Garven Dreis in ESB?

Reaction score
I was watching ESB again and I noticed that in the scene where Leia briefs the pilots there is one wearing Garven Dreis' helmet! Later he is show boarding a Snowspeeder next to Luke. Now you may also see it when the pilots are running to their ships. I couldn't tell though.

Now obviously the prop was reused, Drewe Henley didn't play him, and this is not canonically Garven. But those were custom helmets and Garven's was destroyed along with him. So how could this canonically be explained? Did he actually survive the Death Star?
I just thought it was interesting, especially considering I have a Garven Dreis/Red Leader Focus.

I just wanted to put this out there and see what others think about it.

Reaction score
I did forget to mention the same helmet that was used for Dutch Vander in ANH appeared on Hobbie in ESB and Grizz in ROTJ. The helmets may have been slightly tweaked as the Hasbro figures suggest but I don't know if there were any differences in the movies.

Reaction score
GarvenDreis said:
I did forget to mention the same helmet that was used for Dutch Vander in ANH appeared on Hobbie in ESB and Grizz in ROTJ. The helmets may have been slightly tweaked as the Hasbro figures suggest but I don't know if there were any differences in the movies.
Not sure about in the movie (dont think we actually see Hobbie on screen do we?) But the figures helmets of Red Leader and Hobbie are very different with the Hasbro figures.

Reaction score
Idpullthecurtain said:
GarvenDreis said:
Not sure about in the movie (dont think we actually see Hobbie on screen do we?) But the figures helmets of Red Leader and Hobbie are very different with the Hasbro figures.
Yes sir, Hobby is the handsome young pilot who says, "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" during Leia's briefing. We never actually see him piloting his Snowspeeder, though.

Reaction score
Idpullthecurtain said:
GarvenDreis said:
Yes, and there are some common production and publicity shots. You meant Gold Leader right? I did notice that since the fin is painted gray on Gold Leader but not on Hobbie and Grizz's figures. Though these are just figures, not 100% screen accurate. Grizz's helmet on the figure is dark green opposed to the dark gray shown on the other two.

Another thing is Zev's helmet. The Hasbro figure just showed it as a plain helmet with a gray stripe but the movie says otherwise.

Like somewhat of a Wedge style but not clean line, more like scoring marks. Also Zev's gunner, Kit Valent appears to use the same helmet Zev does.

kk1

Reaction score
Cool, been looking up which helmets were reused and found this in another forum

Also Wes Janson's helmet is the same as the unknown pilot's (red 12?) who is shown when red 10 dies

Reaction score

Hah! Garven's helmet is even in ROTJ! Far left side.

Also Gold Leader's Helmet from ANH also appeared in ESB along with ROTJ.

ANH ESB ROTJ

kk1

Reaction score
Wow even in ROTJ, and looking at some better views of Wedge's and Theron Nett's helmets from the side, Theron Nett's is just Wedge's with the 2 yellow circles added and center stripe made a solid color, I wonder which was made first, Wedge's turned into Theron's or the other way around
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1031805/ (side view of Theron's)

Last edited:

kk1

Reaction score
This thread got me hunting around to see if I could find any more reused helmets, well lets just say there are a lot. There are at least 20 pilots on Hoth and I think I've identified just about every helmet used. Most can be seen at the briefing with Leia on the side of the X-wing

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow! Nice work!

Red Leader's is the most unique of the helmets and really stands out. That's what I liked it so much when I was littler when it was in a sticker book. :D At first I thought it was a seashell. :grin:

kk1

Reaction score
More fun with pilots, watching the end of Star Wars I never noticed one of the pilots who runs up to Luke actually has a decorated helmet and not just a generic one

Also Zev's helmet isn't just a dingey gray like the figure there is actually a pattern covered up by the grime, when he's looking for Han and Luke and the sun hits it you can see black and yellow "curves"

Last edited:
Reaction score
When they were making the film, I wonder if they ever imagined that a bunch of geeks would one day be poring over still photos of them, trying to identify & track helmets. It reminds me a bit of a scene from a psycho movie, where they break into someone's apartment and find an entire wall of photographs, all of the same person.

Reaction score
I guess that a rational explanation would be that some pilots were considered as heroes (liek the pilots who attacked the first Death Star). Their markings were probably shown in a "Rebellion hall of fame" or "Fallen for the cause", and other would take on the markings out of respect for them. You can easily imagine that a lot of pilots know each other, even if they are not based on the same planets or affected to the same squadrons. If they were to lose a friend, they would try to honor their memory.

In one of the comic books from the "Rebellion" era, we can see a room full of holos of dead rebel pilots in the Yavin IV base.

Reaction score
It still seems really far fetched though. It's just something we have to brush off.

But it does make me happy knowing Red Leader's helmet is still intact. Wish I could buy it. :( (and they don't make replicas of it either)

But yeah, the holomemeorial was cool. And Red Leader was in it on the far right. :D

Reaction score
I never noticed that there actually were unique symbols on Zev's helmet before.

And that pilot with the blue helmet would make a for a great generic pilot in a yavin pilot set.

kk1

Reaction score
I guess that a rational explanation would be that some pilots were considered as heroes (liek the pilots who attacked the first Death Star).

To me Empire and Jedi are a 2 part remake of Star Wars (starts with Rebels on a hidden base ends with the destruction of the DS) so they're not really reusing the helmet designs. After seeing all of these reused for Empire and Jedi though I have to wonder what happened to Red 10's and Gold 5's helmets, I would guess they were repainted during the filming of Star Wars and so didn't survive.

kk1

Reaction score
Fascinating detective work on the helmets guys. I'm definitely willing to bet that Zev Senesca's is really Theron Nett's helmet painted over as evidenced by the faint markings still there.
I tried matching the markings up with one of the missing helmets but they don't really match either Red 10 or Gold 5, the rest of the markings match on all 3 but the fronts dont. Though really you could start with Gold 5's and turn it into Red 10's and then turn that into Zev's pretty easily, maybe that's what happened and the markings on Zev's were actually added.

Reaction score
I have another possible explanation for the absence of a couple ANH helmets in ESB. There are multiple 'generic' blue logo snowspeeder pilots in ESB that appear to be made from fiberglass (having seen on of these at SW Celebration V). One of the vacuformed ANH helmets may have been sacrificed to make the molds for the ESB fiberglass helmets.

And that after-the-battle blue helmet fascinates me! I'm on the tail end of a making replicas of all the TOS x wing helmets and this would be the only one I missed. I think I can wing it from what we can see in the frame grabs, but I just wish I had a wee bit better pic of that one!

Mark

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I mostly wanted to say THANKS to everyone who contributed to this thread; this one and a couple threads at the RPF were great resources for a project that I am just now completing; see the photo below!

Mark

kk1

Reaction score
Wow really great work, I only see a couple things you missed. Pops' helmet (Gold 5) was gold behind the symbols(and the middle stripe too) not white. I wish I could find the thread but someone on these forums made a really nice replica of it. And Zev Senesca's has those little black and yellow marks on it.

Notice how white it is by the chin guard and next to the center stripe but it's a gold color (same as the stripe) behind the symbols. You can see it real well in a side view.
http://www.inadream-moviecaps.com/caps/displayimage.php?pid=17631&fullsize=1

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it's RPF, they're more than likely fan-made. The big companies that even come close to putting out that kind of quality charge an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
Reaction score
kk1- Thanks for pointing that out!! Not sure how that escaped me (maybe has something to do with making 18 helmets). Looks like I'm not quite finished after all! Breaking out the masking tape...

M

Wow really great work, I only see a couple things you missed. Pops' helmet (Gold 5) was gold behind the symbols(and the middle stripe too) not white. I wish I could find the thread but someone on these forums made a really nice replica of it. And Zev Senesca's has those little black and yellow marks on it.

Notice how white it is by the chin guard and next to the center stripe but it's a gold color (same as the stripe) behind the symbols. You can see it real well in a side view.
Movie Caps: Click image to close this window

Reaction score
If it's RPF, they're more than likely fan-made. The big companies that even come close to putting out that kind of quality charge an arm and a leg.
I made these all myself from my own molds. I created the molds nearly 4 years ago with the intention of doing thsi project, but just got around to doing it this year. In the mean time, I've been doing kits and built helmets for members of the Rebel Legion.

And thank you to everyone for the compliments!

M

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Chaps,
Sorry to bring this old post but I want to share this.
This picture is from the Making of Empire Strikes Back, the scene was cut but shows Hobbie (Rogue Four) flying his snowspeeder to crash on General Veers' AT-AT.
As you can notice, he is wearing Zev Senesca's helmet.

Zev Senesca

And this is Zev's gunner, looks like a generic helmet.

Instead all the new scenes (bespin), this was the best to add, the death of General Veers.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Funny, that's actually the first thing I noticed when I saw the deleted scene. I knew there was footage of Hobbie in the cockpit out there we hadn't seen, but thought it odd because of the other set photos we've seen of Hobbie have him wearing the Gold Leader helmet.

Reaction score
Hmm interesting, and good eye, I've watched the scene Star Wars Episode V (Deleted Scenes) - The Fate of General Veers - Vidéo Dailymotion but never noticed that. Wonder where this pic is from then, is that even the same guy or did everyone just assume that ?

And btw I dont think Zev's gunner's (Kit Valent) helmet IS generic because at least some of it got painted (the stripe is gray).
That pic is from the second unit shots of pilots jumping into their speeders and the cockpits closing and then taking off, you can see the hanger interior in the background. They must have accidentally switched helmets out between filming on the hanger set and then filming in the cockpit set.

The painted all the helmets from ANH to make them even grimier. Dak got a generic helmet that got a paint job for ESB, it's possible Zev's gunner had a generic helmet that got weathered too. But we see to little of it to know for sure. I need to go look at all the hero helmets from ANH and see if it might match up with any of those.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your comments.
Here are more details.

This is another shot of Zev's Gunner. To me his helmet is a generic.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/WWIIRAFPilot/ZevsGunner_zpsab0e70c4.png

This is the the blonde mustache guy with his gunner and his gunner is using Wes Janson's helmet (Wedge's gunner).

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/WWIIRAFPilot/SnowspeederPilot-Gunner02_zps8cf9eb13.png

Wes Janson

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/WWIIRAFPilot/WesJanson_zps0ddcbd34.png

Tiree's helmet and generic helmet

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/WWIIRAFPilot/SnowspeederPilot-Gunner01_zps29ccc331.png

Red Leader's helmet and generic helmet but red insignia

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/WWIIRAFPilot/SnowspeederPilot-Gunner03_zps51fd3778.png

I can't recognize this helmet

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/WWIIRAFPilot/SnowspeederPilot-Gunner04_zps44653e57.png

but has that weird eye so maybe is Porkins or Hobbie's helmet, tiree's helmet has the same weird eye but I think is not that helmet.

Thank you.

kk1

Reaction score
The painted all the helmets from ANH to make them even grimier. Dak got a generic helmet that got a paint job for ESB, it's possible Zev's gunner had a generic helmet that got weathered too. But we see to little of it to know for sure. I need to go look at all the hero helmets from ANH and see if it might match up with any of those.
Hah just rewatched it and both the shots of Zev's gunner and Luke's are of Dak. The weathering on the helmets is identical, so just creative editing. So yeah both just the same generic helmet (though as mentioned dirtied up and the blue symbols have little bits missing).