Reaction score
Great run Mattias. The ERG is also one of my favourite characters. Thanks for sharing:grin:

Reaction score
Meh..needs more Ewok. :grin:

Awesome run Mattias, some exceptional items there - the POTF mock up card is great but I also like the weapon blueprint too.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated.

I updated the first post with some minor but neat additions. Enjoy...

Mattias :)

Reaction score
GREAT additions Mattias..... : )
Love the historical photos also...
Now, when do we get to see your Dengar collection?
-Steve

Reaction score
Couldnt imagine a better home for that ERG head Mattias. That run is incredible. Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
That is an amazing run wow!
BTW I love the way the slides are displayed. Need to find similar "frames" to display my slides and transparencies!
-Matth

Reaction score
Seeing stuff like this really does inspire me to get into pre production stuff some day! I have a couple of character ideas, but I'm sure most of the stuff for them has already fallen into collector hands.

Amazing run!

Reaction score
Recently listened to the 'chivecast (episode 81) where this run was limelighted. Great run - love that Shuttle proof sheet. Great addition to the run.

Reaction score
Andy would have absolutely loved your ERG run my friend...and having been lucky enough to have seen it in person I feel humbled to both of you who have/had such passion for the character that David Tree described as a " Pair of crushed velvet curtains " has acquired such an incredible pre pro collection....

It always makes me smile when someone shows the love for the ERG my dear friend had....