Frosting

Reaction score
I've searched but couldn't find any thread on instructions for how to remove frosting. I thought I had read about that somewhere...anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Zach

Reaction score
On loose figures, warm water and mild soap.

On carded figures, a few minutes in the sun or under a lamp should get rid of it.

Ian

Reaction score
On loose figures, warm water and mild soap.

On carded figures, a few minutes in the sun or under a lamp should get rid of it.

Ian
What he said is spot on. What the piece if no matter what and don't leave it unattended. You wouldn't want it to melt.

Reaction score
Thanks guys...is there a particular type of lamp that I need? These would be carded figures. How long do you put the figure up to the lamp and how close up to it? I'm sure it varies and you need to watch it but just curious on any advice.

Reaction score
I put mine in a star case and leave under a lamp, 100w about 4-5 inches away, leave to make a small oven in the star case, watch, takes 1-2 hours varying, but 100% successful in my experiences.

Thanks guys...is there a particular type of lamp that I need? These would be carded figures. How long do you put the figure up to the lamp and how close up to it? I'm sure it varies and you need to watch it but just curious on any advice.

Reaction score
Too bad they have stopped selling 100w bulbs in Europe. Are they still available in US?

Reaction score
how come everyone doesn't do this???......I bought a couple of figures which were graded not that long ago (by original owner) and the draw back to their grading was the frosting....if its such simple procedure, I can't understand the original owner didn't do this????? Which lead me to the next area....if frosting is removed, can you get the figure regraded to reflex this??? excuse my ignorance.....

appreciate your advice

Shane...

Reaction score
how come everyone doesn't do this???......I bought a couple of figures which were graded not that long ago (by original owner) and the draw back to their grading was the frosting....if its such simple procedure, I can't understand the original owner didn't do this????? Which lead me to the next area....if frosting is removed, can you get the figure regraded to reflex this??? excuse my ignorance.....

appreciate your advice

Shane...
Yes you can.

Reaction score
What causes frosting?
Plasticisers leaching out of the plastic creates the micro crystals on the outside of the figure, theres a myth its mould, thats 100% untrue, it has zero characteristics of any type of mould or mildew.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My first time trying to get rid of frosting on the head of Han that is carded. I can tell that most have came off after 20 minutes under the sun. I did notice moisture bubbles in the inside of the bubble towards the 4 corner sides. Is this normal and will it go away? Figure still has a few sparkles on his head. Should I leave him out longer? Thanks!

Reaction score
The moisture should go away in a day or two. I'd take him out of the sun if he now looks OK to you. The frosting may come back in 6 months or so. Then you just have to repeat the process or live with the frosting. Please mention the frosting to the potential buyer if you ever decide to sell it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Darn, so there's a chance frosting can appear again? I thought one application under the sun and a climate control storage area would prevent frosting from happening in the future. And of course, I will mention the frosting if I ever do sell which I doubt at this time.

Reaction score
I haven't had frosting come back after 3+ years on several pieces. I've talked to others who have had it stay away for a decade...

You should be fine in CA.

Reaction score
Perfect! I hope that it doesn't come back because I'm sure with exposure to sunlight here and there may cause the bubble to yellow which is something I'd like to avoid.

Reaction score
I have passed on many vintage MOC gems because of frosting. Good to know how to get rid of it now.