Ghostbusters Afterlife

Reaction score
Just saw the new trailer. Looks really good!! Looks way better then the last all girl reboot!!
I was hoping they show the glimpses of the original cast, but they didn't in this trailer.

Reaction score
Now THAT...is much more like it! Totally more the passing of the torch a new Ghostbusters should have been! I def. picked up that the girl was related to Egon before the reveal. I mean, it makes sense, as the only one who's can't return...it should totally be his family.

Reaction score
A lot of this movie was filmed here in Alberta, where I'm from! I recognized some of the places in the trailer. I'll definitely be going to see it in theaters. :)

Reaction score
Looks great - but, I'll reserve judgement until I actually see the film.

Obviously, the first Ghostbusters film (1984) was the best, and is a film most would consider a classic at this point.

I saw Ghostbusters II (1989) in the theater, and felt it was weak. I saw it again a couple of years ago & my opinion still hasn't changed.

I definitely felt the re-booted all female Ghostbusters (2016) was underrated & far better than II, but didn't realize it's full potential. I did especially like Kate McKinnon's character, since she cracks me up in anything she's in - LOL.

Reaction score
Man, I've never gotten the acclaim for her character. I usually LOVE her, but in GB, I thought she was just obnoxious. The entire thing felt like it was a live-action cartoon, and she was the worst offender. Even worse than Hemsworth.

Reaction score
Man, I've never gotten the acclaim for her character. I usually LOVE her, but in GB, I thought she was just obnoxious. The entire thing felt like it was a live-action cartoon, and she was the worst offender.
It depends on the type of humor you like. I think KM was frickin' hilarious in the film.

Reaction score
I'm a massive fan of the original 1984 Ghostbusters, I grew up at the perfect age for Ghostbusters mania, being born in 1984. I still remember The Real Ghostbusters cartoon giving me vivid nightmares, but I was obsessed nonetheless, the Boogieman episode especially. That one is infamous for those my age. For me, Ghostbusters 1984 is a perfect film. It's such a bizarre film when you really analyze it too. As a child, it's just a straight-up horror as the comedy is often so dry or even surprisingly raunchy for most to land overtly with kids. Re-watching the film in my early teens, I was blown away to learn it's NOT what I remembered and I came to appreciate it on two very different levels: my young and impressionable minds and my now more aware growing mind. Another utterly fascinating aspect is how you view the Ghostbusters as a kid or as an adult. As a kid, these are like epic heroes...but when you view them at a more mature age, you come to realize...my God, these are a bunch of loser shlubs. Peter is basically just a pervert and conman, Spengler is a genius but utter social misfit weirdo, Ray is constantly down on his luck, and Winston is literally just there to collect a paycheck. They're shown losing their jobs, smoking, drinking, poor, having...questionable morals and sinful desires...and they become heroes in this wacky spectral adventure! And somehow, it made for BRILLIANT comedy and film-making.

Ghostbusters II, well, I do enjoy it, but it's def. more toyetic. I mean a gigantic portion of the film was dedicated to basically promoting the cartoons toy slime. I still think it has amazing moments though, it's just undeniably weaker but I still think entertaining.

There is no Ghostbusters 2016, what are some of you talking about? What a strange dream you must have had.

So I'm really hoping this new one is good...really hoping! Some amazing things of note that really lead to this being incredible? Firstly, I can see the passion and love already being put into it. Once it's revealed that the kids, at least the girl, have to be related to Egon...the title made sense. Afterlife. This is going to be a brilliant and possibly even emotional tribute to Harold Ramis, co-writer of the original two films and Egon Spengler himself. The fact that Jason Reitman, son of the director of the first two, is doing it adds to that aura. The passing the torch theme is also meta with this one.

There are immense amounts of references that show those making this care. For example, note the gateway the two kids are walking through that clearly says keep out. It says Shandor Mine...as in Ivo Shandor, the architect and secret cult leader of Gozer who built the apartment building in the original film. He created it as a conduit to channel spirits, particularly Gozer, by particularly utilizing odd metals and occultist designs. This is all stated in the film. Metals...and now a mine? Hm! Not a coincidence. Note the books stacked from floor to ceiling just like in the library in the opening scenes of the original. Note what appear to be spores, mold, and fungus in Petri dishes in the farmhouse as well as a fire-pole, countless Ghostbusters equipment, and the kicker...a suit that says Spengler on it. I believe, due to the actual actors involvement, even the 2009 video game, the unofficial Ghostbusters 3, it's remaining canon. Why? Because I think Paul Rudd IS the Rookie from that game. And he does say, no ghost have been seen for 30 years. Ghostbusters II takes place in 1989. The game takes place in 1991. Each is just one year shy of 30, one more, one less. But heavy rumor is, he's the one who brings in Peter, Ray, and Winston. How could he do that? A past history! He also immediately recognizes the ghost trap, no one else seems to. Why would this be? The Government would likely cover up the events of the two original films, making them basically Area 51 level reliable stories. Basically legendary national enquirer stuff or roll your eyes X-Files only the tinfoil hat types believe. I mean it shows in both original films, the authorities and political officials don't like them (just need them) and by the second, basically even tried to destroy them...and nearly succeeded. Then lastly, I noted that the Ecto 1 has a sudden gunner seat. Now, which it's not on TOP of the vehicle, that's totally a reference to the very first every released Ecto 1 toy that had a gunner seat. Even the very fact that Egon seems to be the catalyst, albeit from the dead, the one who inspires the new generation is very Ghostbusters Extreme, an actual continuation on the animated series that's been sadly forgotten. It wasn't bad.

This seems to be meshing consistently all the lore. The original films, the REAL Ghostbusters cartoon, Extreme Ghostbusters (in subtle ways), and the 2009 Video Game plot, and even the freaking vintage toys in a slight way. I don't think we're forgetting anything else...*wink wink*

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally saw the trailer, and it looks ten times better than the last movie in its entirety!

That said, I'm not so sure about such a heavy focus on the kids. At least that young anyways. I always envisioned a Ghostbusters academy of people at least 17-18ish.

Reaction score
Is there any chance that that is Ray's farmhouse that they mortgaged in the original? I know it has Spengler all over it, but that would be cool. Trailer tells me though dont get your hopes up could be relying on nostalgia just like the Sequel Trilogy... Hope I am wrong.

Reaction score
Great memories of Ghostbusters in the '80's, MysterioMaximus. I was in my early teens when Ghostbusters '84 came out & enjoyed the film. But, I was in my later teens when Ghostbuster II & the cartoon came out in the latter '80's - so really wasn't into these as much. I also remember the toys from the late '80's & the Classic ones that came out more recently - but, never collected these.

However, after reading your post I think I'm going to try to watch The Real Ghostbusters cartoon at some point. I remember seeing bits & pieces when it was on, but never saw a full episode. Since I've been getting more nostalgic about older cartoons recently, I think I may start watching this next year.

Reaction score
IIRC, Bill Murray used to say, he wanted a sequel where his character was dead and he came back AS a ghost.
with the title being "Afterlife", I wonder if that's where this is headed.

Reaction score
IIRC, Bill Murray used to say, he wanted a sequel where his character was dead and he came back AS a ghost. with the title being "Afterlife", I wonder if that's where this is headed.
That would be hilarious.

Reaction score
Great memories of Ghostbusters in the '80's, MysterioMaximus. I was in my early teens when Ghostbusters '84 came out & enjoyed the film. But, I was in my later teens when Ghostbuster II & the cartoon came out in the latter '80's - so really wasn't into these as much. I also remember the toys from the late '80's & the Classic ones that came out more recently - but, never collected these.

However, after reading your post I think I'm going to try to watch The Real Ghostbusters cartoon at some point. I remember seeing bits & pieces when it was on, but never saw a full episode. Since I've been getting more nostalgic about older cartoons recently, I think I may start watching this next year.
Some of my most fond early memories were of Ghostbusters. Honest to God! I remember playing on the bathroom floor with my vintage Ecto 1 as my dad was shaving and he totally spilled his coffee on the hood. To this day there's a stain on it. I remember BEGGING my mom for slime, but she refused to buy it because she thought it would stain the carpet. I remember when I got a completely random and enormous package in the mail from my Grandparents, it was as big as I was at the time. My mom opened it up and low and behold, it was the Ghostbusters firehouse playset. I still have a party invite my mom sent out for my 3rd birthday, it was Ghostbusters themed. I often find myself saying my age, followed by "The same age as Ghostbusters!" I even made my first little friend due to a mutual love of the film/cartoon and we'd run around the babysitters blasting ghosts with our roll-play toys. We're still best friends to this day. In fact, on his 25th birthday, I got him the vintage ghost trap in box, something we both always wanted but never had. He actually cried! Just the memories, man. I was just that PEAK age for it, Ninja Turtles, Batman 1989, and then Jurassic Park. And to this day, I still collect merch and pieces from all of those franchises.

A lot, I mean a lot, of 80's toons don't hold up well to adult scrutiny, but I sincerely think The REAL Ghostbusters (more so the earlier stuff rather than the more cartoonish kid friendly later stuff that emphasized Slimer more) is one that does hold up. It's SURPRISINGLY good. I always found two things so bizarre, one being that the voice actor for Garfield the cat voices Venkman and later Bill Murray went on to voice Garfield the cat in the movie. The strangest of all though is that Ernie Hudson himself auditioned for the voice of Winston and LOST to ****nio Hall. So bizarre! Also, a lot don't know this, but the reason their suits became so bright and colorful in the show wasn't simply because it was more cartoon-esque, but there's actually a narrative reason for the switch. They're shown returning to the fire hall in their beige movie jumpsuits, but due to the marshmallow contamination, the outfits became possessed and became these sort of spectral doppelgangers of the busters...so they needed new outfits. I always thought that was a neat touch.

Murray will def. be the one least featured in the new film, that's for sure. I've heard of the Ghost Venkman thing before too, not sure if that's where they'll go with it. But considering he's SO hard to convince or tie down, extremely difficult to work with, I think it's safe to bet he'll basically be a glorified cameo at MOST. Ray and Winston will get more screen time. So if true, that could in fact lean into him being a ghost cameo.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again, great memories. These posts are making me regret I didn't buy some of the Classic Ghostbusters toys that I saw @ sometime in the last several years. I wasn't too interested in the human characters, but do wish I got Slimer, the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again, great memories. These posts are making me regret I didn't buy some of the Classic Ghostbusters toys that I saw @ sometime in the last several yeras. I wasn't too interested in the human characters, but do wish I got Slimer, the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man, etc.
The ghosts were really fun designs. I was always fascinated by the fact that the Ghostbuster ghosts always appeared to be less ghosts and more monsters. But they're just really creative, especially to a little kid like me who spent way too much time in the back of class drawing his own monsters. Some of the most fun were the early transforming ones. The premise was they appeared to be basically normal civilians, things like a Football Player, a Mailman, a Garbage Man, Police Officer, Construction Worker, and my favorite...the seemingly innocent old Granny. But ...SURPRISE...with a flip or the press of a button...they're ghosts! There was even a seemingly harmless toiler...yes...toilet...that when you rolled it, it became a monster. As a toddler, I found that one hysterical!

d69a8d42ff4d1d657f90ebf75c30396a.jpg

Another line that was really fun was their pseudo-Universal monsters. They're not even Ghosts, can the Ghostbusters even fight them? Ah who cares, they're fun. They had a Mummy, the Frankenstein Monster, what's essentially the Wolfman and Dracula, a generic (but interestingly Haitian) Zombie, and even...oddest of all...Quasimodo the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I always found it funny as really, he's just a human. Poor guy!

26c50d94ddad24c6a5c0f8cca323a217.jpg

As for my actual, honest opinion on Ghostbusters 2016, do I think it's the worst thing ever made? No. I like a lot of the actresses in other projects, especially on SNL, I just wasn't wild about them in this. Ghostbusters Afterlife feels like a passion project from the son of the original director and a dedicated heartfelt goodbye to Ramis, co-writer and co-star of the originals. Ghostbusters 2016 didn't feel like a passion project, it felt more like a passion PRODUCT designed to just profit off brand-name recognition...that managed to sell...well...not much. Doing a Ghostbusters that's...not really Ghostbusters...just was questionable from the get go. Who'd have guessed that audiences, even already with just one trailer, wanted a film that actually...ah...is connected to the former films? Who'd a thunk?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I remember watching it on tv and playing with the toys while my mom decorated for Xmas. The boxes were my NYC. Also, I remember losing the Eye-popper Ray once and looked EVERYWHERE for it. Like, all over the house. It was literally in my hand. I had to set it down and pick it back up to look for it! What the hell, younger me?!

Reaction score
I remember watching it on tv and playing with the toys while my mom decorated for Xmas. The boxes were my NYC. Also, I remember losing the Eye-popper Ray once and looked EVERYWHERE for it. Like, all over the house. It was literally in my hand. I had to set it down and pick it back up to look for it! What the hell, younger me?!
Gosh Dag, sounds like CATS and DOGS LIVING TOGETHER! MASS HYSTERIA!

Hah! But no, in all seriousness, kids can so be like that. Heck the infamous looking in the fridge but forgetting WHAT you wanted still happens to me often. Those classic Kenner "scared" Ghostbusters were fantastic. I love the little mechanisms in them that created their reactions.

Another thing that hit me, clearly this original movie is a passion of mine, that I want to comment on. One of the most amazing aspects of comedy in this film is...can Peter take ANYTHING seriously? He's SO casual ALL the time. They're LITERALLY about to die, heck the world is in danger, and he's making jokes about sailors getting laid. Hysterical! But maybe even funnier? How he juxtapositions with the others. Ray's "I couldn't help it!" child-like innocence, after all...he is the heart. Peter is the spokesman, the voice, the con basically...save now it's not a con. It's almost like he can't even truly process what's actually happening so he just makes jokes. Then you have Egon, the brains, "I'm terrified beyond capacity for rational thought," who via him interacting with a social creature like Venkman and a childishly passionate person like Ray just seems so sterile and hysterically cold and awkward. Then you throw Winston into the mix, "If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say," the body, just a working man in over his head, and now you have this contrast with him basically implying without saying "What the heck is wrong with you all?" The dynamic of the team is GENIUS.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Never ended up watching the 2016 version so as far as I'm concerned I haven't been tainted by that version. The trailer for this new one is very promising, it's on the right track and hopefully it can relaunch the franchise.