Game of Thrones on HBO

Reaction score
I won’t go down that Last Jedi path...because I liked TLJ. This was just as divisive, dividing fandom down the middle. My wife & I found the finale satisfying, and most of the characters ended up in a place they wanted, or deserved. People didn’t want the show to end...and many were going to be upset and unhappy no matter what the writers came up with(maybe blame Martin for not having the book done). Many people on these boards consider themselves armchair writers, but at the end of the day...it was somebody else’s vision. I’m just along for the ride. That being said, the last TWO seasons did feel rushed, and for certain I would have handled Jamie/Cersei differently. Ultimately...I agree with Stephen’s King’s assessment. Good, bad, or whatever...still 8 of the best seasons ever committed to TV. Thanks to cast & crew! Looking forward to the prequel.

Reaction score
I read all the leaks hoping they were wrong but sadly they were 100% accurate. A mediocre way to end a once great series—we definitely deserved more answers than what we got. 90% of the show is made irrelevant in this episode. Who was the Prince that was promised? What was the point of Aryas faceless man training that she only used on the Frey’s? Why was Jon’s parentage significant if it didn’t even matter in the end? Was Bran an evil genius the entire time claiming Jon as the rightful ruler but then banishing him? These among many many others were sadly unanswered and it left a bad taste after seeing this ala Last Jedi. We don’t want our expectations subverted we want them satisfied, when will they learn?

Riddle me this: Jon entered the throne room alone with Dany so how did they know he stabbed her? For all they knew she just regretted destroying the city, melted the throne and flew off into the sunset so how exactly did they know she died? Is Jon that stupid to tell them? If so he lived up to his motto you know nothing Jon Snow. Welp it’s all over now we can get back to our mundane lives now.
The Prince that was promised was Jon in my opinion. He was reborn, he brought the flaming sword (Danaerys) to combat the impending darkness (Night King). He technically is the 'one true king', but the prophesy never said he had to rule over the seven kingdoms. Jon did what he thought was right in all situations. He bent the knee to save the north. He killed Danaerys to save the realm. Doing what is right doesn't always make you popular with everyone... it's simple as that. Jon got a good end. He belongs on the wall. He will have no children, so no Targaryens will have a claim any more.

Arya used her training several times. I would have liked to see her do more in the final episodes, but she killed the Night King... what more do you want?

Bran can make choices without emotion. He's able to make choices with the wisdom of all time.

Jon was the only one that went up to the throne room... he didn't sneak up there. He would have had blood on his hands and blood on the ground. He could have lied and said the dragon ate her or something, but when has Jon lied ... even when it would do nothing but benefit everyone. He accepted his fate and did what was right.

Reaction score
Sitting here this morning, I'm still filled with mixed emotions. :\

I loved this show. I would rewatch the entire series in full prior to a new season starting, each season.

Did I think the ending would go a different direction? Absolutely. Am I upset how it wrapped up last night? Nah.

HBO delivered an amazing series - probably the most ambitious project that will ever reach our television screens. I'm gonna miss these characters. :'(

Reaction score
Lackluster finale to a lackluster final season. At least it stayed the course.

Reaction score
* Arya
I would have preferred her end be this --- when Jaime reaches Cersei at the end of Episode Five, they embrace, and suddenly Cersei gets a blade...only to see Jaime remove his face and Arya standing over her as she dies. Arya then is killed in the collapse. (Jaime perished on the beach).

Reaction score
I won’t go down that Last Jedi path...because I liked TLJ. This was just as divisive, dividing fandom down the middle. My wife & I found the finale satisfying, and most of the characters ended up in a place they wanted, or deserved. People didn’t want the show to end...and many were going to be upset and unhappy no matter what the writers came up with(maybe blame Martin for not having the book done). Many people on these boards consider themselves armchair writers, but at the end of the day...it was somebody else’s vision. I’m just along for the ride. That being said, the last TWO seasons did feel rushed, and for certain I would have handled Jamie/Cersei differently. Ultimately...I agree with Stephen’s King’s assessment. Good, bad, or whatever...still 8 of the best seasons ever committed to TV. Thanks to cast & crew! Looking forward to the prequel.
Agree.

The last of this series felt rushed, but I like closure. The end may not have been what I chose, but endings can spur new beginnings. I doubt Maisie Williams is planning on playing Arya for the rest of her life, but I'd watch a show like GoT where she finds something west of Westeros.

I liked that Tyrion got a say in what happens and that he survived to fix the mistakes he made. He made the whole show for me, so I guess your mileage may vary if you decided your favorite was Jon or Danaerys?

Reaction score
* Arya
I would have preferred her end be this --- when Jaime reaches Cersei at the end of Episode Five, they embrace, and suddenly Cersei gets a blade...only to see Jaime remove his face and Arya standing over her as she dies. Arya then is killed in the collapse. (Jaime perished on the beach).
OR, there's a line at the end where Sansa asks if anyone found Arya and then we see her sailing off using the faceless man trick to conceal her identity ... and a wink to the camera.

Reaction score
Jon left the wall at the end and pulled a "Mance" --- he ain't coming back.
he will live out his days as a free man in the north, with the REST of the free folk.
(he is now "King Beyond The Wall" , like Mance was).

also,
re: Bran v Night King:
if we consider the Night King as the ultimate villain in this epic -- (dude wants to take over all of westeros and convert everyone into an undead 'follower-of-the-Night-King) -- then it makes perfect sense that his "One True Nemesis" in this epic would be the guy who takes over all of westeros and earns the Iron Throne in the end (and converts everyone into a 'follower-of-Bran'). this feels very solid, like it was a foundation-stone of the story even before it was written. my guess: this comes directly from Martin. giving the throne to Bran in the end makes perfect sense (re: Bran v. Night King), since Bran is the antithesis of the Night King.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Riddle me this: Jon entered the throne room alone with Dany so how did they know he stabbed her? For all they knew she just regretted destroying the city, melted the throne and flew off into the sunset so how exactly did they know she died? Is Jon that stupid to tell them? If so he lived up to his motto you know nothing Jon Snow. Welp it’s all over now we can get back to our mundane lives now.
There was a visible stain of blood where she died.

Reaction score
speculation..?
I think the "Lord of Light" was actually the three eyed raven all along.
(just like the "old gods" were actually the three eyed raven all along).

ie: we know the three eyed raven can "see the past";
we also know the three eyed raven can "change" the past (because "Hodor").

by the same token, we are told the three eyed raven can "see" the present.
it stands to reason that he can "change" the present -- so what would those changes look like?

we know, for many years, the old-dude-three-eyed-raven was sitting under that tree, with an ability to subtly communicate with people in the past,
through mind melds and voices (like Hodor in the past, or Young Ned who hears Bran's voice); it stands to reason he can also communicate with people in the present,
through mind melds and voices (like the "voice in the flame") -- this would seem like "religion", to people like the red woman, who are aware of this "higher power".

for example, the three eyed raven is connected to the magic trees; the starks worshiped the magic trees (aka: the "old gods"); therefore it stands to reason that when the starks "pray" to the "tree god", they are actually talking directly to the three eyed raven. LOL. ((so the "old gods" were actually just the old-dude-three-eyed-raven, sitting under that tree, making "changes" to the story, as he sees fit)).

ok, so... what about the new gods then? what about the voice in the flames? --> we know the three eyed raven can make his voice heard in the past (young Ned); IF he can also make his voice heard to people in the present (red woman), then this would mean, the "old god" is ALSO the "new god" too. LOL ((aka: the three eyed raven is also the lord of light -- the "old god" and the "new god" are the same guy -- one, as he visits the "past"(old god); and the other, as he visits the "present"(new god)).

^^ re: Bran v. Night King -- this makes perfect sense -- the lord of light is the antithesis of the night king. (which we already KNOW to be Bran).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Considering this is probably the only Song of Ice and Fire closure we'll ever get I'm satisfied with how it ended. I don't think the books ending would have tidied everything up so nice though if Martin held to form.

Reaction score
I feel like they could've gotten 2-3 more seasons out of the content of this final season - maybe a half season of Dany and Jon wrestling internally of what to do after the fall of King's Landing. Despite the compressed feeling of the season, I am mostly satisfied with the ending. I never saw Bran coming, that's for sure.

I also loved what turned out to be the last conversational line of the series. Pure GoT goodness!

Reaction score
I loved it!
Putting aside Bran getting the Iron Throne, the main complaint is Dany going mad queen.
But I knew it was going to happen. I expected Dany to go mad queen. I saw it coming way back in earlier seasons. Her story logically couldn't have ended any different.
Neither did the actors:

“I think it’s going to divide,” Harington says of the finale’s fan reaction. “But if you track her story all the way back, she does some terrible things. She crucifies people. She burns people alive. This has been building. So, we have to say to the audience: ‘You’re in denial about this woman as well. You knew something was wrong. You’re culpable, you cheered her on.’”Harington adds he worries the final two episodes will be accused of being sexist, an ongoing criticism of GoT that has recently resurfaced perhaps more pointedly than ever before. “One of my worries with this is we have Cersei and Dany, two leading women, who fall,” he says. “The justification is: Just because they’re women, why should they be the goodies? They’re the most interesting characters in the show. And that’s what Thrones has always done. You can’t just say the strong women are going to end up the good people. Dany is not a good person. It’s going to open up discussion but there’s nothing done in this show that isn’t truthful to the characters. And when have you ever seen a woman play a dictator?

Some people are complaining about Jamie's redemption being ruined too. Couldn't be farther from the truth.
Jaime is still redeemed. Yes he went back to Cersei. But he did just to try and save her life, not to fight to keep her Queen.
He didn't kill Brienne before he left. He didn't sabotage Dany before he left. He didn't mess with Jon before he left. He just left to save (or die with) his sister/lover.
There's a theory that he actually was the one that rang the bells like Tyrion asked him too. So his redemption stands true.

The show was great. The final season was great. The final episode was great.

Benioff and Weiss were said to have been told the outline of Martin's ending by Martin himself.
It will be interesting to see how people react to Martin's version when he finally writes his last book if it coincides with what we saw.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let's not forget the 2nd season finale where Dany had that vision of the Iron Throne where she found her dragons.
The throne room was wrecked and it was snowing.
Back then I guess people assumed it was the Night King that won and brought winter to King's Landing.
But in reality it was her and her Dragon that made it "snow" ash over the city.

This ending has been in the works for almost the entirety of the series.

Reaction score
I have no problem with Bran getting the iron throne. as I said in a previous post, Bran was the antithesis of the night king -- and the night king was the main antagonist.

the 'night king / army of the dead' was the main conflict in this epic. (aka: "Bran v. Night King" -- and Bran won).

--> placing anyone else on the throne (besides Bran) would make the night king arc irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone really has a problem with him getting the throne. It’s how we got there (or didn’t). Why doesn’t anyone even mention Jon is still the rightful ruler? Sam his best friend did not even protest he’s just like oh let’s have a vote. Bran doesn’t want to be a lord but then “that’s why I’m here” What??

Coz

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone really has a problem with him getting the throne. It’s how we got there (or didn’t). Why doesn’t anyone even mention Jon is still the rightful ruler? Sam his best friend did not even protest he’s just like oh let’s have a vote. Bran doesn’t want to be a lord but then “that’s why I’m here” What??
I think it was understood that since Jon killed the queen, making him king would cause the unsullied and Dothraki to loose their minds. They were trying to avert war. I also think Bran's "why do you think I came all this way?" was his idea of humor.

Reaction score
Unsullied went off to somewhere else and Dothraki probably would just choose a new ruler. It literally doesn't make sense to have Jon banished.

Coz

Reaction score
Unsullied went off to somewhere else and Dothraki probably would just choose a new ruler. It literally doesn't make sense to have Jon banished.
Unsullied were there when Bran was chosen. Grey Worm wanted Jon dead. If they had named him King, his head would have exploded. They would have rampaged with the Dothraki. They left after Bran was chosen and Jon banished.

Reaction score
EP06 of GOT was fantastic, and a great way to wrap up the series. I have had 0 issues with S08 (or any previous season), and felt that the finale in particular was very emotional & intentionally understated.

The early scene with Dany speaking to the hordes of Dothraki about taking over the world reminded me of old news clips of AH speaking to his soldiers in Germany, pre-WW II. She had obviously gone insane/power hungry, and had to be stopped - even though she herself thought she was doing the right thing.

I completely get why Jon felt he had to kill Dany, and while I was 100% expecting this & completely agree with the reasons why he did this - it was still hard to watch.

What did slightly surprise me is that Drogon didn't kill Jon after Dany's death - but it also wasn't clear that he knew what Jon did. He obviously "sensed" that Dany was dead, since he appeared soon after. His rage seemed to be directed towards Jon, but for some reason he decided to spare him. The last scenes with Drogon picking up Dany's body & flying away (to parts unknown) were very fitting & appropriate.

Bran becoming the "Broken king" was also appropriate, and I can't think of a better choice as ruler.

Interesting how the book that was being looked at (towards the end) was titled "A Song of Ice & Fire", which was obviously a homage to the novels that GOT are based on - nice touch.

The final scene(s) of Jon & the Wildings going off into the forest was great, and a nice way to end the show.

So, in essence - this was an excellent series & I can't imagine a fantasy-type show of this caliber ever coming out again. In any case, I'm definitely going to do a complete re-watch of the entire series at some point in the next couple of years.

Reaction score
Unsullied were there when Bran was chosen. Grey Worm wanted Jon dead. If they had named him King, his head would have exploded. They would have rampaged with the Dothraki. They left after Bran was chosen and Jon banished.
I wasn't sure what exactly became of the Dothraki. I saw Unsullied on the ships, but is it implied the Dothraki were down below deck and left with them? It would make the most sense.

The way I see it, if the Unsullied and Dothraki have gone back home, then at some point Bran can always pardon Jon for essentially saving everyone, twice. It was Jon who brought everyone together to fight the Night King. He saved everyone again by killing the Mad Queen.

Jon getting sent back to the wall just doesn't sit well with me given all he has done for their entire world. Everyone owes him a huge debt of gratitude.

Reaction score
Jon didn't want to be king... how many times does he say it. He's from the north and he goes back north. He is given a command at Castle Black (however good or bad that is) and he is reunited with people that he had befriended and helped so he's welcomed. I don't see Jon as being banished really, he's allowed to go north. Sansa is in the north and she can do what she wants. Jon is an honorable man and will likely stay until another war forces him to come south.

His punishment is akin to sending a kid to his room when the room has a TV, Playstation and Internet.

You think Bran cares about the Unsullied or Dothraki after they leave? He's Jon's 'brother' so even if Jon decides he's taking a vacation to Dorne, you think Bran will force him back north? Most of the people of Westeros know that Jon Snow saved them all.

I am shocked that so many want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. Game of Thrones was a pinnacle of television. It had a rushed ending, but how many shows don't even get an ending? How many shows have a perfect ending?

Reaction score
Jon did not stay at castle black. he went north with the wildlings. they closed the gate behind him.
he looked longingly back at the gate as it closed -- he's not coming back.
he's the "King Beyond The Wall" now -- he's the leader of the Free Folk.

^^ (this is a "perfect ending" for the character). :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Jon did not stay at castle black. he went north with the wildlings. they closed the gate behind him.
he looked longingly back at the gate as it closed -- he's not coming back.
he's the "King Beyond The Wall" now -- he's the leader of the Free Folk.

^^ (this is a "perfect ending" for the character). :p
That certainly is implied.

If people want to be upset that we didn't get more three-eyed raven magic or more death from white walkers or a better end for Cersei, or more exposition on how or why... then I guess you can complain. My biggest beef is with the "Long Night" and the strategy to win it.... it was pretty dumb honestly. However, there was really no way to defeat Cersei first and then deal with the dead, so they had to finish it at Winterfell and then move on to take down Cersei.

Dany was never going to be the queen in the end. Jon didn't want it. Sansa was a possibility, but she gets to be queen of the north, which she is best suited for. Tyrion would never be accepted as king. Who else then? Greyjoy? Tully? Martel? Gray Worm? Sam?

Reaction score
Dany was never going to be the queen in the end. Jon didn't want it. Sansa was a possibility, but she gets to be queen of the north, which she is best suited for. Tyrion would never be accepted as king. Who else then? Greyjoy? Tully? Martel? Gray Worm? Sam?
it makes perfect sense that it was Bran.

(re: Bran v. Night King).

the "Long Night" arc is the main conflict of this epic; the Night King is the main antagonist of the story.

and Bran was the Night King's nemesis --> the three eyed raven is the antithesis of the Night King --> one OR the other would win in the end.

this makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep. What’s there to talk about? There’s a reason there was a petition with over 1 million signatures. It obviously won’t get remade but these are the people bringing you the next Star Wars movies so have fun!

Reaction score
These so-called petitions are embarassing imo. All these folks pointing pitchforks at D&D - they were praised for how many seasons?

After many days to digest how it all came to an end, I am fine with it. I look forward to the eventual 4k release of ALL Seasons, and plan on watching it all again.

Reaction score
Yep. What’s there to talk about? There’s a reason there was a petition with over 1 million signatures. It obviously won’t get remade but these are the people bringing you the next Star Wars movies so have fun!
The petition is stupid. People go out of their way to hate things on the internet and jump on bandwagons just because it's "trendy."

I am really excited for the Benioff and Weiss Star Wars trilogy. As long as Ruin Johnson has nothing to do with it.
I just want Star Wars to be great again after the catastrophic failure of TLJ.

Reaction score
These so-called petitions are embarassing imo. All these folks pointing pitchforks at D&D - they were praised for how many seasons?

After many days to digest how it all came to an end, I am fine with it. I look forward to the eventual 4k release of ALL Seasons, and plan on watching it all again.
People didn't get the exact season they imagined, so they think they're entitled to a new one. It's the same as all those lunatics who tried to get The Last Jedi remade. It's insane.

The petition is stupid. People go out of their way to hate things on the internet and jump on bandwagons just because it's "trendy."

I am really excited for the Benioff and Weiss Star Wars trilogy. As long as Ruin Johnson has nothing to do with it.
I just want Star Wars to be great again after the catastrophic failure of TLJ
Come on. You MUST see the hypocrisy here.

Are people done talking about this already?
I mean I'm glad nobody is trashing it anymore because I loved the final season but it still needs to be talked about positively.
You know, I'll bet there's plenty of people out there who feel the same way about TLJ.

Reaction score
Game of thrones was fantastic when Benioff and Weiss had source material to go on. Once they surpassed the books and started writing on their own the show was not the same. As long as the current “story group” is in power and/or they are letting them write the new SW I won’t be holding my breath for quality product.

Reaction score
People didn't get the exact season they imagined, so they think they're entitled to a new one. It's the same as all those lunatics who tried to get The Last Jedi remade. It's insane.

Come on. You MUST see the hypocrisy here.

You know, I'll bet there's plenty of people out there who feel the same way about TLJ.

Vicarious_Fan? Is that you?
It can't be because the grammar and spelling are correct.
I guess somebody else has a hate boner for me
:wtf:

GNT

Reaction score
It's extremely silly, like HBO would want to spend millions of dollars to redo a season. Just crazy, no one will be ever happy with how a show wraps up. Everyone should be grateful they did wrap it up because a lot of shows get cancelled and don't have conclusions.