FOTW #4 Luke Farmboy

Dax

Reaction score
A bit of variety for this character!

First image is the obligatory Toltoys cardback with the bubble still partially sealed to the card. This is the original cardback, bubble and figure, just missing the footer. The ESB cardback is a cut bubble, sliced carefully around the top and sides. The footer is original to this card and has a U printed on the base but the figure is from somewhere else.

Next we have the 1995 POTF Classic 4-pack which I always intended to open and just never got around to. We also have Luke Cosplaying as The Sundance Kid.

Lastly we have a nice VOTC run I've been working on. There's the production figure, a loose prototype figure, and packaging sample which was intended to be mocked up for use at Australian Toy Fare but was never assembled. You can't see but there's a smaller page stapled to the back and this contains the artwork for the cardboard insert used at the bottom front of the packaging.

There was one final item I was hoping to include, but I've stored it somewhere very safe and can't find it! If I come across it I'll update the post :)

Lukes carded.jpg
Other Lukes.jpg
VOTC Luke.jpg

Reaction score
I never had a basic Luke as a kid, and I pined for one looking at the 65+ cardbacks I had. I tried to get a better view of him (and AT-AT Driver, Hoth Leia, Bossk, Snaggletooth...) with a magnifying glass but it just showed the ink dots. Damn low-res cardbacks! So, here's my new-fangled ones, and my Micro one. I got this set at Frontenac flea market near Titusville Florida when I was a teenager. Personally I prefer the ROTJ card that shows him in the Falcon gunner seat, but even those are prohibitively expensive. And I am trying to stop collecting "MOC's n' Box" as a general thing.

Reaction score
I never owned this figure as a kid either, I think my parents started buying me Star Wars toys in 83, considering ROTJ was the first SW movie I watched. I was happy to have the opportunity to buy the reissue in the Retro line. I had previously been looking for the Kenner version, but finding one in nice condition, at a decent price was a task. This figure screams vintage with the bright yellow hair and matching lightsaber. If I happen upon a Kenner version I'm keen on, I may have to buy it - that seems to be the trend with a lot of Kenner collectors - most own multiple versions of the same figure? Personally, I'm a 'one of each' type guy, as variants don't interest me.

Reaction score
I own multiple original Lukes. Not really for the variant aspect but because it's my favorite figure. I was lucky to pick up a few mint ones before prices went way up.

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a 'one of each' type guy, as variants don't interest me.
I had to make myself a rule against aggressively collecting variants. I collect Superior Toy's Rulers of the Earth toy dinosaur line. It's a Marx reissue. But Superior used this awesome looking marbled plastic. As a result, all Superiors are unique. Making "variants" a dangerous rabbit hole for me.

Reaction score
I had to make myself a rule against aggressively collecting variants. I collect Superior Toy's Rulers of the Earth toy dinosaur line. It's a Marx reissue. But Superior used this awesome looking marbled plastic. As a result, all Superiors are unique. Making "variants" a dangerous rabbit hole for me.
I had a similar issue with the Star Wars Comics Spain line - I created a blog about the niche assortment and started tracking down the variants and paint errors and realized it would spiral out of control. Instead of owning all of them, I decided to simply document those paint errors. I have a set of the entire run, and that's enough. A lot of times, I feel many of us go from collecting to hoarding, and its a line I don't want to cross, that's why I limit myself.

Reaction score
Oddly enough, the only farm boy Lukes I known are loose. One is used on my mail away display and the DT one stays in his case. One nice, the other somewhat rare. Wish I had the carded ones above, they are super sweet, esp the gunner cardbacks. Brown hair is on the wish list also.. Had the lemon head one as a kid, though I can't say where he might have gone...

IMG_1225.JPG

Dax

Reaction score
Love the display for that pre-production lightsaber! I was concerned that displaying it like that might result in some bending of the extended piece but it looks fine from what I can see.

Reaction score
Love the display for that pre-production lightsaber! I was concerned that displaying it like that might result in some bending of the extended piece but it looks fine from what I can see.
Did you ever watch Plastic Galaxy? Brian Stillman, the director, made that display. Had to keep it together. And I was a little worried about it too, but it works incredibly well. Probably my favorite piece in the collection.

Dax

Reaction score
Did you ever watch Plastic Galaxy? Brian Stillman, the director, made that display. Had to keep it together. And I was a little worried about it too, but it works incredibly well. Probably my favorite piece in the collection.
Thanks for the extra detail, that's very helpful as I didn't watch Plastic Galaxy. Gives me confidence in displaying mine when I finally find out where I have stored it!

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra detail, that's very helpful as I didn't watch Plastic Galaxy. Gives me confidence in displaying mine when I finally find out where I have stored it!
You have a pre-prod DT and you aren't sure where you have it stored????

I want to party with you.

Dax

Reaction score
Oh trust me, my life is not as exciting as you think! I live in a small apartment so at any one time much of my collection is packed away. I know I have packed it away in "a safe place". So safe even I don't know where it is. I've gone looking for it several times but no luck yet. Don't stress, I definitely still have it! I do know where the letter of authentication from The Earth is though, so that's something!

Thanks for the tip about Plastic Galaxy, I'll go track that down :)

Reaction score
The EP underneath the coin artwork is from the Earth find, along with the DT saber he was paired with. That DT doesn't appear to be pre-prod in any way, but I decided to keep it with the EP since that's how it was sold.

I hear you about space though.... I have all my display pieces in one corner of the living room... But I'm not organized enough to rotate them out. I just keep trying to cram more in LOL

Reaction score
I have four or five of this Luke scattered through the collection. I need to be VERY careful with one of them, because as I was dusting and cleaning recently, I heard the "snap" of a saber tip! It's still attached thankfully. But it is indeed very close to breaking off.