General Feedback part 3

Reaction score
I guess I'll continue the topic from the previous thread and say it was absolutely awesome to hear Pete's voice back on the Force-Cast! Plus, I couldn't have picked a better way than a technical snafu to welcome him back for the episode, George Lucas couldn't have scripted it better himself. It sounds like Pete has been doing good since he left the show, and I hope that it remains that way for him.

Thanks for coming back Pete, even just for one episode, it was a great break from all my homework to hear your thoughts once again!

Reaction score
It was great to hear Pete (even with the gremlins). And I don't know how long the glitches kept us from hearing what was going on, but we were so excited to hear Pete, many of us hung on until the LIVE show came back. It was a great pick-me-up in the middle of the week. Fantastic!

Reaction score
Hearing Pete again was a refreshing change, both because he had been off the show for so long and because he had some great comments. Pete gave us insightful commentary about the episode, mixed with hilarity both on topic and off. Pete is the man, and I hope we hear more from him sometime soon.

Reaction score
As much as I love the Force-Cast, I really don't have two hours to dedicate to it or any other podcast. I'd really like it if the length of the show went back to being about an hour long.

Reaction score
Pimpimus_Prime said:
As much as I love the Force-Cast, I really don't have two hours to dedicate to it or any other podcast. I'd really like it if the length of the show went back to being about an hour long.
That's the thing about podcasts: it's listen-on-demand, but only if you have the time. It's tough to fit in a two-hour podcast, especially if you watch or listen to other podcasts as well. But the Force-Cast has so much to cover and so many great segments that it would be impossible to go to an hour-long show. Maybe you could try listening to it in sections.

Reaction score
I agree. I don't always have time to listen to a full show... but then I don't always have time to listen to the micro micro casts. But I love the long shows! the longer the better!!

I can't always listen to a whole live show, but I download it, or stream it later. I listen when I can and stop when I have to and go back. Once it took me a whole week to get through a show! lol but that's just my opinion of course.

That's the great thing about listening to it after or downloading it to a player. It will always be there when you have time for it. I was months behind once, I just plugged away at it.

And I remember when there wasn't anything to report, so woo!! for too much news!

Reaction score
Pimpimus_Prime said:
My wife and I like to listen to each FC episode on the weekend during breakfast. So I very rarely listen to the show live on Wednesday nights.

It's just more convenient for us, and allows us to pause the show in case something comes up (phone rings, dogs need to go out, etc).

But we really do enjoy the 2 hour time length. Given all of the mainstay segments that we have all come to love in the show, it would be extremely difficult to cut any of them out for time constraints IMO.

Reaction score
MasterRawas said:
Just wanted to give props and congrats to Jimmy Mac for his newly-minted Modship. It certainly took the RS admins long enough.
well, i guess I might as well...

What's a mod?!!!!!

Reaction score
Congrats Jimmy!

and snicker Cramer... some one had to do it. :p

Reaction score
I'm just waiting on the inevitable power struggle to occur. What happens when JGordon tries to wrench control of the FC Forums from JediJustin, whose side will Jason and Jimmy end up on in the FC Civil War...

only kidding of course
We love our Mods and there pretty ban-hammers too

Reaction score
Murray1134 said:
What happens when JGordon tries to wrench control of the FC Forums from JediJustin, whose side will Jason and Jimmy end up on in the FC Civil War...
We could just let the courts decide.

No, wait, we know from Episode One how inefficient the courts can be.

Sounds like you'd need someone to make an *Executive* decision.

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is it too early for a Vote of No Confidence?

Reaction score
Jovial_Jay said:
Is it too early for a Vote of No Confidence?
Hey, go back to your advance readers' copy of the next FOTJ book. I'm too jealous of that to even think up a witty response to your post.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the free audible download? I started to sign up for the 14 day free trial, but ended with it wanted my credit card information. Jason said it wasn't like the CD scams, but I can't go by that alone incase he is mistaken himself

Reaction score
Cramer said:
Has anyone tried the free audible download? I started to sign up for the 14 day free trial, but ended with it wanted my credit card information. Jason said it wasn't like the CD scams, but I can't go by that alone incase he is mistaken himself
I can vouch for Audible's legitimacy. They've had my financial information for months, because I have the Gold Plan. I get one book a month and they bill the book credit to my debit card. I feel completely safe with this. I'd highly recommend them.

Reaction score
I'm sure it's safe, but I'm not comfortable with the wording of the '14 day free trial'

everything like that will start billing after the grace period. i've been burned too many a time

Reaction score
Cramer said:
I'm sure it's safe, but I'm not comfortable with the wording of the '14 day free trial'

everything like that will start billing after the grace period. i've been burned too many a time
Of course it starts billing right after the grace period. That's how trials work. How is that getting burned?

Reaction score
Sometimes with these places you try and cancel before the 14 day trial is over and they don't process the cancellation and start charging you. I've been in a few things like this and it takes forever to try and cancel. I have to say, that's why I'm still thinking about it to.

I was hoping it was like a book store. I go in buy a book if I want to and that's it. The 'trial' puts me off as well.
I may change my mind. I keep wavering.

Reaction score
MasterRawas said:
Cramer said:

Of course it starts billing right after the grace period. That's how trials work. How is that getting burned?
Cuz Jason said it was one free download, unlike the CD clubs that start charging you after the grace period. So, it's not free. It's got more strings attached than my guitar.

No thanks on the sponsor this time. If I want an audio book, even though I'd rather read the book, i'll sign up and pay a little to support the show, if it makes any difference in what they see as the ad source

Reaction score
Cramer said:
MasterRawas said:
Cramer said:

Cuz Jason said it was one free download, unlike the CD clubs that start charging you after the grace period. So, it's not free. It's got more strings attached than my guitar.

No thanks on the sponsor this time. If I want an audio book, even though I'd rather read the book, i'll sign up and pay a little to support the show, if it makes any difference in what they see as the ad source
Just so you know, you can keep the free book. If you start the trial, download the book, and cancel before the trial ends, you can still listen to the book forever.

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I signed up on 3/30, when the guys had the first sponsorship. I downloaded a book after filling out all the info and putting my CC info in. I then canceled it on 4/2, following their steps. To date, they have not charged me.

I believe what Jason said to be accurate, as they allowed me to cancel after a free download "with no further strings" such as having to buy 5 more downloads, or something -- like the Book/CD clubs.

They still have my CC info, and I still have an account to login to the site, but I'm not paying for a monthly membership. That's what gives me the monthly credits. With my account I can just buy the books outright if I want.

Reaction score
Jovial_Jay said:
I signed up on 3/30, when the guys had the first sponsorship. I downloaded a book after filling out all the info and putting my CC info in. I then canceled it on 4/2, following their steps. To date, they have not charged me.

I believe what Jason said to be accurate, as they allowed me to cancel after a free download "with no further strings" such as having to buy 5 more downloads, or something -- like the Book/CD clubs.

They still have my CC info, and I still have an account to login to the site, but I'm not paying for a monthly membership. That's what gives me the monthly credits. With my account I can just buy the books outright if I want.
Thanks for the info! That does make me feel a bit better about it

Reaction score
That's what i needed to hear for sure.

Eric, take my persistance as a lesson in not trusting anyone. When you go to college and start putting your credit cards and SS number on everything, you'll have to watch like a hawk. I have to make at least one phone call a month to either att, dish network, student loans, car insurance, etc because they 'accidently' over charge. People who don't watch out will pay it and not notice.

Reaction score
first, let me say that i have been listening to the forcecast for about 2 years now, and have looked forward to every new episode and minicast... but... after the latest episode (4/24/09) i just have to say something about the road it has been following lately. the forcecast is turning into a parody of a bad 'crazy' morning radio show. its all about jimmy mac and how many voices he can do, and jason laughing hysterically at every single word jimmy says. its getting really annoying. its now the 'jimmy mac comedy hour'. i enjoyed jimmy when he was on the podcast from time to time, but a little of him goes a longgggggg way. I am listening to the show right now and just as i write this jimmy says 'do you want to hear my bob hope' and proceeds to do a bob hope impersonation and jason is laughing his head off. please, please tone it down a few notches.

I do appreciate the hard work you guys do to produce the podcast, and I am still an avid listener, I am just expressing my opinion about something that has been bothering me.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Welcome rocksoldier!

I know what you are saying, the last episode was especially silly. It tends to happen when the news is a little light. They are scoring some great interviews though

Reaction score
I personally love the banter. One of the reasons I love the Force Cast is because it feels like me and my buds just hanging out and talking about Star Wars and occasionally going off on a fun tangent. Anyway, Welcome rocksoldier. Your opinion is always welcome.

Reaction score
Hi rocksoldier, nice to meet you

I see what you mean. Humor is quite sensitive and depends so much on the persons involved that it can't be universal.
And the more humor there is, the more chances there are to please some people, and the more risk to disappoint others.

I am more receptive to the spontaneous humor, created on the fly rather than the "you're going to laugh in 3, 2, 1 ...", but I'm just this one Jawa in a crowd of Humans

Reaction score
Welcome, rocksoldier. We're a rather diverse group here. Some like some things others don't. And there are lots of Jawas roaming these parts...

I know the Force-Cast gets silly sometimes, but I get a kick out of it. Each incarnation of the show has some distinctly different aspects, I can appreciate each of them in its own way. I liken it to the various areas of the country (world?). I grew up in the Appalachians, later lived in Mississippi's forests, Florida's beaches, Texas's flatlands, Connecticut's cold, and now in L.A. (Lower Alabama). Each had its unique flavor, and I could appreciate them all (except too much cold -- anything below 72F is call for a jacket).

I, for one, get a kick out of mowing the lawn or shopping on Fridays with a goofy grin on my face that makes people wonder what in the world I'm listening to -- then they really wonder when I laugh or argue out loud with the "voices in my head". Lots of fun -- and it's all Star Wars (except for the parts that aren't)!

Satka said:
I am more receptive to the spontaneous humor, created on the fly rather than the "you're going to laugh in 3, 2, 1 ...", but I'm just this one Jawa in a crowd of Humans
I sometimes even like the countdown. More a countdown to rants than laughs, but a countdown, nonetheless...
Like this one!

Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from Rocksoldier (and welcome! what's been keeping you?)
I think like every great show, tv or radio, after a while it starts to evolve and get more stream lined and the characters know their roles better. The show has always gotten gradually better and more professional, then with the exit of Pete it had to scramble a bit to find it's new self. So maybe it's not a straight laced news tidbit after news tidbit like others. I've listened to some other Star Wars podcasts...snoooooze.

I for one loved last weeks show more than any. I laughed my [censored] off and it really put me in a good mood, which is great cuz I've been layed off work for the past two weeks.
Personally, I'm also the joke cracking wise --- in the room and I can't stand long moments of seriousness, so I can only encourage Jimmy to do more Kirsh and Archie voices.

my 2 cents. oh wait I might need to save those

Reaction score
thanks for the kind welcome, and for not ripping me apart like they would on a lot of other forums.

i appreciate that everyone has a different sense of humor, and I guess that Jimmy just rubs me the wrong way. i just get the feeling like he is forcing (no pun intended) his humor into the show. like it is the first priority for him (jokes and voices first, Star Wars discussion second). and Jason has become the sidekick whos first job is to laugh at anything Jimmy says. Personally, I just prefer the news and interviews aspect of the show.

thanks again for the warm welcome.

Reaction score
I think the amount of time and work Jimmy puts in especially regarding Lucasfilm access, the quality of the interviews with it’s creators, and his amazing audio work, easily makes up for any cheese you happen not to like - but is found in what is otherwise our irreplaceable (Big) Mac.

Podcasting is different than Broadcast anyhow – you’re closer to the hosts if you want to be and therefore more forgiving of any quirks. Just like friends.

P.S. I think he’s pretty hilarious 90% of the time - the other 10% is made up of charming attempts.

And yes welcome to the friendliest gathering of SW fans you'll ever find. But be warned we too can spew the odd cornball comment (case in point - Big Mac?! sheeessh)