FS: Hard Copy Prototypes c9.5+ (SOLD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
THE HISTORY:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Henry Wong. For a lot of you, you won't know who I am. I spent most of my collecting days very low key, but always on the look out for opportunities to acquire great pieces when they came around. Back in the 90's such an opportunity arose, through Kathy at TheEarth. During one of the larger Hard Copy finds of the day, Kathy offered to me my choice of all of the ones she had at that time, and I think in total there were 8-9. If I'd known then what I know now about just how rare these prototypes would become, you can sure as heck bet I'd go back in time and buy them all. Unfortunately, life dosen't work like that, and so I settled for the 5 best ones, which wasn't to shabby especially for an unknown in the hobby. At the same time I was making my decision to purchase Kathy informed me that Tom Tombusch was going to be taking pictures of the find and putting them up in his new book. At that point, I said to Kathy that if she wanted to sell them to me, she would need to keep their pictures out of Tom's book, and luckily she agreed.

THE PROVENANCE:

Back then provenance didn't matter nearly as much as it does these days, as you could usually identify a true Hard Copy by their traditional traits. The Dynacast, the metal or plastic pins, their size, their weight and so on. I was recently brought up to speed on a somewhat recent fraud associated with Hard Copies by a former RS member, and as such I can appreciate a heightened level of scrutiny associated with anyone trying to sell these things. That said, I'm not keen on being put through the ringer, because of the criminal actions of that one person. I know these to be genuine, and even though both Kathy and my memories of the details of the day are starting to fade(15+ years will do that to you), she has agreed to vouch for me to anyone that wants to confirm that I indeed purchased these Hard Copies through TheEarth. The pictures speak for themselves, but if it's further provenance you need then all you have to do is pick up Tom's book and see that indeed these ones are conspicuously missing from it. Lastly, by putting out here the complete purchase history surrounding these pieces, I'm hoping to alleviate any doubts
about the genuineness of these prototypes.

THE SALE:

This will not be a traditional sale per say, as these Hard Copies are special in so many ways. What I will be offering is a somewhat silly buy it now price of $10k per figure(silly being subjective to everyone), but I will also be taking offers on all 5(unless they sell) for the next 5 days. I will not accept offers after Fri Jan 14th, and the highest offers garnered for each figure will get that Hard Copy. The reason I've gone to this method of sale is simple. The forums rules state I must put a price on what I'm selling(ergo the 10k), but would like to avoid the proverbial shooting of one's own foot scenario(ergo the offer method). All of that said, if someone out there wants the best of the best in Hard Copies and has the means and the inclination of paying the 10k amount for a figure, they should have the opportunity to take advantage of that, as that was how I acquired them in the first place. For the rest of the collectors out there not going this route, you can put in your best offers through a pm to me during the next 5 days, and hope no one buys your figure(s) in the interim. When offering please specify the figure your offering on and the offer itself, especially if you're interested in more than one figure. During the offering process you will be made aware if you are indeed the highest offer or not. If you are not the highest offer then you may make another offer at any time to try and claim the highest position within the 5 day period. At no point will anyone's actual offer be disclosed to anyone else during the duration of this sale.

THE FIGURES:

c9.5 - Luke Jedi Knight

c9.5+ - Admiral Ackbar

c9.5+ - Nien Numb

c9.5+ - King Gornesh with Alternate torso sculpt

c9.5+ - Paploo with first shot cowl and with Alternate torso sculpt

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

King Gornesh and Admiral Ackbar have plastic pins
Nien Numb, Luke, and Paploo have metal pins
All limbs movable on all the figures.
Nien Numb's blaster is glued.
Cowl on Paploo is a rubber material, so should be considered a first shot.
Paint job on the 3 painted figures is as good or better than production with Luke's right front waist being the only piece that shows any sign of rubbing or wear.
All limbs and heads are nicely tight with the exception of Luke's head which will fall off if held upside down, but displays perfectly(unless upside down). All are made of heavier dynacast, except King Gornesh and his torso, which is a lighter resin of some kind.
Both alternate torso's in mint condition with no signs of wear.
All 5 Hard Copies in scarce outstanding near mint condition.

THE TERMS:

I will not put on hold figures or take payment plans, and will only consider a figure sold when payment is made.
Preferred payment method is paypal(gift) in cdn funds. Wire transfers are also acceptable. International Money Orders and Bank Cheques are also options, but the latter two will cause a delay in immediate shipment of figures, because of clearing time. I'm not offering money-back-guarantees or return policies, mainly because I'm not a WALMART, and because you can't get these there. Please read and re-read everything that is in this post before contacting me and asking a question that has already been answered. Lastly, DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE before offering, and please don't offer unless your serious about following through. And should any of the winners flake out of their winning bids, the figures will go to the next highest offer. Buyer is responsible for all shipping costs and any insurance associated with the sale.

Please note that I've been asked by numerous people if the final offer prices will be revealed at the end of the sale. I don't have a problem asking the successful winners to share that without identifying themselves, but if they choose not to in the end I will not be forcing anyone to.

I hope I've anticipated well most of the questions that will arise from this sale ahead of time. If you have additional questions please pm, and I'll try and respond in a timely manner.

Happy bidding to all.

Henry Wong

Reaction score
Re: FS: Hard Copy Prototypes c9.5+

A couple quick points on this sale:

First, i can vouch for Henry's history in the hobby and for the items as well. I know people are gunshy after the McScandal/Green Harvest controversy, but these are most certainly the real deal.

Secondly, i've allowed Henry to post his sale in the manner only because of the aforementioned scandal. I think after the "veil of secrecy" surrounding the way Scott conducted himself that a sale of this nature is required to help both maintain a healthy interest in legitimate prototypes and to help re-establish honest and healthy market values for hardcopies.

If anyone has any concerns, please feel free to PM me.

Reaction score

Comment retracted (wasnt anything evil
grin.gif
)

Reaction score

I wasn't aware that Henry was the one who purchased these, but I do remember seeing these first hand when I visited the shop eons ago. (If memory serves me correctly, these were either found, or kept by the owner in a "SW" vinyl action figure case.) Darren opened the case and I thought "cool, but no Vader..." LOL
Good luck with these Henry.

Bill

Reaction score

G'day Henry,

Mate I'm very keen to bid on a couple of your hard copy pieces - I'm wondering what the latest time I can contact you on Friday is in order to get a bid in?

Please do let me know.

Best, Ben.

Reaction score

Hello Henry,

At one time on Friday will bids be accepted?

One last question, I was going to ask it privately but figured others might have the same question..

Concerning the Nien Numb is the Blaster a Hard Copy, protomolded or a first shot?

Thank you,

Todd

Reaction score

Hi Todd,
I thought I would answer this question out in the open as I've been asked this numerous times now. As it was relayed to me by the moderators I cannot and should not specify a time as that would resemble an auction too much, so I'm saying to everyone that it'll be around midnight(mountain standard time), but I will not be accepting any offers that come in past that point. I'm also suggesting to people to try and not play this like an ebay auction. Sniping is not cool at the best of times, and as fast as I am at getting back to people about their status, flooding me with offers at the last minute will only cause chaos. So to discourage that completely, I'm giving the previous highest offerors the opportunity to out offer the very last one that comes in just before the wire. So for example if you're the highest offer at 11:00pm and someone tries to snipe this with a higher offer at 11:59pm the previous highest offeror will be given one more chance to out offer the snipe offer.

As for the blaster I believe it's nothing more than a production weapon painted black, as some of the paint near the tip has just flaked off revealing what looks like plastic to me.

An additional picture of it is here:

So compare to the original one for your own satisfaction, I will not be inspecting these further for fear of additional wear to the pieces. Hope that's satisfactory.

Reaction score

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to convey a few things without sounding overly dramatic or like some bad Oscar award acceptance speech. First thing I wanted to say is a thank-you to the moderators for allowing me to run a sale such as this and to all of the people that took time out of their lives to participate in the sale in whatever capacity they chose. Secondly, I wanted to thank Shane Turgeon and Todd Chamberlain for being great sounding boards when it came time to work out how the sale should be run. And lastly, I wanted to thank my fantastic wife Carrie for volunteering to do all of the background work in relation to this sale.

Without the help and support of all these people this sale my never have happened.

The sale itself went off without a hitch and all the people that participated in the sale were great members to deal with. It was clearly a challenging sales format, but no one tried to skirt any of the guidelines that were in place to maintain fairness. And though there were some minor gripes, in the end things went well.

I thought I would end this post by providing some general statistics about the sale itself. The numbers that I'll be providing may or may not be relevant to anyone else's future HC sale, but it's still interesting information and as such I thought I would share it with everyone. The other thing to note is that statistics can clearly be manipulated to present a distorted picture of something which I will endeavour not to do. I will be general though, as I don't think the people involved in the sale would like the details of their offers revealed even though the sale is over now.

So to start, 15 offerors generated over 59 offers in total. The total number of separate offers(sometimes generated by the same offeror) was 29 for Luke Jedi, 5 for Nien Numb, 13 for Admiral Ackbar, 5 for King Gornesh, and 7 for Paploo. The average offer price on each figure was as follows:

Luke Jedi - $4887.93, Nien Numb - $2970, Admiral Ackbar - $ 2196.15, King Gornesh - $1840, Paploo - $2314.28. (With the winning offers obviously higher than these values). Taking away character distinction the average offer price for just a Hard Copy in this sale was $2841.67.

I wish everyone the very best in their collecting journey's, and hope that if nothing else this sale showed that there is always the chance of finding amazing pieces in unexpected places.

Henry Wong

Reaction score

Thank you Henry for having the sale here and offering these to a core of true collectors rather than through a more public venue such as Ebay.

Reaction score

That's some great feedback info on the results of the sale. Thank you Henry.

Reaction score

Leif_G said:
That's some great feedback info on the results of the sale. Thank you Henry.

+1, Thanks for sharing! I’m very happy to see some strong offers on your hardcopies. This makes for a pretty good rebound in the wake of the McWilliams scandal.

-Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.