GG new helmet line

Reaction score
Question for VS

_DJ_ said:
So anyone heard anything from VS on this line?
NADA! I posted the question about the plan for the helmets twice in the Questions for VS thread and then in this thread on 3/2 with a specific reference to the TIE Pilot. No answers so far.

I would love to see this one too. It has been so close twice now that I think GG could hit one out of the park if they did it early in the cycle instead of more EPIII Clone repaints.

Reaction score
Re: Question for VS

I agree.

If GG started off with the goods right away this line would be a HUGE hit for them, like it started to be for MR. With all the stuff GG's been canceling you'd think they'd want a line that we as collectors want to pay for.

Only rehash I'd like to see right away would be the Shockie...if it was the same quality as MR's...since I never did get my hands on one.

Reaction score

Or even if they were going to recycle how about a Biggs Helmet, or a Jango helmet.

Reaction score

I'm a fan of this line as well, and really hope to see the Tie Fighter Pilot and others soon. I was able to get both the Utapau Shadow trooper and Shock Trooper in the MR line and like them. It took a bit to get these out of the UK to Texas, so I'm hoping they do not make reprints of these.

Reaction score
Boba86Solo said:
Nice thought, but really, what is going to bring in the money for breasts?!?
Im thinking a removeable top Oola Comic COn Variant (just like in the actual movie)

Reaction score

Answer from VS:

VinylSquirrel said:
spudmanski said:
Some questions regarding the scaled helmets:

What is their status beyond the pink and gold Vaders?

Do you have a timeframe when you will be announcing any new helmets?

Will GG be tackling the nearly completed twice before TIE Pilot?
We have at least 1 new helmet to announce for this year...coming soon!
Thank you VS. I'm looking forward to the TIE Pilot

Reaction score

when will the shocktrooper be re-released?

Reaction score
_DJ_ said:
Great looking custom Stormies, but not something I need to have.

Ok, so GG's offereing up two more versions of the old Riddell Vader mold, PINK and GOLD. Easy pass for me. (I'm getting the Rex mini bust...
..)

With so many options open for this line, it makes me wonder why GG has chosen the rehash route. Don't get me wrong, the rehashes work for exclusives and gifts but I'd like to see some NEW stuff from this line. I mean NEW and IMPROVED...after seeing the GG proto stuff way back when.

I think a little SHOCK & AWE from GG would bring life back to this once great collectible line. Maybe with a little something like this:

So anyone heard anything from VS on this line?
Funny you've posted this picture. That is actually my graphic work and original pictures of the Tie Fighter helmet submitted to me by Chris Reiff (the helmets' designer) when I created the Riddell Guide a few years ago. I had the pleasure of interviewing him, and in his own words, he had this comment to make about the TIE helmet and the Line:

" This was very close to going into production and got the plug pulled on it at the very last minute. I would have loved to see the line continue! "

Only 6 painted prototype copies of the TIE Fighter Pilot helmets were ever produced to be submitted for approval, just before the Line was axed. Even the Tech Sheet or blueprint (I have pics of it as well) showing interior components of the helmet was actually printed; one can clearly notice its complex internal mechanics. This small stock, was never made available for purchase.

So it would be truly awesome if Gentle Giant will actually make a long time dream come true and offer this scale helmet to us. It will certainly fuel attention towards that particular Line and will give way to a lot more never before seen releases for that scale. People have been longing for this one since forever.

Reaction score
You do awesome work LightSword.

Yeah that pic is from a Riddell SW mini helmet guide at Sandtroopers.com. There are a couple other pics of the Tie pilot mini and one is of the blue print.

I'd really like to see this one made, as well as other NEW and different mini helmets.

Reaction score
Well according to VS we should get an announcement soon on what the 1 helmet will be. Fingers crossed that it will be the TIE.

Of course, soon is a relative term and subject to interpretation.

Reaction score
spudmanski said:
Well according to VS we should get an announcement soon on what the 1 helmet will be. Fingers crossed that it will be the TIE.

Of course, soon is a relative term and subject to interpretation.
I would buy the TIE Fighter Pilot helmet. Hopefully they will be the same quality as Riddell or MR.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing the tie fighter pilot, though I am secretly hoping for a royal guard mini helmet...

Reaction score
I'd like to see anything NEW, as well as a re-release of a shocktrooper that is.

Unless they look like these:

Not a big fan of grainy paint aps, painted on visors or the extra wide visor on the Boba.

Reaction score
Yuck to the paint app on these scaled proto types. Just have to wait and see how the pink "breast cancer" and "gold PGM" vader helmets turn out.

Reaction score
So from the questions answered on GGC, my guess is that the new helmet is going to be Jango Fett. Darth Vader has alreday been done, so if it is someone's father I'm guessing Jango. It is an easy one for them to make off the Boba helmet.

Reaction score
It will be nice when GG decides to get serious about this line. Maybe they want to sell it to me, or get me to design it for them. I guess I will get to making my own custom Tie Pilot helmet.

Reaction score
I just read that on GGC. I will buy Jango, especially, if they get the chrome finish right.

But we really need that TIE Pilot. Perhaps they will announce at SDCC ... please!

Reaction score
spudmanski said:
But we really need that TIE Pilot. Perhaps they will announce at SDCC ... please!
Totally agree! Love the TIE Fighter Pilot and seems they already have the molds from Riddell...

Reaction score
When in the hell are these coming, its been at least a year now that we have found out that GG got the license to sell these and almost a year now since we seen them at Con...What gives GG? Are you going to kill this line before it even gets started again?

Reaction score
JediJimmie said:
_DJ_ said:
I've been out of it for awhile... did GG ever release these? The name block shows Fall '08. ???
No, GG hasn't released any of the mini helmets YET. They have a PINK Vader mini on the way, to help with breast cancer and is an SDCC exclusive. Plus they have a GOLD version Vader which is the alternate PGM gift to Rex.

Then there's the hint from VS that they have ONE helmat coming this year that is from someones father. Rumor has it that it must be Jango because Vaders already being done.

Reaction score
_DJ_ said:
No, GG hasn't released any of the mini helmets YET. They have a PINK Vader mini on the way, to help with breast cancer and is an SDCC exclusive. Plus they have a GOLD version Vader which is the alternate PGM gift to Rex.

Then there's the hint from VS that they have ONE helmat coming this year that is from someones father. Rumor has it that it must be Jango because Vaders already being done.
Cool, good stuff... thanks for the info! Having collected the MR mini helmets at one time, I'm excited for these to get some affordable helmets back into the collection display.

Reaction score
I'm waiting for some OT Imperial helmets, but I also hope for the quality Riddell or Master Replicas had with their mini-helmet line

Reaction score
Sergiu said:
I'm waiting for some OT Imperial helmets, but I also hope for the quality Riddell or Master Replicas had with their mini-helmet line
You know it!

Like I said before, a few times I am sure, in this topic "If what GG gives us looks like the protos they showed, this will be yet another SW line of items I will stop collecting."

And that's sad because the mini helmets had such potential with both Riddell and MR.

Reaction score
Here's the list I posted March 28th '08 on this very thread...

OT:
TIE Pilot
Biggs Darklighter (easy repaint)
Biker Scout
Snowtrooper
AT-AT Driver
Death Star Gunner
Death Star Trooper aka: Death Squad Commander
Royal Guard
AT-ST Driver

PT:
Bacarra
Cody
Neyo
Bly
327th Star Corps Felucia (easy repaint)
212th Attack Battalion Utapau (easy repaint)
2nd Airborne
Galactic Marine
Phase I clean
Phase I red
Phase I green
Phase I blue
Phase I green
Jango Fett (another easy repaint)
Phase I Clone Pilot
Phase II Clone Pilot
AT-RT Driver
Clone Scout Trooper aka: Kashyyyk Trooper

Reaction score
Nice list, Chuck. I'd buy quite a few of those... Biker Scout, Snowtrooper, and AT-AT Driver are at the top of my list.

Rod

Reaction score
I find it weird that GG has had this line "in the works" for so long, yet we still haven't seen the 1st of them to come out.

I guess with the pink Vader coming out at SDCC, we can say the line has started but with none of these pieces having yet even been solicited (which we all know means they are about 4-6 months from release), I can't help but wonder if this line just hasn't seen enough interest that GG will ever even produce it.

Reaction score
My guess is that they won't anytime soon, if at all. It's kind of depressing because there is enormous potential with all of the different helmets that they could make (and that I would buy). With these being such low price points, you would think that it would be less of an investment for them to produce. Who knows, maybe the larger scale ones make more profit for these companies based off of their markups. PLEASE GIVE ME MORE MINI HELMETS!!

Reaction score
I was hoping for the old TIE Fighter Pilot helmet too... Riddell had the prototype but didn't manage to make it, and neither MR. Maybe GG will

Reaction score
spudmanski said:
Here is a pic from the SDCC display of the gold Vader and the Jango.

And that's it!! Nothing else new for them to show - I'm distinctly unimpressed with what is effectively two repaints!

Reaction score
Lame!

So far it looks like GG's gonna run this line into the ground. What a waste.

Reaction score

Mehhhh....not so sure I wanna pick up this boring rehash. Maybe if I see it down around $10-$15 I might bite.

And why no dent? Would have given it a little extra oomph maybe.

Reaction score
Agree with you all. This is lame. I can see why GG would want to rehash/repaint Vader. But in order to energize the collectors they would need to do something Ridell and MR hadn't done with this scale. Just my 2 cents.