Gentle Giant: The Walking Dead

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures I've seen not really impressed with GG this year. Are they planning on showing more at some point? Only two new Walking Dead items. One new Marvel and nothing new for Hobbit. Sure we have finally gotten to see some busts that we only had drawings of before but really disappointed.
Yes. Underwhelmed by their presence this year. One has to wonder about the 3D Systems deal and if that somehow has changed everything.

Reaction score
This SDCC for GG has been like when you go buy a Roman candle to fire off and find out it's a dud.

Reaction score
You know, now that I think about it, I'm surprised we didn't get a minor character. You know, like Karen. Also with a "burned to death variant" as the SDCC exclusive.

Or maybe some 12 inch vintage style TWD action figures.

Reaction score
You know, now that I think about it, I'm surprised we didn't get a minor character. You know, like Karen. Also with a "burned to death variant" as the SDCC exclusive.

Or maybe some 12 inch vintage style TWD action figures.
LMAO!

Burned Karen variant....mwhahaha

Reaction score
On the Yodasnews video you get a very nice close up of Maggie.

Yeah it looks nothing much like Lauren Cohen in the face IMO.

Reaction score
Okay, those are better. I can see a bit of Lauren in those....

Drop the friggin' gun though. My God, the obsession GG has with blasters/guns. Not funny anymore.

BTW - did any of those silly Honey Trap statues EVER come out? Maggie looks like she belongs with those.

Wasn't Honey Trap GG's NEXT BIG THING? Like a comic or something to support it. Yeah right. Was ridiculous from the get go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My eyes are fine. It looks no better than a good cosplay Maggie. I guess my standards have just been raised over the years. It's decent, not an embarrassment, but it has no "wow factor" as far as likeness is concerned. I want a likeness as good as the Michonne bust, or even the Phillip bust. Anything less just isn't impressive to me.

Reaction score
My God, the obsession GG has with blasters/guns. Not funny anymore.
Except where it makes sense, like on the Carl bust. Then they just leave it out. Still irritated about that.

BTW - did any of those silly Honey Trap statues EVER come out? Maggie looks like she belongs with those.
Nailed it. Not even a pose Maggie would stand it. Looks very unnatural. Too dynamic, like something you'd see in a super hero movie or comic.

Reaction score
Not to be overly critical of GG, but this Maggie statue almost looks more like Andrea than Maggie. Not quite there ...

Reaction score
Not a collectible but I thought these pics of Maggie.....err Lauren, at SDCC would go down well. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
jaw....meet floor.

on another note, just noticed a pic on Yodasnews of a different Glenn portrait....this one had scratches/bruises on it, and it looked like there was extra armor on the shoulder (riot gear?). So the bust might be deluxe/exclusive? Definitely looks better than the "clean" one...its too babyface.

Heres the pic:

Last edited:
Reaction score
my guess before the con was a maggie bust, that would have been sweet, guess we end up with glenn. based on that pic above might answer what I was wondering: pgm direct version with riot-shield vest. GG seems to have exclusive edition for the main characters. hope it is, survival-mode version welcomed!

just saw the trailer link, omg awesome cant wait til Oct...

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being over critical of GG but I have to call it as I see it. Not impressed with the Maggie statue. I don't know, her nose is too wide or something, and she definitely does not sport the likeness of the Michonne and the Governor busts. The statue's pose does look more like it was meant to be part of their Honey Trap line than anything else, especially holding that big gun. Guns are indeed an obsession with GG, a throwback to my Hasbro years where every figure was given a gun. On the other hand, despite the many times myself and others commented here and in other forums about releasing Carl without a gun, it was chosen not to give him one because, according to what VS once said in the Q & A, it could be a negative influence on children. I just wonder how many children are buying the Carl bust? I don't know, but I feel since 3D Systems took over GG things did not improve but got worse instead.

Reaction score
Ding ding ding.

The 3D Systems deal has changed everything imo.

And Dreamwalker said it would be business as usual - riiiight.

Reaction score
according to what VS once said in the Q & A, it could be a negative influence on children. I just wonder how many children are buying the Carl bust?
Such a stupid excuse. (referring to them, LightSword, not you lol)

Reaction score
Such a stupid excuse. (referring to them, LightSword, not you lol)
No worries, VaderRx. I know exactly what you mean :)

However, going by some of the answers we've been given in the past, it seems to me some people do think that me, you and anyone else collecting for that matter, show some degree of stupidity. Take for instance some of the rhetoric we sometimes get: "AMC wanted it made this way, not us" - "It was Lucasfilm who did not approve it" - " The Well Walker has dark hair in the show if you look closely" - "AMC is sensitive to a child with a gun". If you are interested in going back almost a year, just take a look at any of these posts (2685, 2690, 2695, 2712, 2713, 2715, 2718) in the Q & A and the comments I received relating to the Carl bust, and issues with the Well Walker.

Throughout the many years we've been collecting GG, there's quite a bit to like about a good number of their releases. There are talented sculptors and designers working there, and some nice CS guys such as Jewell, Greg and Chris. It is the operating way of the company and their decision making that has ruined things for collectors so often, now even more after 3D Systems has taken over. Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
It seams to me that whoever is making the decisions needs to take a walk outside and look at the flowers. We should have gotten at least one WD exclusive bust, had a few WD, Hobbit and Marvel announcements even if they were just in sketch form. Only two new SW bust announcements and those are Leia and Luke (we just got Luke as a PGM bust move him to the back of the list for now). I'm happy that they got the G.I.Joe license (not going to pick it up) but how about focusing on the licenses you have already. What we saw was stuff that had been released at somepoint last year or the final sculpt of already announced items. Really, really disappointed. If its already out at LCS then it doesn't need to be at SDCC. Your fans have already seen it or already own it. SDCC IS THE TIME TO SHOW US WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN OVER THE NEXT YEAR! Just seams that they are missing the boat.

Oh, JangO thanks for the Lauren pictures!

Last edited:
Reaction score
did they not bring the Carl bust to show at the con? isnt it due out around sept - was hoping to see finished pics of this piece.

Reaction score
My frustration level at GG and this particular showing at San Diego Comic Con reached it's peak.

I simply can't ....err, won't support this line anymore. A shame, as the Michonne and Governor bust are very impressive pieces. But then, when sat alongside a poor likeness of Daryl, soon to be Carl without his gun, **** poor representation of Walkers, shall I go on, it just brings them down.

Patiently we sat and awaited a reveal of a SDCC exclusive, and were all let down. Gentle Giant blew it. Plain and simple. I have no clue what goes through their heads, ever. Biggest show on television with Season 5 about to roll out in three months and they show up at the BIGGEST event of pop culture - with a shabby, plain Glenn & a Honey Trapesque statue of Maggie. That's it fans, there you go.

After bailing from their Star Wars license (11 years or so strong), I approached TWD product with excitement. Poor decision Beek.

The one bit of good news, I should make some nice $$$ on a few of these Web Direct versions.

Anyone here in need of the two Walkers that are out?

Reaction score
On a positive note(for me anyways), I bought season 3 on blu-ray last night so tonight I will be starting my first time viewing! I'm stoked!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
My frustration level at GG and this particular showing at San Diego Comic Con reached it's peak.

I simply can't ....err, won't support this line anymore. A shame, as the Michonne and Governor bust are very impressive pieces. But then, when sat alongside a poor likeness of Daryl, soon to be Carl without his gun, **** poor representation of Walkers, shall I go on, it just brings them down.

Patiently we sat and awaited a reveal of a SDCC exclusive, and were all let down. Gentle Giant blew it. Plain and simple. I have no clue what goes through their heads, ever. Biggest show on television with Season 5 about to roll out in three months and they show up at the BIGGEST event of pop culture - with a shabby, plain Glenn & a Honey Trapesque statue of Maggie. That's it fans, there you go.

After bailing from their Star Wars license (11 years or so strong), I approached TWD product with excitement. Poor decision Beek.

The one bit of good news, I should make some nice $$$ on a few of these Web Direct versions.

Anyone here in need of the two Walkers that are out?
Maybe I should mind my own business, but I hate to see a dedicated collector quit something he likes, and so here I am, with my take on this...

I can see how much you are into the show, the books and the collectibles: think it twice before calling it quits. We all know how upsetting and frustrating GG's decision making could be at times, but it isn't anything new either. I think that no matter how deep or superficially involved we get with their product, issues such as what happened at SDCC, delays and what have you, are all part of collecting their product and are to be expected. Don't look at it as being a supporter of their product and being let down, but rather as someone simply buying something you like whenever it becomes available. As a follow up to your own Colony House signature ..

Day by day, night by night
Take it slow, it's alright
Don't give up before you try
Come on brother, it's alright

Reaction score
I second what LS said bro. Don't leave us! This is the apocalypse. We have to stick together.

Rod

Reaction score

Took you this long?

DarthBeek said:
...and were all let down. Gentle Giant blew it. Plain and simple. I have no clue what goes through their heads, ever.

And this is new? Rhetorical question of course...

I still lurk here....I still admire a good amount of the pieces that GG puts put but their business practices and decision making turns me off in such a way that I just don't sweat it anymore. I just bought the Iron Patriot bust on Amazon on sale a few months ago.

But lets look back....forget the Star Wars line, the one that pretty much got them on the map. Did anybody here see GG's first Lord of the Rings line and think they had struck gold again? Then the items started coming out.... Frodo and Sam in Orc disguise? They missed the boat in such a way with the LOTR line that. I even wonder if they might have been trying to get on the boat at the airport and just couldn't find the right "dock". No Legolas? Gimly? regular Frodo? Sam?

Walking Dead is another example that fans are living through right now but regardless of if you are a Marvel fan or not, the popularity of the Marvel movies can't be denied.....then add to that the long standing history and vast universe of characters that can be pulled from for Marvel products.

I'd say Marvel is probably the modern day equivalent of what Star Wars was in the merchandising world in the late 70s and early 80s. Plastic gold. Yet what does GG do?

Iron Man movie? Nothing
Thor? Just one Thor bust.
Captain America: The First Avenger? Just the main Captain America bust
Iron Man 2? Nothing
Avengers? The #3 top grossing movie of all time? All they did was Iron Man and Hulk. Seriously?
Iron Man 3? They did Iron Patriot and showed statues of some others....still not convinced we will see them all go to production.
Thor: The Dark World? Npthing.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Two statues that retail over $400 and a shield bookend?
Guardians of the Galaxy? Just Rocket? I mean if there was ever a time to pump GotG products this SDCC would have been perfect timing.

What are they thinking?

and with all the movies Marvel has announced and GG has nothing to show from Marvel movies at GG besides some weird Iron Man statue repaint?

I could go on and on......now you see why I rarely post anymore? But hey at least they are starting a new line.... 12" vintage reissues of the 1980s G.I.Joe toy line. LOL.