Gentle Giant - 12" Jumbo Vintage Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars Figures

Reaction score

"Secret Wars was a 12 part series from Marvel Comics that introduced the character of The Beyonder to the Marvel Universe. The Beyonder, assembles a planet from chunks of other planets and dubs it "Battleworld". He then kidnaps several heroes and villains from Earth, and transplants them on Battleworld to fight for The Beyonder's amusement. During this storyline, Spiderman discovers his black suit within alien technology that he finds on Battleworld. This suit would go on to not only redefine Spiderman, but become one of his worst enemies as the villain Venom!

The Secret Wars event crossed over several Marvel Comics titles from May of 1984 to April of 1985. The series was tied into the immensely popular Secret Wars action figure collection. Each figure included their signature lenticular shield that was unique to the series. The line spawned 2 series of figures, as well as vehicles and playsets.

Digitally scanned from the original Mattel Secret Wars figures and reproduced in 12” scale, no detail has been overlooked. Roto and injection molded and made of durable plastics, this fully-articulated jumbo figure includes a faithfully re-produced lenticular shield.

To further capture the vintage feel, Gentle Giant has packaged this figure with a Secret Wars-inspired backer card featuring original photos and artwork. Designed with the collector in mind, the figure comes in a re-sealable plastic outer clam shell to help protect and display this limited edition figure."

Black Costume Spiderman (Secret Wars)

Last edited:
Reaction score
man, tempting, but those things take up so much space...not to mention the jarring reality of the price of those vs. the prices on things like the Jakks 20"/31" figures. I loved the Secret Wars line and still have some of mine from when I was a kid, but seeing this just makes me want to track down the rest of the set (minus the Euro exclusives) rather than plunking down $90 for larger versions. Gentle Giant probably would have snared me if they'd made jumbo-sized Marvel Mego Pocket Superheroes, though. :grin:

Reaction score
man, tempting, but those things take up so much space...not to mention the jarring reality of the price of those vs. the prices on things like the Jakks 20"/31" figures. I loved the Secret Wars line and still have some of mine from when I was a kid, but seeing this just makes me want to track down the rest of the set (minus the Euro exclusives) rather than plunking down $90 for larger versions. Gentle Giant probably would have snared me if they'd made jumbo-sized Marvel Mego Pocket Superheroes, though. :grin:
I may​ have a hard time not getting Doom and Iron Man.

Reaction score
I'd like to get this line, but I had to bail on their Jumbo SW versions for 2 reasons....

1. Space. As stated, they take up SO much space for display. I couldn't possibly have enough room to display them all. So I got the first 12 and a few favorites.
2. The cost. They're way too expensive. They should have a cost of $50 MAX. They cost GG very little to produce as they require NO sculpting and almost no research.

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but if you're looking for a figure of a modern-day character that oozes a "Mattel Secret Wars" vibe, this Miles Morales figure is awesome...and $92 cheaper than the GG Deadpool:

I grabbed this months ago, and even after the recent avalanche of Marvel Legends goodness, he remains my favorite action figure purchase of 2015 so far.

Reaction score
I am very impressed with the Captain America they just announced. Next July is a long time to wait though.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Which figures did Gentle Giant end up doing for this line? I see these for sale out there now...

Black Spider-Man
Red/Blue Spider-Man
Hobgoblin
Wolverine
Deadpool
Magneto
Captain America