Game of Thrones on HBO

Reaction score
Just caught the premiere episode. This was awesome. Tons of barbaric events, murder, nudity. All the things I like in television. Even had Sean Bean. Can't wait to see more.

Reaction score
Only thing I didn't like was how they handled the last scene. The scene in the book was much, much better. Wish they would have included Jaime and Cersei's dialogue during that scene.

Dany's got a great caboose...among other things.

Reaction score
Don't have HBO but I'ver heard great things abut this show. I think it might need to be a DVD pickup later.

Reaction score
Blight said:
He plays boromir essentially no less.
Indeed...

...makes me wish I still had HBO. I love the books, despite Martin constantly stabbing you in the back. He makes Joss Whedon look like a saint, at times.

Reaction score
jediraven82 said:
Only thing I didn't like was how they handled the last scene. The scene in the book was much, much better. Wish they would have included Jaime and Cersei's dialogue during that scene.

Dany's got a great caboose...among other things.
Can you elaborate a little on how the book differs in regards to that scene?

Overall, was really impressed with the first episode. HBO has already green-lit a 2nd season as well.

Reaction score
caught this at my friend's pad. (We call it "the compound"
) Overall I felt it should've been stronger, but it was good -to very good range. 3.5/5

When you start off a series, you should be very impressive from the gate. The show just didn't leave me with that feeling at the end. The end of that episode was interesting though. Bad how they didn't show more of the things that were at the beginning of the episode.

Reaction score
Great series so far. Loved the first two episodes(my wife even dug it) and can't wait to watch the third. Hopefully I'll have some time tonight.

Reaction score
Yep, still great and viewership increased for the 3rd episode. The latest episode mostly involved putting people in their places and should be the lead up to some big things.

I absolutely love Maisie Williams as Arya so far. I think she has been the best so far followed by the great Peter Dinklage as the Imp.

The only thing I'm disappointed with so far is the lack of Ghost thus far.

Reaction score
Wow the next episode looks explosive. So Ned is being cast out by The King because his wife suspects the imp of being the one who tried to kill his son?

Reaction score
Blight said:
Wow the next episode looks explosive. So Ned is being cast out by The King because his wife suspects the imp of being the one who tried to kill his son?
Actually, that's not the reason. Robert wants to send assassin's to kill Dany and Ned wants no part of it. It's a continuation of their discussion during lunch off of the Kingsroad.

Reaction score
I've been recording these and finally got around to watching the first 4 episodes yesterday in a mini-marathon, I have to say I'm impressed, not just with the acting but the production values are top notch.

I found Aidan Gillen as Baelish a bit distracting since I keep seeming him as Mayor Carcetti from The Wire!

Reaction score
Caught this the other day - not bad at all...

I found the second and third eps to be better than the first, but that's okay, as I guess the first ep set the scene soundly enough...

Can't wait to see more!

Reaction score
Sounds great - I have never been dissapointed with a show produced by HBO (Sopranos, Treme, Rome, The Wire, Deadwood, & Carnivale) so I'll also be checking this out once the first season is released on DVD.

Reaction score
Blight said:
Just caught the premiere episode. This was awesome. Tons of barbaric events, murder, nudity.
I have been trying to give this series a chance, but the things you mention seem to be the focal point of the ENTIRE series, rather than interesting characters or story or a reason for me to care. I like nudity and [censored] as much as they next guy, but it seems to really just be taking taboo topics, considers the angle of reality TV, and then applies it to fiction. I've never read the books, but I imagine they have to be at least, if not moreso, as explicite as the series -which explains, I hope, why I never bothered to pick up the books. [censored] and violence are great, as long as they further the story and aren't the story itself. Even the midget, who I love in 'The Station Agent', is just a [censored]-out kind of guy so that we can consider our own prejudices because of his size. We'd like him even if he weren't a midget, which begs the question why he is one, at all. I watched 4 episodes, in a row, on-demand and just couldn't get into it. I found myself falling asleep towards te middle of the second, and only gave the next two episodes a shot because everyone on these kinds of forums say it's a great show. I don't see it.

Reaction score
Chamberlain said:
Blight said:
Just caught the premiere episode. This was awesome. Tons of barbaric events, murder, nudity.
I have been trying to give this series a chance, but the things you mention seem to be the focal point of the ENTIRE series, rather than interesting characters or story or a reason for me to care. I like nudity and [censored] as much as they next guy, but it seems to really just be taking taboo topics, considers the angle of reality TV, and then applies it to fiction. I've never read the books, but I imagine they have to be at least, if not moreso, as explicite as the series -which explains, I hope, why I never bothered to pick up the books. [censored] and violence are great, as long as they further the story and aren't the story itself. Even the midget, who I love in 'The Station Agent', is just a [censored]-out kind of guy so that we can consider our own prejudices because of his size. We'd like him even if he weren't a midget, which begs the question why he is one, at all. I watched 4 episodes, in a row, on-demand and just couldn't get into it. I found myself falling asleep towards te middle of the second, and only gave the next two episodes a shot because everyone on these kinds of forums say it's a great show. I don't see it.
You should check out Spartacus : Sand and Blood, it makes GoT look tame.

Reaction score
I saws a Spartacus series on Netflix; couldn't get into that, either. Mostly because of the 300 vibe they seemed to be going for with that show. I swear 300 would have been 15 minutes long if 98% of the movie wasn't in slow motion.

Reaction score
I was never a fan of Spartacus. Stylistically it looked impressive the first week, but to me it was more Beowulf than 300!

As for Game of Thrones it just gets better every week! I've only seen the first three, have episodes four and five to watch! Hopefully get to see them this weekend when this missus is off night duties this week!

Reaction score
Chamberlain said:
Blight said:
Well, you're gonna hate missing out on the Red Wedding.

Reaction score
Chamberlain said:
I saws a Spartacus series on Netflix; couldn't get into that, either. Mostly because of the 300 vibe they seemed to be going for with that show. I swear 300 would have been 15 minutes long if 98% of the movie wasn't in slow motion.
What tv shows DO/DID you like then?
That might help reveal more about your particular taste of entertainment.
And if it sucks, we can all laugh at you.

Reaction score
MrPickles said:
Chamberlain said:
What tv shows DO/DID you like then?
That might help reveal more about your particular taste of entertainment.
And if it sucks, we can all laugh at you.
This supposes that I'm laughing at people who like Game of Thrones. I'm not, though. It just isn't my cup of tea.

Six Feet Under, Reign: The Conqueror, Are you Being Served?, battlestar Galactica. I like lots of stuff. This series just isn't one of them.

Reaction score
just finished watching ep 7 and this show gets better by the week. My wife is also hooked. I was skeptical at first but now I can't get enough of it. too bad there are only 10 episodes per season

Reaction score
Ya'll are gonna lose your minds in season 2.

I can't get HBO Go to work so I have to wait for the new episode. Stupid HBO Go

Reaction score
SSIntimidator said:
Ya'll are gonna lose your minds in season 2.

I can't get HBO Go to work so I have to wait for the new episode. Stupid HBO Go
I couldn't get on hbogo that first night for obvious reasons. Everyone and their mom was on there. Got it to work the next day though. It is a really good episode. Just sucks cause now I don't have a new one to watch tonight.

Reaction score
I'm all caught up so I can click the thread now...good thing that no one really gave anything away.

After the cliffhanger on the last episode I HAD to read some of the spoilers online about the deaths of a couple characters. This season is not going to end in a pleasant way depending on how they cut the seasons to the books.

I'm really curious about Benji's arc and the white walkers and the night watch going past the wall looking for him. This seems like it's taking an epic quest direction for the story. It's also really interesting to see that the Dothrakis (sp) are going to try to invade the seven kingdoms using "wooden horses".

Reaction score
Blight said:
This season is not going to end in a pleasant way depending on how they cut the seasons to the books.
From what I understand AGOT is one season of 10 episodes. The other books have yet to be decided but they have talked about cutting them up over two seasons. Personally I'd rather just have one long 24 (or so) episode season than cutting them up.

Reaction score
They've got a TON of events to cover in 3 episodes, I wonder what will get cut out. I would love for HBO to realize that these seasons need to be longer and give it the okay. So many things happen in AGOT, but it those events are dwarfed by all the *** that goes down in ACoK and ASoS.

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I thought that's what I heard. To me there's really only one big thing coming, I can't even remember the rest of the book and what's left out.

I just want to see the damn Red Wedding!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Wow wow what a great episode tonight. Tons of tension. They're going to war! (rob stark versus the lanisters). I hope tyrion survives.

Reaction score
Man I cannot WAIT until season 2. A Clash of Kings was an epic book but A Storm of Swords will blow everyone away.

Reaction score
after season 1 is over, i am going to start the books. I figure I can read them all well in advance of season 2 premiere on hbo. This show is so addicting. I hate waiting that week in between episodes.

Reaction score
I felt episode 8 was the best so far. In terms of accuracy it stayed truest to the novel--probably because George RR Martin wrote the episode. Loved Syrio's fight with the Lannister soldiers and Ser Meryn.

Probably the only thing that wasn't exactly like the book was Jon's fight with White Walker Otho. But I think that was mainly due to Ghost's role being changed. That dog must be hard to train because they haven't shot any of his scenes were he threatens/attacks people except for when Jon comes at Rast while he is sleeping.

Best of all, only about 1 month for A Dance With Dragons to release.

Reaction score
For those who watch this and have read all the books...Should I read the novel "A Game of Thrones" or just finish watching this then move on to the second book? Will I miss anything major?

Reaction score
Tikkes said:
For those who watch this and have read all the books...Should I read the novel "A Game of Thrones" or just finish watching this then move on to the second book? Will I miss anything major?
Well, they've pretty much covered the main points in the show thus far, but you can't beat the novel. It adds detail and a ton of backstory.

The one element the show has lacked that plays a large role throughout the series: direwolves. I think it's worth reading it just for the interaction between the Starks and their wolves because the show has been bad about it.

Reaction score
Well I knew about the major death in tonight's episode but it was still pretty horrible to watch.

Reaction score
yeah it is definitely against the grain to kill off main protagonist. Show is outstanding regardless, but for me, it just makes me dislike the Lannisters even more...and don't get me started on Littlefinger...