FXtoys....uses price stickers to cover up damage

Reaction score
So...I have been speaking with Ion Cannon and he had the same experience that I did. Kevin can you post pictures if you have them? So 2 of my MOCs had price stickers that fell off in the mail.I guess from sitting in the heat and all. I have one more but the sticker did not fall off of this one. This is suspect to me. The under side of the price stickers had zero ink on them. So it was a coverup. FXtoys was the seller and it is a bit more then a coincidence. We will see how they handle my situation. Please see the pictures below and draw your on conclusion. Kevin was banned from bidding with them and we will see what they do to me....if anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-KENNER...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can say that this very thing happened to me just as Matt described. I can't remember if I took pics but if I can find them I will dig them up. I got banned from bidding from them because they said I caused the damage after the sticker fell off in the mail....I didn't make a fuss because I thought it might just be a overlook but obviously there is a trend here. If you bought ANYTHING from FXToys with a sticker, it should be investigated even if it is AFA graded!!!

Reaction score
Matt, Kevin,

Sorry to hear of your experiences with fxtoys - just another big toy dealer with poor practices and poor customer service. Of course, they would ban you - rather than make it right with the customer and tread on the side of honor and integrity, they'd rather discredit and ban the customer just so they don't have to refund a sale.

Are any of the owners of fxtoys on RS?

Reaction score
Great. I recently won an auction for a MOC 31-Back Star Destroyer Commander from this seller and it, too, has a price sticker "adhered" to the card. Hope it is real...

Reaction score
This is criminal. If enough people here discover this crook has pulled a fast one on them, are there options to bring action against through E-bay or is this just another example of "Buyer Beware?"

Reaction score
Not to make light of the situation BUT that is still a nice MOC you picked up Matt...dont know how much yiu paid though either. I think that it is crazy that a seller would ban someone from bidding. Why not just make good w the buyer and just do a partial refund. Personally that kind of damage does not bother me. I am not a super picky collector either as long as the price matches the piece (figure/condition/etc). At least the rest of us on RS know to avoid the seller so thanks for the info Seer and Ion.

Reaction score
Not to make light of the situation BUT that is still a nice MOC you picked up Matt...dont know how much yiu paid though either. I think that it is crazy that a seller would ban someone from bidding. Why not just make good w the buyer and just do a partial refund. Personally that kind of damage does not bother me. I am not a super picky collector either as long as the price matches the piece (figure/condition/etc). At least the rest of us on RS know to avoid the seller so thanks for the info Seer and Ion.
I simply asked for a refund and return, they granted it but banned me like I was the bad guy for removing the sticker but it was obvious there was a tear underneath. Not sure what they were thinking. Oh well, I'd rather not buy from them anyways.

Reaction score
this may be a stupid question but where would he even get old price stickers? no retailer uses them anymore

Reaction score
this may be a stupid question but where would he even get old price stickers? no retailer uses them anymore
Buy 50+ loose cardbacks over a few years. You'll have tons of "vintage stickers" available to you...

Reaction score
I simply asked for a refund and return, they granted it but banned me like I was the bad guy for removing the sticker but it was obvious there was a tear underneath. Not sure what they were thinking. Oh well, I'd rather not buy from them anyways.
This seller keeps coming on the radar. They should not be a trusted seller.
The shill bidding in regards to items this git sells really boils my blood.

Reaction score
Be ready to be disappointed. Let us know.
The Star Destroyer Commander arrived safely. The price sticker is still adhered to the card and it does not exhibit any overt evidence of tampering. I consider myself lucky with respect to this transaction; however, I will definitely be wary of any future items offered by this seller.

Reaction score
The Star Destroyer Commander arrived safely. The price sticker is still adhered to the card and it does not exhibit any overt evidence of tampering. I consider myself lucky with respect to this transaction; however, I will definitely be wary of any future items offered by this seller.
They are supposed to refund my money on one of the pieces and do a partial on the other. Both had cover ups. I am to afraid to pull the other sticker off....I have done at least 100 in the past with no issues.....because I know there is more of a cover up. I think whomever they got this collection from either did the covering up or FXtoys did the cover up.

As far as the SDC have a cover up...I would put all my money on "yes" for this one. Guys just be aware of this.

Reaction score
Buy 50+ loose cardbacks over a few years. You'll have tons of "vintage stickers" available to you...
If this is truly the way these are being stockpiled, the act of covering-up a defect on a card is minor when compared to the foreign additive glue which is being used to adhere to cards.

That there folks is restoration.

Reaction score
That's terrible! With all the shady people selling these days, I've been sticking to buying afa when possible.

Reaction score
That's terrible! With all the shady people selling these days, I've been sticking to buying afa when possible.
I hate to break it to you, but AFA isn't set-up to be able to detect this sort of thing. I've spent some time researching in the area of being able to detect residual petroleum distillates from the use of naptha and other glue/adhesive removal chemicals being used by people.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this stuff should not be used on carded figures under any circumstances. The problem we are dealing with now (using stickers to cover up damage) started exactly from the behaviour where collectors felt the urge and need to beautify and/or recondition a piece by removing a sticker.

Whether that behaviour is born out of preferences or perceived illusory "benefits", the greed aspect trailing closely behind was inevitable, because it doesn't take long for sellers to realize they can cater to condition freaks that would go to such lengths themselves to alter the provenance and appearance of a vintage piece.

The reality is they are doing the exact opposite because they are actually damaging the piece as these chemicals are harmful.

Anyhow, to get back to your question, these chemicals never completely "evaporate" and leave not only a permanent residue that impregnates in the paper fibers and is detectable with proper equipment, but they actually will react with the chemicals found on the cardstock (inks, bleaches used in the cardstock, binder fibers, acids born from environmental or chemical reactions between the cardstock and inks, etc).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I dont bid with them anymore because of the way they angle their pictures to make it look like less damage. I asked specific questions about and item I was bidding on and they wont answer the questions direct. The one I got from them was completely opposite what they described. BEWARE of these guys.....

Reaction score
I asked specific questions about an item and they wont answer the questions direct.
This is a good general practice for anyone, at least I follow it. If they don't answer questions about their item, or can't provide additional pics of part of an item they neglected to show in the auction, I don't bother. It wasn't recently, but I've asked them questions about their auctions in the past and they didn't reply, so I dropped interest in it. I'm glad I did, after seeing all the crap they've been pulling lately.

Reaction score
Seer:
From the picture it looks like it is damaged.
But have you look closely? Sometimes it is just smudge from the sticker.
Really hope it is just smudge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just saw this post, and I bought two ESB figs from fxtoys a few weeks back with price tags; fortunately there was no damage beneath them. They were Kohls stickers by the way.

Reaction score
This is what I mean:

As you can see, it looks as if the card was damaged, but under closed scrutiny, I determined that it was just smudge.
By the way, even the guy who sold it to me told me it had sticker damage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seer:
From the picture it looks like it is damaged.
But have you look closely? Sometimes it is just smudge from the sticker.
Really hope it is just smudge.

Please keep in mind that I have been collecting and dealing with vintage Star Wars toys for a while now. I am sure you have too. :) Thank you for the concern but this is sticker tear/damage on the card. I know what a sticker tear is. Do you work for FXtoys? Look at this from my point of view. Please understand that this hasn't only happened with just me.....there is a laundry list of problems with this seller on eBay and I have not been the only one with this very problem. Please understand that.
One more thing...if you look closely I posted a picture of the back of the price sticker....not a speck of ink is on the back. What created the damage? Not this price sticker. Someone cleaned this card a little to hard and ended up rubbing it raw.

Calevans..that is great to hear. I would hate for you to have gone through the same problem as me.

Finest..thank you for the info posted.

I am only here to warn other collectors of this practice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually, I have just started collecting vintage stuff about 2 months ago and that means that you know a whole LOT more than me about this kind of things.
I just wanted to put my 2 cents and try to help you because I can only imagine what a bummer that must be.
Really sorry that it is damaged and thank you for letting us know not to trust FXToys.
By the way, I live down in Puerto Rico, so, no, I don't work for FXToys. :)

Reaction score
Actually, I have just started collecting vintage stuff about 2 months ago and that means that you know a whole LOT more than me about this kind of things.
I just wanted to put my 2 cents and try to help you because I can only imagine what a bummer that must be.
Really sorry that it is damaged and thank you for letting us know not to trust FXToys.
By the way, I live down in Puerto Rico, so, no, I don't work for FXToys. :)

No worries and I do appreciate your comments. Also....Welcome to the world of vintage!!!!

Reaction score
Matt, did you contact them?? Have the responded?
Yes. Today I should get the refund for both. Keep an eye open in case the pieces pop up for sale again on the bay. I really had zero hassle at all. I didn't even make a claim with them. Weird...maybe this was the straw that broke the camels back. :wtf:

Reaction score
Interesting that all his new auctions now include some computer RAM. Any guesses what this is all about?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting that all his new auctions now include some computer RAM. Any guesses what this is all about?
Media mail. If you ship something as "media mail" it will be a lot cheaper.

I got my full refund...now to test out a bid. Nothing I want from them for a long time.

Reaction score
Media mail. If you ship something as "media mail" it will be a lot cheaper.

I got my full refund...now to test out a bid. Nothing I want from them for a long time.
He may be using it to fly under the radar, but I will tell you that the packaging for RAM is nowhere near the size of a carded figure, and I've heard numerous stories from other collectors complaining their packages were trashed. The common thread a lot of these stories share is that someone tried to ship something they shouldn't have shipped using media mail.

Reaction score
Media Mail is VERY low priority, routinely abused service and thus a money-loser for USPS, and because of this they have been cracking down on it at all levels. Media mail has a no ads restriction which means it cannot be used if the item contains any form of advertising.

The fact that ads in comics or advertising on the back of carded figures are out of date does not make them eligible. In other words don't be surprised that somewhere along the delivery chain someone rips open the package for inspection and your valuables get manhandled.

Trying to ship RAM along with a "collectible" will simply raise the ire of postal workers who will deem it as an attempt to abuse the shipping service and skimping on shipping.

Here is a thread which expands on some of these points further.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So RAM is considered computer readable media? This seems a stretch. Someone suggested this may be a tax avoidance measure. In ether case the approach doesn't seem effective if ever really pursued.

Reaction score
Great. I recently won an auction for a MOC 31-Back Star Destroyer Commander from this seller and it, too, has a price sticker "adhered" to the card. Hope it is real...
I won the other MOC 31back SDC and after reading this thread was worried as the price sticker on mine was located in an odd place over the kenner logo at the bottom of the card! I am happy to say I removed the sticker this weekend and did not find any issue or cover-up!

good luck with yours...

Reaction score
MY PO has several signs stating Media Mail parcels are subject to inspection. I don't see why someone would try to scam Media Mail for sending vintage figures. First Class isn't that expensive and even Priority can be easily justified given the cost of most figures. I wouldn't buy from a company that cuts corners like this.

Reaction score
I won the other MOC 31back SDC and after reading this thread was worried as the price sticker on mine was located in an odd place over the kenner logo at the bottom of the card! I am happy to say I removed the sticker this weekend and did not find any issue or cover-up!

good luck with yours...
The results of your efforts are certainly reassuring. I am not sure if I will attempt to remove the price sticker or not; perhaps some day.

Vaderlife posted previously: "I don't bid with them anymore because of the way they angle their pictures to make it look like less damage." I was not aware of this practice before but now agree wholeheartedly with his statement. For the figure I purchased, although it was stated there was a dent in the bubble, the angle of the pictures did not make the amount of damage obvious. When I received the item I was a little shocked at the amount of visible damage (the dent to the top of the bubble caused the plastic to "whiten"). Of course I went back and viewed the pictures listed in the auction because I wanted to make sure the damage did not occur during shipping. After knowing where to look and what to look for, I could see the damage was present before shipment. Ultimately, I am to blame and should have been more vigilant. However, I also expect knowledgeable, reputable sellers to include adequate descriptions and pictures when there are obvious flaws.

The bottom line is I will not bid on this seller's items in the future and recommend others to avoid or definitely proceed with caution.

- Shawn

Reaction score
The bottom line is I will not bid on this seller's items in the future and recommend others to avoid or definitely proceed with caution.
The sad reality is that as much as is known about this seller, there will be another "warning" thread about them soon.