GG Q&A Thread (back in business!)

"Anakin has influenza" haha! and "looks great from the back" haha! On Han Solo Endor: "Why is his head a different scale than his body?" haha! It's funny how the guy asked: "Who's approving these statues" Well, his name is Chuck, that's who. Chuck told us once, in one of his rare appearances, that nothing gets approved without his consent, so they should contact him, right? It's incredible how Gentle Giant under DST ownership, have turned into something for people to make fun of more often than ever. It's so sad. They used to be my main line of collectibles as I know it was for others that have slowed down making GG purchases or have left them all together. And to all this negative feedback not a peep from the powers that be. Even if they were to say something it would be along the lines of: "if you don't like it, don't buy it"

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'm interested to hear what everyone would like to see for mini-busts going forward? Here is my dream list...

Cal Kestis and BD-1
Merrin
Quinlan Vos (put this man in one of the live shows already!)
MORE PADME (she has soooo many gorgeous costumes yet we keep getting the arena stuff over and over)
DJ Rex (from Galaxy's Edge/Star Tours)

To be honest, I want to see quality over quantity. I want to see a remake of Bespin Luke, Endor Han Solo, Count Dooku and others. I want to see DST actually making an effort to offer a product worthy of what they are telling us to pay now. Once that gets accomplished I want to see the Wampa mini bust they keep putting off after teasing us with it, and for it to look like the prototype, not like the abominable snow monster. I want to see an AT-ST driver, a cloud city guard, Ephant Mon, Ishi Tib, Death Star trooper, Hoth Soldier, Hermit Odle and a bunch more.

To be honest, I want to see quality over quantity. I want to see a remake of Bespin Luke, Endor Han Solo, Count Dooku and others. I want to see DST actually making an effort to offer a product worthy of what they are telling us to pay now. Once that gets accomplished I want to see the Wampa mini bust they keep putting off after teasing us with it, and for it to look like the prototype, not like the abominable snow monster. I want to see an AT-ST driver, a cloud city guard, Ephant Mon, Ishi Tib, Death Star trooper, Hoth Soldier, Hermit Odle and a bunch more.
I'd be fine with fewer busts per year and I'd stop complaining about price if they'd start focusing on quality over quantity. The only ones they need to compete with are themselves, and they need to hold themselves to a higher standard. There are different levels of collectibles that DST/GG puts out. I don't expect the DST PVC $50-60 statues to have great accuracy when it comes to an actors likeness, but the higher end GG stuff, busts and statues should be on point. I don't know if its a single person or a committee at Lucasfilm or GG that is approving these busts and statues but they need to be reevaluated. If it is a single person then it needs to be a committee, majority votes, project moves forward.

They need to have a in house check list for items being approved before they go into production. Then they need to see two to three samples from the factory before they are mass produced to make sure that all points on the list are being met. Then occasionally do spot checks on the runs to make sure quality is being met.

1. Likeness, human or creature. Does it look like the person or creature. Could you show this head sculpt (only) to a person not involved with the project and could they identify who it is based on random photos given. Think police line up.
2. Assembly, when possible, if the sculpt allows, have the arms/hand with weapons, range finders, etc. be separate parts, held with magnets. Maybe even have the head as a separate piece like one of the deluxe busts. This should help cut down on some breakage.
3. Scale, the new sculpt (paint master) should be physically put next to at least three older busts to see if it is the correct scale. This should eliminate the undersized busts.
4. Utilize your assets, some sculptors are weaker with human likenesses. If the likeness isn't there, bring in another artist to bring the project home. Let the busts and statues be a collaboration. If you look at the Sideshow website, it will list the designers and sculptors for a project, very seldom is it only one person. Multiple people are working on the piece.
5. Paint master/artist proofs, I don't know if they are just sending digital files to the factory but things happen. Things get read wrong. This could help some with the scale issue. The factory needs to have a paint master/artist proof to reference not just digital files.
6. Quality Control. Random sample needs to be checked early in the run of each item to make sure that they are meeting standards. Pulls from molds are accurate, paint is sharp, etc...

That's my 4 cents..

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'm interested to hear what everyone would like to see for mini-busts going forward? Here is my dream list...

Cal Kestis and BD-1
Merrin
Quinlan Vos (put this man in one of the live shows already!)
MORE PADME (she has soooo many gorgeous costumes yet we keep getting the arena stuff over and over)
DJ Rex (from Galaxy's Edge/Star Tours)
An Elan Sleazebaggano would be nice. (Yes I’m serious :)

Attachments

• IMG_3867.jpeg
    IMG_3867.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 23
View attachment 462425
Not sure if to be excited or terrified. 😬
Personally speaking, there is really no excitement left in me at all. After so many paint and scale issues, parts that don't fit in properly, lack of likeness, long delays, price hikes, and things no one asked to be made getting made, I'm rather expecting the worse outcome to feel a little better in case something actually good and wanted gets announced. We'll see what it is they'll announce, for how much and what year they'll have it shipped. Hopefully they'll stay away from human faces ...

1685280482119.png

Last edited:
Personally speaking, there is really no excitement left in me at all. After so many paint and scale issues, parts that don't fit in properly, lack of likeness, long delays, price hikes, and things no one asked to be made getting made, I'm rather expecting the worse outcome to feel a little better in case something actually good and wanted gets announced. We'll see what it is they'll announce, for how much and what year they'll have it shipped. Hopefully they'll stay away from human faces ...

View attachment 462562
I understand. After 15 years or more being a Premier Guild member, this might be my last.

Is it just me , or did they touch up this photo with some extra shade covering the right eye to hide how crooked his eyeball is ?
6295a0c479223f1ec0ab797d9fef8f1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Is it just me , or did they touch up this photo with some extra shade covering the right eye to hide how crooked his eyeball is ?

Now I'm beginning to understand, why they gave Henry Jones Sr. these tarnished spectacles! To hide imperfections in the face! Unfortunately they can't put the glasses on Indy's face, otherwise they would have probably done that!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230602_190550_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602_190550_Chrome.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 22
Now I'm beginning to understand, why they gave Henry Jones Sr. these tarnished spectacles! To hide imperfections in the face! Unfortunately they can't put the glasses on Indy's face, otherwise they would have probably done that!
I ordered one of those so I really hope they do fix the lenses.
Fingers crossed that their skilled artists don’t just copy them as is. They look like something Kanye West would wear. :confused:

Hank, this is pretty much what his eyes look like without that shaded area over his right eye...

Indy.jpg

Yeah , I remember on the initial pics , you could clearly see how bad his eye was. But , on these new pics , they tried to hide it. Not good. And the lenses on Henry's glasses are the only thing wrong with his bust. I'm on the fence with that one.

Henry looks pretty good, better than Indy in my opinion. I can actually see Sean Connery likeness there. But yeah, the glasses do look weird with hazy lenses and lines on them.

If it wasn't for the hazy glasses, this could be a winner. You're right on his likeness LightSword, it's definitely there. Let's hope someone sees the light, and will decide to turn the hazy ones into clear glasses.

Hi, Can anyone point me towards a resource that has GG busts listed by release date? Potter, LOTR needed more but an up to date SW would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Is it just me , or has it been quite a while since anything has been released ? Not a peep about anything hitting their warehouse. Nothing.

Is it just me , or has it been quite a while since anything has been released ? Not a peep about anything hitting their warehouse. Nothing.

The last one for me was Ahsoka, about 6 weeks ago. I don’t know if it’ll hold up but Deep Discount says the release date for Ezra Bridger is June 28…

Cool , I've got him ordered with them as well. It just seems odd that with about 20 pre-orders out , we haven't heard any news on any of them for so long.

JULY 3rd 2023: Whatever happen to Barada, DST/GG? You have left all of us in limbo with only a drawing from a year ago and no updates on the mini bust. It is not even listed on your "Ship Dates Update"! You are so uncaring of your customers. Where is the mini bust for which many of us paid you a membership on July on 2022 to get it as a "gift"?

Last time I checked it was the same delay and drawn image for the Bespin Luke mini bust and it came out looking like Barada when you finally threw it at us. What's wrong with Barada, does it look like Luke? Jeez!

I wonder what lines they're thinking of bringing back ?
I could go for some more Star Wars animated maquettes.
0d5223fe14126407c9f68d3c187071a0.jpg

When I see "upcoming lines" I think of new things and for the "returning lines" I'm thinking of the already existing ones they have, but who knows how they meant it to be...

The only things I'd be interested for them to bring back as far as Star Wars goes would be their dioramas, like the ones they did for Jabba's throne, Wampa, Stormtroopers with Han in Carbonite, AND the .45 scale helmets they have the license for and never did anything with them other than some repaints, despite being requested by many. In the remote, very remote case any of these get brought back, what will they make OT related and WHEN will these things be released? Bust ups and Kustomz Roto Figures? Personally, I was never interested in those. In my humble opinion, I think that before bringing back anything, they should focus on finishing up what they started, things like completing the Cantina band musicians mini busts (for those like myself into collecting OT), the rest of the Battle Droids they once cancelled, other requested mini busts like Ephant Mon, Rancor Keeper, Death Star Droid, Nute Gunray, Poe Dameron, and actually work on requested Cantina alien 1/6 statues. But hey, this might be just ol' me wanting what some of the powers that be consider to be "outdated".

Any guesses on what ewok will be announced tomorrow ? My guess is Paploo stealing the speeder bike.

Well... they did
GG announcing anything on a weekend is pretty unusual. You sure you got that right? Did PGMs get an email?
Well... they did announce the new Valentines Day Web Exclusive; the "Wicket W. Warrick"-statue! Available for PGM-members on 12 and 13 February at 12 PM EST. And to the general public as of February 14th, 12 PM EST.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1707584752351.jpg
    FB_IMG_1707584752351.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 19
Another Wicket ? I hope he's standing on a trooper helmet or something. Otherwise , it's just like the bust , only with feet , and the spear in his other hand.

In all honesty, this is yet another boring offer. There's a Wicket Mini Bust already in existence, why not make a different Ewok? It reminds me of the blue outfit Snaggletooth that was made into a Mini Bust when they already had made a statue wearing the same outfit, while at the same time ignoring the movie-accurate red outfit. They want to make Ewok statues? Great! I'm all for it, but don't go over what's already been tackled. Keep this in mind GG: 'Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavor. I'll pass on this one. JMHO

Last edited:
In all honesty, this is yet another boring offer. There's a Wicket Mini Bust already in existence, why not make a different Ewok? It reminds me of the blue outfit Snaggletooth that was made into a Mini Bust when they already had made a statue wearing the same outfit, while at the same time ignoring the movie-accurate red outfit. They want to make Ewok statues? Great! I'm all for it, but don't go over what's already been tackled. Keep this in mind GG: 'Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavor. I'll pass on this one. JMHO
Talking about variety, Julian... I think now, that they 've decided to revisit Wicket, and do him as a statue, it's about time they start thinking again, about doing an R2 statue! That's one item, that's long overdue, in my opinion. And we don't need an R2 with all the extendables, like they once presented, but weren't able to produce in the end, just because of all the extendable items it featured. Just a plain, simple Astromech droid, to place next to their 3-PO statue, that would be great! Droids like R2 work better as a statue than as a bust anyway.

Talking about variety, Julian... I think now, that they 've decided to revisit Wicket, and do him as a statue, it's about time they start thinking again, about doing an R2 statue! That's one item, that's long overdue, in my opinion. And we don't need an R2 with all the extendables, like they once presented, but weren't able to produce in the end, just because of all the extendable items it featured. Just a plain, simple Astromech droid, to place next to their 3-PO statue, that would be great! Droids like R2 work better as a statue than as a bust anyway.

I agree. I'm not even going to talk about an Artoo Mini Bust (we do not have) because it is a debatable subject which some agree will look good as a bust while others don't see it that way. That being said, I think most GG collectors would be happy with just a simple, decent representation of the Astromech for the 1/6 scale. No bells and whistles needed. At this point in time that is something Sideshow has addressed quite well with theirs. Just offer the GG collector community a Polystone statue of the little guy; nothing has to open or pop up. They did it for Clone Wars, why not one based on the movies?
And they could do a sixth scale 3PO statue while they're at it. The 2005 was way too small.

I agree. Long ago I had that 3PO, but sold it after finding out the R2 statue that was expected to be made as a companion piece had been axed. Indeed, the 3PO statue is too small for the 1/6 scale. So if they were to make an R2, and knowing how much GG likes revisiting the same character, a new C-3PO statue properly scaled, I'm sure it would be a welcoming piece.

The Barada PGM gift bust is limited to 350 ! The 360° review is on YouTube now. If there was already a thread for him , I couldn't find it , but thought the low E.S. was worth mentioning here at least.

Back