GenCon Shady, Amending Their C3 Web Site "FAQ"s

Reaction score
Re: GenCon Shady, Amending Their C3 Web Site \"FAQ\"

Ya know, the more I ponder this "celebration," the more I think that admission to the joint should have been completely free. And then some of the things should have been free as well, like the Scalper Hall, the hall with the life-size X-Wing and dioramas etc. And then start charging admission on a sliding scale to the various presentations. $5 for Star Wars One Man Show, Star Wars in 30 Minutes, Collecting Panels, and other "lesser" shows. And then charge more for Warwick Davis, more for Rick McCallum, and even more for Lucas. There's no reason at all that you should have to pay $110 (or $40 for one day) to wait in line all day for the lame Archives, or to shop in the Scalper Hall. Wholly and utterly lame, this "celebration" was.

Reaction score

Do you have any idea what it costs to rent an entire convention center for 5-6 days? Try it some time and see how many people you can let in for free.

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
Do you have any idea what it costs to rent an entire convention center for 5-6 days? Try it some time and see how many people you can let in for free.
Hey, that's fine. But nothing, nothing there warranted $110 admission fee. Not individiually, or the sum of all the parts.

Ya, I can tell you've "been on the other side of the rope."

In a way, it's like those old, sad, 30 somethings and older who go to their alma mater's football games and tailgate, and wear their stupid team sweatshirts. Reality: Your alma mater does not care about you in any way. They do care about your pocketbook.

Allegiance to facilities and phenomena are puzzling.

Reaction score

Personally, I had no problem with admissions charges. I felt they were fair and provided a decent ROI (return on investment) IF the con were to be smoothly run. I do, however, have several issues with how the Convention was run, particularly the Celebration Store and Celebration @ Celebration III. That and the attitudes of many of the GenCon people working the show were less than desirable.

LFL would be better to go another route with CIV.

Reaction score

You could say the same thing about anything in life - Hollywood doesn't care about you, so why go see movies? Major League Baseball doesn't care about you - why go to games? OPEC doesn't care about you - why buy gas? The company you work for doesn't care about you (unless you work for yourself) - so why work there?

I went to C3, and I gladly forked over my $95 (bought my pass in advance) because A) I could afford to and B) I wanted to have fun. I never had any dillusions of Mary Franklin, Steve Sansweet or George Lucas seeing my name and saying, "Yay, 'mousedroid' is coming! We've got to make sure his weekend is very special!"

If you feel something isn't worth the price people are asking you to pay for it, there's a very simple solution. You're a smart guy though, so I'll let you figure out what that solution is. (Hint: Paying for it anyway and then griping about it endlessly is not the answer.)

ETA: I'm not sure what you mean by:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>

[/QUOTE]
But I have. I know what it costs to rent a convention center, I know what it costs to pay for guests' rooms, airfares, and meals and I know how much work goes into a convention 1/10th the size of C3. I'm not saying that GenCon didn't make a profit off this show, and I'm not saying they didn't make an enormous profit off this show; what I'm saying is, SO WHAT? Despite everyone's complaints, it's not like this convention materialized out of thin air or with a few timely phone calls to George Lucas' personal secretary. Gen Con did a lot of work, and in this world, where NOTHING is free, they deserve every cent they made IMO.

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
I never had any dillusions of Mary Franklin, Steve Sansweet or George Lucas seeing my name and saying, "Yay, 'mousedroid' is coming! We've got to make sure his weekend is very special!"
Too funny

So, I take it that you didn't get a personal invitation to Skywalker Ranch for dinner either?

Reaction score

yodaman said:
mousedroid said:
I never had any dillusions of Mary Franklin, Steve Sansweet or George Lucas seeing my name and saying, "Yay, 'mousedroid' is coming! We've got to make sure his weekend is very special!"
Too funny

So, I take it that you didn't get a personal invitation to Skywalker Ranch for dinner either?
Well, yes, but that's only because I saved George from choking on a peanut at the bar Friday night.

ETA: The peanut is for sale, btw.

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
You could say the same thing about anything in life - Hollywood doesn't care about you, so why go see movies? Major League Baseball doesn't care about you - why go to games? OPEC doesn't care about you - why buy gas? The company you work for doesn't care about you (unless you work for yourself) - so why work there?

I went to C3, and I gladly forked over my $95 (bought my pass in advance) because A) I could afford to and B) I wanted to have fun. I never had any dillusions of Mary Franklin, Steve Sansweet or George Lucas seeing my name and saying, "Yay, 'mousedroid' is coming! We've got to make sure his weekend is very special!"

If you feel something isn't worth the price people are asking you to pay for it, there's a very simple solution. You're a smart guy though, so I'll let you figure out what that solution is. (Hint: Paying for it anyway and then griping about it endlessly is not the answer.)

ETA: I'm not sure what you mean by:
But I have. I know what it costs to rent a convention center, I know what it costs to pay for guests' rooms, airfares, and meals and I know how much work goes into a convention 1/10th the size of C3. I'm not saying that GenCon didn't make a profit off this show, and I'm not saying they didn't make an enormous profit off this show; what I'm saying is, SO WHAT? Despite everyone's complaints, it's not like this convention materialized out of thin air or with a few timely phone calls to George Lucas' personal secretary. Gen Con did a lot of work, and in this world, where NOTHING is free, they deserve every cent they made IMO.

[/QUOTE]

That's quite a leap you've made. Now, while I don't feel that most athletic contests are worth $40-$200 (or whatever) and most movies aren't worth $10, you do get SOMETHING for your money, and you needn't wait in line for a half a day to achieve what you set out for, either. Heck, you even get to sit your phat azz down at such events. What C3 should've been was like a Chinese buffet: a lot of crappy things and a few good things, but you could sample them all. Instead, it was just one a la carte item, prix fixe, and that one item just wasn't very satisfying. (I have yet to have lunch today!)

Reaction score

A Chinese buffet! That's what they should have had at the Celebration Party.

Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

Amen. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I have no idea how ANYONE could have purchased a pass to C3 and then be surprised by the hoards of people that showed up. I mean, I'm sure there are people out there without the internet (so that accounts for a couple of the attendees).....but the rest of the people on the internet griping about how horrible C3 was? I don't get it.

Did you READ the posts on the boards about what to expect?

Did you READ even one of the hundreds of threads on C2 and how big the lines were and how hard it was to see everything?

Did you READ the big sticky topics about how you should expect to wait in a lot of lines (and advice on bringing food and entertainment for those lines)? Did you read about how you should block out time to buy the exclusive toys if you wanted them?

From all the griping about this con, you'd think some people here expected that their orange lanyard was some kind of magic carpet that would whisk them to the front of any line they entered.

You'd think they expected to be one of only 6 or 7 attendees, and that they'd see everything on the schedule and buy every toy they wanted with time to spare.....all because of that magical lanyard.

Despite all the information out there warning them otherwise, it baffles me how these people could be surprised when they got there and (gasp) had to stand in line at a convention with 30,000 other people.

It baffles me how these folks missed the posts on StarWars.com saying they had even more pre-registered attendees than they did for C2 which was held at the same exact venue.

Heck, I wonder if these same people will try to walk up to a theater at 11:58pm on May 18th and expect to get a great seat for Revenge of the Sith (after walking right up to the concession counter to get their popcorn).

(Ok, that last one was a joke. Everyone knows the popcorn line takes forever).

All I'm saying is I had attended C2, so I for one knew this place was going to be a madhouse, but I bought my ticket and went anyway.

As crazy as I thought C2 was, and as poorly organized as it felt to me....I still had a lot of fun there. I still wanted to go back for C3.

And yes, C3 was a madhouse....but because I was expecting that, I had fun anyway. It was a great time, and I can't wait for C4 (if there is one).

I sincerely hope that all the people who felt that C3 was a waste of money and time will exercise their right to stay home for the next one.

Reaction score

JoshEEE, yes, I was quite versed with the myriad posts about C2 and the cluster that it was, and I was relieved I didn't go.

I was under the impression that this was the last "Celebration" ever, so I was compelled to go. I also expected it to be better than C2 in terms of crowd management, that they had "learned from the past" and were going to take corrective measures this time around. By all accounts, this was worse, including my friend who went to C2.

I didn't expect to be treated like a king, and I didn't expect there to be "6 or 7" attendees. Don't insult my intelligence.

Have you read EVERY word of ALL my posts? There are legitimate gripes there. Switching events in rooms, but not switching the signage (or the program), and yet, not informing those in line of the situation until they'd been in line for an hour or more? That's unreasonable and unacceptable.

I have zero faith that you did, in fact, read all of my posts in their entirety.

But, once again, you had a much better time than me, because you had perks that I and a multitude of others didn't. That colors your experience. And my lack of these perks colors mine.

Your analyzation (once again, without reading my posts in their entirety) make it out to be that I'm "wrong" for having a crappy time due to how poorly run it was, when you had advantages that I didn't.

In a way, I wish a fire had broken out or something, so that the idiots running this mess could have been held accountable. That place was a firetrap, and a disaster waiting to happen.

Again, I'm glad you had a good time, Joshy, but I and anyone with any civility who lacked the advantages you had have a much different view of this "celebration."

Reaction score

I don't think admission was bad - I mean you'd pay $45 or more just to go to a football game, and the convention was only $30-40 for a whole day's worth of stuff. What's irritating is that you couldn't do all the stuff you wanted to do. With the exception of the store and the Lucas presentation, could anyone not get into anything? Seems like pretty simple stuff to fix for next time. I was only there for a day and a half and I got to see pretty much everything I wanted.

Reaction score

darth_epidermis said:
In a way, I wish a fire had broken out or something, so that the idiots running this mess could have been held accountable. That place was a firetrap, and a disaster waiting to happen.
And with that, I think I'm done with this thread.

Except to say that my orange lanyard better get me to the front of the popcorn line on May 18th, or there'll be hell to pay!

iHu

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
yodaman said:
mousedroid said:
Too funny

Well, yes, but that's only because I saved George from choking on a peanut at the bar Friday night.

ETA: The peanut is for sale, btw.
Now THAT was funny!

Reaction score
Re: GenCon Shady, Amending Their C3 Web Site \"FAQ\"s

I think the whole idea is that Gen-Con is a business and could careless about the fans. None the less, if you remember when it was announced that George Lucas was making an appearance they re-opened the online ticket/pass sales. Why would you do that? If and only if you plan to increase your revenues.

The fact remains is that Gen-Con tried to change its policy in mist of the show only to protect itself from refunds which amounts to lost revenues. I for one could careless what they say or do at this point as it would be pointless.

The fact is they are very arrogant and rude about everything you asked let alone stupid which is the nice word I could think of to say. Yeah the way they answered you condescendingly with a stupid answer if any of you read my post about the credit card reversal thing. They are trying to avoid people like me who know the system. Reversal of a credit card charge is time consuming, but why give them the revenues they don’t deserve. Entering the store was part of my contractual agreement when I signed up, but availability was another. They did not stipulate they can change that anytime they want. Gen-Con changing there website really doesn’t bother me. If they want to make my life worse so be it, I can most likely have records pulled from their Web hosting company the dates and access time these changes occurred on their site. This is just a little tidbit for those who have contact me regarding reversal of these charges. What all that Gen-Con changes during and after the show shows what kind of person(s) are running the show and how little do they know.

Am I getting my charges reversed? Yes why? Failure to provide/deliver purchased service/product!!!

Reaction score

Have you read EVERY word of ALL my posts? There are legitimate gripes there.

[/QUOTE]

Thankfully, no.

And for the record, my comment isn't aimed at YOU (nowhere does my post mention you). I'm speaking about EVERYONE that's griping and making C3 out to be some sort of disaster (which I don't think it was at all).

Switching events in rooms, but not switching the signage (or the program), and yet, not informing those in line of the situation until they'd been in line for an hour or more? That's unreasonable and unacceptable.

[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you. I've never said there weren't problems, I've just said it wasn't a HORRIBLE weekend. It was still a lot of fun for most people, despite the hiccups.

But, once again, you had a much better time than me, because you had perks that I and a multitude of others didn't. That colors your experience. And my lack of these perks colors mine

[/QUOTE]

Really? Please explain to me the perks that I had. Perhaps you're referring to the perk of trying to control the Lucas line all night long which left me with over 48 hours with no sleep. Or the perk of running the store line and answering every question or complaint of every person there in a kind and polite manner? Or maybe the perk of having to listen to someone yell at me because I let some disabled folks into an auditorium before him.

What perks or advantages did I have again?

[/QUOTE]

That is the most wonderful thing I've heard any of the complainers say so far. So not only was C3 a fiasco, you wish everyone had burned to death.

Lovely.

Reaction score

JoshEEE said:
Have you read EVERY word of ALL my posts? There are legitimate gripes there.
Thankfully, no.

And for the record, my comment isn't aimed at YOU (nowhere does my post mention you). I'm speaking about EVERYONE that's griping and making C3 out to be some sort of disaster (which I don't think it was at all).

Switching events in rooms, but not switching the signage (or the program), and yet, not informing those in line of the situation until they'd been in line for an hour or more? That's unreasonable and unacceptable.

[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you. I've never said there weren't problems, I've just said it wasn't a HORRIBLE weekend. It was still a lot of fun for most people, despite the hiccups.

But, once again, you had a much better time than me, because you had perks that I and a multitude of others didn't. That colors your experience. And my lack of these perks colors mine

[/QUOTE]

Really? Please explain to me the perks that I had. Perhaps you're referring to the perk of trying to control the Lucas line all night long which left me with over 48 hours with no sleep. Or the perk of running the store line and answering every question or complaint of every person there in a kind and polite manner? Or maybe the perk of having to listen to someone yell at me because I let some disabled folks into an auditorium before him.

What perks or advantages did I have again?

[/QUOTE]

That is the most wonderful thing I've heard any of the complainers say so far. So not only was C3 a fiasco, you wish everyone had burned to death.

Lovely.

[/QUOTE]

Nope, I don't wish any harm to anyone. You extended my statement one step too far. I just wish for SOMETHING, however drastic, could have been done or taken place for GenCon to be held accountable for the mess and scam that they created. As it is, they are getting off scot (scott?) free, and laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh, and I'll "exercise my right" to not attend CIV, as it will surely be a bigger mess than this was.

Reaction score

darth_epidermis said:
JoshEEE, yes, I was quite versed with the myriad posts about C2 and the cluster that it was, and I was relieved I didn't go.

I was under the impression that this was the last "Celebration" ever, so I was compelled to go. I also expected it to be better than C2 in terms of crowd management, that they had "learned from the past" and were going to take corrective measures this time around. By all accounts, this was worse, including my friend who went to C2.

I didn't expect to be treated like a king, and I didn't expect there to be "6 or 7" attendees. Don't insult my intelligence.

Have you read EVERY word of ALL my posts? There are legitimate gripes there. Switching events in rooms, but not switching the signage (or the program), and yet, not informing those in line of the situation until they'd been in line for an hour or more? That's unreasonable and unacceptable.

I have zero faith that you did, in fact, read all of my posts in their entirety.

But, once again, you had a much better time than me, because you had perks that I and a multitude of others didn't. That colors your experience. And my lack of these perks colors mine.

Your analyzation (once again, without reading my posts in their entirety) make it out to be that I'm "wrong" for having a crappy time due to how poorly run it was, when you had advantages that I didn't.

Again, I'm glad you had a good time, Joshy, but I and anyone with any civility who lacked the advantages you had have a much different view of this "celebration."
Peoples view of Celebration 3 really depends on their agenda and expectations. My agenda was to spend as much time with my friends from around the world that came to the event as possible. While I didn't get to spend as much time with certain friends as I would have liked, I still got to spend at least some time with everyone. My main goals were accomplished. This event, for me, really wasn't about swag either(although I bought quite a bit of it in the DEALER room and at the Omni after hours room sales as well as some amazing pieces that friends from overseas brought just for me!!).
My expectations were that like any convention of this size, there were going to be huge lines and waits for everything. I coordinated my time schedual accordingly, decided things that were and weren't worth the wait involved and everything worked perfectly, the longest I waited in any line was 30 mins(C3 store). I got to see and do just about everything I had planned on doing at the convention, I did miss a couple of collector panels due to drunken stupidity the night before keeping me from waking up early enough.

IF you think that C3 was badly executed, you most certainly didn't go to C1.....now THAT was a cluster****. Rain the entire time,leaky outdoor exhibit and vendor tents,mud and muck.

D.E. In one sentence you talk about people that have civility and include yourself in those ranks. Yet in the paragraph above you wish a fire on the convention. That certainly doesn't smack of civility to me..... ESPECIALLY since I lost close friends in the Station fire here in RI. That fire had 1/1000th the # of victims that a fire at C3 would have, and the aftermath of that is still felt on a daily basis around here by many. A person of civility wouldn't wish a catastrophe like that on anyone, or any organization for that matter just because "they" had a less than stellar time at a convention.

While I can definitley understand being upset over presentations being moved around, and people not being told.
IF you want to see GenCon "hurt" by their lack of consistancy do as some others have and charge back the cost of your pass with your CC company. I for one got every dollars worth in entertainment,merch,and fanboy fun.

Cheers
Joseph

Reaction score

Again, Josephy, what I threw out was just the most extreme thought that came to mind that could force GenCon to be held accountable for their incompetence. AGAIN, I don't wish true suffering on any of the rude cretins that work for GenCon or the Convention Center, nor any of the volunteers or attendees. Sheesh. Just accountability on the the part of those responsible for the mess.

From the sound of it, you didn't wait in line for hardly any time at all for anything, and you got to see virtually everything you wanted to, so of course you had a blast.

And, I agree with your summation that one's experience would be colored by their agenda at the outset. You wanted to see your internet friends and such, so you had a good time after hours and the like. I wanted to see certain things and obtain certain things, and wasn't able to, and not for lack of effort and patience. It was due to mismanagement on the part of GenCon, etc. You were apparently lucky (as was JoshEEE, and others who enjoyed themselves). I got no value for my dollah, hollah!

Reaction score

loneclone said:
Entering the store was part of my contractual agreement when I signed up, but availability was another.
Boy, I'd love to see a copy of that contract, 'cause when I bought my pass, I sure didn't see any contract that said, "We, GenCon guarantee that you, buyer, will be able to do and see everything you want to at Celebration III."

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
loneclone said:
Entering the store was part of my contractual agreement when I signed up, but availability was another.
Boy, I'd love to see a copy of that contract, 'cause when I bought my pass, I sure didn't see any contract that said, "We, GenCon guarantee that you, buyer, will be able to do and see everything you want to at Celebration III."
Well, there's an implicit contract. The services promised were in fact not delivered in whole. You can't deny that.

I'd like to see a copy of the contract that says "for $110, you will get to do nothing listed here in this program, no matter how patient and diligent you are." I don't recall that being posted anywhere.

But this shall fall on deaf ears, or blind eyes as it were, since a couple vocal people in here who apparently, magically, had everything go their way at the "Celebration" will never see it the way the majority of attendees do.

Reaction score

Well, there's an implicit contract. The services promised were in fact not delivered in whole. You can't deny that.

[/QUOTE]

Again.....Where were any services promised?

Granted, the crafty conventioneer was able to line up at the right times and see or buy as much as possible, but I doubt anyone (attendee or exhibitor) who has ever attended something like this before assumed that they'd be able to see everything.

I know for darn sure it was never promised anywhere that you could see everything.

Reaction score

darth_epidermis said:
Well, there's an implicit contract.
An "implicit contract"? I'll bet those hold up well in court. The only thing I know of that's even close to a contract, is what is printed on the backs of the badges. I don't have mine here so I don't know what it says, but I'm willing to bet it's a lot of CYA verbiage and doesn't guarantee anything either implicitly or explicitly.

darth_epidermis said:
I'd like to see a copy of the contract that says "for $110, you will get to do nothing listed here in this program, no matter how patient and diligent you are." I don't recall that being posted anywhere.
You got to do nothing listed in the program? Come on.

darth_epidermis said:
But this shall fall on deaf ears, or blind eyes as it were, since a couple vocal people in here who apparently, magically, had everything go their way at the "Celebration" will never see it the way the majority of attendees do.
LOL! I wanted to go to the Jay La'wha'tev'er Fan Club Breakfast; I couldn't. I wanted to see the Opening Ceremonies; I didn't. I wanted to see the "Rick McCallum Spectacular;" I didn't. I wanted to see George Lucas; I didn't. Now, with the exception of the breakfast, I could have done all of those things, I guarantee I could, but it probably would have meant that I wouldn't have gotten all the autographs I wanted, wouldn't have gotten any Vader figures, might have missed the SW in 30 Minutes show, might have missed the One-Man Star Wars show, and would have gotten a lot less sleep.

So no, everything didn't magically go my way at C3. I choose what I wanted to do, because I knew, as did anyone who read any of the threads in here in the months leading up to C3, that I couldn't do everything. But this will fall on deaf ears/blind eyes since some vocal people in here who didn't magically have everything go their way at "Celebration" refuse to focus on the things they did get to do and only see the things they didn't. Life is much better and much happier when you focus on the good things.

Please note: The above does not apply to one day pass holders who missed the entire show by standing in line at the store. That was still your choice, but it was unfair that you had to sacrifice everything else to get a Vader.

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
darth_epidermis said:
You got to do nothing listed in the program? Come on.
I believe the Collector panels were in the program. The room was never full. There was never a line. You could have come to any or all of them.

To say you had no chance to do anything in the program is ridiculous.

Cj

Reaction score

cfawcett said:
I believe the Collector panels were in the program. The room was never full. There was never a line. You could have come to any or all of them.
Well, I did experience GenCon Staff using their now-classic "Line is Capped" bs and turning people away. Naturally, after the people in line walked in and the room was only 1/2 full, we just walked right in at the end.

Reaction score

Spideymike said:
cfawcett said:
Well, I did experience GenCon Staff using their now-classic "Line is Capped" bs and turning people away. Naturally, after the people in line walked in and the room was only 1/2 full, we just walked right in at the end.
I was in line near the gencon guy who capped the opening ceremony line and saw all the people that were turned away. I heard later that there were empty seats at Opening Ceremonies. Same with Lucas, I think some people were turned away in the morning and there were lots of empty seats during his 3rd appearance. The store was also capped for the day and then re-opened later on. After awhile no one took what they said too seriously and didn't give up even when they said there is no way your getting in.

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
LOL! I wanted to go to the Jay La'wha'tev'er Fan Club Breakfast; I couldn't. I wanted to see the Opening Ceremonies; I didn't. I wanted to see the "Rick McCallum Spectacular;" I didn't. I wanted to see George Lucas; I didn't. Now, with the exception of the breakfast, I could have done all of those things, I guarantee I could, but it probably would have meant that I wouldn't have gotten all the autographs I wanted, wouldn't have gotten any Vader figures, might have missed the SW in 30 Minutes show, might have missed the One-Man Star Wars show, and would have gotten a lot less sleep.

So no, everything didn't magically go my way at C3. I choose what I wanted to do, because I knew, as did anyone who read any of the threads in here in the months leading up to C3, that I couldn't do everything. But this will fall on deaf ears/blind eyes since some vocal people in here who didn't magically have everything go their way at "Celebration" refuse to focus on the things they did get to do and only see the things they didn't. Life is much better and much happier when you focus on the good things.
I could not have said it better. I wanted to go to the Opening Ceremonies but there was a local guy having a party at his house so I went with the crowd. I wanted to see the RM Spectacular but didn't. I did later get to see what I refer to as "Rick lite" which was basically the footage sans Rick. I wanted to see Lucas but was NOT feeling being in line before 5:00AM since most nights I didn't get to bed until 3:00AM.

Like JoeY, and several others, my goal was to spend 6 days with friends, yes 6 as we went in a day early and left a day late, and I accomplished that. It was a total blast. Did I see all I wanted? No, but I had fun. Sure it had it's problems but you need to learn to work with what you have and make the best of it.

I can't wait for C4: The SW Explosion!!

John

Reaction score

Same with Lucas, I think some people were turned away in the morning and there were lots of empty seats during his 3rd appearance.

[/QUOTE]

You are correct. I'll give you the inside scoop on that one (so you don't think they turned people away just to be jerks).

If you were in the line, you know that it was freezing rain and just miserable out there all night. At about 1am, myself and a few of the volunteers went inside and started begging Gen Con to let people wait inside the convention (which they could not do because of the convention center rules, not their own). They wanted to do something to keep people dry (and had already started a line under the RCA dome) but it just wasn't enough covered space.

So at about 3 or 4am, they finally took the line and moved them all to the Hyatt to keep people dry and warm. Unfortunately, that place filled up quickly.....and people were left standing outside and around the block at the Hyatt. PLUS....everyone that had arrived after the line moved ended up standing out in the cold outside the convention center. We only had 2 volunteers at that point (me and one other guy) left at the con, because everyone else was at the Hyatt. So we had to run up and down the line telling them where the real line was.

SO....the people on the CBs told us we probably had our 9000 at that point and we should start letting people know that (so they wouldn't have to freeze for nothing). I told EVERY person I could that they could choose to go line up at the Hyatt....but that all estimates were that we had our capacity. I told anyone that seemed really bummeda bout that that if it was me....I'd go line up and take the risk, but that it didn't look good. I was trying to be as honest as possible while not actually saying "Go home, you probably won't get in".

Fast forward 3 hours. Now it's 8am. We send all the Yellow badge holders (or whatever color the first 2000 people were supposed to be) into the auditorium. Even after that, we have about 400-500 empty seats still.

It turns out there were a lot of reserved seats (VIPs, Lucas guests, Press, etc) that were not being used.

So we start seating show number 2 people in the 1st show in those reserved seats.

Because we had done that, we had room to seat show number 3 people in the 2nd show until we had that auditorium full too. At that point, there were whispers in the wind that Lucas may not even DO a third show (we were running late and supposedly he had a schedule to keep).

Someone comes over the radio and says "Lucas is feeling talkative, he's going to stay". So, when we heard that he would be doing a third show as planned....we filled the theater full of any color wristband that was left, and then started shouting down the stairs for anyone that wanted to see Lucas (wristband or not) to come on up.

They wouldn't put it on the PA for fear of a stampede....but the volunteers ran down the stairs and yelled loudly enough for everyone who was in range to hear them.

We filled that third show almost to capacity (I'd wager there were about 100-150 seats left at most).

Yet another example of something that was a screwed up situation, but I think it was handled as best as was possible at the time.

Reaction score

JoshEEE said:
If you were in the line, you know that it was freezing rain and just miserable out there all night.
I was in the first 100 people in that line. Our group was there from about 6pm the night before, off and on. We were inside the building until midnight, and then it was the freezing rain he mentions.

At 2am, my friend Roy and I went to our car in the parking deck nearby, donned every article of clothing we had, and got back in the line not too long before they announced we'd be moved inside.

We got though the Hyatt and into the skywalk first-- mere feet from the car, funnily enough. We could've waited there the whole night, dry, until that point!

That was about 4am. At about 5am they moved us inside the Convention Center itself, and we slept in the queue outside the Sagamore Ballroom.

There were times I questioned my own sanity for enduring this. But sometimes in your life, you just don't want to leave anything to chance.

Was it worth it? Yep.

Anyway, my own recollections aside, I just wanted to say a heartfelt GOD BLESS YOU to JoshEEE for helping get us moved inside.

We had already picked out who we were going to eat first if/when he froze to death.

Alex

Reaction score

I can vouch for JoshEEE's account of this story. I had fully resigned myself to the fact that I wasn’t going to see Lucas, but when my buddy and I came through the front door of the convention center at around 10 am, we heard volunteers asking if anyone wanted to see Lucas "right now" to follow them, they put a wrist band on us and away we went. I ended up in the 5th row in the 3rd session.

Just another one of those right place-right time things that seemed to happen at CIII.

Reaction score

I didn't waste my weekend standing in a line for toys. I saw everything I wanted to see incluing George, the EP III digital footage, Matthew Wood, everyone in the autograph hall that I wanted, including Billy Dee, and I was only there for 2 days. I got my Vader fig from a dealer in the dealers hall for relative cheapness.

Reaction score

I also want to give a big thanks to JoshEEE. I didn't realize you were behind the idea of moving us into Hyatt! You helped make a VERY uncomfortable situation a helluva lot better that night.

Reaction score

I was one of the fist 20 under the dome. Then we started a long walk and nearly ended up in the Hyatt. My friend and I stood out in the cold rain for over an hour= everyone was po'ed. Jerrome Blake came out and gave away hot chocolate, my hands and wet feet (got caught in the rain that night)were too cold to move. We almost gave up, but then the line started to move, when I got inside I was able to relieve myself and though I was tired I was happy.

Reaction score

I also want to give a big thanks to JoshEEE. I didn't realize you were behind the idea of moving us into Hyatt! You helped make a VERY uncomfortable situation a helluva lot better that night

[/QUOTE]

Hehe. Well, don't give me all the credit for that. I just went in and bugged the convention organizers to move people inside. I had no authority to do it, and ulimately, I think all I did is plant the seed.

I believe it was the higher ups in the 501st that volutneered the room they had rented at the Hyatt for their private party that got the line moved over there.

And though it was cool when some people got dry, I'm also aware what a pain in the butt it was that we had lines for Lucas in 3 separate places. That was pretty goofy....but couldn't really be helped due to everyone not being on a radio together.

One thing everyone can agree on is that it was really cool that the convention organizers and volunteers actually cared enough to get people out of the rain.

I've been in enough lines over the years (including Episode 3) where they just let you sit there in the rain. Nothing as cold as C3, but still......a line is a line.