ForceCast #245: E-Canon

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Will Disney respect the EU continuity, will they disregard it, or will they rewrite it entirely? Will they redefine what we consider canon? Join us as we discuss what Disney's plans for the future may be. Also, a look at Star Wars 1313, news on some upcoming short stories, and more!

Click here to listen.

Show Notes:

The HoloNet

Discussion

• At a Q&A following the The Clone Wars Season 5 finale screening at Lucasfilm, Dave Filoni discussed how the company was trying to maintain greater story consistency across its various platforms and products. "That's not been something that I think we really had prior to now," Filoni said. (Hat tip to Bryan Young for his Q&A recording on the Full of Sith podcast.) With this new cross-platform consistency goal in mind, how will Disney treat canon and the EU going forward? Eric and Erik debate the merits of a Disney-led Star Wars continuity reboot.

Fan Focus

ForceCast Wiki
Information about our programs, hosts, and much more is available on The Official ForceCast Wiki. This episode's wiki entry can be found here. Sign up and contribute today!

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this episode, it appears that you (intentionally or not) have given a better balance to non-CW material. In particular I enjoyed the news and focus on the BF3 prelude. I would love to hear more about KOTOR as a gamer I stuck with the JK series and BF only - never really ventured online although I did try a free go of galaxies.

Reaction score
agreed. The Forcecast is far more balanced Podcast now, it covers every aspect of fandom. Great Podcast :)

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know how I was sucked into the whole CW is the 'be all and end all' that it used to be. RFR could almost be called the CWPodcast.

Reaction score
enjoyed the show.

My thoughts on what they are going to do. I say they are keeping the Old Republic stuff, rewriting the stuff inbetween Ep3 and 4 and then completley getting rid of the Post ROTJ EU stuff.

Here's why. If the movie does take place 40 years or so after ROTJ and stars the Grand kids then you have a LOT to explain in the movie.

EP VII
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away
Ok at least 2 major wars have happend that almost destroyed the galaxy, Emperor Palpentine came back and then died, Han and Leia had kids but 2 of them are dead, Luke got married but his wife died. Oh and Chewy? Remember him yeah he's dead too.

There is no way they are having a new Star Wars movie with out Chewy showing up.

You have to remember we fans who read the books are the SMALLEST part of the fanbase. The books usually only sell around 100k to 200k at best.
Star Wars Total Franchise Revenue | Statistic Brain

Also remember there is an entire fanbase that has grown up watching the Clone wars and the Prequels. There are far more of these fans then there are of us.

I"m a teacher and I was shocked when I found out the majority of the kids enjoyed the Prequels.

Oh also one of you mentioned that they didn't rewrite marvel when they bought it.... well they did with the movies at least. They took what they wanted and changed what they didn't like. Look what they did to the Manderain. Of course Lucas has a history of doing this already, the prequels ended up changing a lot of things. In fact it was because of the Prequels changing so much that they ended up making the new Canon System anyway.

Reaction score
It's surprising how many teachers are on these boards! I'm one too.

i agree that it's surprising how many kids love the prequels and found the originals boring. I don't think that Ep7 will deliberately destroy the EU, rather just ignore it.

Reaction score
It's surprising how many teachers are on these boards! I'm one too.

i agree that it's surprising how many kids love the prequels and found the originals boring. I don't think that Ep7 will deliberately destroy the EU, rather just ignore it.
Well perhaps not deliberately destroy it but i'm sure they will ignore it just like they did for the Prequels and in the Clone Wars. I mean they can't have Episode 7 without Chewbacca, even in just a cameo.

Reaction score
From our POV yes. But my son who is 10 wouldn't care if Chewie was there or not. When I was talking to a group of 16 year old students last week all they wanted to see was action. They didnt really want Luke etc as in their words "aren't they old now"
as wrong as it is most kids today that I've come across want to watch a film of a video game.

Reaction score
From our POV yes. But my son who is 10 wouldn't care if Chewie was there or not. When I was talking to a group of 16 year old students last week all they wanted to see was action. They didnt really want Luke etc as in their words "aren't they old now"
as wrong as it is most kids today that I've come across want to watch a film of a video game.
your son might be too young then. All I know is almost everyone I have ever met that has watched Star Wars loves Chewie. Come on you know what I mean when someone does a Chewbaca roar.

I'm not saying that Luke, Han or Chewie will be the stars in the movie they will just have cameos. But they are expected to make an apperence.

As for the Post ROTJ EU its gonna be easier for them to ignore and rewrite it then to conform to it. Look at what they did with Star Trek. They changed A LOT.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh I agree with many of your comments but these films are not for us. They're for the current crop of kids (like the Prequels were for their generation at the time). If Han, Luke and Leia proved too difficult to sign on (especially Harrison) then I don't think it'll have any negative impact on taking personally. When the OT came out it wasn't our parents taking us to the see movies again and again, it was the kids forcing it. Likewise with these sequels. If Chewie is in the new movies I think it'll only be as a gesture to appease our generation.

Reaction score
Oh I agree with many of your comments but these films are not for us. They're for the current crop of kids (like the Prequels were for their generation at the time). If Han, Luke and Leia proved too difficult to sign on (especially Harrison) then I don't think it'll have any negative impact on taking personally. When the OT came out it wasn't our parents taking us to the see movies again and again, it was the kids forcing it. Likewise with these sequels. If Chewie is in the new movies I think it'll only be as a gesture to appease our generation.
The 3 main cast are locked in and yes I agree it is not for us but I think you seriously dismiss how much the younger generation loves Chewie. Like I said he will just have a cameo but I guarantee he will be in it. There is absolutely no reason for them to try and fit this into the EU.

Look what they did with the Prequels or even Star Trek.