GenCon Shady, Amending Their C3 Web Site "FAQ"s

Reaction score
GenCon Shady, Amending Their C3 Web Site \"FAQ\"s

GenCon actually amended their Frequently Asked Questions, AFTER the Celebration had commenced. I checked the FAQ's when I left home to drive to Indianapolis, on Wednesday, April 20. This is the page for their FAQ's: http://www.starwarscelebration.com/displayswc.aspx?file=FAQ

The following "questions" were NOT there when I left. They obviously added these during or after the Celebration started, to cover their own a***s for the clusterf*** they started and are responsible for, with the wholly disorganized chaos that the Celebration was. How completely and utterly shady.

Most Asked Questions

Q: Can I get an action figure or be guaranteed entrance to the store or other events?

We cannot guarantee you get into all places of the show or get an exclusive action figure. Line up as early as possible to get into the events. Keep in mind the store and all premier events reach capacity and no more people will be allowed in. The only way to get in is to be early.

Q: Am I guaranteed to get in an hour before non-Fan Club members if I am a Fan Club Member?

No, the doors to the Fan Club line open an hour earlier than the others but it isn't logistically possible to process all the Fan Club members in that hour. After that hour is up, Fan Club members and non-Fan Club members can get into the main doors. If you want to get in during that hour, make sure you line up early.

Q: I came in and found out the store and/or other event was at capacity, can I get a refund?

No, there are many things to do and see at the convention. In order to get into premier events and locations you need to get in line early. Please see a program guide for a list of events onsite.

Q: I don't have a badge yet. Can I get one on site or will you be sold out?

Badges are available onsite at the show. Refer to the Registration Information page for more info. We have never sold out of one of our conventions, but that isn't to say the Fire Marshal can't halt our sales if he feels it is too crowded.

Q: Can we use a friends & family coupon to get into the George Lucas seminar?

Yes, you will need to also have a badge. If you have a badge and a lanyard or a badge and a friends & family coupon you should get into the Fan Club line. If you just have a badge please get into the regular line at the main entrance. Please see the floor plan for information on where those are at.

Q: Can I bring my still or video camera to Celebration III?

Still cameras are allowed anywhere, except during stage presentations at which the audience is requested to not take photos. There is absolutely no filming for documentary and news purposes without express written permission from Gen Con LLC and Lucasfilm. Recording devices are not allowed at any stage presentations or shows, whether video or audio. Audio and video recording for private use only is allowed in the halls and in other public places at Celebration III.

Anyone associated with GenCon or the Indiana Convention Center can eat my poo.

Reaction score
Re: GenCon Shady, Amending Their C3 Web Site \"FAQ\"s

I don't see anything the least bit shady about those questions or answers.

darth_epidermis said:
Q: Can I get an action figure or be guaranteed entrance to the store or other events?
This is just common sense - no one is guaranteed anything at a convention except admittance with a valid pass.

darth_epidermis said:
Q: Am I guaranteed to get in an hour before non-Fan Club members if I am a Fan Club Member?
Valid question - will the non-FC door be delayed until everyone in the the FC line has entered? Valid answer - no.

darth_epidermis said:
Q: I came in and found out the store and/or other event was at capacity, can I get a refund?
If they aren't going to give you a refund for not being able to make it, why would they give you a refund because you couldn't get into one of the many things they had going on?

darth_epidermis said:
Q: I don't have a badge yet. Can I get one on site or will you be sold out?
Again - valid question and valid response. The Fire Marshall stopped ticket sales on Saturday because of the size of the crowd. How is that GenCon being shady?

darth_epidermis said:
Q: Can we use a friends & family coupon to get into the George Lucas seminar?
*Gasp!* How shady of them to answer this question.

darth_epidermis said:
Q: Can I bring my still or video camera to Celebration III?
Another honest answer to a valid question. How dare they!

I swear, people will [censored] about absolutely anything and everything unless things go 100% their way. Even then they find something to [censored] about. I guess no Star Wars Celebration is better than a Star Wars Celebration in which 90% of everything goes right, huh?

At least you're one person the rest of us won't have to worry about standing in line behind in 2007.

Reaction score

I think what he thought was shady is that they added these AFTER the convention or at least 'during' instead of ahead of time.

I can understand if there are unforeseen problems and not everyone can get to what they want. What made me unhappy were the attitudes of people working there. The people that were getting asked about the lines and getting in were met with volunteers and staff that A.) didn't know what was going on and B.) were pretty rude about it.

I'm sure there were exceptions and I'm not saying all the people working there were jerks, but I saw more staff with bad attitudes than with good attitudes.

Reaction score
Re: GenCon Shady, Amending Their C3 Web Site \"FAQ\"

The gribe is that they posted all this after the fact, after the con was over. Seems like they are more concerned with protecting themselves than anything else.

Reaction score

If there is a Celebration IV (and I do want there to be one) I really hope and pray that GenCon is NOT involved in any way.

I personally had a blast at the Con, but to be perfectly blunt and frank, the way GenCon handled CIII was a joke... and many of the same people were with WOTC when they ran CII. If they are involved with CIV in any official capacity you can bet the mortage people will have the exact same issues and problems.

They learned NOTHING from last time and the only logical conclusion one can come up with is that they cared only about the $$$ involved and not with actually running as smooth a Con as possible.

The LFL people are a different story. Not only do they care... they are the ones responsible for about 99% of the good stuff at the show.

If only we could clone Steve and Mary.

Reaction score

It would make no diference even if they posted that amended FAQ before CBIII. The store still would have been a disaster.

I hope the Fan Club can objectively look back at GenCon's management and say, "That didn't go well at all and there has to be a better way".

My suggestion would be to contract with an organization that's game is retail, retail, retail. High volume at that. McDonald's, and Disney come to mind. Heck even though Brian's Toys charges a ton I have to compliment them on how well their booth ran at CBIII.

Reaction score

JediJman said:
I think what he thought was shady is that they added these AFTER the convention or at least 'during' instead of ahead of time.
I just don't see how there is anything particularly shady about it. These are FAQs, they aren't contractually binding statements. They are also, for the most part, totally innocuous and completely common sense items. It's not like GenCon was denying anyone who paid for a pass admission to the show and then after the fact posted "Q: Am I guaranteed to get into the show with a valid badge? A: No, we probably sold too many passes and so if you aren't in line at 6 am every day, too bad." The only thing that pass guaranteed you was admission to the convention center.

As for people saying C4 should be taken out of GenCon's hands - where is the logic in this? Who do you suggest run it? Say what you will, but huge crowds are always going to equal some people missing out on some things. GenCon (and OfficialPix) made huge improvements in all areas of the show vs. C2, with the exception of the store. Now you want to deny them the chance to improve that last aspect of the show for C4 and instead give the entire convention to somebody new that will either incrementally improve on what GenCon has already accomplished, or totally screw up everything? What sense does that make?

Reaction score

I have too agree the whole convention was about the all mighty Dollar bill...nobody cared if you had a fan club lanyard or not...it still took two hours too get in just to the simple convention center. Thet had people waiting in the rain on friday morning just too get in.

Reaction score

This is for mousedroid. The shady part of the whole Gencon thing is that they don't want people to find out that the voluteers, press, and exhibitors got to cut in line everyday at the store and all the special events and that even if you were a fanclub member it didn't matter. My one friend went with me and he never used one green ticket for any of the fanclub events. They also over sold the show so there was alot of times the fire marshall would make Gencon close a room or an area . Gencon didn't have any of those questions posted the day of the show ,but did them the 2nd day when they got in trouble with the fire marshall. If you're woundering why i know this I am good friends with the chief of police in Ind. . I'm a srgt. with the Chicago P.D. The whole thing was not properly run they didn't even followed their own rules. Plus this was the biggest event Gencon ran before. They even screw up Wizard World in Chicago.
Over all we just had to make the best of the situation and try to do as much as possible. I've met alot of new and good people there so just look at the friendships you made there because of a bad situation. And remember alot of these people actually worked for the RCA dome and the power went to their heads ,I had a punk kid who had a Gencon badge who gave me a hard time. I finally got fed up with him and showed him my badge and asked for his name to report him and he told me to f_off. I went to the police booth there and reported it , and found out he works for the RCA dome sanitation dept. you get what you sew. The people didn't do their job except the 501st. who did a hell of a job trying to make sure people enjoyed themselves and did their best at getting people in. My hat is tip off to them for doing there best at a bad situation.

Reaction score

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
The shady part of the whole Gencon thing is that they don't want people to find out that the voluteers, press, and exhibitors got to cut in line everyday at the store and all the special events

[/QUOTE]

Was this your first convention? Be it Wizard World, Comic Con, or even CES....every convention I've ever been to or worked at has early entry for staff, press and associates of the con. If the fact that the press got in before you did surprised you, I'm sorry.....but it's far from "shady".

even if you were a fanclub member it didn't matter

[/QUOTE]

Did you really think that orange lanyard was going to get you into anything early? Judging by the size of the lines, Fan Club members outnumbered non-fan club members by about 10 to 1. It's a Star Wars convention, and just about everyone was a fan club member. Had you stopped by this section of the boards before the con, you would have read dozens of warnings from people who attended C2 telling you that very thing. The only difference between C2 and C3 is last time around the fan club lanyards were grey, not orange. But everyone had them then, too.

As for you showing someone your badge, I was a volunteer and had some guy proclaiming to me that he was an Indianpolis police officer. He wanted some answers about why the line for toys wasn't running as smoothly as he wanted.

I had a chuckle at that. It doesn't matter whether you're a cop, a doctor, or the mayor of San Francisco. During the con, you're just another dude in line.

Reaction score

JoshEEE, I've seen you do nothing but defend GenCon, selling the CIII "exclusive" Vaders online, etc, etc. Why are you such a shill for such a bushleague operation? And, you were a "volunteer," right? So you could basically cut into lines and receive other privileges that others were not party to, yes? That would definitely taint your perspective on this and, frankly, be the only explanation for your lauding how this garbage was run (unless you WORK for GenCon or the Indianapolis Convention Center, but I don't think that's the case).

What I especially like is how GenCon was so incompetent and rude, that many "volunteers" just up and quit, making this mess even worse than it should have been. True, they're volunteers, and are not beholden to giving their service, since they're not receiving a paycheck, but when they quit, they just compounded the problem. Not to mention many of them probably retained their "VOLUNTEER" badges so they could use that privileged status to their gain.

This was a mess, from beginning to end, top to bottom.

Reaction score

JoshEEE said:
As for you showing someone your badge, I was a volunteer and had some guy proclaiming to me that he was an Indianpolis police officer. He wanted some answers about why the line for toys wasn't running as smoothly as he wanted.

I had a chuckle at that. It doesn't matter whether you're a cop, a doctor, or the mayor of San Francisco. During the con, you're just another dude in line.
weak.

the entire 2.5 hours we were waiting in line for the store, we had to endure a group of people loudly [censored] to volunteers/staff about how some people got ahead of them. they just kept waiving people over so they could complain. then the volunteer/staff would leave and they would complain amongst themselves. then they would spot someone else...wash, rinse, repeat.

Reaction score

I was standing in line with MadPerry and to listen to these people bully and harass the volunteers was just mind numbing. Eventually this group of the dim witted tried to rope us int their angerfest and I just said you know sometimes life isn't fair and you have to deal with it. and that was that. Thankfully it wasn't 9 hours of [censored] and moaning from them.

I think Gencon could run the convention itself well but the store should be placed in the hands of a major retailer that has a clue about fast customer service and lines. There are better ways to run a store and this should be a case study for buisness majors on how not to do things. I tell you give a dozen grad students a project to improve the CB4 store and I bet we would have a winning solution.

Reaction score

darth_epidermis said:
JoshEEE, I've seen you do nothing but defend GenCon, selling the CIII "exclusive" Vaders online, etc, etc. Why are you such a shill for such a bushleague operation? And, you were a "volunteer," right? So you could basically cut into lines and receive other privileges that others were not party to, yes? That would definitely taint your perspective on this and, frankly, be the only explanation for your lauding how this garbage was run (unless you WORK for GenCon or the Indianapolis Convention Center, but I don't think that's the case).

What I especially like is how GenCon was so incompetent and rude, that many "volunteers" just up and quit, making this mess even worse than it should have been. True, they're volunteers, and are not beholden to giving their service, since they're not receiving a paycheck, but when they quit, they just compounded the problem. Not to mention many of them probably retained their "VOLUNTEER" badges so they could use that privileged status to their gain.

This was a mess, from beginning to end, top to bottom.
I met Josh in the C3 store line. I didn't see him "cutting" in front of anyone. I did see him trying to keep a good sense of humor & joking around with the people on line.

Yes, some of the volunteers may have quit out of disgust but by in large they were there trying to help. I volunteered at the Official Pix booth. I didn't do it to get on line early or get in the the C3 store. I did it to have fun. To tell you the truth, I didn't "cut" into lines or get any special perk.

So unless you know what you speak of...

Reaction score

Well , JoshEEE this was not my first convetion i've been to C2, Wizard World in Chicago where I worked as security for the convention. And if you read these threads before passing judgements you would know this. I have friends in ILM,and LFL. I also voluteer help out with security with Lucas, but they had enough and if they needed they would of called me. Now i've worked at alot of concerts bigger than these conventions. But never had the atitude from its volunteers or workers. But i did praised the 501ST.,because they did an excellent job when Gencon failed. They put peoples spirits up and helped people out to the best they could. The Gencon employee that got smart was a kid who was cusing out a concern parent whos been waiting in line for 7 hours. All the parent did was asked if they would sehim some food and water for his kid. the Guy from Gencon says you stupid f-ing starwars loosers. Now this parents kids where no older than my nieces and nephew (for you JoshEEE they were 10 years old) this guy had no right to try kicking them out or abusing his power so I stepped in. And the guy told me to f-off, so pulled my badge and asked him for his name .I went to the Sheriff's booth and told them about this .And words came out of their mouth is no one should talk like that worker or not, this is a family event.
And the people from ILM, and LFL where not happy with the operations.
And for someone who is suppose to be a moderator seems to cause more fights than prevent them. Kick me off for alls I care ,I have a job and wife and don't have to post over 10,000 threads. And to correct you the voluteers,press, and exhibators where suppose to be in there at 11:00 am for their stuff not 3 or 4 pm. and cut in front of lines that where already formed. And good for you , you didn't cut at least you show some character. But before making fun of cops we do voluteer to these events also but at least I know my men or I took advantage of anything or anyone.
In other words get the story before opening a can of worms and starting trouble. Now granteyou may be a nice guy and so am I .But I see you starting alot of trouble instead of giving good advise. And yes I did check the boards,and also talked to Lindsay at fanrelations. So get off your high horse and be alittle more polite to people , and jump to every opertunity of making yourself look bad to people.

Reaction score

JoshEEE, I've seen you do nothing but defend GenCon, selling the CIII "exclusive" Vaders online, etc, etc. Why are you such a shill for such a bushleague operation?

[/QUOTE]

I haven't really defended "Gen Con" per say, but I have given my perspective everytime I see a new thread start up with someone whining about how awful this convention was. I had a great time as did just about everyone I went with. I thought it was a lot better than C2. While I definitely saw a lot of areas they could improve on, I'm not sure how they could have made it run too much more smoothly with what they had.

Sure they could have paid more employees instead of relying on volunteers. But given the resources that they had, I think they used them pretty well.

The bottom line is, this is like no other convention out there. At any other convention, the crowd is there to see a mix of things. Lots of different fan bases converge on a location, but they're not all there for the exact same stuff. At this convention, EVERYONE is a Star Wars fan and EVERYONE wants to see and buy all the same things, with only a handful of exceptions.

And, you were a "volunteer," right? So you could basically cut into lines and receive other privileges that others were not party to, yes? That would definitely taint your perspective on this and, frankly, be the only explanation for your lauding how this garbage was run (unless you WORK for GenCon or the Indianapolis Convention Center, but I don't think that's the case).

[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't use my volunteer perks to get into anything early (unless you count working the Lucas line from 12am to 8am and eventually being an usher in the auditorium as "getting in early").

I DID stand in the volunteer line to buy my Vaders, but it was still a pretty long line, and that was after I had just gotten done working a 3 or 4 hour shift in the store....so I figure that wasn't too much of a "perk" either. The second time I went back (Sunday afternoon) there were no lines anyway.

So my experience at the con was as a fan, who volunteered. I had fun when I was a fan lining up, and I had fun when I was a volunteer working those lines. Sure, I saw things that could have been improved....but I chose to enjoy my vacation rather than turn it into something to complain about.

Ed3

Reaction score

clonetrooper10 said:
The shady part of the whole Gencon thing is that they don't want people to find out that the voluteers, press, and exhibitors got to cut in line everyday at the store<SNIP!>
Wow, then I guess they shouldn't have put it right on the map they put up on their website. Hard to keep the secret that way.

Reaction score

Well , JoshEEE this was not my first convetion i've been to C2, Wizard World in Chicago where I worked as security for the convention. And if you read these threads before passing judgements you would know this.

[/QUOTE]

The only judgement I was passing was that you are someone who was surprised when the fan club lanyard didn't do anything for you. If you'd been to this forum before the con, surely you would have known to expect nothing less. That wasn't meant as an insult, it was simply meant to let you know that this wasn't something that should have been a surprise.

But i did praised the 501ST.,because they did an excellent job when Gencon failed. They put peoples spirits up and helped people out to the best they could.

[/QUOTE]

And I Thank you for that.

the Guy from Gencon says you stupid f-ing starwars loosers.

[/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound right at all. I'm glad you told someone on the staff about him.

And for someone who is suppose to be a moderator seems to cause more fights than prevent them. Kick me off for alls I care

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what that means or if it was even directed at me. But for the record, I haven't been a moderator here for almost a year now. I don't kick anyone off anymore. I enjoy just being a regular member here these days.

And to correct you the voluteers,press, and exhibators where suppose to be in there at 11:00 am for their stuff not 3 or 4 pm.

[/QUOTE]

Sadly, you are quite mistaken. Volunteers, press, VIPs and Associates were allowed into the special store line at any point during the convention, and were allowed early access into the hall itself. It was their sole "perk" for being stuck working the convention all day long. It was a perk many of us (myself included) rarely had a chance to take advantage of (if at all).

Exhibitors were the only "special" badge not allowed early entrance into the store line....and when they did cut into that line (at least on my shift) we tried to escort them out.

But before making fun of cops we do voluteer to these events also but at least I know my men or I took advantage of anything or anyone.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what that sentence meant exactly. I think what you were trying to say is that you and "your men" didn't take advantage of anyone. That's nice to hear, but I wasn't "making fun of cops" (as you put it). I was saying that someone in line was trying to say that because he was a police officer, he deserved some special treatment....and I simply pointed out that when you're in line at a convention, you're a fan, just like everyone else.
It doesn't matter what your job is in the real world. I'm quite sure most of the guys I volunteered with weren't professional security guards, but we all took on that role for a few hours at the con, just to help out.

That's all I'm saying, and that in no way "Makes fun of cops". Maybe one cop who thought he was a little more important than he actually was, but not cops in general.

But I see you starting alot of trouble instead of giving good advise.

[/QUOTE]

If by "starting trouble", you mean my not agreeing with a mob of people intent on griping and whining about every little aspect of C3, yeah I guess you're right. I must be a big "troublemaker". However, I like to think of myself as being a differing opinion in a sea of complaining. I didn't know that meant I was "starting trouble", but I'll try to work on my verbage in the future.

So get off your high horse and be alittle more polite to people , and jump to every opertunity of making yourself look bad to people.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where I was rude, or who I look bad to....but I apologize if anything I say came across that way. I was just trying to have a discussion with people who didn't like the convention and give them another point of view.

Reaction score

Before queting me put the full thing down and noturn words around ,i did't say anything about the store . i said about every exhibit . and i didn't work for the C3 but wizard con last year. And not all voluteers used their line but gencon workers let them cut in front of the fans , i thought the C3 was for the fans not the privlage . And i never use my authority to get what i want , i waited in line for 10 hours just like everyone else. These forums are not for you guys to be big shots . and this is my last post because i don't hang juvenile i just put them in jail.

Reaction score

Before queting me put the full thing down and noturn words around ,i did't say anything about the store . i said about every exhibit

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. You're upset that VIPs, associates and Volunteers got into the actual con before fans? How else did you expect them to get to work in the morning?

These forums are not for you guys to be big shots . and this is my last post because i don't hang juvenile i just put them in jail.

[/QUOTE]

Uh....ok. Bye bye, I guess.

Reaction score

One of my friends I met up with on Saturday showed up with his brother who didn't even have a badge, let alone fan club or regular, he had none at all and was still able to do quite a bit. People are going on about how the fan club laynard didn't really do too much extra, it even did about as much as no laynard at all. He eventually was kicked out but he was still able to see Lucas, get in the autograph area and the exhibit hall.

Reaction score

I've gained an immense ammount of respect for JoshEEE in this thread, and lost a bit for the Chicago PD, or at least their hiring practices, assuming that guy really is a cop.

Reaction score

The one thing I've noticed is after C1 people complained about the way the Official Star Wars Fan Club ran it. Then after C2 people complained about the way WOTC ran it. Then after C3 (sense a trend here?) people complain about the way GenCon ran it.

I believe the problem is they always seem to underestimate how many people are going to show up for these things.

However, I will say I had a lot of fun at C3, lines and all. I used the schedule, managed my expectations about lines and waits, and ended up having a great 4 days.

Reaction score

Actually, I don't think it's an underestimation. A friend of mine talked to some of the Gencon people. This is the story he got.

They *intentionally* organize things in such a way that you are standing in lines most of the day. Why? For crowd control and saftey. For a typical 10 hour day at the con, they want the average attender to be in line for 7 hours.

It makes total sense if you think about it. If anyone was there on saturday, you'll remember how crowded the hallways and exhibit hall were. And how many people were in the store line? Now just imagine if they had done some "preorder" thing and all those people in the store line were out with the rest of the crowd. People would have been hurt. Or they would have had to severely limit the total number of people admitted to the con.

As it was there were many Gencon people afraid the fire marshal (who was wandering around at times, I heard) would shut some things down. Without the orderedness of waiting in lines, C3 surely would have been shut down.

I know this probably won't be a popular idea to most, but it does make a ton of sense if you think about it.

Cj

Reaction score

That makes sense about the lines and crowd control. When we were being marched in Sat morning for Lucas they lead us all over the place, It was like an obstacle course, Kind of like the airplanes that circle around an airport waitng for their chance to land. Guess the only real solution would be to limit the amount of people at the convention somehow.

Reaction score

I just don't get why people think preordering would have solved the store problem. Just because you'd reserved something at the store wouldn't mean there would be any fewer people in line for the store, in fact there would probably be more.

I'm sure some people will say, "Yes, but if you knew you were guaranteed to get your figures, all those people wouldn't have been in line on Thursday."

True, but that would only mean that more people would need to be in line on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Well, the store reached capacity and closed on both Friday and Saturday within a few hours after the doors opened, so there was no shortage of fans trying to buy figures on those days either. Apparently it was better on Sunday, but to even things out lots of people would have had to wait until Sunday, in which case the store would have been swamped that day and you'd hear some real complaining from people who were guaranteed a figure, but still didn't get it because they couldn't get to the front of the line before the con was over.

IMO the only thing that could have "solved" the store problem is more registers. Alternately, they could have done the same thing with the Vader figures that they did with the Vader toppers - allow 4-day badge holders to order 4 of them and single day badge holders to order one when they bought their passes and ship them to them. The only "problem" with that is that you could order a badge and the figure(s) and not go to C3, which would have had the "It's a convention exclusive!" people crying that people who didn't go to C3 were able to get a figure, even though it probably would have meant much shorter lines at the store.

Reaction score

One important thing that preordering would have done would be to guarantee that you got the things you wanted before they sold out. Something I wanted sold out pretty quick and isn't be offered on the star wars web site. The line probably would have still sucked but at least I would get the things I wanted and not have to watch the store workers take down items from the displays every few hours because they had just sold out and that meant that if I wanted it I was out of luck.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Why have it all in one place anyways? Why not have two or three locations where you could purchase merchandise? The exclusive figure thing is getting old too. I wasn't too excited to be honest about a repacked POTJ Darth vader with new and improved comtech chip . . . make the exclusive something high priced and folks like me won't give a hoot and won't plug up the line ;-)

But seriously, imagine if they had two other locations selling nothing but the action figure . . . might have helped some I think . . .

Also jack the fan club badge price up $25 and just hand them out oner per badge, punch the badge, give em the toy, no credit card transactions or cash to fumble with to slow down the distribution . . . .

Reaction score

What I like about this thread discussion is that it really is flushing out the real problems the consumers at the show faced in regards to the store. And it also shows that there are many possible fixes to it. Hopefuly someone in Gencon is doing somekindof field researching and is reading these threads.

Reaction score

Dustin said:
But seriously, imagine if they had two other locations selling nothing but the action figure . . . might have helped some I think . . .
Agreed, assuming many people only wanted the figure.

Dustin said:
Also jack the fan club badge price up $25 and just hand them out oner per badge, punch the badge, give em the toy, no credit card transactions or cash to fumble with to slow down the distribution . . . .
This suggestion I agree with also - hand them out at the door when people enter. Although that would've required a huge area for storage of 20,000-30,000 figures near the door and a slightly longer wait to get in, it would have certainly shortened the store line if you couldn't buy the figures there.

I wonder how many of the exclusive toppers they had left. As one of my companions said, at $30 for those three little pieces of rubber, it was the biggest rip-off at the show.

Reaction score

They wouldn't have to give you the figure as you walked in through the door, they could have a booth set up somewhere that did nothing but give out figures and punch badges. And they could also have them up by the front and give them to people that were paying for a badge at the con.

Reaction score

But again, this would have made a crowd conrtol problem. They would have had to limit the total number of people in the con... and all that would accomplish is the same # of people getting figures. And it would eliminate the people who just wanted to enjoy the con but didn't care about the figures.

The only real solution to the problem is to have a bigger convention hall. Then you wouldn't have to worry about 50K people roaming around and they could all get their figures and everything would be great.

Cj

Reaction score

I think the funniest thing that I heard at C3 was a volunteer say, "I can't belive they expect us to do customer service! It's not like we get paid! We don't exactly work here!"
Ummm... Hello, that's what the definition of a VOLUNTEER is! Someone who works w/o getting paid for it. I think a lot of the volunteers just do so to get in early and snag exclusives, etc. I should have...

Reaction score

I think a lot of the volunteers just do so to get in early and snag exclusives, etc. I should have...

[/QUOTE]

While I'm sure you're correct and some DID do this, I can assure you that most of the volunteers I worked with did not. In fact, the rule was that you had to volunteer for 8 hours before you could even get the special badge that would get you into the slightly shorter volunteer line.

As with anything, I'm sure there were exceptions, but for the most part the volunteers were out there trying to help out the best they could.

Ed3

Reaction score

kidforce7 said:
I think the funniest thing that I heard at C3 was a volunteer say, "I can't belive they expect us to do customer service! It's not like we get paid! We don't exactly work here!" Ummm... Hello, that's what the definition of a VOLUNTEER is! Someone who works w/o getting paid for it.
There's a big difference between volunteering to work a little line control and signing up to be the spokesman for the company. Complaining to a C3 volunteer about GenCon's business practices is like marching into McDonald's and demanding that the guy making fries apologize for the recent price increase in McNuggets and the long lines during breakfast rush...at another location. You're looking for somebody above his pay grade even if he does "work for the company."

Reaction score

HobNoblet said:
That makes sense about the lines and crowd control. When we were being marched in Sat morning for Lucas they lead us all over the place, It was like an obstacle course, Kind of like the airplanes that circle around an airport waitng for their chance to land. Guess the only real solution would be to limit the amount of people at the convention somehow.
What continues to mystify me is the complete lack of use of the RCA Dome, which is, literally, CONNECTED to the Convention Center.

Why not have the bigger-demand presentations housed there? They could have put on ONE Lucas show, had multiple entrances (unlike this joke of ONE, maybe two entrances to the Convention Center) to accomodate the swell of attendees, and made more people happy. That, and NOT had this ridiculous "line up at midnight, line capped at 5 am" garbage for the Lucas shows.

Before anyone says it, I realize that the Dome was being used on Saturday for the Colts fans to witness which future millionaires they'd be "drafting", and that the Lucas show was on Saturday. So, reserve the Dome way ahead of time for Lucas, etc, or, reschedule Lucas for another day or another time on Saturday. Simple.

I mentioned to several people at the "Celebration" that they should have just GIVEN out the ridiculous "exclusive" Vader figure to attendees. One per person, and, maybe even have an age limit. Or at least somehow ensure that kids got one. But individuals walking out with 4, 8, 12, or multiple cases is really ridiculous. The figure, as mentioned above, is largely a cheap rehash. Yes, James Earl Jones recorded a couple new lines for the voice chip, but I can't imagine that this wasn't contracted for during the time that he did voice work for the movie, so that shouldn't justify the cost of the figure. Paying $110 to walk around, not get into anything because of poor management and disorganization is a disgrace. The admission price should have included, gratis, a $5 recycled figure. For all intents and purposes, I paid over $100 for the privilege to wait in lines and be turned away (and not for lack of being punctual or planning) from events I wanted to see, and the honor of waiting in an enormous line to shop. Oh, and the Scalper Hall, of course.

This thing really was a mess. I planned my days out accordingly, prioritizing presentations I wanted to see, and lining up accordingly. There were times when the signage at the door of each event was correct, and corresponded with the schedule in the program, only to be changed unannounced when the time for the event neared. They would actually switch the location of said events, but not the signage, which was really the only up-to-date information available, but became completely unreliable. So this rendered the program largely worthless as well. Lots of wasted time and frustration, due to their (GenCon, etc's) incompetency.

Also, people speaking about the Fan Club designated lanyards and family/friend/guest passes being worthless is correct. When I arrived at the Convention Center on Wednesday to "register" and obtain my badge, I'd go up to a door marked "registration" with a piece of paper taped in the window. I'd open the door. I'd be stopped by some rude dork wearing a rentacop uniform or a Star Wars costume (I assume these were volunteers). They'd bark, "BADGES!" so I'd explain I didn't have one, and was trying to register. They'd usher me out the door and point in a general direction towards the Conseco Fieldhouse. So I'd go down a few more doors. There were no cues as to where to go, as almost EVERY door was marked "REGISTRATION" and there were no logical cues about where to go, such as people in a line outside a door, or an OPENED door, etc. So I'd walk 20 feet down and try again. And get YELLED at again. It was VERY important to have a "badge." Though, of course, we've all seen tales on this very site about people accessing the Lucas show, etc, with NO badge (and thus, no admission fee paid) at all. So you're treated like a thief and a scoundrel just to be on the up and up and PAY your way in (great customer service, makes me feel appreciated), and yet, a couple days into this mess, you can waltz in freely.

Back to the Fan Club scam. I'm not a Fan Club member, nor was a friend of mine. He was about 100 people in front of me on Thursday in the "Regular Turds" line; the Fan Club line was on the other side of the building. We finally get in three hours later, and the Store line is "capped." In other words, the store that was supposed to be open until 8 every day was closed. (In fact, the entire place shut down, save the Episodes I, II, IV, V, VI showings) at 7 or earlier every day. My friend and I huddled, and we decided we pretty much needed to be Fan Club members, so we could gain admittance an hour earlier the next day, to get into the Store, so we could get our Vaders and be done with it.

He realized that he'd bought the Early Bird Set, and thus had a trial membership. We went over to the Fan Club desks, he got his lanyard, and he got me a super dooper green family/friend/guest pass. We returned at 5:30 am on Friday and got in the Fan Club line. Nobody in the line or at the door checked his status as a Fan Club member, nor me. I retained my pass (three hours in line made me completely forget about it). Hence, the "Fan Club Membership", for this "Celebration", was a joke. We proceded to the Store, and nobody checked our status there, either. We finally got the Vaders, after much confusion at the checkout with the idiot cashier.

So while I can appreciate the fact that JoshEEE, mousedroid, and others had an enjoyable time, I surmise that many more people were disappointed and frustrated like I was. For the most part, the "Celebration"goers were polite. I think everyone resigned themselves to the fact that we were all in this disaster together, and to just make the best of it. But GenCon, the Convention Center employees (the people running the concessions stands, grounds, etc), clueless temps they hired as cashiers and for registration and such, and many of the volunteers were just downright rude. Hell, even an oldie at the Hasbro booth was rude to me, in his flaming bowling shirt. (Even Kenny Mayne was rude to me in the lavatory when I recognized him... D-list pseudocelebrities crack me up). In all, I found there to be absolutely no bang for the buck. If I wanted to see nerds dressed up in intergalactic fantasy attire and shop at the same time, well, that's what Midnight Madness is for. And for that, admission is free.

And, yes, I enjoy using quotation marks. They help convey the sarcasm.

Reaction score

Oh, and the "fast pass" for the Store/Vaders NEVER happened. Another joke, on us, by GenCon.

Reaction score

darth_epidermis said:
Before anyone says it, I realize that the Dome was being used on Saturday for the Colts fans to witness which future millionaires they'd be "drafting", and that the Lucas show was on Saturday. So, reserve the Dome way ahead of time for Lucas, etc, or, reschedule Lucas for another day or another time on Saturday. Simple.
Lucas only agreed to come to C3 three weeks before the show so GenCon would have had to pay tens of thousands of dollars (if not hundreds of thousands) to reserve the dome on the chance that he'd decide to come. And George decided what day suited him. If you're pissed at how GenCon treated you, imagine how he'd feel if they called him and said, "Y'know, Saturday really doesn't work for us. You'll have to come on Friday."

darth_epidermis said:
I mentioned to several people at the "Celebration" that they should have just GIVEN out the ridiculous "exclusive" Vader figure to attendees. The figure, as mentioned above, is largely a cheap rehash. The admission price should have included, gratis, a $5 recycled figure. For all intents and purposes, I paid over $100 for the privilege to wait in lines and be turned away (and not for lack of being punctual or planning) from events I wanted to see, and the honor of waiting in an enormous line to shop. Oh, and the Scalper Hall, of course.
Again, I think the figure distribution is the one thing that could've been done better, and the "one free with admission" is one possible solution, but even if they'd done that, you know someone would be complaining that GenCon jacked up the admission price to cover the cost of a "ridiculous...figure" that is a "cheap rehash." Which, if that's your opinion, why buy one at all, let alone stand in line for many, many hours to do so? I was lucky and only had to stand in line for 2 hours. If I'd seen it was going to be 5+ hours, I probably would have given up and resigned myself to either not having one, or paying scalper prices for one. And yes, I'd have been disappointed and a little angry about it.

darth_epidermis said:
...we've all seen tales on this very site about people accessing the Lucas show, etc, with NO badge (and thus, no admission fee paid) at all. So you're treated like a thief and a scoundrel just to be on the up and up and PAY your way in (great customer service, makes me feel appreciated), and yet, a couple days into this mess, you can waltz in freely.
There's no excuse fo them treating you rudely, but unfortunately that is human nature and GenCon can't psychologically screen all their volunteers. I don't know that I'd say people could "waltz in freely." My badge was certainly checked every time I entered the convention center, but I'll bet if I'd wanted to be sneaky and creative, I could have found a way in without a badge, or made up a fake one. I'm sure some people slipped past security, but I don't blame GenCon for that, I blame the scum that cheated the rest of us by sneaking in for free. If GenCon really are the bunch of money-grubbing lowlifes that so many people think they are, don't you think they'd have made every effort to ensure that each person in that convention center had paid to get in?

darth_epidermis said:
We went over to the Fan Club desks, he got his lanyard, and he got me a super dooper green family/friend/guest pass. We returned at 5:30 am on Friday and got in the Fan Club line. Nobody in the line or at the door checked his status as a Fan Club member, nor me. I retained my pass (three hours in line made me completely forget about it). Hence, the "Fan Club Membership", for this "Celebration", was a joke. We proceded to the Store, and nobody checked our status there, either.
Unless your friend kept his lanyard in his pocket, there was no need to check his membership status, because only F/C memebers could get those lanyards. They should have made you give them a coupon though. As for the store, you didn't have to be a fan club member to shop at the store, so I'm not sure why that's a complaint.

darth_epidermis said:
So while I can appreciate the fact that JoshEEE, mousedroid, and others had an enjoyable time, I surmise that many more people were disappointed and frustrated like I was.
And I can appreciate and sympathize with your frustration and disappointment. I'm sure it seems I'm defending GenCon at every turn, and if so, it's because I've been on the other side of the convention ropes. I help run the Pittsburgh Comicon every year (except this one obviously), so I understand things like trying to keep non-paying customers out, trying to control lines for popular guests, trying to reschedule events when a guest's flight is delayed, or explaining to irrate fans why the cost of admission can't be lowered simply because "the one guest [they] drove hundreds of miles to see" has cancelled. All of those things, and more, are viewed by the fans to be the fault of the convention organizers. I'm sure many of them picture us sitting up in the penthouse with our feet up, smoking cigars and counting the gate, when really we're running around, doing everything possible behind the scenes to make things run as smoothly as possible, despite the problems. That's why, even when things don't go my way at a convention, I rarely blame the promoters (the C3 store being the exception this time).

Reaction score

darth_epidermis said:
Oh, and the "fast pass" for the Store/Vaders NEVER happened. Another joke, on us, by GenCon.
I don't get why this was not done as promised, or why they didn't have a seperate line and/or booth for people that just wanted Vaders.

Reaction score

Simple math:

Logic X GenCon = 0