Genesis ov Thee room...

Reaction score
First off I have had not had my stuff on display for over four years...I moved from NC and bought a house and I promised my wife that I would get the rest of the house remodeled before I started on Thee room...
...about a year ago we got water in our basement and had to gut the whole basement so that put off my geek room yet again...
..well we are finally wrapping up finishing the basement and the time had come to begin work in the Star Wars room...Since we had water damage the old berber carpet was removed...the room its self as well as the rest of the house was trapped in the 70s..."Thee room" had inch thick barn siding as paneling...it had a 3x5 window in it towards the front of the house...the ceiling tile looked like some kind of moon scape and was white and hung down further than the tracks...the tracks were a wood grain patteren and the lighting in the room was a single can light in the center and a 3 foot flourscent light hanging over a homemade "desk" type thing along one wall...

The roughly 13x13 room was gutted...the carpet came out...the "desk" was ripped out...the barn siding paneling was cut out with a sawsall right at the edge of the border of the ceiling tile tracks (if we tried to remove it all the ceiling tile track would have to be replaced because it would have been an inch short all the way around)...the ceiling tiles were removed...the flourecent light was removed...the closet doors were removed...the hollow core door and door jam were removed...I even removed all the electrical oultets switches and covers...I started thee process of remodeling about two months ago...I really only get to work on it on the weekends and for a few hours a week depending on how taxing my real work day went...
The new door jam and door(not pictured) are an exterior steel door with a regular lock and a dead bolt for extra security...

The far wall had a ledge that didnt stick out far enough to really put anything on...I used a couple of shelves from an IKEA shelving display I had to make a larger more useful shelf...there will be a black love seat in the middle underneath the shelf...

The reason the shelf does not go all the way to the edge of the wall is that the two glass display cases (shown below shown semi covered...you can see a gunship at the bottom of one)open in the front by sliding the front glass left or right...the cases will be towards the rear if the room on either side...so the self was left short on both ends so I could open the display case doors...

This wall did have a 3ft x 5ft window in the middle of it...windows = light...and we know we wouldnt want any light coming in and messing things up in this room...it also allows me more room to hang the framed posters I have...the reason there is light showing on the one end of the wall is because the display cases are self lighted...

Here we have a lovely water meter poking out of the wall...made a nice cover for it that I can remove if the meter man stops by...out of sight out of mind...

This is the closet that is going to end up as a desk/work station/entertainment center...I plan on mounting a flat screen TV on the back wall of the closet...the black wire to the right is the TV cable...if you look close on the left inside of the closet you can see brackets where the shelves will be...there will be shelves on either side...pictured below this image are pics of the actual desk and shelves that will go in here...

This is how I found the left side of the inside of this closet...I guess it was left exposed so the pipes wouldnt freeze or perhaps the previous owner had the pipe repaired and was to lazy to fix it...anyway I made covers for it out of peg board (pictured below)... so if they were exposed to keep them from freezing the holes in the peg board will let some heat still get in there...

The next two images are of the lighting installed and the black ceiling tiles...
..again the display cases are self lighted and only leave about two inches from the top to the ceiling so there was no point in installing lights above them...
Left side wall as you enter the room...

This is a better image of the lights on the back wall as you enter the room...I already have three (3 x 3) shadow box type cases (IKEA wall mounted CD/DVD storage cases) that will go on this wall...

Right side of the room as you enter room lighting...

Close up of the lighting and the black ceiling tiles and the hand painted ceiling tile tracks...remember these were wood grain...

Lighting in the work station/library/entertainment center...I had a switch and plug installed inside the closet so these could be turned when all the other lights are out...the second image is a close up of the lights installed inside the closet...

This image is of the painted heat vent and covers for my mood lighting...the blue glass was custom made from a shop that makes stained glass windows...

This was the only light left from the original room...I wanted to have some mood lighting in the room apart from the harsh white...I wanted to have two of them to give it some symmetry...I wanted a soft blue glow in the room with all other lights off...for watching movies/playing video games etc...I got the blue glass because the original white glass was to much of a contrast to the black ceiling...the blue glass wasnt dark enough with the light on and I could still see the white interior of the light casing even with the blue light off...so I used black BBQ grill paint to spray the inside of the existing white inner casing of the light...now the blue lights blends in better with the black ceiling even when off...I still think Im going to get blue bulbs because you can still bairly see the white light bulbs through the glass when they are off...

Its kinda hard to see with this image...but the blue lights give the whole room a nice dim creepy blue look to the whole room...and it gives off enough light that you can still see things just fine...

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
..."Thee room" had inch thick barn siding as paneling...it had a 3x5 window in it towards the front of the house...the ceiling tile looked like some kind of moon scape and was white and hung down further than the tracks...the tracks were a wood grain patteren and the lighting in the room was a single can light in the center and a 3 foot flourscent light hanging over a homemade "desk" type thing along one wall...

[/QUOTE]

Wow...Are you trying to make people cry or something?
Its deffintly came a long way, and deffintly hands down for the better. Makes me want to start on my room!

EDIT - Post #666.

Reaction score
The original post has been EDITED to add the dialoge for different steps of Thee Process...

Thanks fellas for the kudos...

jodo said:
Wow...Are you trying to make people cry or something?
Honestly Jodo...Im not trying to one up anyone or try to make anyone jealous...Ive collected for a long time and as a home owner now...I finally have a chance to build a room and do what I want to it...

...I hope that everyone enjoys what Im doing and realizes that Ive waited a very very long time to do this...

...and remember I also promised the hot chick that I would remodel the rest of the house before I would even start this project...

Reaction score
No, I meant like scare evryone into tears!
I know you've been waiting for something like this, its shaping up too!

Reaction score
Hey fellas...
I thought I might post a few pics of my collection...most of it is still in boxes... most everything is loose and packed away...

The electrician finished up today...so I just have a few small things left to finish up before carpet can be put down and I can move the cabinets in...

Reaction score
Friggen' Imperials.
Looks awsome, can't wait to see more!!!!
What are all the posters?

Reaction score
Very nice.....thanks for the idea on what to do with the water meter also. In my new house, I finally get a Star Wars room, and I have the same obstruction, so thanks for the way to get around it.

Reaction score
Thanks again for the kind words fellas...

Its been killing me having all my stuff in boxes for so long...its going to be kind of like X-mas when I finally do get to go through everything...Im sure Ive forgotten alot of stuff I have...so it will be nice to see it again...

All of my figures are loose and in those small food containers you see on the very top of the tubs with the blue lids...about 10 to 15 figures will fit into one of these...and if you look real close you can see the containers with the loose figures through the hole in the large box that says HONDA on it...that box is full...

Jodo...those posters are evil posters ov course...

jerry1138...the cover that was on there was huge and looked horrible...it was way to big for what it was for...in fact if you look again at the pic you can see the outline on the floor of where the old cover was...the one I made was an exact fit...it only has three sides but fits on the meter just right so that it doesnt wobble and I can put things on it without it tipping over...its still an eye sore...but now rather than being a giant zit its just a blemish...

Im glad you liked the idea and I hope it works as well for your room...

Reaction score
TIE_Pilot23 said:
Jodo...those posters are evil posters ov course...
I had wondered if you where hiding your "I Love JarJar" posters back there.

Reaction score
Glad to hear that the room is coming along great! I'm getting very anxious to see the end result!!

Reaction score
Alright...I think we have the majority of Thee room completed...My wife and I worked all weekend doing the finishing touches...
We had three things that were going to be a pain...and we left them for last because they were going to be tough...

First off...there was an electrical outlet and switch that were loose in the wall...they were loose because the contractor left the housings unfinished and filled the edges with drywall mud and tape...so if you tried to screw them in there was nothing for the screws to hang on to...he also left one of the housings outside of the hole...you can see where the mud was cracking and falling away...

I decided to make an oversized template out of a solid piece of that wood that the peg board is made of...its pretty strong yet fairly thin and would give me something to screw the outlets and switches into securely...

I painted the piece and then used a dremmel tool to drill out the holes I needed...

Heres the end of the process...I think it turned out okay...

...painted the screw tips grey and this project is done...

The next project was the television cable though the ceiling tile...I didnt want to just drill a hole and run it through the tile...you would have been able to see the grey fiber of the material the tile was made of...and you could have made the hole bigger or ripped through the tile if the cable was pulled...so I wanted something to work as a sleve that the cable could go through and I could push into the tile itself to give it strengh...
Here were the three things I was going to try using...

I ended up using the one on the top...I cut off a section that was just a little bigger than the thickness of the ceiling tile so it wouldnt rub the edges of the top and bottom...

The final pain in the butt was the heat vent in the ceiling...this project was mainly done by my wife...If I would have done it it would have taken two weeks and I probably would have smashed something...

Here are a few quck pics of the rest of the completed projects...
The peg board pieces I made to cover the exposed pipe in the closet...

The shelves in the closet...

The blue mood lighting...with the blue "party" bulbs...so now you cant see the bulbs with these lights off and the other lights on in thee room...

The black carpet gets installed tomorrow...

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>

[/QUOTE]

*flashes back to when I was abducted by aliens....*

Explains alot, hu?
It looks awsome TIE, I love the pegboard in the closet, and it all looks realy good. Can't wait to see more pics!!!

Reaction score
Looking great Tie! Loving the creative mind you have
Looks like things are coming along great moving right along towards the end result!! Can't wait to see more!!

Reaction score
Carpet trauma:

I was as gitty as a school girl yesterday when my wife called me to let me know that the carpet guys were done...I even did a "I got new black carpet" dance at work to the tune of the "I am evil Homer" dance from the Simpsons...

I got home...and ran down the stairs like a kid at x-mas turned on the light....and the grinch stole x-mas...

The tack strip was over an inch away from the wall..it should be 3/8 of an inch or finger tip distance from the wall..this made the edge of the carpet slant down towards the wall...
I asked for a thin pad under the carpet I measured 1/2 inch padding...
Several areas the carpet was not even stuck to the tackstrips...
One side had 11...yes...11 dime size bald spots along the edge of the carpet...
The same side had what I thought was the carpet not sticking to the tack strip...it turned out that the tack strip ws not secured to the floor at all...
There were several areas where the carpet was cut wrong leaving the floor exposed...

I stayed up past 11:00P.M. drinking whiskey ( to calm me down ) and going over everything with a fine tooth comb...

There were other flaws I found...but I think you get my point...I have never installed carpet...but I think I could have drank the whole bottle of Jameson and did a better job...

Needless to say I made a punch list of all the problems...and had my wife call the carpet folks...(if I would have called there would have cussing and death threats)...plus as a office manager for a contractor she knows how to talk with these people...

...I just got a call from my wife... she is having the owner of the company coming over tonight when she gets off work and before I get home to look at this mess...

Reaction score
Ouch
Sorry to hear that Tie. I hope everything gets worked out and fixed!

Reaction score
...I guess the wife took care of business...she had the owner and his son meet her at the house over lunch...they agree with us on all points...the son himself will be back at our house tomorrow to take the mess out and he personally will be back Friday morning to do it over again...

Reaction score
So then who did the actual installing last time? It wasn't the son, was it? I'm guessing not. Hope it turns out fine (keeping my fingers crossed!)

Reaction score
I guess it was a couple of worker monkeys...
The son did not do the install...the owner is trying to retire and is giving the business over to the son...I guess hes been working for the dad for many years...since he was a kid...kind of working his way up the experience ladder...but no...the son was not there...

On a side note...I guess the son was telling my wife that they could come back next week to take care of it and the father/owner stopped him and told him it would be done by the end of this week...

Reaction score
Yeah, glad the father is keeping him in check! Sometimes, when the son is "lazy" or "unmotivated", it comes from the father and how he runs his business. Definitely good that he cares about the image of his company (as all owners should be) and got on his son! Let us know how it turns out!!

Reaction score
Well the son was at my house over lunch...the carpet...pad...and tack strips were completly removed...he moved the tack strips the 3/8 in from the walls and will be back tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM to install the pad I wanted and to put some new carpet back in...

Reaction score
As I respond to my last post I regain the rank of Dork...

I went out of town to a wedding/reception and...to hang out in a kilt for the weekend...

The carpet update is as follows...
The son came to our house friday AM and was out before 11...It was perfect...everything that was bringin out the Irish in me with the previous install was cool again...

I know weve seen these before but here are a couple shots of the floor without carpet...I didnt take any of the bad install...

This is what it looks like now...some of these shots have the base leaning against the wall...

Dont mind the hand painted with a brush...entrance to the closet there fellas...
...I would love to repaint that...

Heres the carpet and the black ceiling together...

The base and the desk/workstation should be done this weekend...its going to be fun trying to wedge the desktop through the closet doors...without hitting the ceiling tiles...

Reaction score
Well the cold of winter has me back in Thee Room...I dont have anything on display really at this point...I was sidetracked this summer with someting with two wheels...

I chose to work on Thee Room over chasing my wife with an axe through the maze in the back yard...

Here is the work area with the desk...

Heres one of the two cabinets in place...

Here are the three 3x3 Ikea cd cases...

The CD cases have been hung and I got some simple black shelves at Target and cut them off on the ends to fit inbetween them...

My wife and I finished putting up the framed pics on the walls today...
Left side as you enter...

Right side as you enter...

Signed Bradstreets...

Im waiting for some glass Im having made for the desktop and the tops of the shelves in the work space and then I get to start opening stuff and putting it in display...

Reaction score
That is absolutly AWSOME Pat.
I love this pic. :

Someday I'd realy like to have a set up like that. Your doing a realy awsome job putting Thee room together, I can't wait to see the finished pictures.

I guess I need to take a look at the Ikea site for some glass shelves.
Also, I love the two shelves inbetween the cases!

Reaction score
Having a room is awesome...great job on yours...most of the fun is setting it up....I keep changing my set up just for fun and for cleaning.

Reaction score
I got the shelf and desk glass Monday and finished putting them on last night...
I still have to clean all the glass for the large cabinets and then I think Ill finally be able to play with my toys...

Ill spare you a pic of the new glass...I was happy with it...