GALOOB: Star Trek TNG

Reaction score
Did anyone ever collect these? I remember seeing them in stores, but I didn't get into collecting TNG stuff until Playmates spun their line. They had some cool accessories, playsets, ships and what not but never really got that many figures out. I liked the scale of the figures; too bad it never really took off. It probably could have been better than Playmates line had it been sucessful.

Reaction score
worst thing about them was their phasers molded into their hands. Hard to believe that teh entire bridge crew wandered around all the time, phasers drawn.

Reaction score
I loved these figures.

Its a shame galoob messed up!
Galoob originally flooded the market with the main 4 figures (Picard, Worf, LaForge & Riker) then followed up with a limited run of Tasha and many variants of Data.

For some reason the Alien Wave (which included Ferengi, Selay, Antican and Q) were extremely rare and were released before Paramount pulled the plug on Galoob.
Its a shame the Romulan and Wesley never made it as seeing some photos on the web they look good quality.

I know the guy who now owns the scenery sets shown on the back of the cards. They were never made for market in the end. They look a bit to flexible for my like so its a good job they werent released.

Reaction score
At some point I'd definitely like to get into collecting these (as well as the Playmates line), the carded Romulan that was sold a while back on eBay really peaked my interest.

I'm still scratching my head over the whole "phaser in hand" thing as well, lol, at least they didn't give them a Vulcan nerve pinch hand to go with it.

Reaction score
I recall getting the speckled-face Data at a local toy store, but for some reason I was able to rub the speckles off with my fingers just for fun to get a plain-face Data variant.

Riker was the worst selling of the bunch. I recall ordering from New Eye Studio at the time and were giving out free Rikers with ST purchases over a certain dollar amount in their catalogues.

But getting a die-cast Enterprise-D for $5 at the time was the highlight for me of that line.

Reaction score
I have a Canadian set of series 1 (the crew) but my series 2 (aliens) set is on US cards. Does anyone know if the second series was released in Canada?

I have a Tasha Yar on Canadian card and then one on a US card with an "imported to Canada" sticker. I'm wondering if the second series was also imported to Canada or were these even available.

Craig

Reaction score
MacKillop said:
I have a Canadian set of series 1 (the crew) but my series 2 (aliens) set is on US cards. Does anyone know if the second series was released in Canada?

I have a Tasha Yar on Canadian card and then one on a US card with an "imported to Canada" sticker. I'm wondering if the second series was also imported to Canada or were these even available.

Craig
Interesting! I wonder that too. I'd like to know more if anyone ever finds out.

Reaction score
To my knowledge these were never released widely in the UK (and besides, we didn't get TNG until 1990 anyway) but I have on occasion been tempted to pick up the collection - what puts me off is the silly phaser in hand making them unable to hold their other accessory??

I would love 3.75" ST figures and agree that if these had been a better success, they could've been even better than Playmates. After all, didn't Hasbro swallow up Galoob in the early 90s. I'm sure Hasbro would've looked after ST through DS9 and beyond!

Reaction score
Tyrannusspotting said:
No, Galoob was swallowed up by Hasbro in 1998/ 99, which brought the downfall of the Galoob devision.
Ah, thanks for the correction. I thought it was similar to the Hasbro-Kenner takeover (where Hasbro brought Kenner in 1992 but still kept using the Kenner name).

Reaction score
i remember seeing the ship playsets that galoob was gonna do and they looked awsome.
one being the bridge and it was the best.
i have the main crew. i just wished it would have continued.

Reaction score
I figured it's time to resurrect this thread from the dead since I just picked up the Wesley Crusher and Romulan prototypes, along with the Die-Cast Ferengi Battleship prototype as well. Does anyone know how many Wesley/Romulan prototypes or Die-Cast Ferengi Fighter prototypes are out there? Also, does anyone know how many of the other prototypes are out there (like the Bridge and Transporter playsets, cardboard diorama playsets, flying Enterprise, etc.)?

GNT

Reaction score
I figured it's time to resurrect this thread from the dead since I just picked up the Wesley Crusher and Romulan prototypes, along with the Die-Cast Ferengi Battleship prototype as well.
Any pictures? Did you pay through the roof for them?

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually did pay a HUGE fortune for them...I picked up the two figures and die-cast Ferengi Fighter for $4,200 total, which included the full Galoob set and a prototype Enterprise from a Rick Sternbach (who apparently is a big name in the Trek world). Here's a link to the auction:

Star Trek SET Prototype Galoob Crusher,Romulan,Ferengi Cruiser, Paramount Letter | eBay

I'd been searching for the prototypes FOREVER and pretty much destroyed my savings in getting them, but it was worth it for me since I haven't seen them auctioned in years. I don't know if it was an overall good deal or not, but I knew I had to have them! :p So does anyone have any more info on production numbers for these prototypes? Now all I have to do is track down the other prototype pieces...

Reaction score
No problem! If you'd like, I can post more pics when I get everything. So does anyone know the production numbers on these prototypes?

Reaction score
I bought Picard, Riker, Worf and Geordi loose, Data and Yar MOC, and the shuttle, had them since about 1988, but they'd been in storage for years. I sold them last year on ebay.

Reaction score
that romulan is my number one most wanted unreleased figure of all time. ive been wishing for years someone would get ahold of one and mold and cast some.

Reaction score
Well my hope is that Playmates will eventually release that Romulan from wave 2 for the Star Trek sequel, as well as the rest of them!

Reaction score
that romulan is my number one most wanted unreleased figure of all time. ive been wishing for years someone would get ahold of one and mold and cast some.
LOL...it IS a tempting thought to free the Romulan... :p I just got my protos in, so I can possibly post pics if anyone is interested...

Reaction score
in all these years ive never seen a really good picture of them.

Reaction score
I'm hoping to be able to start taking some pics and posting them here sometime this week. Stay tuned... ;)

Reaction score
As promised, here are the pics! ;)

Complete Galoob Star Trek collection

signed Paramount contract promoting ST:TNG (from Rick Sternbach's personal collection)

Prototype Enterprise D with unapplied decal sheet and Galoob promo brochure (from Rick Sternbach's personal collection)

Prototype Wesley Crusher

Prototype Romulan

Prototype die cast Ferengi Fighter

Reaction score
Prototype Enterprise D with unapplied decal sheet and Galoob promo brochure (from Rick Sternbach's personal collection)
Never seen that catalog before. That Galoob had such finalized plans on making a bridge playset was news to me, too.
Also, I just love the fact both the action figure line-up, the bridge playset as well as the Phaser are painted.

Reaction score
I had 4 complete sets of these, at the time they came out I was working at Kmart and they got four cases in and I bought all 4. I still have one set opened and the others I sold or traded over the years. I have the open set if anyone is interested??? let me know

Reaction score
I loved these. I even had one of the first Datas that were a different color (weren't they blue?). I saw a Wesley at a show for 50 only once.

Reaction score
Is the Romulan pictured on the cardback played by the same actor that was Gul Dukat? Looks that way.

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread as I just picked up the six crew members on damaged cards for $3 a pop. They've all been freed. :D
This was a great line, the likeness are great and I especially like how each figure is it's own sculpt and proportional to the others. It would've been easy just to have one or two body sculpts with different heads so kudos to galoob there.

My only gripe is no peg holes so they have to free-stand which is a bit dicey. Guess I'll have to pick up the shuttle craft so they've all got somewhere to sit.

Reaction score
Here is a photo of my Galoob set... including the four different Data's (flesh, speckled dark skinned, speckled light skinned & blue face)... one of my favorite sets and TV shows! :O)

Reaction score
I just looked through your gallery Kaneda and I've got to say that's an awesome display you've got.

Reaction score
It's a shame Galoob's license was pulled so quickly. I would have loved to have seen what they would have come up with next. Season 2 variants perhaps?