GG Q&A Thread (back in business!)

Reaction score
Sorry you do not like the bust, those are prototype pictures so the final product will differ, if you mean will there be a complete resculpt or something like that - there will not be.

We use a mix of scans, digital sculpts and traditional sculpts for all our products.
I know there will always be haters for pieces that come out or folks that will nit pick one thing or another. We all find ourselves in that boat once in a while. But the reaction to this bust has been visceral by most commenters on this forum and on FB. It's truly a shame you're not willing to listen to your customers and make the changes on a piece many of us have been waiting on for years. I do hope a large inventory sitting in your warehouse gathering dust and tying up your investment proves to you how unwise it is not to listen to your consumers. And the fact that you can't see how this mini bust doesn't fit into the line of mini busts you produce is extremely troubling.

Reaction score
Sorry you do not like the bust, those are prototype pictures so the final product will differ, if you mean will there be a complete resculpt or something like that - there will not be.

We use a mix of scans, digital sculpts and traditional sculpts for all our products.
That is disappointing. It is a shame that you are in denial about how bad this item is. Products like this will harm your reputation. I know that I will be put off future purchases because of the reduced standards.
At least we know to avoid ordering this bust now, or to cancel our pre orders, so thank you for the warning.

Reaction score
You guys are making it sound like Chuck is sitting in a room all by himself making these decisions. It might be smart to cut him some slack if you want him to spend his time popping in here to try to answer questions,,,
He's the face of the company as the President. I can't speak for others but when I say "you" I'm referring to the company as a whole. I'm not trying to make this a personal attack.

Reaction score
Well, he is the president of DST who owns GG and essentially has complete control of what happens as president. No, he may not be in charge of production, design, even marketing, but as a leader, he's responsible. The President of the US doesn't fight the wars, but he's responsible for the war. Same concept. Chuck is a leader and has been put there to be in charge of DST and it's subsidiaries. So, yea, this falls on his shoulders.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You guys are making it sound like Chuck is sitting in a room all by himself making these decisions. It might be smart to cut him some slack if you want him to spend his time popping in here to try to answer questions,,,
He hardly answers anything these days, as customers do you not think we have the right to voice our disappointment? The Dooku bust is awful but they don't seem to want to acknowledge it, "sorry you don't like it".
Since DST took over they cut down the PGM but still charge us the same and the customer service has gotten even worse than the appalling GG. But hey let's not say anything in case Chuck decides not to grace his with his presence once in a blue moon.
He is ultimately responsible as director and could do something if he so desired.

Reaction score
Never mind, I’d assumed it was a usual thing where someone from GG customer service or
marketing was popping in as a courtesy. If he’s the president of DST, he’s the guy to tell it to I suppose.

Reaction score
He hardly answers anything these days, as customers do you not think we have the right to voice our disappointment? The Dooku bust is awful but they don't seem to want to acknowledge it, "sorry you don't like it".
Since DST took over they cut down the PGM but still charge us the same and the customer service has gotten even worse than the appalling GG. But hey let's not say anything in case Chuck decides not to grace his with his presence once in a blue moon.
He is ultimately responsible as director and could do something if he so desired.

Apologies if I missed any respectful actual questions in this tread or in the ASKDST emails, that was not the intention.

Reaction score
I am also disappointed with the Dooku bust and won't be purchasing it if it stays the same. However, I tend to think that GG can't do anything without the approval of the Mouse House. Someone over there approved this--perhaps over other options--and no one at GG, not even Chuck, can just change it, let alone speak out about it. Surely everyone remembers the concept art for ANH Luke, which was incredibly well-received, and then we got He-Man Luke after everyone else involved in the process had their say on the final product.

Reaction score
What does Mr. Chuck mean by missing respectful questions? Is Mr Chuck, sole leader of DST/GG, the distinguished gentleman who, in more than one occasion expressed no product gets approved without his final word, implying collectors are disrespectful to him sometimes? If that is an issue, I personally would like to apologize on behalf of the collector community and myself for the following disrespectful questions:

- Asking repetitively about the making of the Malakili mini bust after having won the Instagram contest GG conducted and signaling therefore it was going to be produced.

- Asking repetitively about please revisiting the lack of likeness on the Dooku mini bust and offering collectors a product on par with its price and the quality expected by an almost 20 year old maker.

- Asking repetitively about the Luke Bespin mini bust where only the sketch of the character has been shown in over a year.

- Disapproval of repetition, thus asking why another Ben mini bust is getting made when three of them already exist, while avoiding making wanted characters.

But, most importantly, I would like to apologize on behalf of many members of the collector community and myself for attempting to have a voice, an opinion, an interest, a concern and point out what many members see as issues related to product which feel subpar to established GG standards. It is understood that by expressing disapproval or questioning decision making made by the elite in today's society, all of the above could be seen as disrespectful.

Reaction score
I get the customer-is-always right thing, but the tone here does sometimes get negative and sarcastic, and occasionally rude.

If you want more details about the Dooku decision, there are certainly ways we can ask if he can expand on why they won’t update the sculpt without making it confrontational or childish. If you don’t like it, it’s fine to not buy it and let him know why you’re not buying it, but a lot of the questions regarding this really have been kind of rudely posed. I’ll give it a shot though…
Hey Chuck, could you expand a little bit on why there isn’t an option to pause the Dooku bust for some likeness revisions? Is it too far into production to alter, or is there some other reason that it’s full steam ahead? Because the consensus here is that the likeness is really far off and most of us are concerned that slight changes to paint or whatever won’t be enough to do the character justice and make this one worthy of the price tag and space in our collections.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Chuck. It's good to know that 3D scans are still being used. As said in my post, your use of scan data is what really sets Gentle Giant apart from all the other statue and toy lines. If product descriptions even included detail such as "head, face, costume, weapons, helmet generated using 3D scan data", knowing what was (and wasn't) started with a scan would be a very attractive selling feature for me.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Chuck. It's good to know that 3D scans are still being used. As said in my post, your use of scan data is what really sets Gentle Giant apart from all the other statue and toy lines. If product descriptions even included detail such as "head, face, costume, weapons, helmet generated using 3D scan data", knowing what was (and wasn't) started with a scan would be a very attractive selling feature for me.

If 3D scans are still being used, then they probably scanned the sculpting work of a 5th grader for Dooku. Either that or their scanner had a serious glitch.

Reaction score
Would it be possible at all Sir, to let us know (as long as it is within your possibilities, without causing any sort of disruption from what I assume could be a very busy schedule), if the McQuarrie Mini bust will be ready for SDCC this year? Please Sir, forgive me if in any way, shape or form I sound rude for bringing up this question; not my intention in the least. Being as we are, just two weeks away from SDCC, I'm interested in knowing if there is in fact a SDCC McQuarrie mini bust, what will it be if so, and most importantly, will it be in stock, ready to ship after the convention as the way it was done for years?

Thank you very much in advance for any concise information you could supply to this matter. Respectfully yours,

Force Strong

Reaction score
I'm seeing more members of the collecting community like myself, that are getting tired/fed up with the lack of issues being fixed. And with generic answers, and when we get someone with authority to talk, being given the same answers that are being posted on social media, the community here might be feeling a little undervalued. There has been no acknowledgment of legitimate concerns or complaints. None. Only deflections and placing blame elsewhere (i.e. shipping for the items that are almost 2 years behind schedule).

It seems that no one at DST/GG either doesn't understand our frustrations, they have no empathy or they don't care for what the fans are seeing take place year after year. Long waits, inflated shipping prices, bad sculpts, excessive pre-orders... The list goes on and on.

Now the president of DST insinuating that the collecting community is disrespectful, well, I'll stop not before being accused of something else.

I understand I've had my run ins with DST/GG. I understand that some members here are ok with what I did and others saw it as excessive. However now with with entire community being accused of disrespect, it's a little bittersweet. I feel sort of vindicated, that it wasn't just me, and I also feel sad, because I honestly thought if others asked the questions I have concerns about, we would get honest feedback and answers. But we don't, with or without my presence. I was hoping that the community could reach out to Chuck, and we could get clear and transparent answers. But people asking the questions are met with cookie cutter answers and accusations of disrespect. And when trying to be respectful (be it a little sarcastic) met with even more frustrations as being told by others or the community that they are even MORE rude by trying to ask "politely".

It's a lose lose situation as I've seen and been a part of first hand. We are essentially being told to accept the cookie cutter stock answers and don't ask again or you're being rude. We absolutely have no value to this company as collectors as honest concerns are being blown off or explained away with vague and half hearted answers. And then when we ask for an answer with more substance. we are accused by the president of the company of being disrespectful only to be accused by others in the community of being even more disrespectful when rephrased. No one wins. DST/GG doesn't win because people aren't pre-ordering items or renewing PGM, fans aren't winning because we feel like no one within the company is listening to our concerns and addressing them. And the cycle continues yet again with a new(er) company in charge of our favourite collectibles (GG). Round and round we go.

Reaction score
However now with with entire community being accused of disrespect,

Yeah that’s not what’s happening here at all. There’s a real persecution complex developing among some of the people here and it’s getting weird.

Gentle Giant has created and released a few hundred mini-busts over the years and many of them are spectacular. Yeah, human likenesses aren’t their strong suit, but the idea that they’re doing something terrible because of the hundreds of possible selections, they haven’t made Malakili yet, or are too far into production to change Dooku without losing money and don’t want to admit that in a public forum is hardly worth all the weird anger and sarcasm we’re getting here. Meanwhile, it’s just a few people who are being disrespectful, rude, childish, etc… no one has accused the ‘entire community’ of being part of that.

Reaction score
Yeah that’s not what’s happening here at all.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. As that's how I read and interpreted Chuck's reply. The written word is a funny thing. When put down in black and white, can mean 200 things to 100 different people.

The whole idea that we should want better from a company is not so lofty of a goal. Especially from a company that we enjoy their products. As you pointed out a couple hundred mini busts have been fantastic! That's what the community wants, is fantastic busts. And when one so desired as the Dooku with arms, only to see what we are getting, that was such a disappointment because the community, I feel, wants better from this company and know they can do better. Every single concern with the Dooku bust is valid. Every. Single. One. Yet if what you say is true and they would lose money, well so be it. Most would rather have a good piece than a crap one whatever the cost. It's none of our faults they decided to go with the prototype they did. They have done human likeness of Dooku before and has been almost spot on. So they have the ability, but they didn't do it for whatever reason. That is what the dooku fiasco is all about. And it's a very valid issue.

As for their selection process, I don't know why DST/GG does things the way they do. Maybe it's the Mouse, maybe the genuinely don't have the pulse of the collectors in mind when making decisions. I don't know, DST/GG won't tell us. That I feel is a problem too. One that the fans are trying to bring to the attention of the company only to be met with resentment from the President when asked.

Reaction score
I get the customer-is-always right thing, but the tone here does sometimes get negative and sarcastic, and occasionally rude.

If you want more details about the Dooku decision, there are certainly ways we can ask if he can expand on why they won’t update the sculpt without making it confrontational or childish. If you don’t like it, it’s fine to not buy it and let him know why you’re not buying it, but a lot of the questions regarding this really have been kind of rudely posed. I’ll give it a shot though…
Hey Chuck, could you expand a little bit on why there isn’t an option to pause the Dooku bust for some likeness revisions? Is it too far into production to alter, or is there some other reason that it’s full steam ahead? Because the consensus here is that the likeness is really far off and most of us are concerned that slight changes to paint or whatever won’t be enough to do the character justice and make this one worthy of the price tag and space in our collections.

Again, we are sorry some of you are disappointed with the look of the Dooku bust. The picture shown was of a prototype. Hopefully more of you like the piece when the final production is done. At this time the piece is approved and in production . We will show pictures when we receive a production piece. I of course understand if you do not want to order the piece based on the pictures shown.

Reaction score

Thank you for the feedback but we do not have plans at this time to release that type of information for each piece. Even when we use a scan that scan requires extensive work from our designers.

Reaction score
Would it be possible at all Sir, to let us know (as long as it is within your possibilities, without causing any sort of disruption from what I assume could be a very busy schedule), if the McQuarrie Mini bust will be ready for SDCC this year? Please Sir, forgive me if in any way, shape or form I sound rude for bringing up this question; not my intention in the least. Being as we are, just two weeks away from SDCC, I'm interested in knowing if there is in fact a SDCC McQuarrie mini bust, what will it be if so, and most importantly, will it be in stock, ready to ship after the convention as the way it was done for years?

Thank you very much in advance for any concise information you could supply to this matter. Respectfully yours,

Force Strong

I am sorry but marketing will be announcing our final products for SDCC soon. However as I said before we are NOT stopping the concept line at this time ;)

Reaction score
Agreed.

Some of these posts are cringeworthy.

You are of course free to post whatever you want here, and phrase it however you want - Its not a GG / DST page so... I chose to come here when I can and try and answer questions, so that's on me if I don't "like" what I see. I have been doing these drop ins for over 20 years,for many properties, so stuff like that does not bother me. I'm happy to answer any questions that are questions. NO hard feelings!
There is stuff I can not answer- I will not dump on the factory / the designer / Lucas etc...
Its just not something I have ever done or will do - sorry... We're a team so its on all of us.
If you don't like something of course that is your choice - would we like you to LOVE everything we do , of course... but...
Ask away - I always am pleased that folks care enough about the property and what we do to be so passionate about it.

Stuff like why do you never do want fans want, why does this product stink, why do you ignore us etc are not really questions so I will skip stuff like that.
Same for askDST - I have been doing that for two decades and have never cherry picked the questions. If you see me at a show , feel free to ask away , everyone knows where I sit at the booth...

Thanks for your support and interest...

Reaction score
Hey Chuck , when might we hear what the next 1/7 Clone Wars and 1/6 Rebels busts will be ? After the ones we already know about of course.

P.S. The quality of the pieces released on the Rebels line so far have been fantastic !

Looking forward to seeing what's next !

Thanks !

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Again, we are sorry some of you are disappointed with the look of the Dooku bust. The picture shown was of a prototype. Hopefully more of you like the piece when the final production is done. At this time the piece is approved and in production . We will show pictures when we receive a production piece. I of course understand if you do not want to order the piece based on the pictures shown.

Sir, it isn't just " some of us" being disappointed with the look of Dooku. The sun can't be covered with one finger. It's everyone! You would have to look around hard enough to find anything positive being said about this mini bust, and I dare to say most likely you won't find it. So, why show this disaster of a sculpt to us and invite to pre-order it based on images that look like a joke? It truly makes many of us feel our perception and knowledge of what we collect are being compared to that of children crying over a Tonka toy truck. We raise questions about product, and we are met with the usual, if you don't like it don't buy it. I think the dedicated and passionate community of collectors that look after what you sell deserves a bit more appreciation and consideration. We are not just collectors, we are foremost consumers contributing to the company's earnings and keeping the business alive.

Stuff like why do you never do want fans want, why does this product stink, why do you ignore us etc are not really questions so I will skip stuff like that.
Same for askDST - I have been doing that for two decades and have never cherry picked the questions. If you see me at a show , feel free to ask away , everyone knows where I sit at the booth...

Thanks for your support and interest...

With all due respect Sir, the "stuff" you mentioned here is completely valid to be questioned, and brushing it off as the comment above seems to imply is not just frustrating but it also discredits serious concerns consumers have on any given product. Considering them not to be real questions feels a bit elitist, and leads one to believe our concerns are not taken seriously, get overlooked and we are made as little as one person and/or company's opinion wants us to be.

While I admit not everyone is on the same boat and there are some collectors that choose to remain quiet fearing to be shamed by some vocal people, or sparking some sort of disappointment from the powers that be thus possibly leading to ending the Line, and while others are just too inexperienced to notice any given reality and choose to love everything that gets made no matter how awful some product could be, there are many, many of us contrary to that who feel we have a right to voice out our criticism as a way to let you know that, as consumers of your product, there is something wrong happening. Why do we do it? Because we've been fans of what GG have produced and want the company to embrace our concerns and remain offering quality product for the long run. I haven't seen anyone being disrespectful to you nor your company, but rather a bit sarcastic in a well intended way. We are just strongly expressing issues that affect our purchasing and therefore your sales to some degree. Many of us have been loyal to the brand for almost two decades and have given GG thousands of our money. The business you are offering is a mutual one where you attract us by offering the product we want, having the expected quality it deserves, and we give you our money. It's meant to be a win /win exchange. When that exchange leans one way, and we feel minimized, it leads to criticism.

Questions you consider to be "stuff not being real questions" such as: Why do you never do what fans want? - is legit and honest one. Take a look at the lists collectors (your consumers) have written about product they have wanted for years. Look at names listed on there such as older Leia and Han and Poe from the ST, Battle Droids, Lama Su and other PT characters, Death Star Trooper, Malakili, Ephant Mon and others from the OT. Malakili even won your Instagram contest! and yet no mini bust of his to show for and the mentioning of the product is met with censorship on the GG Facebook page. So yes : Why do you hardly ever do what fans want and choose repetition of characters such as Vader, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, The Mandalorian , Boba Fett, etc., etc. and mostly have ignored what is truly wanted? It gets boring and the years go by. It is not offensive, it is not disrespectful to ask/demand product as consumers.

Why your product stinks? - That is another valid question you have considered it as not having value nor deserving to be answered. If after 20 years of developing statues and mini busts and maintaining a certain high quality level, which led to people subscribing to your product, we start to find badly painted items, parts that don't fit and crack, awful looking likenesses, and again character repetition, I believe as a consumer you'd be feeling the same way as many of us do and wondering why quality control and the expected high standard of the product takes a dive more frequently these days. When we ask it is not directed at you as a person, but at the company as a whole and, Sir you being the product controller, supplying a concise answer to the consumer is what we seek.

Just trying to be honest here and express some feelings which I can understand might differ from others, but in no way it means we are haters. If many of us disagree with your perception and that of some members of the collector community , it does not mean we dislike you or that we are mad at you. It just means that, like you, we have our own opinions and concerns. We won't treat you disrespectfully because we share different views. We just ask for the same respect and attention that as consumers we deserve.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your opinion and choice, and you have the right to them, same as I have a right to mine. That's all there is. Personally I'm just seeking a more enjoyable collecting experience for everyone including you, even if you disagree with me. It's not in my nature to take a passive stance towards mediocrity and ignore what's done wrong when it's done at the expense of the consumer. It might take the ball nowhere, but it also lets those in charge know there is more than one opinion to their decision making. All truths that are kept silent become poisonous.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Apologies if I missed any respectful actual questions in this tread or in the ASKDST emails, that was not the intention.
You only have to go back a page or so in this thread to see the frustrations of members at you not answering reasonable questions. This thread kind of petered out due to lack of response. You were quite active when DST took over but since then up until Count unrecognizable it's been patchy at best.

Reaction score
I can't even believe what I'm seeing from GG's latest offering. A Maul bust (6th mini bust of the character, 3rd since DST took over) and yet another re-hashed Jumbo Boba Fett, it's like GG isn't even trying any more. They just create the same things over and over and over again.

Take a risk, Do something new!!! ANYTHING New!!!! There are so many characters and figures to make in 12 inch form that haven't been done yet. You could literally release 1 new jumbo vintage figure a year for 40 years that hasn't been released and still not get to Malakili out of spite for me, and people would be SO HAPPY! But no, another Boba Fett. I'm just so relieved that I didn't subscribe to the PGM this year.

And to your credit Mr. Terceira, you came through on your word and kept the concept line going. Not in the way people were expecting, but Maul is a concept, and you were true to your word.

Congratulations to the people who want these items. I'm glad you're getting these and are excited for them and I genuinely hope you enjoy them in your collection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chuck, When the animated line was introduced one of the reasons given for going from 1/6 to 1/7 scale was reducing the price point. The last piece, Breaker, although not listed with the rest of the “animated” pieces on the website is still a 1/7 scale piece, and came in about $40 higher than the others (for both the exclusive and non-exclusive versions which still seems weird). Now the just announced Animated Vader at $125 is more expensive than most 1/6 busts. What’s with the price increase on this line and is this something we will continue to see?

Reaction score
Hey Chuck, any updates on when various Star Wars mini-busts might start to ship?

With Blue Snaggletooth, I now have pending pre-orders for NINETEEN mini-busts.

I've been collecting these since about 2007 and that's by far the most stuff that I've ever had orders in on at once. Some of these pre-orders are really really old and the only thing that's shipped in the last 3 or 4 months was Sabine Wren.

Is there any way to get the arrival of various pieces to be a little more... evenly spaced and consistent?

It just feels like the preorders list is really outpacing the shipped list in a way that's new compared to the last 14 or 15 years. I know some of these are for 12 months from now, but it's going to lead to a few times where 2 or 3 or more ship all in a short timespan, and it's going to get a little painful.

Tessek
The Armorer,
Dr. Aphra
Asajj Ventress
C-3PO With Babu Frik
0-0-0
FN-2187
Rebels Captain Rex
ANH Vader
Rise of Skywalker Palpatine
Death Watch Mandalorian
Rogue One Deathtrooper
Biggs Darklighter
Kanan Jarus
Count Dooku
Concept Darth Maul
Weequay
ANH Obi-Wan
Blue Snaggletooth

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Chuck!

Can you explain why the recently revealed 1:7 Rebels Darth Vader animated bust is the same price as a regular 1/6 bust?

The animated line was supposed to be cheaper but this bust and the last animated bust, Wrecker, are both $40-$60 more expensive than the original price line for Kenobi, Skywalker, Thrawn etc.

Is it because of the switchouts and them being "deluxe" busts?

Reaction score
Love it. I complain about pre-orders stacking up and I get banned from the Facebook page. Then pre-orders continue to stack up and more people act like I didn't bring this up.

I feel a bit vindicated.

It's ridiculous at this point isn't it? Even GG has to admit that. Or not. They probably won't.

Edit: I am fully aware that Chuck won't respond to me. Not even his DST Facebook staff nor customer service email team will respond to me. I'm blacklisted by the company now. They don't have my money as I've cancelled so many orders and not renewed my pgm, they don't have my money, so I mean nothing to them.

It's fun watching everything unfold though.
What's the over under that we are gonna get the corona virus affected shipping statement?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I'm not complaining about it on a public-facing company page, I also don't use Facebook, so I haven't seen any discussion about it there. Also, I'm only asking once, and nicely.

And, let's be honest... you got banned because you brought up Malakili constantly after being asked to stop. 🤷‍♂️

Reaction score
I did stop. And since you weren't on Facebook, there's no way for you to know that.

I was banned because I kept calling GG out on their long pre-order list and when asked by a GG representative via messenger to stop, I told the representative that the situation was ********. Then got told that cursing at representatives is not acceptable. To which, I wasn't cursing out the representative, just the company for its constant pre-orders and no product being shipped.

I'll screen shot it for you if you like.

Reaction score
True. I was inferring that based on how it’s been talked about here.

But yeah, that kind of language to customer service people whether you think you directed it at them or not is also immature and worthy of getting banned.

Reaction score
I typed 2 curse words in a rather long message. Its not as if I was swearing like a sailor.

I still have those screen shots to prove it.