G8-R3 (R5-A7) WalMart exclusive figure

Reaction score
okay, now I can see the specific differences. But had you not pointed out exactly where to look or what to look for I wouldn't have realized.

That said the current BAD R5 head is perfectly fine with me for both OT and PT R5 droids.

Reaction score
I'm convinced they used the original Kenner R5-D4 as reference for the Prequel heads the same way the Clone Wars R5 heads are based on the old POTF2 R5-D2 and "Attack" R5-D4.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This whole debate happened when the BAD figures were coming. The 'final' outcome was that the prequel R5 heads were un-intentionally made differently by Don Bies. While prepping in Australia for Ep 1, he tried to match old reference shot, without an original prop R5 head. That is why the number of rectangles around the neck are fewer, the top of the head pointier, and the head squatter. Technically, and according to Lucasfilm canon, they are supposed to be identical. Unfortunately, they ended up slightly differently, and thus the debate.

Reaction score
Yeah, I seem to recall that discussion as well.. so I acknowledge the debate there.

However - be that as it may, the way they look in the films is how I'd like them to be personally, because I dig the different domes & details as I mentioned earlier.

Reaction score
Theres identical discussions on Doctor Who forums about Dalek figures using the same body sculpt for 80's style Daleks as 60's & 70's ones.

Reaction score
Theres identical discussions on Doctor Who forums about Dalek figures using the same body sculpt for 80's style Daleks as 60's & 70's ones.
back before Daleks were availible in blue, red, yellow, and white models? :encouragement:

Reaction score
The report that I received on R2-A5 had a UPC, so I have to believe that he's coming at some point. Remember, there were originally going to be 12 figures in the deleted scene series.
I so, so, so hope that you are right on this and that this does in fact come to pass. R2-A5 would be simply awesome to see on the shelves, on the card, and in my collection!!

Reaction score
I cant wait for this figure. It will finally fill out my droids-fixing-the-royal-cruiser scene, which until now has been manned by the R5 droid from star tours.

Reaction score
Im happy Im getting the last droyd to my Royal starship and that i has the the droid power harness :)

Reaction score
I will be getting on of the little droid when they go live 1/12. Can't wait!!

Reaction score
This whole debate happened when the BAD figures were coming. The 'final' outcome was that the prequel R5 heads were un-intentionally made differently by Don Bies. While prepping in Australia for Ep 1, he tried to match old reference shot, without an original prop R5 head. That is why the number of rectangles around the neck are fewer, the top of the head pointier, and the head squatter. Technically, and according to Lucasfilm canon, they are supposed to be identical. Unfortunately, they ended up slightly differently, and thus the debate.
Well until GL digitally changes them to look exactly like the OT Droids, they should resemble what they look like on screen right?

Reaction score
He probably already has, along with every other Astromech circling the room in 3D before flying up the elevator shaft with rockets extended.

Edit: I bet he does add boosters to R2 rising up the lift shaft.:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well until GL digitally changes them to look exactly like the OT Droids, they should resemble what they look like on screen right?
No, cuz what's on screen isn't always correct. Should ANH Luke come with a green lightsaber since they screwed up the Falcon training scene? The fact is, the 'new' heads from 1999 were an error. It's supposed to be the original heads, so there's no reason to make a new headsculpt for the R5s. I like the aesthetic of the '99 heads, but it'd be nice for all the R5s to match up.

However, should they ever get around to making an R6, maybe they could use the '99 heads as a springboard since they've got R5-ish heads with R2-ish eyes.

Reaction score
Beh, want. But I'm not banking on Hasbro to make one any time soon. Had a perfect opportunity with the BAD line and womp womp, no R6 for you.

Reaction score
No, cuz what's on screen isn't always correct. Should ANH Luke come with a green lightsaber since they screwed up the Falcon training scene? The fact is, the 'new' heads from 1999 were an error. It's supposed to be the original heads, so there's no reason to make a new headsculpt for the R5s. I like the aesthetic of the '99 heads, but it'd be nice for all the R5s to match up.
No sorry Toon.. that doesn't float with me.

The differences were what I immediately liked about them, & as they're shown in the film that way, that's that - regardless of the logistical back story. Your ANH Luke saber example is honestly.. redundant, because it's an editing problem - not a physical prop that's actually on film.

Reaction score
They were different on screen, so I would have loved to have them be different in the toys as well. Regardless of whether they were supposed to be or not, they do look distinct. It's a big universe and it makes sense to me that there would be variations out there. Unfortunately the toys weren't similarly distinct. While I'd have liked the toys to be more accurate, I've made my peace with us getting simple OT version repaints. Though I'd happily take better, they're good enough for me.

GNT

Reaction score
While prepping in Australia for Ep 1, he tried to match old reference shot, without an original prop R5 head.
Nothing for TPM was done in Australia, only AOTC and ROTS were done here :)

Reaction score
We still haven't had an authentic OT "R3" head yet. The Prequel version has an R2 style eye, whereas most original ones have a recessed silver disc with a sensor.

Reaction score
I'm really looking to this figure. A cool R5 unit, the droid charger station, and it's the BAD figure, so I can mix and match it with other parts.

Reaction score
Should they ever get around to making an R6, maybe they could use the '99 heads as a springboard since they've got R5-ish heads with R2-ish eyes.
I'd definitely be up for an R6 model, IMO you can never have enough Astromechs! And I agree it would be an easy sculpt mod especially on the BAD's.

In addition I'd also like them to make an R9 model, Jaina, Mara, and Luke all had one in the later years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The thing I love about the R6 design is it fits so well with the aesthetics of the films. The other EU droids stray a bit far for my tastes. The R7s that we got a couple of years ago especially and, to a lesser extent, the R8 and R9 designs as well, all feel a bit to far removed in design style to me. I'd be all over an R6 or two, but much like I skipped the R7s, I'd probably skirt the R8s and R9s.

Reaction score
Imo the R9s are a lot weirder than the R7s. Just because the main body is the exact same as the astromechs of the films doesn't make their design fit with the aesthetics of the movies. The R7s and R8s feel like natural evolution of design through the years, while the R9s just look like a terrible mess, but that's just my opinion. However I'd love a full collection of astromechs.

They were different on screen, so I would have loved to have them be different in the toys as well. Regardless of whether they were supposed to be or not, they do look distinct. It's a big universe and it makes sense to me that there would be variations out there.
I used to disagree but you just convinced me. Now I'm going to have to make my peace with it too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Imo the R9s are a lot weirder than the R7s. Just because the main body is the exact same as the astromechs of the films doesn't make their design fit with the aesthetics of the movies. The R7s and R8s feel like natural evolution of design through the years, while the R9s just look like a terrible mess, but that's just my opinion.
Yeah, you make a good point there with respect to the R9. The resulting design doesn't really hang together all that well, does it?

I think with R7s it just comes down to whether you like that aesthetic or not. I don't really care for it. It looks like someone tried to snaz-up and R2 unit with lots of diagonal lines to make it look more futuristic. It kinda runs contrary to that wonderful 70s styling that Johnston and McQuarrie brought to the trilogy, so it just doesn't seem like SW to me.

The R8's dome is a fraction better, but it's not a particularly considered design with awkward proportions and really lacks a "face". I just prefer stuff that sits more comfortably with the movie aesthetic. Some of the EU astros just seem to be forced in terms of design.

The KOTOR era T3s and their ilk on the other hand, I thought did a better job of feeling familiar but different, while still embracing the same stylistic influences as the movie droids.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mmm, not sure what I think of the R8. I like its dome, but I don't like the R7 body. Put the R8 dome on an R9 body, and I think it'd be good. The R9 dome is kinda freaky, I don't understand why they'd make it look like that.

Reaction score
Wow. An R6 would be TOTALLY awesome... The R9 is interesting, too. I actually like it much more than the R7 which is just a little cartoony for me.... And more R3s would be beyond awesome!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like the R6 and the R9. I'd be fine with seeing them put out a number of different R? figures.

Reaction score
I think the R9 dome is fine, but it needs to be on a standard R2-style body... the odd 'large gap between the horizontal arms' is what throws everything off, I think. It's pointless.

Not crazy about R7s--I mean, I was thrilled to get 'em, but their origin in DE annoyed me for some reason, and they didn't 'fit'. To me, they look like some other company's answer to IA's popular R2s and the like. R8s, same thing. No sensor-eye, but they have a mini satellite dish sticking way out off the dome? Wha?!

And FINE, have your PT R5 domes even tho they were a mistake <grumble grumble>... I actually like 'em better than the OT ones anyway :shame: But I want some proper OT-style R3 domes! Especially for R3-M3, since he got DOUBLY-screwed by having that foggy-plastic PT R3 dome, while the orange R3 from a later wave had a nice, clear dome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
See the cool thing about them using the BAD body, is that they can put any Dome type on it and pretty much make everyone happy IMO.
Because all you have to do is switch whatever pats you don't like.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will buy any and all EU repaints of R2's, R3's, R4's and R5's, but you can keep the non-canon EU sculpts as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction score
Hey Toon, be grateful for what progress you have made! :friendly_wink:

Reaction score
Finally, a figure 2 bring me back 2 collecting little plastic men this is the 1st figure I have wanted since I stopped collecting everything but Astromechs and C-3POs :applause:
"That is All",
Blitzkriegtrench(wolf)?:>}
[A.K.A.-MACHOne1971/2008KRBlaque/and more Mustang related screen names]

Reaction score
Looking forward to getting this guy! My astromech collection is almost complete - I've put together a checklist that (as far as I can tell) is complete - there's 57 droids out there, and I've got 50 of them, haha. The list includes some "duplicates" because they're different enough from each other (EE set R2-X2 and Legacy R2-X2, PotJ R4-M9 and Star Tours R4-M9, for example) and also includes the remote-control R5-X2 since he's in-scale with all the others.

Reaction score
I would agree. He's kinda large compared to the regular Hasbro astros, but if he works for you Xeno then that's awesome. I'm hanging out for a Hasbro version, or at least the coming of the Royal Starships pack which will allow me to very easily customise one.