For Sale Posts, Don't Remove Info When Sold

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
For Sale Posts, Don\'t Remove Info When Sold

So, though it's pretty clear to members here that sellers should not remove information from their posts when an item closes, some members are apparently having difficulty actually complying with this.

The information is contained in the thread at the top of this forum titled: "Must Read If Starting A Thread Here"

To counter this, I think we'll just set a new procedure.

Any member that notices a new post in classifieds that is not already "quoted for reference", should feel free to do so. Just reply to the original post with the Quote reply button, and add in text that says "quoted for reference".

That way the original post will remain archived regardless of whether the post creator ignores the don't remove procedure or not.

Thanks.

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Re: For Sale Posts, Don\'t Remove Info When Sold

moving up.

Reaction score

Thanks for bringing this up Philip - I was actually thinking of starting a thread reminding people about your sticky post. As a new GG collector I like using these forums along with ebay to get a good reference idea as to what I should pay for a given bust. Removing the original sale price really deters that.

Reaction score

What about a case like what's happening with my thread? I'm going in and crossing out busts that have been sold, but the prices in the thread are not always what they are selling for. On more than one occasion when someone has asked for multiple busts I've discounted the prices listed, but haven't updated the prices in the sale thread.

Reaction score

jokabofe said:
On more than one occasion when someone has asked for multiple busts I've discounted the prices listed, but haven't updated the prices in the sale thread.
Philip can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think we all realize that there's some "wheelin' and dealin'" behind the scenes especially with multiple purchases. I would advise simply leaving the original asking price. At the least that would help and it isn't always happening when people zero out their price and just write "sold" in it's place. If a price gets reduced because of an item not selling, then I think that's worthy of documentation.

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score

The problem isn't with people who update their threads and then ask for them to be closed. I think most members doing this aren't the issue.

Often members I write to show then they should not delete information say they were unaware of the procedure.

Placing the reference copy there should really work as a simple reminder to not remove their original post, edited or not.

Reaction score

It really does help when info remains. It's a good reference when searching for prices.

Reaction score

It's not only that - removing info from threads has an impact on SEO...