Galactic Heroes v. "Regular" Figures

Reaction score
Galactic Heroes v. \"Regular\" Figures

A while back I read a rant about how horrible the Galactic Heroes are and I recently heard a similar rant at a store (“those baby figures are crap”). The poster (and shoppers) didn’t like the figures and couldn’t understand why the line was so popular. I couldn’t find the original tirade, so I started a new post. (My apologies if I have broken forum etiquette.)

My kids, 4 and 2, love the Galactic Heroes. So does dad; here’s why… They are not overly articulated (am I using that word correctly?). Some of them have a hand or an arm that moves to position a gun or a lightsaber, but that is about it. Grandma gave my oldest a “regular” (3 ¾ inch) Clonetrooper. The thing bends and twists in so many different ways that we can’t make it stand up most the time and his head keeps popping off. The joints became loose very quickly and now he just kind of lays there. My 4 year old says that he’s dead. "Battledroids got him." I suppose the super articulation is great for collectors and body parts popping off are great for customizers, but they don’t add to the play value for my kids. I like the fact that they are small, blocky and don’t have (many) moveable joints. Actually, the 4 year old’s favorites are the clones that don’t move at all. (And two GH figures for the price of one “regular” figure is a plus too.) I have idly wondered at what age the kids would want “regular” Star Wars figures (maybe someone can speak from experience on that) but I am pleased with the Galactic Heroes. And I am very happy to see the line expanding. What I don’t understand is why the Galactic Heroes line makes the collectors of “regular” figures mad. People of all ages enjoying Star Wars should be a good thing, right?

Reaction score
Re: Galactic Heroes v. \"Regular\" Figures

I started to collect GH's back when they were the Playskool line. I was attracted to their blocky builds, bright colors and the "playability" of the ships. As a kid of the seventies they reminded me of my beloved Weebles line of toys. It's interesting to see an American version of the "Superdeformed" phenomenon that has been so popular in japan for many years. They display very well and don't have all the standing/falling issues the regular figs have. It is also much harder to screw up a likeness in the cartoony GH style than it is in the regular line. I was excited to be able to collect a new line, since the regular line of figs had long since become a completists nightmare.

Who knew the GH line would get to be so big! I recently bought my first "nice" (in other words, expensive) display case for my favorite SW collection pieces and was surprised to find that my GH's took up about 75% of it.

I almost never buy regular figs anymore. With the exception of the Medical Frigate Luke and Leia out soon, I couldn't name one figure I'm interested in buying.

Reaction score

Galactic Heroes rock!

They remind me of the vintage figures because of the thickness,simple articulation and not too serious looks on the faces.They are a throwback to the toys I grew up with and are innocent in nature like the vintage line.

I buy vintage MOC/loose for my collection
I buy Galactic Heroes/12" modern Hasbro for the kids(and me
)

There is something that the Galactic Heores lines captures that the 3 3/4 line cant.I Gave up/sold all my modern 3 3/4 collecting over 3 years ago and couldnt be happier.

I will collect the Galactic Heroes line even if my kids "move on" from them.They truly do bring a smile to my face when I buy them and thats something the 3 3/4 line stopped doing for me a LONG time ago.

Reaction score

My son is 2.5 and loves these little guys. I started collecting them by accident when my brother and sister-in-law bought me the Luke R2-D2 set as a gag b-day gift in 2006 a few months before the birth of my son. Around Christmas, Traget had the first Cinema Scenes for $19.99, so I bought all of them and have pretty much bought everything since and caught up on past ones I missed. I spend more money on these than I do on the basic line for all the reasons you guys point out above. My hope is this line continues to grow and prosper, as I for one, never thought there would be more characters and different sculps in this line than in the treasured vintage line - very cool!

Reaction score

My oldest son didn't really enjoy the 3.75" figures until he was almost 5 years old, due to the reasons listed above (hard to pose, stand, or attach accessories/weapons). He played with Galactic Heroes starting at age 2.5. We haven't purchased any lately, but he still gets his GH figures out frequently. I'm sure we'll start collecting GH again soon: my other son is 7 months old!

Reaction score

LMK if youy need any figures OhBe1...I will sell off all my extars from past/future cinema scene releases.

Reaction score

Galactic heroes are great! Much like Fisher Price little people and Playmobil 123, these are just perfect for little hands.

I think 7 or 8 is a better time for the 4" line. Much easier for a kid of that age to attempt to keep track of all the bits and accessories. With Galactic Heroes, you don't have to worry about all that finesse, you can just play. Awesome!!

Reaction score

They remind me of Smurf figures back in the day or Raisinette's for those that remember those too...

Besides GHs, the only other thing I collect in the Hasbro 12" which IMO look pretty cool having a smaller version sitting in front of each of them.

GNT

Reaction score

GH are very kiddy like but you know what I really like them, they're pretty basic, cute, rarely fall over and display well.

Reaction score

Collecting Smurf figures was a BIG part of my childhood (late 70's-early 80's) and there is certainly a nostalgic factor to my GH collecting.

Reaction score

Well I am 40 yrs old and have no kids (I am also married and not living in the mothers basement, lol), and still love these little guys, I don't think any age is to old for these guys and they remind me of the Smurfs and other PVC figures of that type.

Also it's the only ones my Wife likes as well.

Reaction score

The smurf comparison is great! I had a whole Smurf Village set up as a kid on my dresser. I think if Galactic Heroes were around then I would of had had a huge display of them. I would change the display around every once in a while to create different scenes. I was able to get a new smurf every once in a while, they weren't too expensive, and lasted. I feel the GH are the same for young kids today!

Reaction score

Good starter Star Wars toys for my son (who's now 4 and moving on to 3.75" figures). Big plus is weapons that for the most part can't be lost, I think only the Chewbacca had a removeable weapon...even now with the 3.75" figures, the guns come out only when I'm playing with him, else the Dyson Sarlaac will eat them all.

Reaction score

I didnt care for them when they came out (as the PlaySchool, or what ever it was called). But I did buy them for my son, I had them on my desk one day and found myself playing with them. As my son became bored with them I found they were lining up on my shelves. I have become quit fond of them. Now hat I have another small one, she takes them and plays with them. Than I have the fun of finding them all over again. Some of them I forget I have.

Reaction score
Necro! My 2YO son likes the few Galactic Heroes toys he has, but I think he likes the 3.75 format at bit better. I do keep track of the weapons as we have a rule in our house- once you lose it, its gone forever :p.

I am more keep on mixing the GF MF and AT-AT with cheap POTF 3.75 as durable playsets.